PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

jupe69
04-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I thought that was peculiar too!!!!!!!!!! oh man people our questions answered, our thirst quenched!

After following this thread for 160+ pages, refreshing more than 200 times per day, setting up boot camp again after getting desperate.... This downtime is the only thing that gave me a *little* hope.

Then again..
I know better.

KrYpT
ta. but what about this scheduled downtime tomorrow. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)

That would be a perfect time to patch up the store, put up the download link and prep up the servers for a bunch of people to download the client.

boucer665
so much hype and fans being in the dark will cause a lot of commotion, the guys at valve are probably getting a kick out of this lol

captainjonald
ta. but what about this scheduled downtime tomorrow. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14633658&postcount=182

Steam server updates, probably fairly routine.
Though naturally the excitable child in me tells me the server update is to cope with the Mac announcement; it got pushed back until tomorrow because some Dev asked for another day to perfect the Mac client.

/wild theory

slimjim8094
04-27-2010, 09:43 PM

There's basically two possibilities. One is that Steam is a complex network composed of geographically-dispersed computers that requires occasional maintenance, and the other is that they'll release Steam Mac on a Wednesday with large bugs.

Don't get me wrong, I desperately hope it's out in April - but they're rapidly running out of time and it doesn't look like they're far enough along yet.

If they have *any* hope of an April release, tomorrow they'd better be putting out a RC to all the beta invitees. If all the beta folks come around and say "almost all of the bad bugs are gone!", then I'll get my hopes up.

But if there's still problems as stupid as the window-control buttons getting cut off... it seems unlikely at best.

FroggySwede
04-27-2010, 09:45 PM
But if there's still problems as stupid as the window-control buttons getting cut off... it seems unlikely at best.
On the other hand, if they're monkeying around with UI elements, maybe that means the big stuff's taken care of?

<-- sick of speculating, but can't help myself! :o

vtor67
04-27-2010, 09:48 PM

Yep; valve would never release a product like that

slimjim8094
04-27-2010, 09:53 PM
On the other hand, if they're monkeying around with UI elements, maybe that means the big stuff's taken care of?

<-- sick of speculating, but can't help myself! :o

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps it was incidental to another change.

The big indicator for me will be when the Windows-specific stuff goes away - like filtering by .exe, or listening to Ctrl-C instead of Apple-C.

Of course, weren't there a lot of problems with the Windows beta when it was put out? Could they not do something similar?

Sambo110
04-27-2010, 09:57 PM
I found another Windows thing in the beta. I forget where it was, but there was a second picture of Windows, showing something that I forgot. Then there is the picture showing the taskbar, and the other couple of references.

KrYpT
04-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Gah, wish Valve would say something...

captainjonald
04-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I found another Windows thing in the beta. I forget where it was, but there was a second picture of Windows, showing something that I forgot. Then there is the picture showing the taskbar, and the other couple of references.

You forget a lot :p

Any chance you can go back and try and find it, I'm not at all sure what you mean.

vtor67
04-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps it was incidental to another change.

The big indicator for me will be when the Windows-specific stuff goes away - like filtering by .exe, or listening to Ctrl-C instead of Apple-C.

Of course, weren't there a lot of problems with the Windows beta when it was put out? Could they not do something similar?

you spoke too soon! both of these are fixed.
check your pm's

mariusaz
04-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Most of those are Mac compatible anyway.... unless you mean you want them available on steam.

I don't want any crappy Cider ports or directx wrapper games on Steam, PERIOD!!!

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 10:15 PM
check your pm's

Talk about good news. If I could give rep, I would. Thanks for the news. :)

vtor67
04-27-2010, 10:16 PM

it was fixed in an update today a few hours ago. btw, the top-left buttons are still cutoff :(

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
it was fixed in an update today a few hours ago.

So what's still outstanding, bug-wise? Any more Windows references lurking about? Are the traffic-light buttons fixed?(nope)

jeffster888
04-27-2010, 10:19 PM
If valve decided to release it on the 29th, coinciding with the 10.04 ubuntu launch, and also had a version for linux ready, my brain would go out in a fiery explosion of awesome *end manical speculation*
If that happened, pigs would fly. using portals. on the moon. and Our Cheesecake Leaders would be pleased.

captainjonald

If there's news, I would kindly ask that you share it.
If there's not news, kindly ask me to butt out. :)

slimjim8094
check your pm's

Great. Sounds like they may very well be on-time.

Oh good God, I hope so.

vtor67
04-27-2010, 10:20 PM
So what's still outstanding, bug-wise? Any more Windows references lurking about? Are the traffic-light buttons fixed?

only the traffic-lights are messed up as much as i can see. btw the performance is GREAT. certainly better than windows steam. im not sure if everyone's having the same experience im having though. the system information panel shows my system correctly. if i remember correctly it wasn't in the past. my only hope for source when it comes out is that i dont have to redownload all the resources! (i shouldnt have to though, the engine and resources are 2 seperate gcf's)

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 10:22 PM
If there's news, I would kindly ask that you share it.
If there's not news, kindly ask me to butt out. :)

From post above:
check your pm's

INFERNO2K
04-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes. There is quite a kerfuffle in this thread; let's all calm down.

slimjim8094
04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I was being guarded, but now my hopes are sky-high! It really sounds like they could pull this off!!

Wishful thinking? Maybe. In any case, they'd be cutting it mighty close. But I'll keep dreaming, dammit, until 3:59AM on Saturday morning (Valve's midnight).

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
only the traffic-lights are messed up as much as i can see. btw the performance is GREAT. certainly better than windows steam. im not sure if everyone's having the same experience im having though. the system information panel shows my system correctly. if i remember correctly it wasn't in the past. my only hope for source when it comes out is that i dont have to redownload all the resources! (i shouldnt have to though, the engine and resources are 2 seperate gcf's)

Cool stuff. Give this guy some rep!

vtor67
04-27-2010, 10:24 PM
and Our Cheesecake Leaders would be pleased.

nope; the (cheese)cake is a lie

Mangr0v3
04-27-2010, 10:25 PM
http://www.rgbfilter.com/?p=4030

Another site that doesn't understand footnote references..

*facepalm*

boucer665
04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
im wondering if modernwarfare2 will come for mac and if i can use the PC-DVD disc to install instead of downloading the whole gigs to my mac

INFERNO2K
04-27-2010, 10:29 PM
im wondering if modernwarfare2 will come for mac and if i can use the PC-DVD disc to install instead of downloading the whole gigs to my mac

Infinity Ward + Wishful thinking = Not happening

Sambo110
04-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Wait, what news is there about the release date? c

boucer665
04-27-2010, 10:32 PM

:( well maybe who the heck knows

boucer665

release of what?

Hans_Sherman

Activision + Money = Probable (but not likely as Activision are lazy, with all their sequels). :P

istalir
I was being guarded, but now my hopes are sky-high! It really sounds like they could pull this off!!

Wishful thinking? Maybe. In any case, they'd be cutting it mighty close. But I'll keep dreaming, dammit, until 3:59AM on Saturday morning (Valve's midnight).

So your waiting until midnight on may first?

vtor67
04-27-2010, 10:33 PM

no official news, but the windows references were removed and copy/paste works with the command key now (before it used cntrl)

Sambo110
release of what?

Steam. On the last page it seems people were referring to it?

EDIT: Oh, cool, so they made it more "mac like" then? And right after I deleted the beta :\

istalir

None.

vtor67
04-27-2010, 10:34 PM

EDIT: Oh, cool, so they made it more "mac like" then? And right after I deleted the beta :\

go tell your friends to delete the beta quick; maybe we'll get more updates, or even a release!

boucer665
04-27-2010, 10:35 PM

oh cmon no one knows if we did, we wouldn't be stressin' out like we are, making random conversation

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 10:35 PM
None.

True, but news of fixed bugs indicates they're getting closer to an RC (release candidate) after which a release (usually) follows quickly (assuming no big bugs).

boucer665
04-27-2010, 10:36 PM
man... people. half a million views

ultramalakian
04-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Activision + Money = Probable (but not likely as Activision are lazy, with all their sequels). :P

Activison+Money-Infinity Ward DevTeam/2= Crappy games from now on.

slimjim8094
04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
The only holdup I was seeing to a release by Friday was the presence of some rather embarrassing bugs. They seem to be gone. Hence I'm hopeful.

vtor67
04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
man... people. half a million views

many popular tech blogs have directly linked to this thread (like TUAW, gizmodo, softpedia), i think that would explain it :)
and i think you mean quarter million, 1 mil / 4 = 250000 (close to 240000)

Sambo110
04-27-2010, 10:39 PM
When you go into preferences, and click verify email, does it still crash? That was a major bug for me.

boucer665
04-27-2010, 10:39 PM
many popular tech blogs have directly linked to this thread (like TUAW, gizmodo, softpedia), i think that would explain it :)
and i think you mean quarter million, 1 mil / 4 = 250000 (close to 240000)

haha yeah sorry i did mean that

gen.lee.13
04-27-2010, 10:40 PM
still, nothing to sneeze at....

vtor67
04-27-2010, 10:41 PM
When you go into preferences, and click verify email, does it still crash? That was a major bug for me.

unfortunately yes

Freeman0032
04-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Any new nes hows the beta going peoples!!!

slimjim8094
04-27-2010, 10:45 PM

Inquiring minds want to know. It was probably trying to ShellExecute() and they forgot to change it.

KrYpT
04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Or it could just be a typo in a vital command or function name which if it doesn't go through it would force itself to quit to prevent an infinite loop.

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Or it could just be a typo in a vital command or function name which if it doesn't go through it would force itself to quit to prevent an infinite loop.

Uh... typos in function names typically don't compile. Have you done much programming? ;)

EDIT: Assuming you're using good compiler settings.

Mangr0v3
04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Uh... typos in function names typically don't compile. Have you done much programming? ;)

Unless it's a runtime call. Objective-C can do wierd things, like add functions at runtime, or even swap two functions.

dethbunny
04-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Yeah, but ObjC doesn't generally fail in an ugly fashion if a message sent doesn't get responded to - the caller just receives a nil response. In other words, it can still cause adverse behavior, but it will generally not lead to an application crash. Not immediately, at least.

...and I'll revert from "programmer" to "Steam fanboy" now.

istalir
04-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah, but ObjC doesn't generally fail in an ugly fashion if a message sent doesn't get responded to - the caller just receives a nil response. In other words, it can still cause adverse behavior, but it will generally not lead to an application crash. Not immediately, at least.

...and I'll revert from "programmer" to "Steam Hammer Legion Member" now.

And I thought I was cool for knowing some basic and emacs I have no idea what you two were talking about.

vtor67
04-27-2010, 11:01 PM
If theres another update or 2 tomorrow I think its safe to say its nearing release.

Mangr0v3
04-27-2010, 11:03 PM
And I thought I was cool for knowing some basic and emacs I have no idea what you two were talking about.

*evil chuckle*

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 11:03 PM

I'll skip the "real programmers use emacs/vim/nano/butterflies" stuff, as tempted as I am...

KrYpT
04-27-2010, 11:07 PM

EDIT: Assuming you're using good compiler settings.

Yes I have in fact. I tend to have a few compiler errors now and then due to my system now being x86_64, so either I have to check if it has specific settings for Intel compiling or change the compiler flags to work. And even then, if I forget a flag or don't include one it needs, etc. I can still screw up my compile. I also haven't worked with C or any of it's variants *yet*. It'll probably be next year when I get to take that class and I sure as hell don't want to try tinkering with it. Learning a new language is hard enough as is, especially with something as close to machine code as C is.

EDIT: Hehehe...nano ^^

istalir
04-27-2010, 11:08 PM
I'll skip the "real programmers use emacs/vim/nano/butterflies" stuff, as tempted as I am...

For those that have no idea what he is talking about, (though I doubt there are many), here (http://xkcd.com/378/).

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Yes I have in fact. I tend to have a few compiler errors now and then due to my system now being x86_64, so either I have to check if it has specific settings for Intel compiling or change the compiler flags to work. And even then, if I forget a flag or don't include one it needs, etc. I can still screw up my compile. I also haven't worked with C or any of it's variants *yet*. It'll probably be next year when I get to take that class and I sure as hell don't want to try tinkering with it. Learning a new language is hard enough as is, especially with something as close to machine code as C is.

EDIT: Hehehe...nano ^^

Eh, the more you program, the easier new languages are to pick up. If you've seen some similar variants and understand the concepts, it's really just syntax. As for the issue in question, when using gcc, you can use "-Werror-implicit-function-declaration" to make sure that any implicit function declarations will result in the build failing. That should get most typos (unless you have two functions with very similar names).

vtor67
04-27-2010, 11:17 PM
sorry, but i wanna keep the thread on topic, thanks :)

M3dicineMan
04-27-2010, 11:17 PM
release of what?

Hilarious bouncer... +1rep

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 11:21 PM
sorry, but i wanna keep the thread on topic, thanks :)

Sorry, I get a bit carried away when things stray to programming... back to Steam Mac.

It seems that the email-crash is the nastiest bug outstanding. If they resolve that, it's only cosmetic issues, correct?

jeffster888
04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry, I get a bit carried away when things stray to programming... back to Steam Mac.

It seems that the email-crash is the nastiest bug outstanding. If they resolve that, it's only cosmetic issues, correct?

Yes, I presume it's only the previously non-existant bug with the broken stoplights :P.
Unless you're also supposed to get the icon of a non-steam game when you add it to your library, as it's only showing the generic white page icon.

slimjim8094
04-27-2010, 11:31 PM

If that. I'm not in the beta, nor do I have it anyway, but as I understand it even the cosmetic issues are mostly gone. (almost) Everybody who would be downloading the beta on, say, Friday will have already verified their email.

In other words, if it's not a trivial fix (typo or something) they can just gray it out and nobody will complain.

*crosses fingers*

FuzzyPuffin
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM

I think they are going to add an option to add an icon in the menu bar (to replace the notification tray icon), you can find resources for it in the app. And importing games does not import their icons (although I guess this could be considered a cosmetic issue.)

Unfortunately it looks like they are going to keep the horrible windows-style open dialog, given that they just fixed the ".exe" wording in it...but they *do* need to fix it so that it doesn't see invisible files!

boucer665
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Hilarious bouncer... +1rep

HAHAHAHA yeah

Fuzz Bucket
04-27-2010, 11:34 PM
I think they are going to add an option to add an icon in the menu bar (to replace the notification tray icon). And importing games does not import their icons (although I guess this could be considered a cosmetic issue.)

Unfortunately it looks like they are going to keep the horrible windows-style open dialog, given that they just fixed the ".exe" wording in it...but they *do* need to fix it so that it doesn't see invisible files!

One of my favorite things about the applications I use on OS X is the standardized file browser (Mini Finder?) :c

vtor67
04-27-2010, 11:38 PM
The traffic lights, the verify(change) email option, and the lack of icons for non-steam games are the only issues as of latest beta? thats all i can find

jeanlain
04-27-2010, 11:43 PM
The traffic lights, the verify(change) email option, and the lack of icons for non-steam games are the only issues as of latest beta? thats all i can find

The traffic lights is a regression actually. And they'd better change the way we browse files to add a non-stram games because it's f%cking tedious.

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 11:47 PM
The traffic lights is a regression actually. And they'd better change the way we browse files to add a non-stram games because it's f%cking tedious.

A standard file browsing dialog is pretty key, and should be rather trivial to implement from (the little) I understand of Apple's APIs. I guess there could be issues integrating it into the existing client? I can't imagine what could make it difficult. My guess is that they just have other priorities.

KrYpT
04-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Yeah, adding 3rd party games would no doubt be taking a back seat since most will be preoccupied with just testing out all the regular stuff.

FuzzyPuffin
04-27-2010, 11:51 PM
It would be nice if dragging and dropping a game onto the steam window automatically added it to your library. A lot less cumbersome than a file dialog, especially when you have 20 games to add.

KrYpT
04-27-2010, 11:53 PM
That'll probably be implemented after they have everything in order. Drag and drop isn't all to hard as far as I know.

ctta0s
04-27-2010, 11:54 PM
It would be nice if dragging and dropping a game onto the steam window automatically added it to your library. A lot less cumbersome than a file dialog, especially when you have 20 games to add.

Well, if they supported the standard dialog, that'd be a step closer (dropping a file on the standard file open dialog selects that file, of course).

Antti FINFL
04-27-2010, 11:55 PM
i remember that very very well... i also remember in a large article about it, with lots of screenshots and shots of models etc, there was a part about valve´s "pipe dream", which was Steam. i remember reading about the concept of it and thinking "yeah right, as if that´ll ever work!". now look where we are!
They probably talked about "PowerPlay" not "Steam". PowerPlay was technology which was supposed to reduce latencies in network games. That technology had to be built into games before hand for it to work. Also your router needed to support it and server had to be "PowerPlay" compatible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPlay_(technology)

Steam came totally out of the woods few years later. But before that it was all about PowerPlay...

...I first heard of Team Fortress 2: Brotherhood of Arms like 1999 E3 where they demoed all that cool stuff about game which looked at first like Starsiege: Tribes but with modern guns...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6d59xvzm30

That seriously looks bit like Tribes, M.A.G., and Battlefield 2. Front Line Forces was what people played when they waited for TF2 to appear. It sure took long time.

Antti FINFL
04-28-2010, 12:28 AM
They will be all native coded. That's what they said: no emulation for anyhting... 'til now...
Not even compatibility layers (aka. API translators) like Wine, Cedega or Cider. EA sucked the hard way when they started selling Windows stuff in Mac clothes.

tyluhhh
04-28-2010, 12:42 AM
god this thread is getting way too complicated for me, what happened to all the simpletons who are too impatient and just want steam to HURRYYYYYYYYYYY UUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

*cries*

SwisherPrime
04-28-2010, 12:45 AM
I concur. Less detail talk and more Bastille storming!

Not really, though. You guys are giving us awesome clues as to the release that we just want really effing badly.

jupe69
04-28-2010, 12:48 AM
"Goooood newwwwws everyone! I think i developed i client for mac, ready to come out in May!"

Ellis'91
04-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Anybody else noticed that http://www.steampowered.com/macbeta/welcome has been closed?
And there was an update for steam.app this morning? :o

Maybe we might just see that april launch :)

jupe69
04-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Anybody else noticed that http://www.steampowered.com/macbeta/welcome has been closed?
And there was an update for steam on mac this morning? :o

Maybe we might just see that april launch :)

This never existed.

http://store.steampowered.com/macbeta/welcome/

Ellis'91
04-28-2010, 12:54 AM
This never existed.

http://store.steampowered.com/macbeta/welcome/

AHHHH, Wrong URL

Now i feel like a tard

istalir
04-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Is Day of Defeat: Source coming to mac? (this is more than likely a stupid question, I just haven't seen any mention of it.)

natemckn
04-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Is Day of Defeat: Source coming to mac? (this is more than likely a stupid question, I just haven't seen any mention of it.)

It is not confirmed anywhere but it is quite probable considering every other source game is

istalir
04-28-2010, 01:00 AM
It is not confirmed anywhere but it is quite probable considering every other source game is

Hopefully, I've always had a thing for less appreciated titles. (woooo, post # 50)

Ellis'91
04-28-2010, 01:00 AM

I would be surprised if it did not.

jeanlain
04-28-2010, 01:24 AM
A standard file browsing dialog is pretty key, and should be rather trivial to implement from (the little) I understand of Apple's APIs. I guess there could be issues integrating it into the existing client? I can't imagine what could make it difficult. My guess is that they just have other priorities.
There's also this bug where the "Store" tab gets highlighted after loading the "News" page.

tyluhhh
04-28-2010, 01:55 AM
....stiiiiiiiiiilll refreshinggggggggg :,(

tyluhhh
04-28-2010, 01:56 AM
F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

...F5CK.

KrYpT
04-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Yeah, a lot of us are doing the same thing...

tyluhhh
04-28-2010, 02:01 AM
...i need to get my life back.

IDST
04-28-2010, 02:03 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/27/apple-seeds-mac-os-x-10-6-4-build-10f37-to-developers/

New OSX focuses on graphic drivers :)

Sambo110
04-28-2010, 02:05 AM
F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

...F5CK.

F5 doesn't refresh on a Mac though :\

And 10.6.4 focusing on graphics drivers is awesome, hopefully Apple take gaming more seriously now.

M3dicineMan
04-28-2010, 02:08 AM
F5 doesn't refresh on a Mac though :\

It seems to on mine.

Sambo110
04-28-2010, 02:15 AM
It seems to on mine.

You must have turned off the function keys then? Volume, brightness etc.

KrYpT
04-28-2010, 02:16 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/27/apple-seeds-mac-os-x-10-6-4-build-10f37-to-developers/

New OSX focuses on graphic drivers :)

Sweet

M3dicineMan
04-28-2010, 02:17 AM
You must have turned off the function keys then? Volume, brightness etc.

Nope, function keys work too.

Sambo110
04-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Nope, function keys work too.

How then? Command+R is the only thing that works for me.

rxn
04-28-2010, 02:23 AM

May be he ( I guess) customize the shortcut setting.

M3dicineMan
04-28-2010, 02:27 AM
May be he ( I guess) customize the shortcut setting.

It just works that way....I just tried it about a page ago. This is new (≈1wk old iMac w/ wireless keyboard). Maybe that has something to do with it.

Sambo110
04-28-2010, 02:29 AM
It just works that way....I just tried it about a page ago. This is new (≈1wk old iMac w/ wireless keyboard). Maybe that has something to do with it.

Oh, you're probably using Firefox or something?

M3dicineMan
04-28-2010, 02:32 AM
Oh, you're probably using Firefox or something?

Yeah, Firefox.

Mangr0v3
04-28-2010, 02:33 AM
Ah, I'm using Chrome, and the only thing which refreshes is Cmd+R

Woot 7800th post!

KrYpT
04-28-2010, 02:35 AM
Ah, I'm using Chrome, and the only thing which refreshes is Cmd+R

Woot 7800th post!

Same here and congrats.

rxn
04-28-2010, 02:38 AM
I feel sick when the New 2010 UI got a sub-forum, but we don't.
This topic is stink with so many sweating guys keep pressing the command+r (or F5).

Mangr0v3
04-28-2010, 02:42 AM
I asked BurtonJ, and he said there are currently no plans for a Mac subforum :(

huppel
04-28-2010, 03:52 AM
Yeah, Firefox.

Probably because the function buttons (keyboard light) won't work if you dont have keyboard light. So it just uses that key for another function then?

The steam beta was a LIE! :D

undefinedMethod
04-28-2010, 04:32 AM
OMFG FIRST POST I AM NOW ONLINE ON STEAM FOR MAC!!!

undefinedMethod
04-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Check your accounts ppl download the update!!

KrYpT
04-28-2010, 04:43 AM
....?

undefinedMethod
04-28-2010, 04:45 AM
My steam client now has no Closed Beta dropout notice and is fully browseable

Ohaim
04-28-2010, 04:47 AM
My steam client now has no Closed Beta dropout notice and is fully browseable

Are you high?
What are you talking about?

undefinedMethod
04-28-2010, 04:48 AM
I started up the steam client, it no longers boots me. Whats there not to get?

Thedutchjelle
04-28-2010, 04:49 AM
Yeah I would like to know what you're talking about as well. Both my Gmail and User account here have no message. And there's no news on this matter.

If steam does work, can you play games as well? Because steam without the games is rather...useless.

Sambo110
04-28-2010, 04:50 AM
Damn you, I actually got excited there :(

undefinedMethod
04-28-2010, 04:54 AM
Yeah I have no mail messages, I started it up, it download a 2meg update and let me in.

I click on the banner to download portal and it goes to the app directory then redirects, hopefully this will change soon.

I can assure you I have better things to do than make any of this up

Sambo110
04-28-2010, 04:59 AM
I could already do that without being in the beta, and it redirects when you click in Portal because you're not in the beta.

undefinedMethod
04-28-2010, 05:01 AM
I got a message saying the beta was closed and to log in with a beta authorised account, there was a tone and when clicked it killed steam, you did not get this?

olliesdad@gmail
04-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Does anyone know where Steam for Mac will download to and will this be redirectable to another directory/disk/filesystem or whatever ?

KrYpT
04-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Damn you, I actually got excited there :(

Me too.....

hippiejoe
04-28-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm confused is steam out for mac yet or not?

Sambo110
04-28-2010, 05:11 AM
I'm confused is steam out for mac yet or not?

No.

Rawr.

KrYpT
04-28-2010, 05:11 AM
It's not out yet.

hippiejoe
04-28-2010, 05:13 AM
No.

Rawr.

Thank you it's just some people were stating that they were online on the mac client. There was no mention of a closed beta in there post

jeanlain
04-28-2010, 05:41 AM
A note on the Steam file browser showing invisible files. Currently, it's the only way to switch between volumes, via the "/Volumes" folder at the root of the startup volume, which is not normally visible. That's because Steam ignores specificities of the OS X folder hierarchy. When opening parent folders, it cannot not go higher than the root of the Startup disk, but it should be able to show mounted volumes. So until Valve implements a standard OS X open dialogue, we're going to see invisible files.

hicough
04-28-2010, 05:58 AM
I started up the steam client, it no longers boots me. Whats there not to get?

I just tried it and it told me it's still closed beta D:

Which SUCKS coz I've been trying to get past ports and permissions issues to do this.

Mangr0v3
04-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Got a reply from the Softpedia editor, he's fixed up the article a bit.

nozz
04-28-2010, 06:40 AM
I'd like to create a skin for the Mac Steam, does anyone know how to activate the dev mode in the Mac beta client? There is nothing I could add -dev to :p

hachre
04-28-2010, 06:42 AM
I'd like to create a skin for the Mac Steam, does anyone know how to activate the dev mode in the Mac beta client? There is nothing I could add -dev to :p

Entering this into Terminal should work:
open /Applications/Steam.app --args -dev -console

istalir
04-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Need. steam. haven't. slept. since. march.

Mangr0v3
04-28-2010, 06:46 AM

captainjonald
04-28-2010, 06:48 AM

Presumably this will only work for confirmed beta testers?
I'd imagine the "log in with an enrolled account" dialogue box would open otherwise.

Mangr0v3
04-28-2010, 06:51 AM
You can use that to get around that, but I'm not going to discuss it here.

Doomer1
04-28-2010, 06:55 AM
So I guess now that I have had enough coffee to see the screen, that the downtime Valve posted was not them preparing to release the client....... 2 days......they have 2 days left to meet their goal.

istalir
04-28-2010, 06:58 AM
So I guess now that I have had enough coffee to see the screen, that the downtime Valve posted was not them preparing to release the client....... 2 days......they have 2 days left to meet their goal.

I'm shooting for Friday.

FroggySwede
04-28-2010, 06:58 AM
I'm shooting for Friday.
It's not your aim we're worried about... ;)

nozz
04-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Thank you guys, I can open the VGUI menu!

loveturtle
04-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Yes! at 11:59:59 PST on April 30th Valve will officially announce what we have all been waiting for!!

.....Confirmation that the client has been delayed two months! HAHA!

Charles
04-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Yes! at 11:59:59 PST on April 30th Valve will officially announce what we have all been waiting for!!

People still do this. Lame!

captainjonald
04-28-2010, 07:13 AM

"around 16:00 PDT (GMT-0700) on Wednesday April 28"
Currently 6:12am PDT, got another 10 hours until the scheduled downtime.
Not that it's likely to have anything to do with the Mac.

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
People still do this. Lame!

I can understand maybe an occasional joke like this but this thread is being somewhat regarded as the premiere source for Steam: Mac and Source: Mac by this community as well as the internet abroad, so we should take this thread somewhat seriously.

Not saying we can't have fun, but there are other ways we can have fun.

Charles
04-28-2010, 07:19 AM
I can understand maybe an occasional joke like this but this thread is being somewhat regarded as the premiere source for Steam: Mac and Source: Mac by this community as well as the internet abroad, so we should take this thread somewhat seriously.

Not saying we can't have fun, but there are other ways we can have fun.

^^^What he said^^^. Well put

heartsblood
04-28-2010, 07:21 AM

Actually it doesn't look like this is far from the truth. It seems a few new people got closed beta invites this morning on twitter so I don't think valve is planning on wrapping things up, just ramping up the closed beta testing.

Edit: Still didn't get an invite :(

Grom_Reaper
04-28-2010, 07:26 AM
While I still get locked out of the client, you're allowed to create a new account, and upon completion are greeted with this (http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/674/newaccount.jpg) holdover from Windows

brosalad
Neither did I.
I think a full release of the client will happen in the first week of May.
That seems to be the most likely scenario.

brosalad
I am also locked out of said client.
DAMN YOU VALVE

birvin
Any updates on when its gonna be released. Allready had to scare a moderator off from pming me.:)

Doomer1
04-28-2010, 07:29 AM
While I still get locked out of the client, you're allowed to create a new account, and upon completion are greeted with this (http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/674/newaccount.jpg) holdover from Windows

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! If they dont remove it I simply cannot wait for all the posts....."Where is the $%#^&@%#$@ clock in the lower right!!!!"

FroggySwede
04-28-2010, 07:29 AM
It seems a few new people got closed beta invites this morning on twitter
Wonder why they'd be inviting new people at this point...

Aivskar
04-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Let's just hope they're lying. :)

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Wonder why they'd be inviting new people at this point...

Maybe it's a ruse?

Call me Pollyanna, but I also believe this could just be a ruse to throw us off too. After all, this is the most hyped thing Valve-related right now.

It's like "let's put more people in beta, then we'll throw a Friday release".

I don't have any source for this, I am merely speculating. Regardless, I think it's an interesting development.

And well said Aivskar. There's a chance some people on Twitter could also be lying.

leveller
04-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Adding my post to this thread so I get to see latest posts and updates.

NerVT0xiN
04-28-2010, 07:38 AM
And well said Aivskar. There's a chance some people on Twitter could also be lying.

Or really late. For some reason, people on Twitter love to repost things that were posted weeks or months ago.

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Or really late. For some reason, people on Twitter love to repost things that were posted weeks or months ago.

That too. I don't use Twitter that much but it seems some people like to do that.

captainjonald
04-28-2010, 07:43 AM

This.
I'll wait to see if more people have joined the beta by waiting for someone to post on here (preferably with some new, credible info) that the beta pool has grown.
Seeing as this thread is where all the info seems to originate and all.

birvin
04-28-2010, 07:43 AM
so we think this friday?

Lil off topic but has anyone ever seen Battle Field 2 released for the mac?

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 07:45 AM
so we think this friday?

EDIT:
Some of us think so. It's entirely speculative at this point.

captainjonald
04-28-2010, 07:50 AM
so we think this friday?

Lil off topic but has anyone ever seen Battle Field 2 released for the mac?

Currently we know nothing. Waiting for something from Valve, all we 'know' so far is April, as stated in the original announcement. Won't know if that's true or not until it's either released, Valve officially delays it, or it becomes May.

I believe there's a Cider/Crossover port of Battlefield 2, but so far, AFAIK, no native game through Valve.

NerVT0xiN
04-28-2010, 07:51 AM
I think that they may be waiting till the last second of April on purpose. I read a post yesterday that they did a Hardware survey of the Mac users.
doubt it's related, although they did have a hardware survey today for the mac beta. *shrugs* This may have been done to eliminate them from the Steam Hardware survey for the month of April. While this is speculative, it does make sense in a situation where "the industry is watching" in order to find out exactly what kind of a percentage of users would be using Macs to access Steam.

Aivskar
04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Dice said they're investigating the possibility of Bad Company 2 for the Mac. That would be pretty sweet. :)

jeanlain
04-28-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm pretty sure we won't hear about a release date before everything is completely ready at Valve. Valve won't put themselves under pressure in order to meet a deadline. I'm sure the 26th was announced after they finished testing the RC of the new UI, when they decided it was ready to roll.

The Mac client still has bugs, I can tell you, and we don't even know about the games. So don't expect to hear anything about an official release date for now. It will be announced a few days to a week in advance, if it's announced at all.
They thought they could make it by April, and they will probably fail. They won't give another date except perhaps "May".

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Currently we know nothing. Waiting for something from Valve, all we 'know' so far is April, as stated in the original announcement. Won't know if that's true or not until it's either released, Valve officially delays it, or it becomes May.

I believe there's a Cider/Crossover port of Battlefield 2, but so far, AFAIK, no native game through Valve.

Well said, CaptainJonald

All we can do is speculate...

I wish we had something tangible from Valve... we're getting down to the wire here.

istalir
04-28-2010, 08:07 AM

old news.

FroggySwede
04-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Valve won't put themselves under pressure in order to meet a deadline.
Sure they will.
Steam and Valve's library of games including Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half-Life series will be available in April.
See?

estrides
04-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Will the MBP be suppported.

I'm sure this was asked. But searching didnt help.

I Have a 2010 MBP with the 512Mb 9600 and the integrated 256mb 9400.
Dual Core 2.6 ghz.
4gb of ram.

The specs are all there. but i know that the MBP decides to hate on games even if they are made for mac in the first place.

istalir
04-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Will the MBP be suppported.

I'm sure this was asked. But searching didnt help.

I Have a 2010 MBP with the 512Mb 9600 and the integrated 256mb 9400.
Dual Core 2.6 ghz.
4gb of ram.

The specs are all there. but i know that the MBP decides to hate on games even if they are made for mac in the first place.

Why wouldn't it be? All other macs are (as long as they don't have the GMA graphics cards). Edit: Also the 9400 isn't an integrated card. (guess I was wrong)

captainjonald
04-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Why wouldn't it be? All other macs are (as long as they don't have the GMA graphics cards). Edit: Also the 9400 isn't an integrated card.

But 9400M is.

istalir
04-28-2010, 08:28 AM
But 9400M is.

I was under the impression that it wasn't, because they didn't have to replace the logic/motherboard to fix it in my MB. and because it was able to run HL2 ans portal with minimal loss of frame rate. Edit: huh guess me and my dad were wrong, well then it is very good for an integrated card.

KaosAngel
04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Who wants to place bets on what comes first?

SC2 Mac Beta
Steam for Mac

...so far it's neck and neck. Both are due out very soon, and promises will be broken or kept!

2befine
04-28-2010, 08:52 AM

SC2 Mac Beta
Steam for Mac

...so far it's neck and neck. Both are due out very soon, and promises will be broken or kept!

Steam 4 Mac.

Pattn
04-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Steam 4 Mac *hope*

jeanlain
04-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Sure they will.

See?

"April" is vague, so they can get away with not meeting the deadline (sort of). I don't think they'll announce the exact release date before everything is finished.

RepomanUK
04-28-2010, 09:04 AM
"April" is vague, so they can get away with not meeting the deadline (sort of). I don't think they'll announce the exact release date before everything is finished.

I don't think they'll even bother announcing a release date. There are enough people monitoring the situation that I expect they'll release the client quietly and watch the twitterbooks go nuts.

Nice bit of PR in a way.

vicegold
there are still some things to do, hard to believe that 2 days would be enough.

Fixing the "Windows taskbar image"
Fixing the .exe filedialog
Support Skins
Fix Gameicons
Fix category-view

Have I forgotten anything?

FroggySwede
Sorry, I disagree. "April" isn't vague at all -- it means "sometime between April 1st and April 30th." If they release in May, they've missed the deadline they set for themselves. I agree that they probably won't announce an exact release date, but with only 2 days left in April, what would be the point? ;)

NerVT0xiN
04-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Support Skins
Fix Gameicons
Fix category-view

Two days isn't enough to change some pictures and text? :rolleyes:

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 09:09 AM

If you REALLY put your mind to it, aside skins, it should be able to be done in 1-2 days max.

Also, random things keep appearing/disappearing upon refreshing Steam's front page.

vicegold
04-28-2010, 09:09 AM

It is, but to fully support skins? don't know..

captainjonald
04-28-2010, 09:10 AM
A user on Twitter says he got an email from Valve last night saying he's in the beta.
So he's not behind on his information, looks like more people are slowly joining.

FroggySwede
04-28-2010, 09:10 AM
I am a spammer.
Reported. EDIT: Oh, I see you've been banned already.

Aivskar
04-28-2010, 09:12 AM
We'll see what today brings. The workday has just begun for them, I would think.

RepomanUK
It is, but to fully support skins? don't know..

With all due respect - f*ck skins - I can wait for an update for that!

TheKraigose

Same. Besides, the default skin has always done it for me.

FuzzyPuffin
04-28-2010, 09:13 AM

SC2 Mac Beta
Steam for Mac

SC2, definitely.

FroggySwede
04-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Yup. Skins would make a nice update, but they're not necessary in the initial release. Nor, really, are absolutely 100% correct text and images in the dialogues -- as long as the underlying functionality is correct.

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Yup. Skins would make a nice update, but they're not necessary in the initial release. Nor, really, are absolutely 100% correct text and images in the dialogues -- as long as the underlying functionality is correct.

I still think the initial release will be a beta release, and that isn't bad. So I expect some graphical/textual mistakes. As long as the functionality works on the games and Steam itself, it'll be okay for me :)

RepomanUK
04-28-2010, 09:17 AM
I still think the initial release will be a beta release, and that isn't bad. So I expect some graphical/textual mistakes. As long as the functionality works on the games and Steam itself, it'll be okay for me :)

As long as it's a much more open beta - fine. Let's face it - although we have had many comments along the lines of 'Valve' will release it when it's ready and not before', they release code that they fix/refine all the time.

BothBarsOn
04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Wow, the Banhammer drops so quickly here. Nice to see.

NerVT0xiN

I think if that were the case, it would be in Open Beta testing already. Again as I said before, text and images are a pretty quick fix. I think the issue preventing release is elsewhere, perhaps what I said earlier today about wanting accurate statistics?

TheKraigose
As long as it's a much more open beta - fine. Let's face it - although we have had many comments along the lines of 'Valve' will release it when it's ready and not before', they release code that they fix/refine all the time.

Yes, I agree. The current beta's not exactly pleasing, I wish they'd make it more open/public.

I think if that were the case, it would be in Open Beta testing already. Again as I said before, text and images are a pretty quick fix. I think the issue preventing release is elsewhere, perhaps what I said earlier today about wanting accurate statistics?

Maybe they're being gimmicky and want to wait until April 30th at 11:59PM PST? I mean, this is pretty big so maybe it's symbolic of them meeting the deadline if this theory is correct.

Deimos-Megadeth
04-28-2010, 09:19 AM
2 days left until Aprils over.....Im losing my optimism....:(

RepomanUK
04-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Yes, I agree. The current beta's not exactly pleasing, I wish they'd make it more open/public.

I'm still firmly convinced that what is being tested here is Steam and not Source, so I'm still hopeful of it launching in the very near future. Maybe not until early March - but I seriously doubt a major slippage

mefi
04-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Sorry, I disagree. "April" isn't vague at all -- it means "sometime between April 1st and April 30th." If they release in May, they've missed the deadline they set for themselves. I agree that they probably won't announce an exact release date, but with only 2 days left in April, what would be the point? ;)
Agree.
Saying "I'll come on Tuesday" is not including "But maybe I'll show up on Wednesday".. If they wanted to be vague, which would've been understandable - they should have said "In about a month's time" or something..

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm still firmly convinced that what is being tested here is Steam and not Source, so I'm still hopeful of it launching in the very near future. Maybe not until early March - but I seriously doubt a major slippage

Don't you mean May? :o

But if you mean May, I would agree. I think the Source: OpenGL modes are pretty stable. Just changing the API - probably they've been working on that for a while now.

Also, the Steam Front page is stable again.

RepomanUK
04-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Don't you mean May? :o

But if you mean May, I would agree. I think the Source: OpenGL modes are pretty stable. Just changing the API - probably they've been working on that for a while now.

Yep - sorry, my mistake.

That's my theory. The Mac integration of Valve's programming tools happened before Newell made the announcement in March. Which would make the games good to go already.

ultramalakian
04-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Yep, I'm trying the Beta (God, I'm tired of that word) for CrossOver 9.0, and though it can run the new UI (Not very good, also) it won't let me play L4D2 (Crashing, crasing...)
So, even an Ugly, graphically inconsistent, but OFFICIAL and OPEN Steam Beta, would be great.

vtor67
04-28-2010, 09:26 AM

thats been fixed already

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Yep - sorry, my mistake.

That's my theory. The Mac integration of Valve's programming tools happened before Newell made the announcement in March. Which would make the games good to go already.

They did say porting Steam to Mac was the bigger of the two evils, or at least implied it.

And I admit, from a programming standpoint this may be true. Steam on Windows I assume uses C++, while Most GUI work is done in Cocoa and Objective-C on Mac. Porting that might require some finess.

Yep, I'm trying the Beta (God, I'm tired of that word) for CrossOver 9.0, and though it can run the new UI (Not very good, also) it won't let me play L4D2 (Crashing, crasing...)
So, even an Ugly, graphically inconsistent, but OFFICIAL and OPEN Steam Beta, would be great.

Oh yes. I hate CrossOver so much. On both my iMac and my MacBook CrossOver stinks on ice. :(

Plus the idea of taking Wine and giving it a fancy name and interface and selling it... doesn't bode well with me.

I feel Native Mac Steam will solve all our issues. I just hope we get it soon because as patient as I'm trying to be, let's admit, we're all restless :<

NerVT0xiN
04-28-2010, 09:30 AM
The Mac integration of Valve's programming tools happened before Newell made the announcement in March. Which would make the games good to go already.

This would seem consistent with their Steamworks page that was up ~a month ago now.
"Steam and Steamworks are available for the Mac."
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/ov_mac.php

RepomanUK
04-28-2010, 09:30 AM
They did say porting Steam to Mac was the bigger of the two evils, or at least implied it.

And I admit, from a programming standpoint this may be true. Steam on Windows I assume uses C++, while Most GUI work is done in Cocoa and Objective-C on Mac. Porting that might require some finess.

Very true - but if you re-read the press release, they have one of the dev's talking about how any code being checked into the Source games now automatically produces both Windows and OS X binaries. Which I take to mean is already happening now. It suggests to me that the Source integration is done and all we have left is messing around with a glorified web front end.

AlligatorBloodz
04-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Not exactly a reliable source, but if you search on twitter, some people are still being accepted in to the beta. As late as last night...http://twitter.com/Skarin/status/13008392888

Optimism is packing its bags.

vicegold
04-28-2010, 09:31 AM
thats been fixed already
Oh sorry,

In version 1272405819 it's not.

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 09:33 AM
This would seem consistent with their Steamworks page that was up ~a month ago now.
"Steam and Steamworks are available for the Mac."
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/ov_mac.php

They even said SteamWorks and Source is available to license holders for Mac and Windows now, IIRC.

Very true - but if you re-read the press release, they have one of the dev's talking about how any code being checked into the Source games now automatically produces both Windows and OS X binaries. Which I take to mean is already happening now. It suggests to me that the Source integration is done and all we have left is messing around with a glorified web front end.

So that means that Source games are Mac and Windows compliant, we just need this one tiny, but vital, piece of the puzzle. That piece is Steam: Mac.

captainjonald
04-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Oh sorry,

That's the version I've got, apparently it's not the latest version, even though the Updater tells me my Steam client is up-to-date.
Maybe only official beta testers get every update? Who knows.

ultramalakian
04-28-2010, 09:36 AM
I feel Native Mac Steam will solve all our issues. I just hope we get it soon because as patient as I'm trying to be, let's admit, we're all restless :<

Restless? Two nights ago I dreamed with it. Kinda point out how really ♥♥♥♥ed up is my mind already.

And the fact that they are apparently still sending Beta invites, can't be good at all for what's left of my mental sanity.

:eek:

RepomanUK
04-28-2010, 09:38 AM
So that means that Source games are Mac and Windows compliant, we just need this one tiny, but vital, piece of the puzzle. That piece is Steam: Mac.

That's honestly what I think.

Now I could be wrong, but if they need testing, why do the beta guys only have access to Portal? If say, the Mac version of HL2 is still buggy, why are they not getting that too?

It either implies a painfully long Beta program with individual games being tested one by one, or the possibility that it's not the games that are being Beta tested.

It's Steam I'm almost sure, and now that the rendering engine has been switched to Webkit, there should be a lot of shared code between the Windows and OS X clients. Perhaps they had the Steam dev's working all out to get the Windows version of the new client out on Monday, and now they have delivered on that front, the team is working on the Mac client.

Still - just a theory

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Restless? Two nights ago I dreamed with it. Kinda point out how really ♥♥♥♥ed up is my mind already.

And the fact that they are apparently still sending Beta invites, can't be good at all for what's left of my mental sanity.

:eek:

I know the feeling. I come home from work hoping Steam: Mac is out so I can enjoy my free time playing TF2 without bootcamping it.

That's why I'm hopeful. High demand, pressure, and a deadline of April (Valve Time? Yeah, but they did say April, that's pretty broad anyway).

The fact they're accepting more people into the beta might be a ruse. Again, might.

Now I could be wrong, but if they need testing, why do the beta guys only have access to Portal? If say, the Mac version of HL2 is still buggy, why are they not getting that too?

It either implies a painfully long Beta program with individual games being tested one by one, or the possibility that it's not the games that are being Beta tested.

It's Steam I'm almost sure, and now that the rendering engine has been switched to Webkit, there should be a lot of shared code between the Windows and OS X clients. Perhaps they had the Steam dev's working all out to get the Windows version of the new client out on Monday, and now they have delivered on that fron, the team is working on the Mac client.

Still - just a theory

I'm pretty sure your theory, while a theory, is probably the scenario we are facing.

vtor67
04-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Oh sorry,

are oyu sure? i have the same build and it doesnt show the .exe ending.

ultramalakian
04-28-2010, 09:42 AM

It's Steam I'm almost sure, and now that the rendering engine has been switched to Webkit, there should be a lot of shared code between the Windows and OS X clients. Perhaps they had the Steam dev's working all out to get the Windows version of the new client out on Monday, and now they have delivered on that front, the team is working on the Mac client.

Still - just a theory

Yep, that's the most probable situation right now.

FuzzyPuffin
04-28-2010, 09:43 AM
thats been fixed already
Not everywhere, it still appears in the dialog to choose an app icon (which still doesn't work.)

captainjonald
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
By the way, figured I should point this out.
If you have an app on your desktop that you added to Steam through the Add a Non-Steam Game dialogue, DON'T try to make a Desktop Shortcut for it.

Had a Cider port of CS:S, wondered what would happen if I made a shortcut. What it did was turn my 7GB+ CS:S app into a ~300kb shortcut, completely overwriting the original app.

Thank God for Time Machine.

ultramalakian
04-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Had a Cider port of CS:S, wondered what would happen if I made a shortcut. What it did was turn my 7GB+ CS:S app into a ~300kb shortcut, completely overwriting the original app.

I think we shouldn't be discussing about Cider ports righhhht... here...
(Still, interesting advice for anything else)

RepomanUK
04-28-2010, 09:57 AM
I think we shouldn't be discussing about Cider ports righhhht... here...
(Still, interesting advice for anything else)

God - I wish we didn't have to discuss them at all.

Hopefully Valve coming to Mac will open the floodgates for more natively coded games.

Fuzz Bucket
04-28-2010, 09:59 AM
I could honestly care less about skin support. I'd rather it just look like a native interface. If it is a must, Adium pulls of UI customization rather well, for example.

gr33nie
04-28-2010, 09:59 AM

Support Skins
Fix Gameicons
Fix category-view

The weird dock icon resizing bugs me a little. It's fine when you're logged in an it's the small size version, but the logged out one looks too big compared to other dock icons in my opinion.

submachine_luke
04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
All you people moaning you haven't got Steam yet... spare a thought for lil' ol' me rocking the GMA 950 and not having a cat in Hell's chance of affording an i7 MacBook Pro as I'm a student :P

Even if my "card" is supported, it'll be Portal with Low settings @ ~15fps :(

Seph64
04-28-2010, 10:08 AM
All you people moaning you haven't got Steam yet... spare a thought for lil' ol' me rocking the GMA 950 and not having a cat in Hell's chance of affording an i7 MacBook Pro as I'm a student :P

Why not go for something cheaper?

A regular MacBook should be able to play Source games. ;)

Heck, maybe even a Mac Mini?

Don't apple give student discounts?

RepomanUK
04-28-2010, 10:09 AM

Yep - verily doth the GMA950 sucketh

jeanlain
04-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Support Skins
Fix Gameicons
Fix category-view

The "Store" button being highlighted after loading the "News" page.
The "change contact email address" button crashing the client (in my account at least)
The fact that you can close the "settings" window while the "select sound input" dialog is open. This causes a bug. In general, they can't figure when a window should be active or inactive.
The crappy dock icon in offline mode.
The traffic light widgets do not display properly.
Some exposé weirdness when a drop down menu is open.
Titles overlapping with traffic lights in some windows (windows should be larger).

EDIT: all should be very easy to fix, except perhaps the crash.

Pattn
04-28-2010, 10:18 AM
The "change contact email address" button crashing the client (in my account at least)

On my Version, its the -verify-button!
Is it the same? Too lazy to look ;D

Sry 4 the bad English,
greets from Ger :P

captainjonald
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM

Sry 4 the bad English,

I believe if the contact email has been confirmed, the verify button will change to "change contact email address'

Pattn
04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Okay, this makes sense :)

FuzzyPuffin
04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
In general, they can't figure when a window should be active or inactive.

Yeah, windows in steam right now are kind of a mess. It's like they hacked them together, trying to make them themselves without using the OS. Stoplight buttons don't obey your color settings, and they also appear on dialogs where they shouldn't. The OK/Cancel buttons also do not follow OS X convention--the positions need to be reversed.

jeanlain
04-28-2010, 10:26 AM

Sry 4 the bad English,
No it's different but both crash the client actually. Something wrong with the email apparently.

jeanlain
04-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah, windows in steam right now are kind of a mess. It's like they hacked them together, trying to make them themselves without using the OS. Stoplight buttons don't obey your color settings, and they also appear on dialogs where they shouldn't. The OK/Cancel buttons also do not follow OS X convention--the positions need to be reversed.
Yeah, and in many windows there is no default button while one should be activated when hitting enter.
Apple-w is ineffective.
All this shouldn't be a problem had they used Cocoa.

2befine
04-28-2010, 10:28 AM
what is that http://cl.ly/hXq ? Steam deleted/Process ForceQuited.
any idea where's it come from?

finchy86
04-28-2010, 10:38 AM
So it appears from what I've read several of those who don't have the beta have been able to install steam on their mac...how is this possible?

arwen
04-28-2010, 10:40 AM
They have the Steam installation/application DMG file for the beta but their accounts aren't enrolled to the actual beta program. Therefore, they can install the software but cannot use it save perhaps browsing the application menus.

FroggySwede
what is that http://cl.ly/hXq ? Steam deleted/Process ForceQuited.
any idea where's it come from?
It's part of Steam.app. After you delete the app, your system keeps trying to restart the process until you reboot your computer.

TheKraigose
So it appears from what I've read several of those who don't have the beta have been able to install steam on their mac...how is this possible?

They can install it, they just can't log in unless their account is beta-enabled. Even if they're beta-enabled, the amount of games is very limited.

finchy86
04-28-2010, 10:49 AM
so how would one find this steam.app...even if they aren't in the beta?

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 10:50 AM

I'm afraid none of us can really answer that without jeopardizing this thread.

finchy86
04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm afraid none of us can really answer that without jeopardizing this thread.

ok, I wasn't sure and I'm new to the forums so I'll just patiently refresh this thread once a minute...until I find out that steam mac is released!

mefi
04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Think hard..

Anson225
04-28-2010, 10:54 AM
another roll of beta being sent out
so i guess no april release!

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
another roll of beta being sent out
so i guess no april release!

Source if you have it?

2befine
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
It's part of Steam.app. After you delete the app, your system keeps trying to restart the process until you reboot your computer.

Problem is I'm already rebooted my Mac but this message still "spaming"

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Problem is I'm already rebooted my Mac but this message still "spaming"

Did you try empyting the Trash Can? Sometimes files do that if they're not deleted-deleted.

I noticed that happened to me once (with a different program).

finchy86
04-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure if the beta has been opened to more people because as it says on http://store.steampowered.com/macbeta they will let everyone know

TheKraigose
04-28-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure if the beta has been opened to more people because as it says on http://store.steampowered.com/macbeta they will let everyone know

Huh, I never thought of it that way :o

FuzzyPuffin
04-28-2010, 11:02 AM

I think that means if they open the beta up to more than those who had already applied, they would let everyone know. Most people who already applied did not get in.

Aivskar
04-28-2010, 11:03 AM
I think that means if they open the beta up to more than those who had already applied, they would let everyone know. Most people who already applied did not get in.

Nownow, stop crushing our hopes. ;p

2befine
04-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Did you try empyting the Trash Can? Sometimes files do that if they're not deleted-deleted.

I noticed that happened to me once (with a different program).

Yah, what I did
1. Del Steam.app and library/application support/steam
2. Force Quit Steam/ipcserver
3. Empty Trash
4 Reboot.

finchy86
04-28-2010, 11:06 AM

But it says "If we open the beta to a larger audience" it doesn't say "If we open the beta signup or application to a larger audience"

so I'll keep my hopes high? haha not really but a good point FuzzyPuffin

FroggySwede
04-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Yah, what I did
1. Del Steam.app and library/application support/steam
2. Force Quit Steam/ipcserver
3. Empty Trash
4 Reboot.
Delete ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool.plist and reboot again.

... a little bird told me ...

Fuzz Bucket
04-28-2010, 11:12 AM
What is in the sender column for the messages? That is the process you need to look at.

2befine
04-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Delete ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool.plist and reboot again.

... a little bird told me ...

Thanks m8!

MF_Kitten
04-28-2010, 11:15 AM
the "open to a wider audience" message tells me they´re not waiting for a complete version of the steam client before they´ll release it, they´re just waiting for it to be stable enough to use. in other words, they might make it a public beta version soon.

finchy86
04-28-2010, 11:21 AM
public beta would be awesome!