PDA

View Full Version : Steam Error - The game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time.

thdoch
03-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Windows XP SP3

I've searched this forum and Google a lot...

Deleted ClientRegistry.blob several times,
Deleted everything except \steamapps\ and \steam.exe,
Verified the game cache integrity,
Restarted Steam several times,
Restarted my PC several times,
Downloaded the game twice,
Downloaded/installed the latest NVidia driver,
Downloaded/installed the latest VC++ 2005/2008 Redist manually,

Launching from steam suggests that "1: Installing Microsoft VC Redist Package (step 1 of 1)" never completes...

Running the game from \common gives me the following error: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

I've downloaded/installed the game twice without any luck...

Running the vcredist.msi executable from \Redistributable\x86 gives me the following error: Error 1305.Error reading from file D:\steam\steamapps\common\battlefield bad company 2\install\Redistributable\x86\vcredist.msi. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

I've unchecked the readonly checkbox for /steam and my whole D:\ partition...

Anything else I could do...? Any help is appreciated. I've been trying to launch this game for 4 hours now.

Thanks,
Beaud

DevgruSEAL
03-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Four hours is nothing :p I've been trying to fix this for two days now!

But yeah, I have the exact same problem, and have tried the exact same solutions as you have listed, but nothing changes. The only difference is that I'm using XP Pro 64-bit. Another difference is my vcredist.msi error:
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755.

I have already grabbed the vcredist_x86.msi from Microsoft's website. I even removed the lines from installscript.vbf that causes those files to be run, but Steam still refuses to launch.

I have also tried running Steam.exe as 'Administrator' to no avail:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Judging by the amount of posts regarding the topic, you'd think we're the only ones with such a problem...That's frusting beyond belief.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DevgruSEAL
03-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Kind of bump.

The installation runs smoothly on my laptop, which is 3 months old, so its fairly fresh.

dubcity
03-06-2010, 01:40 AM
I had this problem too.

This is how I fixed it.

I went and got a shortcut from the BFBC2.exe to my desktop.

I launch steam, and see if it works, if I get that message, I exit steam and launch through the shortcut, I repeat the steps over and over until the game launches, usually it does on my second or third try.

I can't believe we pay increasing game prices, for the kind of ♥♥♥♥ we are experiencing here in this day and age. Sure there are unexpected bugs, but what is being done to correct these issues? Like every needy girlfriend, reassurance does wonders. VALVE/EA WE ARE YOUR NEEDY GIRLFRIENDS, REASSURE US!

DevgruSEAL
03-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Good news; I found my own solution. Hopefully this will help thdoch and others.

Navigate to steamapps\common\battlefield bad company 2\install\Redistributable\x86 and right click on vcredist.msi.

Click on the Security tab, then click on Everyone and check the Allow Full control permission checkbox, then press OK.

My full explaination (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13866885#post13866885)

chhst30
03-06-2010, 05:01 PM
neither of these worked for me. having the same issues here. i have a thread running on this here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1175302
i sent in a msinfo32 report to steam support; no work yet....any other ideas out there?

Ashkent
03-11-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm getting this error too. wtf?

I unchecked run as administrator and it works now...

ride509
03-15-2010, 12:21 PM
any new info on this. sent steam support a mail. but i can't figure this out. i get a 1305 error. and i'm using windows xp. i have no security tab. and i am runing this under administrator. when i load the game. from steam . i get the same issues as you. gets to step one.. the file fails to open.. game is unavailable. can't run this from the .exe cause config is wrong. or thats what it tells. me i've uninstalled and reinstalled. both game and c++. to no avail

chhst30
03-15-2010, 09:44 PM
try this, as there seem to be a number of issues surrounding the vcredit. download microsofts visual c++ 2005 redist and the c++ 2005 SP1 redist. i can install any flavor of vcredist, except the SP1! that version always gives me the error “the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation”. I am running this from the admin account. i know it must be permissions set on a handful of registry keys, but damned if i have been able to find them....i get lost when trying to hunt that white whale.

Mourek
03-15-2010, 10:49 PM
lol I've been trying to fix this for 14 days and nothing... tryed all exept that admin check thing... btw where can i find it on XP?? there is no such bar as "Run as administrator" O_o

ride509
03-16-2010, 12:03 AM
well i solved my problem today. i had to uninstall steam.. reinstall steam on my HD that had windows on it. the had a backup of BC2 already made. so i just had it re upload it to steam.. bam it worked... i think i just got lucky tho

dV_5x5
10-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Graphics card died during game play and after replacing card I got same error as original poster. However, in my case I was able to fix this problem with the 'Verify Integrity Of Game Cache' button. From inside the Steam application and right-clicking on my Game to get to Properties. Then click the Local Files tab and there's the 'Verify Integrity Of Game Cache' button. It takes a while to rebuild the cache but this may be the way to go for users who crashed during game which may have corrupted files.

Kytsata2
01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Graphics card died during game play and after replacing card I got same error as original poster. However, in my case I was able to fix this problem with the 'Verify Integrity Of Game Cache' button. From inside the Steam application and right-clicking on my Game to get to Properties. Then click the Local Files tab and there's the 'Verify Integrity Of Game Cache' button. It takes a while to rebuild the cache but this may be the way to go for users who crashed during game which may have corrupted files.

EXACT same story for me. Almost all of my games have this error though, and im doing this for all of them.