PDA

View Full Version : Too late now for Ep3...just skip to HL3.

Blue Lightning
03-10-2010, 09:37 AM
What's the point now? HL2 was released 6 years ago, in 2004. To still not have its 3rd "add on" in 2010 is silly at this point. And there is still no word about an Ep3, even for 2011! By then the source engine will be so out-dated it wont even matter.

I would say continue the story with a monolithic HL3, complete with new engine, and target a release by 2012. VALVe has the manpower to do it, so myswell just do it that way. Oh and here's hoping that Valve stays off other projects like L4D, or we will never see HL3.

gorpie
03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
GDC isn't over. While it's unlikely we'll get any Ep3 news from it, it's possible. And E3 2010 hasn't even happened yet.

surfrock22
03-10-2010, 10:26 AM
You've gotta love gorpie's optimism. :p

It ain't gunna happen, news at GDC, that is.

I agree, I think a HL3 would be much more satisfying, after this ridiculous wait that, seemingly, has only just begun..

flashn00b
03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
HL2Ep3 better be so epic that my children will experience it before they're even born.

Ramey
03-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Please.. threads like this are ridiculously stupid. You honestly think that Valve would be stupid enough to skip the entire ep 3 content and give us some random new start in HL3? That would kill most of the player base. I have no doubt that we will see Episode 3, whether it is incorporated into half life 3 or not.

surfrock22
03-10-2010, 10:39 AM
That would kill most of the player base.

You're right. I think two years of silence is a pretty nice way of adding new players into the fanbase..

TOBI239
03-10-2010, 10:42 AM
HL2Ep3 better be so epic that my children will experience it before they're even born.

you made my day sir have a rep

Jinoruizraged
03-10-2010, 11:07 AM

It already is. My childen of the future are freaking out now.

:( :D

backstepper
03-10-2010, 11:15 AM
GDC isn't over. While it's unlikely we'll get any Ep3 news from it, it's possible. And E3 2010 hasn't even happened yet.
Good way to see it ;)
You're right. I think two years of silence is a pretty nice way of adding new players into the fanbase..
Best buisness idea ever
Hell yes it will. I mean after all this time they won't just release another game without even mentioning Episode 3.

Solarmech
03-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I want the time I lost reading BL's rantings back. sm

The Free Man
03-10-2010, 12:22 PM
By then the source engine will be so out-dated it wont even matter.

Too bad that you're wrong because they can and do update it.

youknow
03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
There's going to have to be an Episode 3, because now would be a really weird time to jump to a different story arc.

Too bad that you're wrong because they can and do update it.

Yea, I never understand people when they say the Source engine is or is going to be out of date.

RussianWolf
03-10-2010, 12:47 PM

Knowing valve, it'll probably come out after they are born.

gorpie
03-10-2010, 01:04 PM
You've gotta love gorpie's optimism. :p

I choose to think of it as "anti-pessimism" as opposed to "optimism". At least in this case. :p

(I actually do not expect any info about Ep3 from GDC.)

RussianWolf
03-10-2010, 01:06 PM
The problem is that Half life 3 would involve a whole new story, or it would not be deserving of it's title being a whole new game. unless they are releasing some revolutionary graphics that would greatly distinguish the game from Half life 2. Which I doubt is happening.

HyperTech
03-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I fear very much that 2011 is going to be the year for Episode 3.. and not 2010.

I hope I have very wrong about that :)

surfrock22
03-10-2010, 01:17 PM
2011 makes a lot of sense. But, then again, so did 2008, 2009 and 2010..

RussianWolf
03-10-2010, 01:20 PM
2011 makes a lot of sense. But, then again, so did 2008, 2009 and 2010..

2012. he'll release to us right before the world explodes before he teleports to the combine overworld for further reassigning, after successfully managing to get everyone's guard down for a second while the world blew up.

jcool190
03-10-2010, 01:20 PM
What's the point now? HL2 was released 6 years ago, in 2004. To still not have its 3rd "add on" in 2010 is silly at this point. And there is still no word about an Ep3, even for 2011! By then the source engine will be so out-dated it wont even matter.

I would say continue the story with a monolithic HL3, complete with new engine, and target a release by 2012. VALVe has the manpower to do it, so myswell just do it that way. Oh and here's hoping that Valve stays off other projects like L4D, or we will never see HL3.

You want hl3 with insane graphics, I want episode 3 with slightly better graphics. You probably have a fairly new pc unlike myne which is 5 years old. Max out a games graphics eliminating a chunk of fans from the series or slightly improve the graphics to make sure the largest amount of fans can still play the next game in the series they love? What Would Valve Do?

It is never too late for ep3, we can't just skip it! It is the most vital part of the story yet. Source will not be outdated for a very long time and valve did not want to make a brand new engine for hl3 quite some time ago.

seseorang
03-10-2010, 01:47 PM
I hope Half-Life 3 doesn't contain Episodic content... I'd prefer a long game instead

gorpie
03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I hope Half-Life 3 doesn't contain Episodic content... I'd prefer a long game instead

I doubt they're going to do "episodes" again.

Azul5
03-10-2010, 03:07 PM
The idea of episodes is sound, being shorter, cheaper, and released more often than full games. They nailed the first two, but the third is a bit shaky for them :P

If they could do all three, I'm all for episodic content, the concept is just as good as it can get.

gorpie
03-10-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm for expansions, but not episodes. Ep2 was released over a year after Ep1. And it's 2-1/2 years and counting for Ep3.

I'd rather they spend the time making a new game. If they want to release an expansion in the meantime, that's one thing, but have them not so tied to each other.

bobsbarricades
03-10-2010, 03:25 PM
I think HL fans have short memories. There was just an interview, I think nightcabbage did it, with Gabe himself saying they didn't have anything to show for Ep3 so they don't. Simple as that. They want to give us quality, and they will.

Besides, you KNOW that even if it took TEN MORE YEARS you would still buy it the day it was released.

slayer20
03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I, for one, do not want to see Half-Life 3. I want to see Half-Life 2 Episode 3 first.

gorpie
03-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I think HL fans have short memories. There was just an interview, I think nightcabbage did it, with Gabe himself saying they didn't have anything to show for Ep3 so they don't. Simple as that. They want to give us quality, and they will.

Besides, you KNOW that even if it took TEN MORE YEARS you would still buy it the day it was released.

Yeah, if we're still alive... Some of us are a little older, you know. :p

bobsbarricades
03-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah, if we're still alive... Some of us are a little older, you know. :p

PSH - i wouldn't worry about it. You'll "be back"

teeheehee

=) Plus, I think so long as you have an insatiable hunger for like you CAN'T die. I've yet to be proven wrong too!

.n.ty|e$
03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Mimaz's sworn enemy! haha sorry, I couldn't resist..

Anyhow, for all we know, ep3 could be here in a few months.

gorpie
03-10-2010, 04:53 PM
PSH - i wouldn't worry about it. You'll "be back"

teeheehee

=) Plus, I think so long as you have an insatiable hunger for like you CAN'T die. I've yet to be proven wrong too!

Okay. If I "come back", HL2 will be really outdated by the time I'm aware enough of games to want to play... And then I'll have to go through the whole learning process of G-Man, and Advisor abilities and everything else I've learned in the past months... :)

(I don't expect to die of old age in the next 10 years, anyway, since I'm only 47.)

JXF
03-10-2010, 05:25 PM

I know I would [will?].

Blue Lightning
03-10-2010, 05:26 PM
You want hl3 with insane graphics, I want episode 3 with slightly better graphics. You probably have a fairly new pc unlike myne which is 5 years old. Max out a games graphics eliminating a chunk of fans from the series or slightly improve the graphics to make sure the largest amount of fans can still play the next game in the series they love? What Would Valve Do?

I would hope that by the time Ep3 is released we would have a new PC. Mine too is old, but can play Bioshock 2 no problem max frames. But it isnt just about graphics. I hope the graphics are the same for HL3, and instead Valve uses their new engine power on..oh, realtime weather systems, and compltley destructable enviroments, and full body awareness, stuff like that.

It is never too late for ep3, we can't just skip it!

I think they already did.

I think not. See, there are general fans and hardcore fans. The hardcore fans still use this forum and yes they will buy it. But they are a small group. The general base (which is huge and liked Ep2 and Portal), forgot about Ep3 a year ago. This is because NO MEDIA was released about Ep3...nothing to keep them going. So they are no longer jacked about Ep3. When it is released (if it ever is), they will be playing MW5 and wont care a wit about Ep3...if they even hear about it (remember, Valve doesnt advertise the HL games).

I think that ship already left the harbor for Valve.

gorpie
03-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I think not. See, there are general fans and hardcore fans. The hardcore fans still use this forum and yes they will buy it. But they are a small group. The general base (which is huge and liked Ep2 and Portal), forgot about Ep3 a year ago. This is because NO MEDIA was released about Ep3...nothing to keep them going. So they are no longer jacked about Ep3. When it is released (if it ever is), they will be playing MW5 and wont care a wit about Ep3...if they even hear about it (remember, Valve doesnt advertise the HL games).

I think that ship already left the harbor for Valve.

I think not. I don't consider myself a hardcore fan, even though I'm here regularly. And I only showed up because I had a glitch in my second play-through.

Even if I had never come to the forums (and stayed), I would have bought Ep3 when it came out because I like HL2. If I like a game, I want the whole thing, even if I'm not a hardcore fan of it.

Maybe there are people who won't buy it because they're tired of waiting. But most will probably buy it anyway because they're gamers, they play games, and it will be new.

relaxeder
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Nooo... I want Episode Three. :(

As good as Episode Two was it seems like a pretty poor way to cap off the series, especially considering it wasn't planned to end it with.

Lacaille9352
03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
You know I don't usually make use of these forums as a poster. I read lots of threads of course, but I'm wondering here, did the OP mean to imply that the EP3 storyline, whatever it might be should be thrown out? When I read his post I was of the impression it was more of a "roll EP3 into an entirely new game with even more content and release it." Am I wrong on that front? Have I daftly misinterpreted things here? At this point I wouldn't mind waiting for an entirely new, full length title if the already existent EP3 content were added into that, but perhaps I'm wrong on that front...

Scary Chicken
03-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Yea, I never understand people when they say the Source engine is or is going to be out of date.

Crysis engine 1 or 2, Frosbite, XRay, Dunia, CoD MW engine, etc, are just examples that show how outdated source is. This is only at the graphics level. Let's alone A.I...

I doubt they're going to do "episodes" again.

I agree. Episodes were definitely a failed approach and they assimilated it after the debacle of Ep2.

I think despite the pitfalls regarding gameplay and graphics what has made Half-Life what it is resides in its narrative which, in my opinion, needs a shocking event like Alyx death for example, to give again that freedom to the main character and thus to the universe of the Half-Life series itself. In such sense, I think Ep3 is actually necessary to fix the cheesy turn of the narrative by pushing Alyx into the story line.

AoA
03-10-2010, 10:28 PM
i have to agree, the delay has reached a point where releasing a episode would just be disappointing. people would ridicule valve for spending 3 years making a 8 hour game. an 8 hour episode, to a game made 6 years prior.

its too late, valve has to change things up.

if they dedicated the man power to make a full fledged sequel to a game that shipped with episode 2, then theres no reason for episode 3 not to be here by now. unless its has the same fate.

Lacaille9352
03-10-2010, 10:47 PM
AoA makes a good point in the comparison to the situation with Portal 2. At this point it's been so long since Episode 2, what's another year of development time? In fact the delay kind of reminds me of what went on with Battlestar Galactica. Due to the writers strike and other issues that show had two years of hiatus for one seasons worth of programming. At some point you reach a stage where more waiting wont significantly impact your interest one way or the other in a particular bit of media. I've long since "gotten over" the ending to EP2 and at this point I could just as easily live with there never being a conclusion to that cliffhanger. All I can say is, I hope the wait will be worth it.

Whatthecell
03-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Um, NO. Just NO

JCD
03-11-2010, 01:16 AM
I think not. I don't consider myself a hardcore fan, even though I'm here regularly. And I only showed up because I had a glitch in my second play-through.

Even if I had never come to the forums (and stayed), I would have bought Ep3 when it came out because I like HL2. If I like a game, I want the whole thing, even if I'm not a hardcore fan of it.

Maybe there are people who won't buy it because they're tired of waiting. But most will probably buy it anyway because they're gamers, they play games, and it will be new.

Dont consider this a personal attack or even really serious, but,

If you do not consider yourself a hard core fan, how can you explain the 3,733 posts ya made then? ;)

EDIT: Anyhow, to actually add to the discussion -- I believe EP3 should be created and advertised as a full length expansion rather than a episode. It can be called EP3, but have all the hallmarks of a full expansion, I believe. And, the last chance for EP3 is probably E3 2010. If nothing happens then, either Valve as we loved it is no more, or HL3 is on it's way. Or L4D3. D:

photek1944
03-11-2010, 03:28 AM
I believe EP3 should be created and advertised as a full length expansion rather than a episode. It can be called EP3, but have all the hallmarks of a full expansion, I believe.

That's exactly the way I look at it. Discussions about HL3 or episode 3 are just a matter of terminology and marketing.
The reason why EP3 is taking so long is probably (1) marketing the release of other games (i.e. L4D2) (2) Valve wants to put a climactic ending to the episodes. Also, EP3 will need to answer a number of questions about the Gman and other story related enigmas that half-life has been dragging on since its first release.
So, I honestly don't believe they would release EP3 as an 8hour episodic game. With all the tension that's been built up in the fan base since EP2's release, I don't think they can afford to let their fans down like this. We all expect the big guns from Valve now after such a long and enduring wait.

lostinseganet
03-11-2010, 04:59 AM
HL2Ep3 better be so epic that my children will experience it before they're even born. Your ovaries are just cumming with excitement...?

we11er
03-11-2010, 06:21 AM
That's exactly the way I look at it. Discussions about HL3 or episode 3 are just a matter of terminology and marketing.
The reason why EP3 is taking so long is probably (1) marketing the release of other games (i.e. L4D2) (2) Valve wants to put a climactic ending to the episodes. Also, EP3 will need to answer a number of questions about the Gman and other story related enigmas that half-life has been dragging on since its first release.
So, I honestly don't believe they would release EP3 as an 8hour episodic game. With all the tension that's been built up in the fan base since EP2's release, I don't think they can afford to let their fans down like this. We all expect the big guns from Valve now after such a long and enduring wait.

Exactly. They have a LOT of stuff to cover, so I have a feeling Episode 3 will be a fairly lengthly game.

We've got to make our way to the Borealis, learn what the hell is going on there with Aperture Science, fight some combine and save Mossman, figure out who the g-man is or what he's up to, destroy the Borealis and see what happens with that whole thing, somehow banish the combine and/or save Earth for the time being, and basically draw it all to a close. I don't think you can really do that in an episode the length of Ep 1/2 so it'll have to be much longer. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

gorpie
03-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Dont consider this a personal attack or even really serious, but,

If you do not consider yourself a hard core fan, how can you explain the 3,733 posts ya made then? ;)

Many of my posts are trying to help people get their games to run. :) Others are really substantive, like this one (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12521517&postcount=16) or my contributions to this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=992684).

In such sense, I think Ep3 is actually necessary to fix the cheesy turn of the narrative by pushing Alyx into the story line.

I don't think they need to go to the extreme of Alyx's death. Lots of people really like Alyx. Just because some of us don't like the fact that she was pushed on us doesn't mean that killing her off is the only solution...

Crysis engine 1 or 2, Frosbite, XRay, Dunia, CoD MW engine, etc, are just examples that show how outdated source is. This is only at the graphics level. Let's alone A.I...

Have you seen this stuff (http://www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/devblog/)? It's ON SOURCE. For the update to the mod Dear Esther (which is yet to be released, I believe--the update I mean, not the mod).

surfrock22
03-11-2010, 08:37 AM
http://www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/devblog/

"Performance is also looking great, currently on par with the first level, and for those of you who are wondering, if you can run any OB/L4D game then you will most certainly be able to run this. Right now I can run it at 30-40fps, 19001080 on my humble laptop with only a 9600M GPU with everything maxed out."

:eek:

I thought performance would suffer. Looks like very few people are going to have trouble running these visuals maxed out! What awesome work! :)

gorpie
03-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Surfrock, that was the link I posted when I said "Have you seen this stuff?"

Geez, I thought nightcabbage was supposed to be the lazy one... :p

Sierra Oscar
03-11-2010, 09:55 AM
No. The Half Life 2 storyarc needs to be finished, so it is not too late.

harlequ1n
03-11-2010, 09:55 AM
I still remember how episodic content would spare fans years of waiting for sequels to their games.

JCD
03-11-2010, 10:11 AM
I still remember how episodic content would spare fans years of waiting for sequels to their games.

For ironic hilarity, we should try to dig up the commentary nodes that talk about that. ^^

Still, I commend Valve for trying, though I never liked episodic content so much, same for DLC. Still, the Episodes were awesome.

senne teddy
03-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Don't flame at me if I'm wrong but I think this haven't been posted here.
Some guy at the TF2 forums says there is a hl3 logo hidden in the blog update post:
logo (http://pici.se/pictures/kQEkugyJv.jpg)
(orginal) (http://www.teamfortress.com/images/posts/mailstorm_large)

E: Lol, Sierra Oscar just tripled my rep points :p

Jinoruizraged
03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
That guyt has got to be the most delusional wishful thinker ever. Thats kinda funny. :D

hellbat2
03-11-2010, 10:32 AM
It ain't gunna happen, news at GDC, that is.

You don't know. Unless you have psychic vision, or are just oh so smart, you don't know this.

Jinoruizraged
03-11-2010, 10:38 AM
You don't get it Hellbat. Earlier discussion of this topic has brought up that GDC is a place for developers to talk about the things that they "have done" not for "up and coming releases" that is what E3 is for.

Don't get your hopes up. Surfrock has the right idea keeping his expectations low, so either he won't be as dissappointed or he will be more happy and surprised about the announcement.

senne teddy
03-11-2010, 11:19 AM
I never had hopes for GDC so I'm happy we get Portal 2. I do have hopes for the E3. If they announce 2 games on E3, all attention might go to Ep3 and none to portal 2.

Saying that Episode Three and Portal 2 can't be in a pack is nonsense. This time there will be only 2 games, not 5. And if you buy all OB games separately you will have to pay the price of 2 games. And because episode three is still labelled as episode I don't think they will charge you with a full price.

Sierra Oscar
03-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I always thought GDC is the place where you would give more sort of . . . technological presentations? I would expect a Source engine announcement more than an announcement of an actual game itself.

senne teddy
03-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I always thought GDC is the place where you would give more sort of . . . technological presentations? I would expect a Source engine announcement more than an announcement of an actual game itself.
Source on MAC? isn't that good enough?

Fox McCloud
03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I figure it'll end up being in 2011 or later, given the current state of affairs. After the engineer update for TF2 is completely, VALVe will essentially be "done" with TF2 except for some minor rebalances, new maps, and maybe a new game mode; nothing as intensive as any class update.

They've finished L4D2 (and the passing will be arriving in the not-so-distant future) which pretty much leaves Portal 2 as the only other remaining development. When that's completed, well, my guess is they'll start working on Episode 3.

In any event, I could be entirely wrong, and Episode 3 gets announced at GDC or E3 (not counting on the former), but I think this is a huge stretch, especially given this little tidbit: http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=161435

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they really did skip Episode 3 and go on to Half-life 3 and just incorporate the storyline of Episode 3 into the new game. I really hope that's not the case though, as that'd definitely push the release date well past even 2011.

Saynt
03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Have you seen the images from Portal 2? The graphics look amazing

senne teddy
03-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Have you seen the images from Portal 2? The graphics look amazing
What does this have to do with anything in this thread? go post this in the portal 2 section.

And why is everyone giving up on 2010? GDC isn't for releasing games, the E3 is. But then why did they announce Portal 2? Probable because they do not want all attention to go to Ep3 on the E3. They don't want portal 2 on the background.

surfrock22
03-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I know, I was indirectly referring to that.. :p

AguyinaRPG
03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
they'll start working on Episode 3.

You really think they've done nothing about Episode 3? With a decent amount of designers, writers, programmers, etc. you think not a single bit of the game element has been touched and after their done with everything else they will start on this game?

I believe there's already a team, albeit small, working on it. The story, as been said, is not a problem. The only problem comes from how fast a team of developers can work on a product.

Blue Lightning
03-11-2010, 06:16 PM
You know I don't usually make use of these forums as a poster. I read lots of threads of course, but I'm wondering here, did the OP mean to imply that the EP3 storyline, whatever it might be should be thrown out?

Not nessacarily. It could be picked up in HL3, or it could be "referenced" in HL3. I'm saying that the general fanbase is gone for Ep3.

Look at Bioshock 2. We got a steady stream of media to keep the fanbase jacked up, and 2 and 1/2 years later we got the game. The fans were all waiting for it, and now 2k is well past 3 million sales, just 3 weeks after it's release. They kept the Bioshock 1 fans interested and that was smart.

Not only has Valve not released media about Ep3, they havent even mentioned it! That is not how you keep a fanbase. A large monolithic HL3 can however do well out of the gate. Remember, with Ep3 we are only talking about a 5 or 6 chapter episode and an aging engine.

Blue Lightning
03-11-2010, 09:06 PM
You really think they've done nothing about Episode 3? With a decent amount of designers, writers, programmers, etc. you think not a single bit of the game element has been touched and after their done with everything else they will start on this game?

Well if they have, they havent shown it. The first mistake was deciding to do episodes and predicting "one per year', which was obviously too lofty a goal. Then they compounded the problem with making other games, further impeading development on the Half Life series.

Also I like the graphics with HL2...outdated or not, they look fine. When speaking of an upgraded engine earlier, I was talking about gameplay mechanics like realtime weather, destructable enviroments etc. If by "upgrading the Source engine" players mean "HDR", well that doesnt cut it. That is such a minor thing, in fact I keep mine turned off because it bugs me. I dont consider that an upgrade.

Icekimi
03-11-2010, 09:14 PM
It's just a name, what difference does that make? It doesn't matter if its going to be called HL3 or Ep.3, the game would be the same. Gordon going to the Borealis and figuring out what to do. Why is it better to be named HL3? They can make a new engine and still call it Ep.3 you know?

Otto-Grainer
03-12-2010, 02:25 AM
And remember, "even for 2011!" is not necessarily so. Left 4 Dead 2 was announced and released in the same year. :)

What? I'm allowed to have high hopes. :(

Flamov
03-12-2010, 04:19 AM
It's just a name, what difference does that make? It doesn't matter if its going to be called HL3 or Ep.3, the game would be the same. Gordon going to the Borealis and figuring out what to do. Why is it better to be named HL3? They can make a new engine and still call it Ep.3 you know?

This is indeed correct.

The episodes were a trilogy and are always going to be a trilogy, regardless of when Episode 3 finally rolls around. The end of Episode 3 has to end the current story arc that was established in Half-Life 2 which means something big has to happen at the end of the next and last episode.

Whatever is after Episode 3 will be what it is, but Episode 3 exists and will not change.

surfrock22
03-12-2010, 10:57 AM
We don't know if "Episode 3" even exists anymore, actually.. who knows what is going on over there. It's been months and months since the last real mention of the episode..

Blue Lightning
03-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Yep.

No Ep3 media, and no word. At least Black Mesa has media! But look, enjoy HL2 and all those SP mods, and the two episodes. Thats all we needed.

mimaz98
03-29-2010, 05:43 AM

I do not think we will be seeing a HL3, Blue. Nor do I believe will we be seeing EP3, exactly. Half-Life 2: 'Something', I suspect. It is a pity, really, in retrospect that Valve chose to confine themselves to Episodes and their respective constructs. They set themselves expectations that are haunting them to this day. Episode One should always have been called Aftermath. Episode Two should always have been called Outland. They are more suitable titles because they do not carry with them the misconceptions that have infested 'Episode'.

Mimaz's sworn enemy! haha sorry, I couldn't resist..

Anyhow, for all we know, ep3 could be here in a few months.

Yes, quite.

Regardless, he brings up a few valid points.

A few.

I think not. See, there are general fans and hardcore fans. The hardcore fans still use this forum and yes they will buy it. But they are a small group. The general base (which is huge and liked Ep2 and Portal), forgot about Ep3 a year ago.

Tsk, tsk, Blue.

Where is your evidence?

Or are you once more pulling assumptions out of your ♥♥♥?

Not nessacarily. It could be picked up in HL3, or it could be "referenced" in HL3. I'm saying that the general fanbase is gone for Ep3.

No, it is not.

Not only has Valve not released media about Ep3, they havent even mentioned it! That is not how you keep a fanbase.

I don't disagree that their marketing decision seem somewhat neglectful.

surfrock22
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Eh. I don't think I would like for the "episodes" to have been specifically named, personally. Although, I think you are right in that they should not have been called episodes.

I mean, any way you slice this thing, the bottom line is that Valve has neglected their Half-Life fanbase for years. Plain and simple. Maybe they have something great in store that will blow us away, I don't know. But everything is just getting ridiculous, at this point. Sigh. I would just like to know what happened to Half-Life; that is all.

do_it_4_da_lolz
03-30-2010, 06:13 AM

hl1 was a year tf2 was 5 years lol just wait ok i mean comon tf2 now is still fine and striving just wait like valves moto is if a game isnt late not even a tiny bit the game will suck for ever

backstepper
03-30-2010, 06:50 AM
The problem is team fortress did not end with a cliffhanger and isn't supposed to continue any story arc.:p

TempS
03-30-2010, 11:14 AM
If Valve waits too long to make EP3, the gfx and source engine will look like crap compared to other games. This is dangerous for Valve. I mean I'd still go for Episode 3, but there is no shortage of people out there to whom up to date cutting edge graphics are the #1 concern.. and would NEVER pick up an older game. Seems like unless Valve makes the graphics MUCH better than they were for HL2, they are risking it with EP3 seeing as the EP3 release is coming so late...

Solarmech
03-30-2010, 12:39 PM
If Valve waits too long to make EP3, the gfx and source engine will look like crap compared to other games.

Um, you REALLY don't know the Source engine is set up do you? Source in highly modular. They can (and have) taken out parts of the engine and put new more advanced sections in. If you look at the graphics for Half Life 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 you will see the improvements that have been made. sm