PDA

View Full Version : Game won't launch

spoonycoot
03-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Game has worked fine until now. This is the first time trying to play since the latest patch. The only thing that changed is my comp is hooked up to a tv instead of my main monitor. (which shouldn't make a difference)

When I click launch or double click the game the mouse makes the busy circle symbol and the screen breifly flashes but it never makes it past the desktop.

Any ideas?

spoonycoot
03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Also I've verified the integrity and restarted my comp, still nothing.

IB7WC1
03-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Also I've verified the integrity and restarted my comp, still nothing.

Hi I use pctools.com Spyware Doctor with Anti Virus I have to turn it off to play Steam games. TRY that. Hope I helped. :cool:

spoonycoot
03-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't have any spyware or anti virus. This game was working now it isn't. All other steam games are fine.

spoonycoot
03-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Also if I try to launch it multiple times in a row in fast succesion. I get an effor that the game is already running when it really freakin isn't.

MaximusR
03-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I have the same problem, I adjusted my settings and restarted, and now it wont start, just the circle for a moment then nothing. I have uninstalled it many times and redownloaded it and nothing. It wont work on my PC anymore. This happend the day after launch.

spoonycoot
03-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I fixed mine

I had to delete the .prefs file and wah lah it's working. The prefs file is where it stores the campaign data. I just copied that part and pasted it, now I'm good to go. What a bunch of BS I might add. I really enjoy this game, but it sure has been a real struggle to be able to play it. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

RyanC
03-07-2010, 05:50 AM
What .prefs file? I'm having the same problem and I can't find this file in the supreme commander folder. Whats the path? Anybody else aware of this problem that could shed some light on what could be the problem here?

Fiztandantibus
03-07-2010, 06:39 AM
For Win 7 and Vista the .pref file is here

C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander 2

MaximusR
03-07-2010, 07:16 PM
I went there to delete the file but there is nothing. only thing under gas power is my forged alliance folder, nothing for sup com 2. bah this is so lame.

thecore762
03-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I am still having trouble, this is ♥♥♥♥ing stupid jesus christ.
I can't start the god damn game, it stops!
Also I could not find in local Gast Powered.....this is god damn stupid.
Stupid ♥♥♥ game.

CoolColJ
03-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Try what I posted here

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1168739&goto=newpost

thecore762
03-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Try what I posted here

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1168739&goto=newpost

That did not work.
My game won't launch from steam, it pops up the screen preparing to launch then the pop up goes away and nothing happens.
The game is not starting.
I am tired of this :/

BustedBoo
03-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Worked fine for me.

I think it had something to do when i had another display going then stopped playing and quit the game and disconnected the second display and tried just playing on a single screen.

This is the location in windows 7 -

C:\Users\(computer name goes here)\AppData\Local\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander 2

Remember to have your folders viewable to see the Appdata. Go to control panel and folder options and go to view tab and select view hidden file, folders etc.....

CraigUK87
03-09-2010, 11:24 AM
i bought supcom 2 on friday (day it was relased) and i was running (at that time) 9600GT, 4GB Corsair XMS800Mhz RAM, 750w PSU AMD AthlonII x 3 @ 2.7Ghz on a ASUS M4A785D-M PRO and the game worked perfectly, it then bought a GTS250 and i got APPCRASH, everytime i tried to load, so did all the usual defect spot, i.e fact settings on GPU, even put into a VGA monitor (im running on 28inch HD at 1080p) that did'nt work, so i decide to reformat to which the game loads, however theres some major grahical flaws and its pretty much uselss!, anyways i thought it could be the GTS250 so i took him back and got an ATi5750 and surpise suprise the game wont load, this time no APPCRASH error msg, jus black screen for 1ms then back to desktop.... conclusion i rung up square enix and apparently they're making a patch to fix this, but if anyone out there knows of a way now PLEASE HELP lol otherwise im taking up Frisby lessons

Svenski88
03-09-2010, 11:31 AM
i bought supcom 2 on friday (day it was relased) and i was running (at that time) 9600GT, 4GB Corsair XMS800Mhz RAM, 750w PSU AMD AthlonII x 3 @ 2.7Ghz on a ASUS M4A785D-M PRO and the game worked perfectly, it then bought a GTS250 and i got APPCRASH, everytime i tried to load, so did all the usual defect spot, i.e fact settings on GPU, even put into a VGA monitor (im running on 28inch HD at 1080p) that did'nt work, so i decide to reformat to which the game loads, however theres some major grahical flaws and its pretty much uselss!, anyways i thought it could be the GTS250 so i took him back and got an ATi5750 and surpise suprise the game wont load, this time no APPCRASH error msg, jus black screen for 1ms then back to desktop.... conclusion i rung up square enix and apparently they're making a patch to fix this, but if anyone out there knows of a way now PLEASE HELP lol otherwise im taking up Frisby lessons

I too use a GTS250. I was able to launch the game one time, where I went to set the game to run in dual-display mode. After trying to restart the game, it hasn't worked since. Upon attempting to launch, my computer reboots itself. Yay 50$ down the toilet.

I'm w/ you on those Frisbee lessons!

CraigUK87
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
ahh hell, lets see if we can get the frisby over the pond! well lucky for me i got an exchange but as i said, it doesnt like my ATi either! they best hurry up and get that patch out soon...

spoonycoot
03-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Did you guys try to delete game.prefs? I'm telling you thats the answer.

Svenski88
03-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Did you guys try to delete game.prefs? I'm telling you thats the answer.

I was in the process of a re-install of the game and ... cough cough ... downloading a 2gig patch... zzz.... when i found this information.

I'll try some of the suggested fixes after I'm done installing again.

CraigUK87
03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
nah i didnt, but funny if i put my 9600GT back in it works????

CraigUK87
03-09-2010, 11:47 AM
♥♥♥♥ ME SIDEWAYS AND THRU A CIRCLE DOOR ALONG WITH BACK AND SAUSAGES AROUND MY HANDS DELTEING THAT PREF FILE WOKRS WELL ♥♥♥♥ ME

Svenski88
03-09-2010, 11:51 AM
♥♥♥♥ ME SIDEWAYS AND THRU A CIRCLE DOOR ALONG WITH BACK AND SAUSAGES AROUND MY HANDS DELTEING THAT PREF FILE WOKRS WELL ♥♥♥♥ ME

rofl.

Any idea if this .pref file exists on an XP install? I seem to remember checking in that location [EDIT: My Docs, that is] for any files I could play with to edit settings and stuff. Don't recall finding anything.

irishmanerrant
03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't actually have a game.prefs file, how can I make one? And then delete it lol?

ghost5555
11-08-2010, 10:46 AM
ooh, ooh, ooh, i have a fix :D
I had this problem, i clicked the start button, it made a small noise, the busy wheel span then it closed.
It was because i had turned on my second screen last time i was playing but it wasnt plugged in this time.
I turned it on and it launched fine :)

Spikx
11-08-2010, 02:29 PM
In such cases you can also use /safemode (since one of the recent patches).

thecommanderd
11-08-2010, 05:06 PM
In such cases you can also use /safemode (since one of the recent patches).

This. If you change your settings, the /safemode (read sticky) is supposed to allow you to get into the game to change them back. If you haven't done game.prefs, do so, but if you have, do safemode.

Also, in case you haven't, they are located:

For Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(UserName)\Local Settings\Application Data\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander 2\Game.prefs

For Windows Vista: C:\Users\(UserName)\AppData\Local\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander 2\Game.prefs

For Windows 7: C:\Users\(UserName)\AppData\Local\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander 2\Game.prefs

ooh, ooh, ooh, i have a fix
I had this problem, i clicked the start button, it made a small noise, the busy wheel span then it closed.
It was because i had turned on my second screen last time i was playing but it wasnt plugged in this time.
I turned it on and it launched fine

This is also one of the problems that has happened. In fact, this is the reason they created the safemode if I remember correctly, because some people had removed one of their screens without changing the settings, and weren't able to get back in, so safemode was enabled (patch 2.21?) and everyone was fine afterwards.