PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA 196.75 kills video cards ( Warning ) TRY 188.25 !!

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Blizzard have issued a warning , however i'd recommend not using them just incase even with avp or Battlefield bad company 2

NVIDIA 196.75 kills video cards
http://starcraft.incgamers.com/blog/comments/nvidia-19675-drivers-starcraft-ii-beta-rip-pc-graphic-cards

05 Mar 2010 at 02:26:09 by Tom Hernandez

Several StarCraft II beta testers have reported their PC or video cards have died after installing the NVIDIA 196.75 drivers. The large amount of reports have prompted Blizzard Entertainment to issue an official statement on the tech support forums after identifying the source of the problem.

Some players were blaming the StarCraft II Beta client's latest patch, but a Blizzard Tech Support representative quickly explained the issue is caused by the latest NVIDIA 196.75 drivers.

Blizzard recommended to uninstall the NVIDIA 196.75 drivers, and to downgrade to the previous driver version: 196.21. Starcraft II Beta is not the only application affected, thus this is a worldwide alert to every gamer out there. Blizzard concluded the fans control in this NVIDIA driver is not working properly.

This means every single 3D application (i.e. games) running these drivers is going to be exposed to overheating and in some extreme cases it will cause video card, motherboard and/or processor damage. If said motherboard, processor or graphic card is not under warranty, some gamers are in serious trouble playing intensive games such as Prototype, World of Warcraft, Farcry 3, Crysis and many other games with realistic graphics.

Some EVGA enthusiasts have been able to manually change the GPU fans speed settings using the EVGA Precision Tool to run their fans at 77% speed to compensate.

Blizzard Tech Support representative Datth, posted the following alert to all gamers:

We're getting reports where users are getting intermittent low FPS after installing these drivers. It seems that it is related to the fan control included in these drivers not working correctly and is causing the video card to overheat on 3D applications. This will affect Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft and StarCraft 2 Beta. Please uninstall the drivers and revert back to the older ones.

More information can be found on NVIDIA forum threads such as this and this.

We reached NVIDIA tonight for an official statement concerning this worrysome issue, and they quickly replied within less than an hour. NVIDIA's response is:

We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our Web site in the meantime.

One of this gamers reported insane egg-cooking temperatures as high as 104'C. Among the complaints found in the Starcraft II Beta forums are the following:

My GPU is going almost 100% usage and my temperatures are at 104'C, 1C below max. I'm wondering if it's because StarCraft 2 beta REALLY is a demanding game, or if it's overusing my GPU . Fans are always @ 100% and side case is off. My normal temps for (halo, mw2, oblivion are 80-90C.) in Window mode or fullscreen, doesn't matter. - Velakan.velakan

While playing it has happened several times already. The screen freezes and then i get the msg: Nvidia driver stopped responding and then SC2 closes. I am using the latest video driver.- Aastu.pacemaker

So drivers broke my GTX 295. Who to blame? Blizzard or nVidia? - Sydarm.scwire

Hello, I have a Nvidia 9800GT. Well when I found the posts talking about the flashing of screens related to the New Nvidia Drivers, I realized that that was why my previous Video Card went. I spent a week in utter pain and misery wondering what was wrong with my PC. I had Dell send me a replacement video card and even spoke with Nvidia as well since my Direct X versions were all over the place. Well I will not be playing the beta period until I receive notice of a fix from you guys until it is resolved. Well Unfortunately for me the bottom line was StarCraft 2 burned out my PC. I hope you come up with a fix soon, I will be anticipating it so I can resume trying out the wonderful game. Thankfully I have the new card and it was under warranty, but I will resume playing Starcraft 1 until it is fixed Thank you for your time and support.

My specs are:
Dell XPS 420
6 GB Ram
Quad Core at 2.39 Ghz
483GB Hard drive
Direct X 11
Vista 32 Bit
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT- Sniperbwd.zerg

I just downloaded the New Nvidia Geforce Driver 196.75 Windows 7 64 bit version. Well, as soon as I start up Starcraft 2 the game begins to flicker on and off. It just keeps doing this every second or so until the game just crashes. I guess I'll have to resort to my previous drivers to play the game still, but can this be fixed?- Grandkinz.scf

I'm having new issues after properly installing the new drivers from Nvidia located here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...6.75_whql.html (I am using win7 x64). When I launched the game, a black screen appeared and after two minutes the game crashed and generated a report. When I Relaunched the game I got up to the SC2 Loading screen and the game flickered a lot, eventually crashing around 50% of the way through. The 3rd time the game loaded fine, but when I alt tabbed to the desktop and went back into the game the game proceeded to flicker very fast, eventually slowing down to a still image. What else can I include to narrow this problem down?- Omegamerc.omega

I posted this on the general forum and someone suggested that this should be posted in the tech support so that the blues will know about it. This is regaurding the latest nvidia drivers that were released today. Several people including myself have stated that these drivers causes crashes and in my case, the screen flickers in fullscreen mode, once every second. Reverting back to previous drivers solves this problem. Just a heads up. - Strike.exia

PLEASE GIVE 188.25 or 188.43 A TRY !

32bit
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/25883-v18825-windows-7vista-32bit-lenovo/

64bit
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/25884-v18825-windows-7vista-64bit-lenovo/

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/26091-v18843-windows-7vista-32bit-dell-mobile-quadro/

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/26092-v18843-windows-7vista-64bit-dell-mobile-quadro/

DOWNLOAD DRIVER , UNPACK DRIVER , DOWNLOAD INF , COPY INF INTO UNPACKED DRIVER FOLDER AND OVERWRITE , INSTALL.

188.25 give me perfect frames and smooth gameplay , no freeze ups or stutters in avp 3 + Battlefield bad company 2 and i've used them time and time again. I tried the latest 19x and go back to the 188.25 :cool:

Atomic Zombie
03-05-2010, 01:57 AM
This is insane. Lucky i have a better gfx card, an ATI

Roft
03-05-2010, 02:00 AM
The 186.75 drivers work just fine for me. My temps hit a max of 74. This is just people not paying attention to their temps.

Seadogs
03-05-2010, 02:01 AM
The drivers broke automatic fan control, thus never ramping the fan up when the GPU heats up. If you run something like riva tuner to force fans to 100% you should be ok. (monitor your temps)

NVIDIA has already pulled these drivers.

EDIT: all the hooha coming out of blizzard about this is damage control. Lots of pissed off customers and Nvidia and Blizzard are having a pissing contest on who is at fault.

Moon2083
03-05-2010, 02:06 AM
The drivers broke automatic fan control, thus never ramping the fan up when the GPU heats up. If you run something like riva tuner to force fans to 100% you should be ok. (monitor your temps)

NVIDIA has already pulled these drivers.

I think something more was going on with these drivers. I had installed them and BC2 was crashing after like 10 mins of gameplay. I checked my temps and my two 8800gt cards were frying at 115c. I almost fell out of my chair. Fans were on 100% too, these temps were 30+ degrees higher than normal.

Needless to say I reverted back to the previous drivers I had. Thankfully my cards still work!!!

scottydog07
03-05-2010, 02:08 AM
thank you for the Warning.

jabroni619
03-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Bookmarked to use as reference for future "ATI drivers suck" threads

FourTwenny
03-05-2010, 02:20 AM
People should be controlling their fans them self anyways. I have been using that Evga precision tool for over a year now. Couldn't live without it.

Pro Tip: Evga Precision Tool works on any nvidia card, no matter who made it.

thefreeman0001
03-05-2010, 02:22 AM
ive never had to move from 191.07. I only update my drivers if im getting specific crashes on a game constantly and the only games to ever give me problems where source engine ones. first it was L4D 1 and then L4D 2 but this is pretty bad :/

ShadowMan
03-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Quite scary. Folks with damaged cards because of this driver issue should be rewarded an upcoming 480GTX.

wluo123
03-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Now now, those Starcraft II players have their PC on max 100% usage 38 hours of the day (playing SCII, I assume), thus leading to a very long overexposure of their gfx to higher than recommended temps.

For normal people like us, it's no problem.

Ramzy
03-05-2010, 02:26 AM
The latest drivers also cause cards to go into power saving mode for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Custom rivatuner fan profiles ftw.

Zukabazuka
03-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Don't have Nvidia so lucky me. To bad for those who installed the driver though.

jabroni619
03-05-2010, 02:30 AM
People should be controlling their fans them self anyways. I have been using that Evga precision tool for over a year now. Couldn't live without it.

Believe it or not, there are people out there who have no desire to ♥♥♥♥ around with tweaking every last little detail on their PC. Some people want to simply install their video card and play a game, and they absolutely should be able to do that without having to babysit fan speed.

zsr123
03-05-2010, 02:30 AM
using 186.75 ... everything is fine ...

Random Name
03-05-2010, 02:34 AM
back to 196.21

ShadowMan
03-05-2010, 02:37 AM
The 186.75, where you guys find that ? In Nvidia, I see the 186.18 and the 185.85

Charlie100
03-05-2010, 02:42 AM
♥♥♥in hell so annoying i JUST updated it yesterday!

DDaron
03-05-2010, 02:45 AM
So that's why the game crashed a couple times yesterday and gave me a weird distorted image in windows. :eek:

Ramzy
03-05-2010, 02:45 AM
♥♥♥in hell so annoying i JUST updated it yesterday!

It is annoying.

I disabled RivaTuner just to test.. My card got past 85C, and started to glitch with tons of artifacts all over the screen, all the while the fan stayed at 40% fan (idle fan speed).

Re-enabled my RivaTuner fan profiles and it popped back up to 100% and slowly went to 40% after stabilizing the temp.

The nvidia drivers have always been this way with temperature, though -- Although this time it has gotten really bad.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1z674m.png

madmakz2
03-05-2010, 02:54 AM
+rep , luckily im "still" on .21

dinky2012
03-05-2010, 03:06 AM
guess i got lucky. i run cooler with the 196.75 than the 196.34. i always use evga precision to monitor my temps.

PrivateBurke
03-05-2010, 03:27 AM
This warning is very real by the way. Nvidia has removed all the new driver from it's site including the options for the beta's before January of '010!

dinky2012
03-05-2010, 03:29 AM
but i see the beta 186.08 on their site, along with every one after that

Rampant
03-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Far out I've been using this for 24 hours do you think it done damage?

EeekiE
03-05-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm using 196.75 on 2xGTX280 SLI and my fan speeds DO ramp up??

Why?

Komsomol
03-05-2010, 03:43 AM
Thanks a million for the warning, i had downloaded the drivers and was about to install them today! +rep

nebenschwein1
03-05-2010, 03:44 AM
is it enough if i go to the device manager and just click the "rollback" button on the drivers tab?

FuryX
03-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Wtf are they trying to get sales on the gtx480??? lol

GrimCW
03-05-2010, 03:49 AM
playing intensive games such as Prototype, World of Warcraft,

i'm sorry but is that a joke?! ROFLMAO... WoW intensive? maybe to my 1998 Compaq Presario system i have under the desk unused in years, but to a modern, even off the shelf PC?
my 6 year old laptop can max that game and still get better than 60 FPS...

anywho yeah, glad i didn't upgrade anyways.

MomentDEFINED
03-05-2010, 03:58 AM
Benn running them on my GTX260 SLI setup since they were released, I really hope that no permanent damage has been done at this point.

Azath
03-05-2010, 04:09 AM
thanks for the heads up , immedietly uninstalled the flawed 196.75 and back to .21 , appreciate your sensivity , wish more of internet community be like you.thanks again if it wasnt this forums if it wasnt you ,perhaps i would have lost my gtx295.jeez*shivers*

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 04:16 AM
You are most welcome , hopefully it saves more people from killing their cards

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 04:21 AM
UPDATE

NVIDIA
To all users reporting fan issues. We will be posting a newer driver shortly with a fix.

ensabah
03-05-2010, 04:22 AM
The 186.75 drivers work just fine for me. My temps hit a max of 74. This is just people not paying attention to their temps.

same here

tomg126
03-05-2010, 04:24 AM

zomg you are so cool!

Ggd07
03-05-2010, 04:25 AM
i'm sorry but is that a joke?! ROFLMAO... WoW intensive? maybe to my 1998 Compaq Presario system i have under the desk unused in years, but to a modern, even off the shelf PC?

The funny thing is, I laughed my ♥♥♥ of on this one too..

like.. games with realistic graphics (world of warcraft)..
hahah... Thank you for making me not being the only one :D

IGingerMadManI
03-05-2010, 04:29 AM
Good old 186.18...

Fangoram
03-05-2010, 04:40 AM

I laughed about the "realistic" part but the fact you're saying wow isn't graphics intensive just shows how little you have actually played it..... Try a 25 man with a ton of casters and ♥♥♥♥ going on...... Friends i7 with gtx 250 still hiccups with every graphic setting maxed...

The rest of the game though is a ♥♥♥♥ing joke you could probably run it on a pc from 1998 lol.

Smasher4ya
03-05-2010, 04:44 AM
yea right blame nvidia for some malware from starcraft beta files

Konobono
03-05-2010, 04:49 AM
I've been running 1.96 since March 2, and have checked temps once I heard the problem. 67c while playing BC2, same as usual (8800GT).

I feel lucky though, since I got an ASUS card that refuses to let me modify the fan using any utility (rivatuner included), then I have had no prob with 1.96.

bunceyball
03-05-2010, 04:59 AM
How do we know if any damage has been done?

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 05:15 AM
yea right blame nvidia for some malware from starcraft beta files

:confused:

It's a bug in the drivers , nvidia said so

End of

yuuks7785
03-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Urgh quite disappointing, glad I read this thread thanks for the heads up, I usually manually set the fan up and have an OSD that monitors temps so hopefully no damage was caused. But this is pretty ridiculous on NVIDIA's part, their drivers have been pretty bad since the 190.xx.

yuuks7785
03-05-2010, 05:21 AM
How do we know if any damage has been done?

Their are a few tell tale signs, anything from crash to desktop or constant BSOD's as well as artifacts in game (3D) and in windows (2D) can be signs of a defective card. Also if by this article it seems like the video cards are overheating rapidly, you can always take a smell inside your case and see if you smell that melted plastic kind of smell which may be damage/short circuit on your PCB.

n050up4u
03-05-2010, 05:22 AM
yeah gamers who expect to play highly abusive games to begin with dont use auto fan control.. They lock the fan to 100% despite the loud noise. latest drivers wont kill your hardware if you've got the fan constantly maxed.

SpunkyKuma
03-05-2010, 05:24 AM
LOL wow, and I JUST got my ATI yesterday, NVidia failed with that one.

And those of you say that it works for you, uninstall it anyways, they removed it from their download database for a reason. Better safe than sorry right? Or are you one of those that doesn't want to send back your Toyota with the poor gas pedal design because it hasn't happened to you yet?

uprize
03-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Farcry 3? LOLWUT

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Damn!

I installed the 196.75 driver update yesterday for my 9800 GT, seemed to be ok at first but then could not access the Nvidia control panel so unistalled rebooted reinstalled etc.

After several further unsuccessful attempts I left my PC to reboot and when returning I found that it was shut down and would not reboot.

PC will now only fire up without GPU inserted in to the motherboard.

I guess by reading some of the posts here that my card is probably now dead.

So thanks for the super expensive update, it was just brilliant!

####################################

In addition:

I thought I would give it one last try, just on the off chance!

Inserted the card, connected the power, pressed the power and hey presto...for about half a second it fired

Followed closely by a loud pop, a small piece of chip fizzed past me as the smoke began to rise.

Definitely toast now!

-

I think it's too late for me.

My 8800GT got soo hot my system crashed, I rolled back to older drivers... it's working now but it's not perfectly stable like it used to be.

I'm guessing my card has been damaged and I've heard of many people's cards being killed across forums.

For the people who's cards have been killed, what is nVidia going to do?

You've killed cards out of warranty for many.

-

I am also having overheating issue with the new drivers. My card used to max out (EVGA 9800 GT) during Crysis at 75 C, but earlier when playing MW2 it got to 106 C! My screen was going black every 20 seconds and then I decided to close the program down.

Reverted back to older drivers, but now my card is reaching the 85-90 C zone quite often...I think Nvidia damaged my card.

-

My XFX 9800GT 512MB seems to have died as a result of these drivers. Windows 7 x64.

I'm guessing I've experienced the fan control problem and it's cooked my hardware. This is one time when i really wish I'd seen a BSOD, may it would have saved it.

-

yesetrday my card turn to 150 celcius thanks to this drivers . go~ its smell are just like when you left your ion on a nylon shirt.. thank god this card still alive after 3 minutes in hell . this card not even cannot survive safe mode load due to overheat. manage to remove those crappy drivers using ubuntu and reinstall back 196.21 . i nothe that this fan are stuck at 40 % even GC is load up .. why you guys quickly declare this drivers as WHQL digitaly signature but this drivers is far worst than beta version ? i dunno how many NVIDIA card are toast yesterday because of this drivers..

-

I installed the newest drivers, 196.75.

Loading up the same game, once my video card hit 90 degrees, the fan speed did not change. It remained at 20%. The video card then hit 100 degrees. Fan speed still at 20%. Once the video card hit 105 degrees, I shut down the game. I didn't want to risk it going too much higher.

I have the case open on my machine so I can hear when the fan speed changes. This was to make sure that with the latest drivers, the fan wasn't indeed changing, but just not registering in the monitoring software. The fan speed never changed with the 196.75 so there is indeed a problem with the drivers.

Nvidia should be issuing refunds for burned out cards

fumanshoe64
03-05-2010, 05:48 AM
luckily escaped this disaster. taught me the lesson of waiting a couple weeks before updating drivers in a big hurry to try to grab a few extra fps though.

SpunkyKuma
03-05-2010, 05:52 AM
Inserted the card, connected the power, pressed the power and hey presto...for about half a second it fired

Followed closely by a loud pop, a small piece of chip fizzed past me as the smoke began to rise.
HOLY ♥♥♥♥

sgtkoolaid
03-05-2010, 06:10 AM
thank god i didnt run into any issues so far. but I made sure to run Riva tuner and enable my direct fan control and set to 80%. I believe if cards have been fried due to this, then Nvidia should be set on doing some refunds.

Brap
03-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the post, I've been wondering since yesterday why my core temperature was higher than normal, even with all clocks at low performance and idle - Usually it would be Ambient 30c - Core 36c ; now it's Ambient 30c - Core 53c; Even with the fan at 100% 3100+RPM
I think it's a bit more than a fan issue.

MomentDEFINED
03-05-2010, 06:32 AM
It's a real shame, too. Crysis Warhead saw a solid performance boost on my rig and I was hoping to sit down and finish it with that.

n050up4u
03-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the post, I've been wondering since yesterday why my core temperature was higher than normal, even with all clocks at low performance and idle - Usually it would be Ambient 30c - Core 36c ; now it's Ambient 30c - Core 53c; Even with the fan at 100% 3100+RPM
I think it's a bit more than a fan issue.

core only 36 idle? seems unlikely.. What card are you using to begin with? my GTX 260 idles around 45-52c and the PCB temperature is usually around 40-45, right now its at 44 core 37 pcb.

solar
03-05-2010, 06:37 AM
D: i was wondering why BC2 was flickering yesturday. now i know. uninstalling tonight!

cristianesza
03-05-2010, 06:40 AM
I too have experienced overheating issues with the latest drivers (ie: 80C after like half an hour of playing).

Downgrading now.

bunceyball
03-05-2010, 06:42 AM
The only artifacts i've seen when playing all my games come from BFBC2 so i don't know if its just that the game is glitchy or my graphics cards busted thanks to Nvidia. I've tested RE5, Crysis, Supreme Commander, Farcry and its just bad company doing the weird texture glitch and artifacts.

FourTwenny
03-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Believe it or not, there are people out there who have no desire to ♥♥♥♥ around with tweaking every last little detail on their PC. Some people want to simply install their video card and play a game, and they absolutely should be able to do that without having to babysit fan speed.

Really... I mean setting a fan to run at 77% or 80% before you turn a game on is not really to complicated. You even set it by dragging a slider into place. They have these amazing devices for people who can not handle such simple things though. They call them consoles.

matte3560
03-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Intensive games such as World of Warcraft... I lol'd

Brap
03-05-2010, 07:03 AM
core only 36 idle? seems unlikely.. What card are you using to begin with? my GTX 260 idles around 45-52c and the PCB temperature is usually around 40-45, right now its at 44 core 37 pcb.

It only seems unlikely because you're comparing it to your own experiences. - A 3 month old 285 btw, I was hoping to wait for the new cards but I had an 9800GX2 SLI setup die.

Just reinstalled 196.34 - Ambient is 30c and Core is 37c - A 16c drop. So I'm happy with that. :D

Edit: Neilsouth thanks for the news, I'm giving you my first ever appointed +REP

Komsomol
03-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Hmmm.. 188.25 kept causing BC2 to crash on my rig. Went back to 196.21 and worked fine again.

MastaSHOnuff
03-05-2010, 07:26 AM
holy chit balls! must go back now! get to the choppa. goooooooooo nooooowwwwwww! nvidia sure did pull that last driver update. fawkers! lol

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_196.21_whql.html

7infinity
03-05-2010, 07:26 AM
I've installed the driver, plus have riva tuner with a 280gtx and the fan and card still alive, what the ♥♥♥♥ are u talking dude

DarkOneX
03-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Drivers working great here, but I've always used that EVGA Precision program to force my fan to 100% always so I wouldn't have ran into this. Don't see why you would want the fan to fluctuate anyway, it's not like it's loud.

Also I lol'd at the WoW thing too, I still can't figure out why peeps even play that, it's so dang old and ugly looking and it's definitely not anywhere near graphic intensive regardless of how many low textured low poly'd cruddy looking people are on the screen at once.

knight_kin
03-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Cool Story Bro.

AR-15
03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
This is why every1 who owns a gaming rig should run realtemp 24/7 with a TJ-alarm set.

I have my alarm set for 80c for my cpu and gpu, if they ever get that high a really loud alarm will set off while gaming. :cool:

+cgo+Olah
03-05-2010, 08:15 AM
wow, I have those drivers right now D:
I'm using the ones you suggested

Orwell1984
03-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Good thing I just ordered an HD5850 to replace my GTX260, buhwahahahahaha

knight_kin
03-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I've experienced Zero issues with 196.75, however i'll keep an eye out. Nvidia DID remove it from whql so that tells me something is up.

Rampant
03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
You guys do know that when theres over 50 people in a raid on World of Warcraft a GTX 295 would struggle for FPS. The vanilla wow is not very graphics intense but the Wraith of the Lich king will lag most new video cards when there's over 25-30 people.

I'm not ♥♥♥♥ting you.

Skillet
03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Drivers working great here, but I've always used that EVGA Precision program to force my fan to 100% always so I wouldn't have ran into this. Don't see why you would want the fan to fluctuate anyway, it's not like it's loud.

^^^^This. Using precision, I always set my fans (sli) to 100% when gaming. New drivers work fine for me :)

weedo
03-05-2010, 08:28 AM
I've been running these new drivers on my GTX280, but I use rivatuner with a custom fan control profile. Have been playing Portal and BC2, no issues.

Spaah
03-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Even though I haven't had any issues with the newest drivers I'm not taking any chances.

Thanks for the heads up

Charlie100
03-05-2010, 09:16 AM
u know what now that u mention it i do remember getting a blue screen after quitting l4d2. a physical memory dump and then comp restarted. it was the most unexpected thing ever. i dono if it was a graphic card failure but i dont think there was any damage done. everythings working fine.
reverted back to the older version so far so good.

LauZaIM
03-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Drivers that kill their own video cards. I just had to lol. My last card was a nVidia and it randomly died on me too.

ClanLord
03-05-2010, 09:26 AM
im using it and so far have no problems at all
i am also using riva tuner to set 100% fan speed

GPU 285GTX

mundox86
03-05-2010, 09:26 AM

This man speaks truth!

RDJ
03-05-2010, 09:31 AM
This is good for those who always criticize ATI Drivers.

Chief82
03-05-2010, 09:32 AM
This man speaks truth!

Yep, same here. I've been using EVGA Precision for quite some time and have never seen my cards' temps above 65C with fan speed profiles set at 70% (aftermarket coolers on XFX 8800 GTs), even after several hours of gameplay.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/EVGA-Precision-1.7.1-download-2251.html

Go get it...dooo eeeet. ;)

xplay2.0
03-05-2010, 09:36 AM

I max at 60C with a GTX 275. What do you have?

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 09:36 AM
im using it and so far have no problems at all
i am also using riva tuner to set 100% fan speed

GPU 285GTX

Thats why then

This is affecting automatic fan users

dinky2012
03-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I max at 60C with a GTX 275. What do you have?

same here, with fan at 50%

xplay2.0
03-05-2010, 09:42 AM
same here, with fan at 50%

I see, I set it at 71-91 constant.

Mika24
03-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I only got this wen my pc came out of sleep. GPU fans were at 0% and i got 95 dgrees whit my gtx275.
I was lucky, and saw it in time before burn my gpu.

Brandito
03-05-2010, 09:50 AM
been using those drivers for a few days and no problems.

i'll continue using them as well. i'd see screen artifacts and tearing if the card was overheating, i haven't seen any of that so this sounds like bs to me.

Keyelite
03-05-2010, 09:55 AM
This is nothing new from all the ♥♥♥♥ drivers Nvidia puts out. I hit 97 degrees C sometimes and the fan is only at 80%. What the ♥♥♥♥? Cmon. It's so annoying having to monitor everything to make sure my computer wont blow up.

Oh, and my last NVIDIA card died on me (8800 GTX). I'm assuming from overheating because I don't think the drivers utilize the GPU fans correctly.

soundcreepy
03-05-2010, 09:56 AM
fan was working fine for me...granted I use MSI Afterburner....but ill revert anyways

Brandito
03-05-2010, 09:58 AM
running furmark right now, gpu is at 88C pretty steady and fan duty cycle is 100%. i am using rivatuner to get temps.

these are stock clocks on an evga gtx280.

sucks that blizzard put out a buggy game and is passing the buck :\

i suggest to the chicken littles in this thread that you test these things for yourself before you believe everything you see on the internet.

i was laughing as i read all the posts from people accepting this as gospel without even considering the thought that blizzard is wrong.

sparta69
03-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I have 196.21 WHQL driver and I have never had any problems. This 196.75 you speak of is a beta driver which is why there are these reports of burning out vidieo cards. I never download anything beta until the real deal comes out. You should do the same.

Brandito
03-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I have 196.21 WHQL driver and I have never had any problems. This 196.75 you speak of is a beta driver which is why there are these reports of burning out vidieo cards. I never download anything beta until the real deal comes out. You should do the same.

it was whql actually, but nice try!

sparta69
03-05-2010, 10:12 AM
it was whql actually, but nice try!

not according to the nvidia website....I just checked by searching for drivers....it comes back saying 196.21.....nothing about 196.75. I manually check for nvidia drivers. You know the option for:

Product Type....G-force
Product Series....G-force 200 series
Operating system....windows 7 64-bit
Language....english

it's right there.....196.21 released 1-19-2010

there's no nice try about it!

wluo123
03-05-2010, 10:13 AM
not according to the nvidia website....I just checked by searching for drivers....it comes back saying 196.21.....nothing about 196.75. I manually check for nvidia drivers. You know the option for:

Product Type....G-force
Product Series....G-force 200 series
Operating system....windows 7 64-bit
Language....english

it's right there.....196.21 released 1-19-2010

there's no nice try about it!

Lol

Good try

MomentDEFINED
03-05-2010, 10:15 AM
The drivers were removed, which is why they are no longer available when you search manually. I can confirm for you that they are WHQL as I am looking at the exe right now. These were not beta drivers.

Ryoushadow
03-05-2010, 10:15 AM
playing intensive games such as Prototype, World of Warcraft, Farcry 3, Crysis and many other games with realistic graphics.
lolwut

sparta69
03-05-2010, 10:16 AM
can you show me this link to 196.75 driver??

Mr.Paincakes
03-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Word.

sparta69
03-05-2010, 10:20 AM
The drivers were removed, which is why they are no longer available when you search manually. I can confirm for you that they are WHQL as I am looking at the exe right now. These were not beta drivers.

I'd love to see it. And thank you for the intelegent response rather than "NICE TRY"....now it makes sense as to why It was not there.

wluo123
03-05-2010, 10:26 AM
*sigh*

You do know what WHQL means?

It's WHQL, regardless whether it's posted on nVidia website or not.

NT GG

Now, if you still fail to understand, check out this Google cache (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:NfdBRbkhZukJ:www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_196.75_whql.html+196.75+whql+driver&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

Brandito
03-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I'd love to see it. And thank you for the intelegent response rather than "NICE TRY"....now it makes sense as to why It was not there.

my job isn't to educate you on your ignorance, the drivers were whql, why would i lie about that?

not to mention someone already said they'd been removed.

sorry to make you look uninformed...actually no i'm not :D

http://www.tweakguides.com/

go there, they were added then removed.

i'm keeping them personally. they're working fine for me.

Brandito
03-05-2010, 10:27 AM
*sigh*

You do know what WHQL means?

It's WHQL, regardless whether it's posted on nVidia website or not.

NT GG

exactly, microsoft approved the driver and therefore they're whql. nv removing them from their site didn't remove the whql approval.

alexkapi12
03-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I am running 196.75 with my 2 nvidia 8800GT's SLI and don't have any problems.

sparta69
03-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Hey thats Great!! My bad....fortunately for me I don't feel uninformed or ignorant. I appreciate your response and the link....enough said right?

norsairius
03-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm running the 196.75 drivers just fine... My fans are set to spin up to whatever speed is needed automatically. I've never seen my video card exceed 74-76 degrees C.

I wonder if this might have to do with some odd hardware configurations? Video card manufacturers?

Gnomewhosnaught
03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
me and my 5970 are all cuddly reading this thread.

Brandito
03-05-2010, 10:44 AM

that awesome, good luck with vender support though :D evga has my back for life! literally!

ati has some truly terrible vendors compared to nv. it's almost worth it to take a performance hit just to get better support.

truth is if these drive3rs did kill my card, evga would send me a new one, possibly a faster one for free.

SpunkyKuma
03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
that awesome, good luck with vender support though :D evga has my back for life! literally!

ati has some truly terrible vendors compared to nv. it's almost worth it to take a performance hit just to get better support.

truth is if these drive3rs did kill my card, evga would send me a new one, possibly a faster one for free.

What? Sapphire are very good supporters.

EROCKK92
03-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Oh look, a video card fanboy. That has got to be the most pathetic thing I've ever come across. Some PC nerd celebrating because he thinks he has the best product. You are a sad loser.

I've owned both brands and they both have there problems.

Brandito
03-05-2010, 10:56 AM
What? Sapphire are very good supporters.

compared to a company like evga? lifetime warranty, step up program, great RMA service, they even support people who overclock, overvolt, and modify the cooling on their cards.

they created their OWN overclocking and overvolting software for their users.

ninjikiran
03-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I dunno I am still using these drivers and have no problems. Maybe EVGA precision that came with my video card is handling the fan control.

alexkapi12
03-05-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm running the 196.75 drivers just fine... My fans are set to spin up to whatever speed is needed automatically. I've never seen my video card exceed 74-76 degrees C.

I wonder if this might have to do with some odd hardware configurations? Video card manufacturers?

That's what I think. Both of my 8800's are made by nvidia.

cl_hulksmash
03-05-2010, 11:27 AM
or just not be fu'cking stupid and set your fan manually

Clonesa
03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Wow NVidia, combine with with all of the faulty 8 series and 9 series cards produced that everyone blamed every game under the sun for causing the death of their card you'd think NVidia would be losing market share. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ people are stupid. People STILL blaming l4d and bc2 when their 8800 dies. I ♥♥♥♥ing laughed that Blizzard had to release a public statement to get morons to stop blaming Starcraft 2.

Brandito
03-05-2010, 11:42 AM

it could be argued that setting it manually is stupid. who wants to listen to a screaming gpu fan all the time or have to raise and lower it manually before and after a game?

yes you could set it below 100% but above where it idles, but i'd rather the fan go to full when it's needed which is exactly what it does now.

i was doing this with gpu fans before it was supported on the actual cards, it's the smart way to do things.

skeps1s
03-05-2010, 11:44 AM
♥♥♥♥ Nvidia, I have had enough of this crap. I'm ordering a XFX 5770 as soon as possible. Not only are Nvidia's cards more expensive, but they also don't perform as well as most ATI cards. I'm pretty sure my 9800 GTX+ got permanent damage too. I normally have rivatuner set to 100% fan speed, but I forgot to do it yesterday while playing BC2. Now whenever I go in to BC2 my frame rate is crap no matter what settings it's on. Something definitely happened. I'm downloading a few other recent games I have bought to test it out though.

Heids24
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Ignorant comment.

Maizel
03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I think Nvidia took those drivers down

C0RR4D0
03-05-2010, 11:55 AM
wow, glad I caught this thread
thing is, the game's worked flawlessly since I updated..... whereas it crashed on me twice before

SpunkyKuma
03-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Um yeah not everyone is tech savvy, birdbrain.

Brandito
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Um yeah not everyone is tech savvy, birdbrain.

if they're tech savvy they won't do what he mentioned. they may know how but will also understand why6 it's not a good solution.

Moon2083
03-05-2010, 12:17 PM
As I mentioned before, it's not just the auto fans not working. I had my fans at 100% like I always do, and my cards still reached 115c. There's likely something else going on with the drivers in addition to the fans not spinning up like they should.

Cognition
03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Well everything has been fine here playing for 4 days, SC beta, various other games. But i'm using a custom fan that doesn't draw power from the video card itself...

gossamer
03-05-2010, 12:28 PM
My card's fan is controlled by me and I leave it at a steady speed due to Overclocking. Never gets past 60c for me.

MasterJan91
03-05-2010, 12:38 PM

ati sucks.

Freyar
03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I've reverted to the last set. 196.21

Decay
03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
/signed

My 260/216 was overheating with 196.75

Edit: and they were WHQL when I dled them.

ZeroDarkHundred
03-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Every gamer should manually control the gpu fan speed. Automatic fan setting is just going to cause issues even when it's working correctly.

I noticed a bug though when setting a manual fan speed with those drivers. When you come out of sleep mode the fan goes to 100% until you change it.

Brandito
03-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Every gamer should manually control the gpu fan speed. Automatic fan setting is just going to cause issues even when it's working correctly.

I noticed a bug though when setting a manual fan speed with those drivers. When you come out of sleep mode the fan goes to 100% until you change it.

and you speak as the world gamer consortium leader?

don't listen to this guy, automatic speed control is not an issue 99.99% of the time.

Freyar
03-05-2010, 01:00 PM

don't listen to this guy, automatic speed control is not an issue 99.99% of the time.

And it really shouldn't be.

ZeroDarkHundred
03-05-2010, 01:05 PM

It never goes above 40%. You're always going to run hot. You may as well use the cooling you purchased. Automatic fan control is the cause of the majority of heating issues regardless of this specific driver issue. It simply doesn't offer adequate cooling.

Turn up the fan and you don't have to worry about about your card overheating and there would be significantly less "halp my computer shut down" threads on the internet.

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33960475

NVIDIA responded by removing download links of 196.75 from driver download page and asking everyone to revert to 196.21.

Brandito
03-05-2010, 01:12 PM
It never goes above 40%. You're always going to run hot. You may as well use the cooling you purchased. Automatic fan control is the cause of the majority of heating issues regardless of this specific driver issue. It simply doesn't offer adequate cooling.

Turn up the fan and you don't have to worry about about your card overheating and there would be significantly less "halp my computer shut down" threads on the internet.

mine goes above 40% all the time. tested it just a bit ago and posted my results to this very thread using the aforementioned drivers.

it hit 100% by the time the core got to 82c.

the fan easily upped itself based on gpu temp using the full range of speed.

i've never ever had a problem with my gpu fan not ramping up like it should with a single driver revision.

these cards can run incredibly hot before any damage is done.

turning the speed to 100% all the time is a waste of power, adds a lot of un-needed noise, and just isn't necessary.

Freyar
03-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Wouldn't higher RPMs wear out the fan faster as well? Color me ignorant.

Warped_Devotion
03-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Hey thanks. I'm glad you told us about this problem because my video card has gotten really hot even with the fan speed cranked up to 75%. I'm glad I read it on here than finding myself having to buy a new video card a few days later.

Thanks again for the heads up I have already reverted back to the 196.21 drivers.

Just for giggles this entire post was written by using the Microsoft speech recognition software.

Mukai
03-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Not sure if people have seen this,(i didn't look through all the posts) but it is official and nvidia know there is a problem. But here it is
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10464475-1.html
And thanks m8, saves me buying a new GFX card

Flashsight
03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
BWHAHAHAHAHAHA
I'm so happy this happened. Let's see all the nvidia fanboys who endlessly like to blame ATI for their poor driver support.

BMFer
03-05-2010, 01:52 PM

lol thats what I was thinking I dont think anyone in there right mind would consider Wow graphics intensive.

ultio
03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Well, I've installed that driver just yesterday evening and now I'm not gonna delete it. I don't have any problems at all, I bet it's just a handful of users who experience those things... Don't exaggerate this... And why would you go all the way back to 188.25? That's ridiculous.

Freyar
03-05-2010, 02:00 PM
my 6 year old laptop can max that game and still get better than 60 FPS...Because you're standing in Azeroth or better yet an old-world instance, right?

I don't have any problems at all, I bet it's just a handful of users who experience those things... Don't exaggerate this...

The people that wrote the driver redacted it and said "go back", I doubt it's "just a handful" in this case.

CornelSHS
03-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Been running this driver for a few days now... works fine for me.
Have checked the fan usage in GPU-Z and it's still the same noise from the pc when i play games.

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Inf Modified so far

Nvidia 196.86 Windows 7/Vista 64bit

64bit
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/26255-v19686-windows-7vista-64bit-dell-mobile/

Download driver , download inf , unpack driver , copy in into install dir ovwrite and run setup

# Released By: Dell Mobile
# Driver Version: 196.75
# Operating System: Windows 7/Vista 64bit
# Driver Date: 2010-02-21 (YYYY-MM-DD)
# Driver Size: 88.45MB
# MS WHQL Certificate: Posted Image
# Setup Files Included: Posted Image

They state that the long awaited DPC Latency fixes are included in these. No word on heat issues with these so far but be cautious.

SIFU
03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Im useing 191.07 i think,havent been able to use the higher ups,did try the 196.75,an it tryed to kill my PC,it even earased all my saved restore points:mad:

Sanhime
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Absolutely true. Most PC consumers are...consumers. Not PC or techno freaks like some of us are. It is absolutely the responsibility of the manufacturer to ensure everyone works properly straight out of the factory.

I noticed people suggesting to roll back the drivers as far back as 18x.xx? I think that's going overboard. I don't think people on Win7 should be rolling back to drivers that predate Win7. Makes no sense.

Zenz
03-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Ouch, and I thought the whole Eve "deleting boot.ini" was a huge ♥♥♥♥ up, atleast it didn't kill your hardware.

Can you imagine someone using Quad-SLI with 2 295s and another 295 for physx, and all of that just overheats to death? I'm about to cry just thinking about it.

Whist
03-05-2010, 02:23 PM
BWHAHAHAHAHAHA
I'm so happy this happened. Let's see all the nvidia Hammer Legion Members who endlessly like to blame ATI for their poor driver support.

Well...considering ATI is usually the one with problems...

jacobignagni
03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
How do I safely downgrade my drivers. I just need to know if uninstalling through the control panel is enough.

ramsy66
03-05-2010, 02:27 PM
i have the 196.75 drivers, and i constantly keep an eye on my temperatures and they never go higher than about 75 degrees, which is nothing uncommon. the drivers are working fine for me.

jgreth
03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I've been using the 196.75 as well on my BFG 280 GTX, no issues thus far.

lifeainteasy20
One thing I notice that is needed is people aren't running clean installs with the drivers. You need to manually uninstall the old drivers from the control panel "nvidia drivers" on windows vista (Be sure not to touch anything else if you have an nvidia motherboard), and I boot in safe mode after so the computer does not try to reinstall my old drivers, then I install the new drivers and reboot again. I had errors whenever I installed drivers over the old ones. I also have the new drivers but I also have my gpu fan set manually to 100% all the time. I haven't had any problems.

EROCKK92
i have the 196.75 drivers, and i constantly keep an eye on my temperatures and they never go higher than about 75 degrees, which is nothing uncommon. the drivers are working fine for me.

Nvidia has removed the drivers from their site. That's probably a good sign that you shouldn't be using them.

lifeainteasy20
How do I safely downgrade my drivers. I just need to know if uninstalling through the control panel is enough.

Check out my post above this one lol.

darkanima.l4d
03-05-2010, 02:30 PM
That is insane. Lucky i didn't dl.

fortunatly i haven't installed too, sometimes been bored it's a good thing

EROCKK92
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Check out my post above this one lol.

Driver Sweeper is the one I use.

lifeainteasy20
03-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Driver Sweeper is the one I use.

I haven't tried it yet and I was a bit afraid to when dealing with my motherboard drivers being from nvidia as well.

zAce
03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Four words.

MSI Afterburner fan control.

EROCKK92
03-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I haven't tried it yet and I was a bit afraid to when dealing with my motherboard drivers being from nvidia as well.

It's easy and they separate the drivers into display, motherboard, etc. I only check the display box and it works great.

Royale
03-05-2010, 02:39 PM
...intensive games such as Prototype, World of Warcraft, Farcry 3, Crysis and many other games with realistic graphics.

...intensive games such as Prototype, World of Warcraft, Farcry 3, Crysis and many other games with realistic graphics.

I lol'd there
10lols

Blubikins
03-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I lol'd there
10lols

I lol'd pretty hard too.

lifeainteasy20
03-05-2010, 02:44 PM
It's easy and they separate the drivers into display, motherboard, etc. I only check the display box and it works great.

I'll check it out then. Thanks.

NasherUK
03-05-2010, 02:46 PM
I rolled back to 186.25 as any drivers higher than 190 were causing my CPU overclock to fail randomly :/

cadapter
03-05-2010, 02:50 PM
One thing I notice that is needed is people aren't running clean installs with the drivers. You need to manually uninstall the old drivers from the control panel "nvidia drivers" on windows vista (Be sure not to touch anything else if you have an nvidia motherboard), and I boot in safe mode after so the computer does not try to reinstall my old drivers, then I install the new drivers and reboot again. I had errors whenever I installed drivers over the old ones. I also have the new drivers but I also have my gpu fan set manually to 100% all the time. I haven't had any problems.

This. And for people that don't know how to do that...http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Brandito
03-05-2010, 02:59 PM

this isn't really necessary.

yes i've used that practice myself in the past, but it's mostly a waste unless you're having some sort of performance or stability issue.

most of the time upgrading to a newer driver by installing over the old one is just fine.

if you're downgrading then i suppose this could help, but just uninstalling the driver from remove programs should suffice the vast majority of the time.

this is one of those things people swear by that really isn't a necessity.

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 03:06 PM
I rolled back to 186.25 as any drivers higher than 190 were causing my CPU overclock to fail randomly :/

Why didn't you try the drivers i mentioned in the very first post

:confused:

corson70
03-05-2010, 03:09 PM
how to downgrade to the older driver?????

lowkee
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I have been running them and have been getting blue screens (first time ever on Win 7).. Thanks for the warning.. reverted to 191 drivers

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 03:21 PM
PLEASE NOTE :

The clean uninstall of drivers although is a good idea is NOT RELATED to this issue , do NOT do a clean install and reinstall this driver. Nvidia have specifically said themselves to remove this driver and install the previous one or not to use this driver at all.

In this instance the clean uninstall being the issue is BAD ADVICE

Farlong
03-05-2010, 03:24 PM
The clean uninstall of drivers although is a good idea is NOT RELATED to this issue , do NOT do a clean install and reinstall this driver. Nvidia have specifically said themselves to remove this driver and install the previous one or not to use this driver at all.

In this instance the clean uninstall being the issue is BAD ADVICE

But WHY is a clean uninstall bad?
Also, link to whereever you got that from, please.

Joshua Smith
03-05-2010, 03:24 PM
75c max here with the new drivers, guess i'm lucky :D

note: is on a fresh install of windows

Neilsouth
03-05-2010, 03:28 PM
But WHY is a clean uninstall bad?
Also, link to whereever you got that from, please.

I didn't say that , i said a clean uninstall and reinstall of these drivers are bad..

A clean install of any driver is always good , just not this one :D

lifeainteasy20
03-05-2010, 03:29 PM
this isn't really necessary.

yes i've used that practice myself in the past, but it's mostly a waste unless you're having some sort of performance or stability issue.

most of the time upgrading to a newer driver by installing over the old one is just fine.

if you're downgrading then i suppose this could help, but just uninstalling the driver from remove programs should suffice the vast majority of the time.

this is one of those things people swear by that really isn't a necessity.

Well it was done because I was having issues. My resolution kept resetting to it's native resolution every time I reboot and every time my screen saver went on. After I ran the clean install, things ran fine. Normally you don't need to do it this way but I feel it's better to be safe then sorry.

draculthemad
03-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I havent relied on the automatic nvidia driver fan control in years.

You can install riva tuner to override the default settings, as well as monitor card temp.

partofthefuture
03-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Drivers do not kill your videogames. Just download EVGA precision tools and install and set the vga cooler on 80-100% while playing instead of going back to old drivers... Only cowards and people who do not understand ANYTHING in PC will return to old drivers

Sparksfly
03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I rolled back. Not because im a coward or ignorant.
Just lazy.

rushtodeath
03-05-2010, 04:01 PM
I have 195.62 I wonder if I'm safe :confused:

Martellus
03-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Crazy how this could happen. Glad I didn't update.

Kitsunami
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
i havent updated my cards since i got them i have two dual SLI GTX 260's

My driver is at 186.81 :P

I refuse to update since, everytime i think about it ,something comes up tahts like 'Latest Nvidia drivers break X game'

and now this xD

lifeainteasy20
03-05-2010, 05:17 PM
i havent updated my cards since i got them i have two dual SLI GTX 260's

My driver is at 186.81 :P

I refuse to update since, everytime i think about it ,something comes up tahts like 'Latest Nvidia drivers break X game'

and now this xD

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the newer drivers added support for SLI in bad company 2? Are you utilizing your SLI with those old drivers?

MrD3a7h
03-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Hell mine idles at 68 so I ain't going nowhere near dat.

l4yercake
03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
damn that sucks....

I'll never ♥♥♥♥♥ about Catalyst drivers again....

jabroni619
03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Really... I mean setting a fan to run at 77% or 80% before you turn a game on is not really to complicated. You even set it by dragging a slider into place. They have these amazing devices for people who can not handle such simple things though. They call them consoles.

I didn't say it was complicated, I said a lot of people simply don't want to, I know several that game on PC's because all they enjoy is FPS and can't stand gamepads, but have no desire to tweak anything. A card running at it's default settings should not require any additional intervention.

NasherUK
03-05-2010, 05:38 PM
A lot of people will be getting free replacement cards from nvidia it seems :D

Tactical Taco
03-05-2010, 06:06 PM
this is strange because ive upgraded to the new driver and it has only improved performance and i havnt noticed increased heat.

maybe its just cause i have older graphic cards. geforce 9600

ZedReiN
03-05-2010, 06:14 PM
lmao this sux i have those Drivers installed n ow lol havent had any problems but i see they have removed them and i will be going back to 196.21 thanks for the thread.

KillerPX
03-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Man those ATI drivers sure are terrible.

Wait. Wrong thread.

HK11
03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
additionally, you could use the previous ones instead of some really old ones

thestaton
03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
188.25 & 188.43 both didn't work for my GeForce 295. Bad Company 2 would only use one core.

I do have the answer though for those who want the latest & greatest drivers with the unofficial fix.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=316886

I just installed those and in single player my FPS averaged around 100, and topped out at 150FPS in game.

Netherscourge
03-05-2010, 06:31 PM
A lot of people will be getting free replacement cards from nvidia it seems :D

No they won't - you have to agree to the EULA when you install the driver that says you agree to take full responsiblity for installing the driver and the Nvidia is not responsible for any damages to your card or system if someting goes wrong.

Netherscourge
03-05-2010, 06:32 PM
196.21 are the most recent drivers prior to the 196.75 nuke drivers.

thestaton
03-05-2010, 06:33 PM
196.21 are the most recent drivers prior to the 196.75 nuke drivers.

Check the link I posted they are just a few hours hold.

Wildwhippy
03-05-2010, 06:33 PM
No problems on my side after installing the drivers and playing sc2beta for hours while bf:bc2 server is down

FourTwenny
03-05-2010, 06:39 PM
running furmark right now, gpu is at 88C pretty steady and fan duty cycle is 100%. i am using rivatuner to get temps.

these are stock clocks on an evga gtx280.

sucks that blizzard put out a buggy game and is passing the buck :\

i suggest to the chicken littles in this thread that you test these things for yourself before you believe everything you see on the internet.

i was laughing as i read all the posts from people accepting this as gospel without even considering the thought that blizzard is wrong.

Nvidia took the drivers off their site. They issued a statement acknowledging the problem and claim to have a new driver set out within a few days that will be fixed.

Blizzard is powerful, but powerful enough to get nvidia to dive on sword.... I don't think so.

I didn't say it was complicated, I said a lot of people simply don't want to, I know several that game on PC's because all they enjoy is FPS and can't stand gamepads, but have no desire to tweak anything. A card running at it's default settings should not require any additional intervention.
It is part of PC gaming. You can not have it every way you want. You either choose the benefits of the PC along with the hassles of maintaining it properly, or you take the ease of the console with the downfall of its sluggish controls and inferior graphics.

IronSights
03-05-2010, 06:47 PM
188.25 & 188.43 both didn't work for my GeForce 295. Bad Company 2 would only use one core.

I do have the answer though for those who want the latest & greatest drivers with the unofficial fix.

I just installed those and in single player my FPS averaged around 100, and topped out at 150FPS in game.

I am trying to install these drivers ( sounds promising) and Im not really sure what the guy means by overwriting the inf file in the install directory. Its not letting me paste in the long inf file anywhere on that file. What did you do to get it to work?

EROCKK92
03-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Nvidia took the drivers off their site. They issued a statement acknowledging the problem and claim to have a new driver set out within a few days that will be fixed.

Blizzard is powerful, but powerful enough to get nvidia to dive on sword.... I don't think so.

It is part of PC gaming. You can not have it every way you want. You either choose the benefits of the PC along with the hassles of maintaining it properly, or you take the ease of the console with the downfall of its sluggish controls and inferior graphics.

So there only two choices? The world isn't black and white. Companies should make their hardware properly because everyone isn't a tech nerd.

RockPaperNinja
03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
What the hall are you people talking about? These drivers are working fine for me. Running Empire Total War with no issues either (amazing!)

chrisdglong
03-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I installed these and they worked fine. No overheating. However, I just rolled back as Nvidia pulled them from their website. Once I reinstalled, SLI is now working on this game... it never has until this point.

thestaton
03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I am trying to install these drivers ( sounds promising) and Im not really sure what the guy means by overwriting the inf file in the install directory. Its not letting me paste in the long inf file anywhere on that file. What did you do to get it to work?

What I do is click on the ini file in the webbrowser. Then I ctrl + a, ctrl +c all of it.

Then I open up the nvdm.ini it will be located in the root folder after you unzip the drivers.

Just ctrl +a, then delete all of that out.

Paste in the new information from the INI in the web-browser.

When I tried saving the file off the web it would also save it as a .txt even though I chose to save it as all files.

I just spent an hour playing online and my FPS didn't go below 85 with these.

These are very good drivers for the 295 & BC2.

worldcitizen777
03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Valve have issued an official warning to Nvidia users via a Steam Pop up. I failed to click on it in time. Anyone know where it is? This should be a sticky. I did have those drivers until I saw this post. THANKS!!!

MomentDEFINED
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Honestly, I was expecting them to have an updated release on these drivers by now. Is this really that difficult to fix?

chrisdglong
03-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Honestly, I was expecting them to have an updated release on these drivers by now. Is this really that difficult to fix?

Nvidia has been extremely hit and miss with drivers lately. This is not the first time, as of late, that Nvidia was suspect of killing hardware. This happened about 6 months ago as well.

Neilsouth
03-06-2010, 02:08 AM

I'll give those a try even though i posted them too :D

Neilsouth
03-06-2010, 02:52 AM
DPC LATENCY

Absolute Maximum - 1347 ( 188.25 )
Absolute Maximum - 475 ( 196.86 )

Temps are MUCH LOWER

Not_Matlock
03-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Good to know. I just rolled back my drivers. I haven't had any noticeable issues, but better safe than sorry....

Douken
03-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Whatever, I use 191.07 they work fine. 196.21 just makes my PC BSOD every 30min.

8800gt
win7 64bit

dinky2012
03-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Whatever, I use 191.07 they work fine. 196.21 just makes my PC BSOD every 30min.

8800gt
win7 64bit

196.21 is bugged for overclocked GPUs. the BETA 196.75 fixes this. may be your problem.

Oscuro
03-06-2010, 03:59 AM
I'd like to thank the OP of this thread. If it was not for him/her, my 8800GT would have died on me. I was wondering why my thing was going over 90C too... Never went that high on BC:2.

This should be a sticky imo.

ekaCbun
03-06-2010, 04:06 AM
wow, i just saw this thread for the first time, i think i have the latest nvidia drivers. can somebody plz give me an update, i dont wanna read through all the pages, and let me know if this has been fixed, or what drivers i should use, i have an 8800gts.

JsRIk
03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Sorry, I don't quite understand what "unzipping" the driver means. Do I need a specific program? Thanks :]

At The Gates
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
196.21 is bugged for overclocked GPUs. the BETA 196.75 fixes this. may be your problem.

Wrong. I have been using the 196.21 drivers for almost two years, and they work just fine with my overclocked GPU.

EDIT: Whenever new drivers come out, always go check the EVGA FORUMS (http://www.evga.com/FORUMS/)
They usually give out great information whenever drivers have issues.

L4aYeR GuN
03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up +1 rep very informative

MasterOfTheTide
03-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Use 197.13! They are THE BEST for this game. The 188 drivers have no optimizations for new games, so I wouldn't touch them. The 197.13 drivers cleared up all issues for me in this game.

MomentDEFINED
03-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Wrong. I have been using the 196.21 drivers for almost two years, and they work just fine with my overclocked GPU.

EDIT: Whenever new drivers come out, always go check the EVGA FORUMS (http://www.evga.com/FORUMS/)
They usually give out great information whenever drivers have issues.

Those drivers were released on January 19th of 2010, so you haven't been using them for two years. And the beta release of 196.34 specifically fixes the bug where people were unable to overclock their GPUs.

Rhodsie
03-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Looks like a lot of people are getting free video cards. :)

Kind of on topic, how can I tell which driver version I currently have installed?

Edit: nvm I'm using 190.30 apparently.