PDA

View Full Version : Countering Sagat.

salmontres48
03-08-2010, 05:38 AM
This guy has killed me a little too much! I can't get passed a good Sagat who projectile spams and uppercuts upon getting close. His strong kick also has unrivaled reach. What are some strategies for this guy?!?! (I use Zangief/Ken/a poor Rose.) I tried to counter his spamming with spamming of my own, but Sagat has less down time than other characters with projectiles.

delirium-
03-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Stop jumping from fullscreen. Focus-dash fireballs until you're too close for him to tiger shot, then walk forward and block. A lot of Sagats will try to TK or kara TU at this point ... bait that ♥♥♥♥ and punish.

Also, Sagat is a terrible matchup for Zangief no matter how good you are. Try to avoid it.

ciry12
03-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Sagat is overpowered lololo.
No but seriously, sagat is pretty annoying and a tough match up for about everyone.
as the guy above mentioned try to close in with jump ins and focus dashing.
Also try to analyze the opponents playstyle, most Sagats are just reversal(TU) happy scrubs who are easy to bait. Try to score knockdowns. Throws are also a very good option in wakeup if the guy isnt too uppercut happy.

Once you learn to close in and put preassure on him, most of Sagat players don't usually handle it very well.

Krackatoa
03-08-2010, 10:00 AM
This guy has killed me a little too much! I can't get passed a good Sagat who projectile spams and uppercuts upon getting close. His strong kick also has unrivaled reach. What are some strategies for this guy?!?! (I use Zangief/Ken/a poor Rose.) I tried to counter his spamming with spamming of my own, but Sagat has less down time than other characters with projectiles.

First step. You don't get to have a fireball war with Sagat with Ken. Rose, on the other hand, with a mixture of Soul Reflect and Soul Spark, can fare a bit better.

At the end of the day, you're going to want to work your way inside. Trying to predict a fireball and jumping in with a Heavy Kick into your most damaging combo is the riskiest option available, but it pays dividends. If your opponent is dumb, they'll just keep chucking Tiger and you can net yourself an easy 350 damage. Here's a couple simple, high-damage combos for each character:

Ken - j.HK > cr.HP xx HP.Shoryuken

Rose - j.HP > s.HP xx HP.Soul Spiral

Zangief - j.HK > cr.LK xx KKK.Lariat or j.HK > cr.LK xx EX Greenhand

(This is in the standard SFIV notation. '>' are links, 'xx' are cancels)

Now, that's the riskiest strategy. The best way to do it takes a lot of patience, time and skill. You'll want to work your way through the fireballs the old fashioned way. Ducking the high shots, moving forward, hopping the lows (or Focus Absorbing them followed by dashing forward), all the while staying out of Anti-Air range.

Once you get up close, the Sagat should be very wary about throwing Tiger Shots. At this range, newer Sagats tend to make OODLES of mistakes. Poke with normals carefully and try your best to bait out stupid things like Tiger Uppercuts or mis-spaced Tiger Knees (Don't block Tiger Knees crouching, or you'll be stuck in 'Blockstun' for too long, and not have time to counterattack). Those you can punish with your best ground combos (Against whiffed/blocked Tiger Uppercuts) or throws (Deep Tiger Knee).

Once you're in this range, you're looking for the knockdown. Whether it's by sweep, throw, EX Spinning Pile Driver, Shoryuken or whatever. If he's reversal Uppercut/Ultra/Super happy, you can block his wakeup move and punish with your biggest combo. If he does anything else, you can usually SPD/Throw/Use a Safe-On-Block attack that doesn't leave you open for punish from Sagat.

You've got to know your opponent to make the right decision. If you guess wrong, you'll be the one getting punished, and the momentum changes back to Sagat's favour (This is the case with all characters when you get down to it, though, so no point in whining about it).

If you know that the Sagat isn't mashing Tiger Uppercut/Super/Ultra motions when you're doing combos, you can try this when you're trying to cross the Sagat up (Jumping over the Sagat one wakeup and tagging him in the back of the head with Ken's j.MK or Zangief's Body Splash, followed by a combo. Properly timed, he has to block it):

Jab > Jab (Pause) Throw. This is a "Tick Throw" and if the opponent isn't ready for it, you can break off your combo while you're still in throw range and get a small bit of damage, alongside another knockdown. Careful though, if the Sagat is mashing, as I mentioned above, he'll blow right through the tactic.

Gief has a similar move, thusly dubbed the "Tick Spinning Pile Driver". You cross up with j.d.HP (The Body Splash) and follow up with a couple quick jabs followed by a standing LP.SPD (The LP version of SPD has more range). This does substantially more damage, and it's fairly easy to do. You can do a standing SPD by moving the stick from Back around to Up-Forward, and hitting LP before you jump. Again, Sagat can blow through this if he's mashing.

Another thing to note with Gief. His crouching Medium Kick moves him forward a bit. You can use this to travel forward a bit under high Tiger Shots. Rose can also use her slide to get some safe distance.

Hope this helps a bit. If you need me to further elaborate or explain anything, feel free to ask. There's oodles of different strategies you can employ.

NotYourHero
03-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I just jump his tiger sharks, then when you're too close block because they will use tiger knee or tiger uppercut. Then smack him one good. If you use cammy, just spiral arrow under tiger shark and cannon spike when you reach him. Sagat os taller so unless he crouch tiger shark, it wont hit you.

DOUK
03-08-2010, 11:54 AM
If you're Rose just absorb the fireballs (Light punch reflect) then send them back. When you get close just try to stay close but when he does a tiger knee jump over it. Don't focus attack because tiger knee beats it.

I main dan so I have no problem fighting Sagat. Taunting under tiger shots pisses them off so much they make mistakes.

uuuhhhhh
03-10-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm a Rose player and strongly do not recommend trying to reflect too many tiger shots. Kinda hard to explain but the hitbox on them is just weird, its not like reflecting other fireballs. You usually end up eating damage when you would've been better off blocking or absorbing. Do it sparingly.

This is your average online Sagat player: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJhPklzHvMs

Yeah i goofed up a lot, it was laggy lol

DOUK
03-11-2010, 10:25 PM
^ that was a good video but the Sagat was a runaway Sagat, he was a super scrub throwing ultras out at random haha.