PDA

View Full Version : Narbacular Drop

Lemonosity
03-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Who thinks Narbacular Drop should be added to Steam as a free download? Eh? Eh?

lanux128
03-08-2010, 07:44 PM
nice game, Portal's sort-of prequel.. can be downloaded from here (https://www.digipen.edu/fileadmin/website_data/gallery/game_websites/NarbacularDrop/).

https://www.digipen.edu/fileadmin/website_data/gallery/game_websites/NarbacularDrop/

Lemonosity
03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
nice game, Portal's sort-of prequel.. can be downloaded from here (https://www.digipen.edu/fileadmin/website_data/gallery/game_websites/NarbacularDrop/).

https://www.digipen.edu/fileadmin/website_data/gallery/game_websites/NarbacularDrop/

The people who made it were hired to work at Valve. That's why I think it should be on Steam.

The same with TAG: The Power of Paint.

leahcim
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Who thinks Narbacular Drop should be added to Steam as a free download? Eh? Eh?

It's a bit of a rip-off of Portal imo. :D

gorpie
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM

What? It was the precursor to Portal.

leahcim
03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
What? It was the precursor to Portal.

You missed the "hidden" clue in my post...

Here it is again, in s l o w m o t i o n. Don't blink or you'll miss it again...

--> :D <--

Did you spot it that time?

Anyway, Narbacular drop uses software that was licensed for non-commercial use, perhaps the authors of that would have issues if it was released on steam by Valve. Even at no charge it would clearly no longer be a bunch of students using it.

Lemonosity
03-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Like I said;

F R E E. :D

Kahrandras
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Does it stand alone? I thought ND was a mod of Half-Life 1 retail, which doesn't use Steam. If it doesn't, I'd still install HL1 from discs just to play what I understand was a pretty good game.

TD5160
03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Like I said;

F R E E. :D

You don't seem to understand something here... The students that made the game. have NO rights to the game... Hell, they can't even patch it, to fix the errors in it. It's because Digipen holds 100% of the rights to it's distribution... it will NEVER be released on Steam, as sad as that is... luckily, you can just download it from the site.

Firetaffer
03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Does it stand alone? I thought ND was a mod of Half-Life 1 retail, which doesn't use Steam. If it doesn't, I'd still install HL1 from discs just to play what I understand was a pretty good game.

ND has nothing at all to do with VALVe and Steam.

MrBlank88
03-09-2010, 03:46 AM
ND has nothing at all to do with VALVe and Steam.

Uh, it has everything to do with Valve, the ND team are working for Valve... They were recruited after devs from Valve saw ND on display at some convention and then the ND team in conjunction with part of the Valve team brough Portal to life.

nrnoble
03-09-2010, 04:53 AM
NP is a great example that a few talented individuals (students) can come up with something that's totally innovative in terms of gaming, and overall it is a very simple, but amazing, concept.

Dudette
03-09-2010, 05:30 AM
ND as a project, has nothing to do with valve, i think he means. Its not based on any valve software or engine or whatever. Sure, valve took the team on after seeing ND but that is totally not the same thing.

Also: It would be really interesting to play ND. Seems like the core concept is what valve loved and used for portal. Glad they offered the team for ND the opportunity to turn their project into a great game, instead of just buying it up and cutting them out of it.

nrnoble
03-09-2010, 06:00 AM
ND as a project, has nothing to do with valve, i think he means. Its not based on any valve software or engine or whatever. Sure, valve took the team on after seeing ND but that is totally not the same thing.

Also: It would be really interesting to play ND. Seems like the core concept is what valve loved and used for portal. Glad they offered the team for ND the opportunity to turn their project into a great game, instead of just buying it up and cutting them out of it.

Good comments. I had thought they had developed ND around the Source game engine, but upon looking closer at the project docs, they only used Valve's Hammer 3D tool, so ND is not a Source mod as I had thought. This makes ND even more impressive in IMHO.

Vonje
03-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Hammer used for Narbacular Drop? How's that possible without using an engine based on Quake?

gorpie
03-09-2010, 07:40 AM
You missed the "hidden" clue in my post...

Here it is again, in s l o w m o t i o n. Don't blink or you'll miss it again...

--> :D <--

Did you spot it that time?

Yes, I obviously missed your "hidden clue".

I would have needed a --> ;) <-- or maybe a --> :p <--.

:)

(I actually found it hard to believe you were serious. But then again, not necessarily everyone would know...)

Vaskania
03-09-2010, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the link. Found the rest of their free, downloadable game gallery to be somewhat amusing as well. https://www.digipen.edu/gallery/games/

MrHorrible
03-09-2010, 08:10 AM

It's not like they owned the rights to portals, they didn't have to buy the rights or anything. If they weren't going to use the team there was nothing to buy.

Also ND really isn't a good game, at least not compared to portal. The core idea is still there but it was a student project and they were still learning.

Stravagante
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
It's not like they owned the rights to portals, they didn't have to buy the rights or anything. If they weren't going to use the team there was nothing to buy.

Also ND really isn't a good game, at least not compared to portal. The core idea is still there but it was a student project and they were still learning.

They did deserve an A+ for this.

nrnoble
03-09-2010, 04:47 PM

A better way too look at their accomplishment would be as an amateur baseball team that is good enough to compete at the minor-league league level of pro baseball. They had the skills, the knowledge, the discipline, the organization, and on a shoestring budget they put a game together that was innovative. Even if the gamers aren't able to fully recognized the what they were able accomplishes as students, clearly the pros at Valve saw something amazing that was worth job offers and opportunity to take their game to the professional level (Million+ investment?) which became Portal.

Zarphus
03-11-2010, 05:21 PM

... narbacular drop was developed BEFORE portal, by the SAME PEOPLE WHO VALVE HIRED TO MAKE PORTAL. they were hired BECAUSE OF NARBACULAR DROP.

and for those who dont think it has anything to do with valve- the people who made this now work for valve. thats enough of a connection if you ask me. the game is already free, so adding it to the site would just be for the sake of promotion, making the game more easily accessible by the mainstream, and showing fans where it all came from.

the idea here is not to release narbacular drop for free on steam as a GAME. but as a demonstration, a lesson, and an example.

PoomPoom
03-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Narbacular Drop is pretty cool, I love the music

MADDOGGE
03-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Who thinks Narbacular Drop should be added to Steam as a free download? Eh? Eh?It's 15 minutes of very buggy play tops. It's not like it's a masterpiece or anything. The Tag game is way better with no bugs and a lot longer and runs smooth. I would have actually paid for a full version of Tag.

nrnoble
03-12-2010, 07:06 AM
It's 15 minutes of very buggy play tops. It's not like it's a masterpiece or anything. The Tag game is way better with no bugs and a lot longer and runs smooth. I would have actually paid for a full version of Tag.

It will be interesting if Valve creates an entire game around Tag.

MADDOGGE
03-12-2010, 07:14 AM
It will be interesting if Valve creates an entire game around Tag.We know there are elements of it in portal2 but who knows a full Tag game would be fun. I actually got into the minimalist B&W art style of the game. A game simply focused on game play was refreshing.

leahcim
03-14-2010, 08:37 PM
... narbacular drop was developed BEFORE portal, by the SAME PEOPLE WHO VALVE HIRED TO MAKE PORTAL. they were hired BECAUSE OF NARBACULAR DROP.

You know the funniest part about the joke wasn't that I made it, nor that I put a smiley at the end making it obvious...not even that I got to post another message pointing out the smiley to someone else.

No, the funniest thing is how stupid you are to miss all of that stuff in the thread so far, and still type a bunch of crap in caps.

:D <--- Look it up.