PDA

View Full Version : So who else has actually READ Call of Cthulhu? (H.P. Lovecraft)

QuickCam7
03-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Seriously, its an incredible story and it seems like no one knows of its exsistence... Im assuming who ever has read the story is one of the more mature gamers out there and if so, what are your opinions of the adaptation of short story -> game?

I personlly do not have this game, and am on the fence of buying it, but I'd rather not, if the developer botched the story horribly.

TheOD
03-11-2010, 05:14 AM
The game is actually based on Shadow Over Innsmouth and bits of the pen and paper game.
They were supposed to release other Call of Cthulhu games but since the developpers went under before they even finished the PC port of this one they'll never happen.

Just be wary that, like I said, the developpers went under before the game was done, so it was finished by one of their programmers or something and is very very very buggy. Under all the bugs is hidden a gem though, it's really good. Just warning you in case you do buy it.

If you own a Xbox you may want to find it for that to avoid troubleshooting.

blookieROBLOX
03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
I wanted to read one of the Cthulu myths, but my bookstore doesn't carry it.

Ins0mniac
03-26-2010, 10:23 PM
I wanted to read one of the Cthulu myths, but my bookstore doesn't carry it.

you can read pretty much all of his stories here

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html

maul_inc
03-27-2010, 01:07 AM
The story in this game is actually a near 1:1 adaption of The Call of Cthulhu pen & paper campaign called Escape From Innsmouth (pretty thick book from Chaosium but I think it's out of print now) which in turn is adapted from "The Shadow out of Time" and "The Shadow over Innsmouth" AND there is also a big of "Dagon" in there ;-)

I got several Hp. Lovecraft books, I even got a fluffy plush Cthulhu :-)

If you need a place to buy Lovecraft related merchandise and some of he's works then go to Chaosium.com and click on catalog in the upper left section, but you can find he's work all over the internet (Amazon and online bookstores) but Chaosium usually have some good Anthologies (collections of Lovecraft stories)

Ps. The Shadow out of time and Shadow over Inssmouth is pretty awesome read as is The Call of Cthulhu :-)
Did you know that some awesome guys made The Call of Cthulhu into a Black/White silent movie that is pretty great because it looks like the film was made in the 20's (the time period where the story takes place) and overall it's just a great movie (it won several Awards worldwide a few years back)
Check out their site: http://www.cthulhulives.org/toc.html

Pps. AND did you know that Metallica have made a couple of Cthulhu related songs?
There is "The Thing that should not Be" & obviously "The Call of Cthulhu"

Sachaztan
03-27-2010, 07:44 AM
The Shadow over Innsmouth is awesome,everyone should read it! Haven't played the pen and paper though, but I heard campaigns were hard to have as all the characters died, went mad or committed suicide too quickly no matter what they did :P

maul_inc
03-27-2010, 05:02 PM
The Shadow over Innsmouth is awesome,everyone should read it! Haven't played the pen and paper though, but I heard campaigns were hard to have as all the characters died, went mad or committed suicide too quickly no matter what they did :P

Well, me and some buddies of mine actually played a very long Pen Paper campaign and we actually got to the end and Face Ctulhu Himself on R'lyeh :-) only me and one other guy survived as everybody else died of insanity as they couldn't stand staring The Big C in the eyes :-D

So yeah, there is a high mortality rate in this game, but that is big part of the scariness (you are constantly reminded that you are mortal and seeking forbidden knowledge will eventually lead to your doom even though you can become a very powerful Wizard)
i think this pc game is the best Call of Cthulhu game adaption created with Shadow of the Comet on a close second, it's just a shame that the game has several issues as the company went bankrupt but I'm soo happy that it made it's way to the pc because this game is LOADED with details for Lovecraft readers (there is a lot of stuff going on that one can miss while playing that is a nod to the books and so on).

If you play this game then don't be ashamed to use a walkthrough as the bugs and problems with the game can cause you to get lost in what to do at certain points.

Pharod12
03-28-2010, 04:20 AM
you can read pretty much all of his stories here

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html

Fantastic! Thanks very much. :D

Gibblitz
03-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I've read a lot of them- http://voicesinthedark.com/creator.php?iCreator=10 has a lot of Lovecraft audio books too.

Almost Human
03-30-2010, 01:30 AM
A Lovecraft fan here as well, I've read (and enjoyed) a bunch of his works. For online reading I recommend the collection at Wikisource here (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Howard_Phillips_Lovecraft).

abort_user
03-30-2010, 09:34 AM
its been a while but ive read a lot of his stuff. cant go wrong with Lovecraft or Cthulhu.

TimeNinja
04-01-2010, 08:28 PM
if anyone has a kindle, i got a collection of 67 essential Lovecraft stories for 99 cents.

BarerRudeROC
04-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Oi, oi Cthulhu!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'lagl fhtagn!

theinhtun
04-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I read at the mountains of madness

Elder things have had quite a lot of drama

tssge2
04-20-2010, 12:06 PM
The game is really good. You should buy it. Only thing that's annoying, is bugs. I also have read many books of H. P. Lovecraft. I'm going to buy "The Outsider and others", it's the first collection book ever released by Arkham House, and costs so much. I still think it's worth it.
If someone has the Call Of Cthulhu Xbox version in the UK, or somewhere in Europe, PM me, I will buy it. I already have the PC version, but I heard that the Xbox version has less bugs.
Ia!Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn !

Sylarrrr
04-24-2010, 01:49 AM
More Lovecraft fans? Cool, best horror writer ever. You should check out the movie In The Mouth Of Madness - Very Lovecratian.

Simonicus
04-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Yeah !
In answer to this thread lol

Im actually working through the Necronomicon, a cool collection of his stories, but its also got some additional background on the man and some cool drawings etc. Plus it looks like the old book of the dead from evil dead so looks quite cool on my bookshelf ;)

Got that on Amazon a few months back - before that I knew of Lovecraft but hadnt read anything... so looking around for some decent horror games other than the usual stuff and call of cthulhu came up. Yeah its old but I love the atmosphere and how you have to avoid going insane etc from seeing the cosmic horrors that lurk. After that, only then did I actually start to read the stuff, I was just after the shadow over innsmouth as a paperback initially (that escape from the hotel is awesome in the game and I needed to see the story) but figured i had a lot of catching up to do so looked for a good compilation and thats how the Necronomicon called to me in the end, so to speak.

Now Im a true fan, honestly the man was a genius, some have compared him to Mr Edgar allen Poe, and Stephen king has quoted him as an inspiration, opening the way. Its just a shame that only after his death has he become so recognised and respected, kinda like Nikola Tesla I guess or like those movies that are rubbish at the cinema but later become cult classics. Life is strange like that.

Simonicus
04-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Im looking into the movies. That mythos has had massive influence it seems. The only movie I have seen was a short fanfilm about the Music of Erich Zahn?
Which was actually very cool and atmospheric. Maybe I will try and find the link if anyones interested...
Another I saw a trailer for during this research was some silent movie called The Call of Cthulhu. Black and white but looking good. Thats actually posted on youtube.

Any of you guys heard of the book of common thoughts or something? It was apperently something like a rough ideas book full of notes and potential stories etc
Oh and by the way, never chatted to any lovecraft fans - good to meet ya, thx

Simonicus
04-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Mature? Im 30 do I count? lol
This is the best Horror Ive played, maybe with the exception of the original silent hill games. It just captures "horror" so well and maintains that oppressive evil atmosphere throughout. (Much like the feeling I have when I am at work lol) Seriously though, so many horror games rely on making you jump now and then or similar shock tactics - but Credit to them there are some fine games out there, although to me those methods just after a while turn the experience into a fairground ghost train ride if you see what i mean, the "shock moments" become anticipated and repetitive after a few hours play and that to me is not the nature of horror.
Also I love the detailed worlds todays tech can generate but it speaks volumes that a "less fancy graphics" tm artificial world can play with your mind more than the latest blockbuster. Also that so many encounter severe bugs and yet continue... like a Shoggoth? Ok enough with the bug jokes, sry people.

Engine
05-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I was just browsing the Steam forums and saw a Cthulu forum... I was looking for a book a few years back and saw a Lovecraft compendium. I'd always wondered what the story behind the whole "Cthulu for President" internet meme, so I picked up up and loved his works ever since!

I had no idea a game existed! I'll have to pick it up tonight.

Simonicus
05-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Wow lol, I never knew that a Cthulu for President meme existed...
Hi Engine, the game does have bugs as im sure you have read but seriously you owe it to yourself as a fan to persevere with it - You will find yourself glad that you did. Thats even if you do encounter glitches, not everyone does it seems. Ive not yet reached chapter seven with the "island shooty bug" yet which some have found workarounds on these forums, but So far it has been a great experience for me. She may not be the prettiest but she aint ugly either. Sure she has her flaws as many do, but shes got it where it counts - stick around with her for a while and you will be rewarded. Verily I sayeth unto thee lol;)

maul_inc
05-06-2010, 01:03 PM
(I have made this into a thread hoping that most Dark Corners players will read it)
Link: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14814827#post14814827

About bugs in this game: i haven't encountered a lot and I have completed the game a couple of times. But Imho it's critical that the player uses the unofficial patch/launcher by Sucklead and edit a couple of settings, the walk speed and maybe the sneak speed has to be increased 15% so that it matches the speed in the X-box version, that will make the experience a lot less frustrating :)
Another couple of settings that I prefer to tweak is the damage pr. bullet for the TommyGun, it deals out way too little damage compared to the 9mm pistol with a magazine, NOT the revolver mind you :)

And finally I like to make the Extended ending sequence be shown always as it is next to impossible to get it by normal means, and the extended sequence is the Real one since it gives a satisfactory explanation and doesn't leave the player wondering Wtf happened :)

Link to Sucklead's patch: http://www.sendspace.com/file/90eeyc

Engine
05-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks dudes, I'll definitely give it a shot. Been gaming a long time, so I'm not too put of by bugs unless they're game-breaking, and I'll get sucklead's patch too.

Simonicus:
http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=1212

Been seeing variations on this theme on the web for years now. I'd vote Elder Party!

RndmNumGenerato
06-11-2010, 09:53 AM
I've read Call of Cthulhu and The Outsider, but no others.

Outsider actually 'got' me more than CoC did.

QuickCam7
06-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I've read Call of Cthulhu and The Outsider, but no others.

Outsider actually 'got' me more than CoC did.

The Outsider is more "intimate", yes, but CoC is a lot more engaging if you really get involved with the whole myth.

Zamav
06-13-2010, 11:48 PM
I own 2 collections and more than a few hard cover stories of HP Lovecraft, so yeah, big fan :D

GIRAFFE OF GOD
06-15-2010, 08:36 AM
eh,Coc is highly overrated imo,i liked stuff like the dunwitch horror,the rats in the walls and the shunned house much more.

QuickCam7
06-15-2010, 03:36 PM
eh,Coc is highly overrated imo,i liked stuff like the dunwitch horror,the rats in the walls and the shunned house much more.

I'm working on the Dunwich Horror at the moment, actually. Its very engaging, and I think I'm actually finding it better than CoC, so agreed there.

smood47
06-24-2010, 03:43 PM
This is the best horror game of all time.

After playing it (not on steam) and reading Shadow over Innsmouth I could see how expertly the game fits with the descriptions of the story. This game really is a masterpiece and puts other so called 'horror' games to shame. HP Lovecraft is the king of horror.

Azathothh
07-03-2010, 09:23 AM
More Lovecraft fans? Cool, best horror writer ever. You should check out the movie In The Mouth Of Madness - Very Lovecratian.

Awesome movie! Check out also: Dagon, From Beyond and Re-Animator directed by Stuart Gordon. Shatterbrain (The Ressurected) is also excelent.;)

maul_inc
07-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Awesome movie! Check out also: Dagon, From Beyond and Re-Animator directed by Stuart Gordon. Shatterbrain (The Ressurected) is also excelent.;)

I agree totally! But you forgot to mention the finest Lovecraft adaption, namely "The Call of Cthulhu" black and white silent movie, that's the way to do film adaptions of he's work ;)

Check out the filmmakers site for trailer and merchandise AND a teaser for their upcoming Lovecraft adaption called "The Whisperer in Darkness"

Link: http://www.cthulhulives.org/toc.html

Left 4 Shred
07-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Cool Air is my favorite Lovecraft story. I loved this game being a big Dagon fan but The Dagon fight really disappointed me. Its still nothing in comparison to good ole CoC though. :D

Simonicus
08-18-2010, 02:29 PM
A Lovecraft fan here as well, I've read (and enjoyed) a bunch of his works. For online reading I recommend the collection at Wikisource here (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Howard_Phillips_Lovecraft).

Hey, really cool to see a few more fans here since my last post in this thread :)
AND really cool to combine our knowledge and share this stuff - thanks engine for your chaosium link and the online versions of his stories too - really pleased with those especially this wiki source one that almost human suggested:)) Rep to you sir, it even conveniently turns the pages into a PDF file, just right for my old skool palm one Zire 72 and pdf app. :cool:

I know, it aint an iphone, a swanky netbook or even a ds lol but it serves its purpose well lol

Mastix
08-18-2010, 09:59 PM
I own the book "The Best of H.P Lovecraft" that got 16 of his stories, Call of Cthulhu is among them, amazing book indeed.!