PDA

View Full Version : Series of novels based on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games?

Creeping Death
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
So I'm reading an article on gamespy about novels that inspire games etc and when they talk about Roadside Picnic/ S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I stumble across this line of interest;

"The new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. world has been successful enough to launch its own series of novels, not yet available in English."

I assume they are available, if anywhere, in Ukraine? Has anyone here heard of this and can provide any more concrete info? And, if by some chance, someone here has read one of these how are they?

Bad_Motha
03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
The novels have been around for years and they are ongoing and growing fairly good pace. Yes at present time all the novels are only available in Russian language.

You can find out more here > http://litstalker.ru
Translated version here. (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http://litstalker.ru&sl=ru&tl=en)

velvetmeds
03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
yeah, the official website (stalker-game.com) has a section dedicated to the novels; however it's entirely in russian, and i suspect the only available version of the novels are in russian too. shame, would be very interesting to read...

edit: erm, what he said ^ !

Creeping Death
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks for a snappy response guys!

I do hope they have plans on releasing them in other languages, I'd definately pick these up.

marie pavie
03-09-2010, 11:52 AM
I'd read Metro 2033 first, if I was going to read 'that kind of thing'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitry_Glukhovsky

Creeping Death
03-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks for that. I'd heard about the game but didn't know it was based on a novel. Well thats another thing added to my list of books to read :P

OddLawnGnome
03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Gasp! Should they ever be translated to English I would desperately hope the phrase "Get out of here STALKER" would appear somewhere...

Shuacballs
03-09-2010, 02:26 PM
If they're ever translated, please get someone who knows the difference between your and you're, too and to, their and there, etc. In other words...avoid American teenagers altogether.

Saffire123
03-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Wow, I want these books just for a collectors reason, I dont even speak/read Russian, these are just that cool!.
And yeah, Im going to give metro 2033 a read.

HorseRotorvator
03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
If they're ever translated, please get someone who knows the difference between your and you're, too and to, their and there, etc. In other words...avoid American teenagers altogether.

I see you're not too familiar with Russian novels translated into English. Even dedicated scholars can make huge, unbearable mistakes

wildpeaks
03-10-2010, 01:25 AM
They exist in german as well: http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_3_7?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=stalker&sprefix=STALKER

princej3
03-10-2010, 02:49 AM
I find it incredibly fascinating just how huge the series is in its native region. I would love to see at least a few of these translated and released here.

Metro 2033 (the novel) is definitely of interest to me to pick up

Dot.Shadow
03-10-2010, 06:24 AM
I have 15 Stalker novels in my bookshelf, all in Russian :)

Bad_Motha
03-10-2010, 07:26 AM
I think I'll order a Russian bride who knows English and have her read me the novels :D

1337_n00b
03-10-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm russian myself so i have some of them.
AND THERE IS GET OUT OF HERE STALKER
AND YOU CAN'T GO THERE(their russian equivalents)
If i recall correctly, it's Дом на Болоте(House in The Swamps) and Зона Поражения(Area of Attack).

wildpeaks
03-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I think I'll order a Russian bride who knows English and have her read me the novels :D
Sign me up for one too, except replace the bride by Strelok :cool:

Driadon
03-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I would love these novels, but alas, I must survive with the media that influenced the games. Check out Roadside Picnic which was the novel that inspired the movie Stalker, which inspired the games. Both are really cool, though I do warn that the movie is very very slow as it's more than a little artsy.

Dot.Shadow
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I watched the Stalker film with some friends. It was just... horrible in my opinion. Horrible in a bad way. "Very very slow" does not justify its slowness.

maturin
03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
They're in Russian? Aren't the devs Ukrainian?

Driadon
03-10-2010, 11:13 PM
I watched the Stalker film with some friends. It was just... horrible in my opinion. Horrible in a bad way. "Very very slow" does not justify its slowness.
Okay: "Slower then any film maker should ever make their films unless they are trying to be this artsy". Because I liked it to some degree even with the excruciating pace.

The Slavic languages are incredibly similar. I've talked to Ukrainian folks online using a Russian translator and it translated their words almost perfectly, with obvious bad grammar of course, but it was legible and vice versa.

ImBack87
03-10-2010, 11:42 PM

Ukrainian and Russian are very similar, like Spanish and Portuguese. Also, Ukraine is an ex Soviet republic, so pretty much everyone in Ukraine, as in any other former Soviet country, can speak Russian.

1337_n00b
03-11-2010, 02:11 AM
If you're talking about the Tarkovsky movie, it is, ehewwww, a bit OLD. It was made loong tame ago, and there's just a bit of STALKER based on this one.

Trialsking
03-12-2010, 08:57 PM
My favorite STALKER novel is "Frickin Duties!" by Noah

Dot.Shadow
03-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Russian = The English of the east. I'm surprised by how few people know this.