PDA

View Full Version : NTW vs ETW with DarthMod

LA Snow
03-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Am still debating on whether or not to get this game. I'd like some comparison from some people that have played NTW and also have played a big mod for ETW like Darthmod.

Note that I don't want to hear about NTW vs vanilla ETW. I haven't played vanilla ETW in a long time and never really did. I know vanilla ETW leaves a lot to be desired, which is why I play it modded.

So, is this game worth the buy if I have ETW with Darthmod?

lawsie69
03-11-2010, 05:35 AM
the smoke effects are much better in ntw, in fact so much better that they actually fill your screen. The general graphics are better as well, it is better than etw with darth mod thats for sure.

LA Snow
03-11-2010, 12:03 PM
the smoke effects are much better in ntw, in fact so much better that they actually fill your screen. The general graphics are better as well, it is better than etw with darth mod thats for sure.

For any other reason besides graphics and smoke?

Draksen
03-12-2010, 10:37 AM
In my opinion NTW is much more fluid and fun to play, especially the battles.
They "feel" better, cant really explain why.
And the strategic map is better too, but smaller, shorter.

LA Snow
03-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Ok, so far we got better looking smoke, and it "feels better but i don't know why". Anyone else have solid reasons why NTW is better than ETW and a good mod?

Draksen
03-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I see one more: It's Napoléon... ;)

Vive l'Empereur et Vive la France!
(THE reason for me héhé)

Gosko
03-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Ok, so far we got better looking smoke, and it "feels better but i don't know why". Anyone else have solid reasons why NTW is better than ETW and a good mod?

Because you don't need a mod to run the game. All the battles are a lot better and a lot harder also which makes the game a whole lot more fun because when you win a battle you get sense of accomplishment. Diplomacy is also a lot better in this game, you can get countries to break alliances, join wars, break trade agreements and they also don't ask you every turn for Military Access. Also if you are like me and love seeing Minor Nations grow and become powerful you may like the liberation feature :)

Just naming a few things, game is defiantly worth $40

LA Snow
03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Because you don't need a mod to run the game. All the battles are a lot better and a lot harder also which makes the game a whole lot more fun because when you win a battle you get sense of accomplishment. Diplomacy is also a lot better in this game, you can get countries to break alliances, join wars, break trade agreements and they also don't ask you every turn for Military Access. Also if you are like me and love seeing Minor Nations grow and become powerful you may like the liberation feature :)

Just naming a few things, game is defiantly worth $40

How's the grand campaign? Diplomacy, trade, etc.? That's one of my favorite parts.

lawsie69
03-12-2010, 06:58 PM
there are no trade routes as was in etw, sea routes i mean. Diplomacy as mentioned is better, the campaign is played only across europe this time around and sea battles and the need to have a navy are virtually non existent. The game Is better though, although i question the full price tag as its not as big in scale or options as etw.

LA Snow
03-12-2010, 07:13 PM
there are no trade routes as was in etw, sea routes i mean. Diplomacy as mentioned is better, the campaign is played only across europe this time around and sea battles and the need to have a navy are virtually non existent. The game Is better though, although i question the full price tag as its not as big in scale or options as etw.

I was thinkin this was maybe worth about $30 or so since it got cut down so much. Just better graphics and "smoother" battles, but mods took care of the AI issues with ETW. $40 seems a little up there for basically no trade between nations and no sea battles.

How about upgrades to territories etc.? That still in there?

lawsie69
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM
no cities grow, you can upgrade buildings in territories as normal though.

Draksen
03-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I agree, it perhaps lacks the trade routes...
but I dont miss them because:
You can play 60+ turns of NTW it's still fluid and you have no CTD.
After 20+ turns of ETW your campaign save file is already most probably corrupted and if it isnt yet, the game becomes laggy and your chances to get a CTD are already higher than 50%...
In one word: ETW is so bugged that good mod or not, it IS NOT worth playing.

Gosko
03-13-2010, 01:49 PM

There are still places where you can put trade boats and that trades with the Americas. You can also raid land trade routes, not sure if that was in ETW but I never noticed. The campaign may only be on Europe but they broke it down into a lot smaller peices. Like in ETW France was just one big area and the capital was Paris. Now it is like 3-4 different areas all within France. Having a navy depends on where who you play as. You play as Russia well of course you don't need a navy and you didn't need one in ETW either, but if you play as Britain you need a good navy so France or Spain doesn't invade you home regions, they tried that several times on me :p

Mr.Ceefus
03-13-2010, 09:42 PM
i'd post some positive things about ntw but i'm afraid the op would just try to counter it with some unfounded negative reply.

LA Snow
03-13-2010, 09:52 PM
i'd post some positive things about ntw but i'm afraid the op would just try to counter it with some unfounded negative reply.

Well you get your wish. I'll post something to this reply you did which absolutely adds no substance to the discussion whatsoever. You post about how you're not going to post. That's idiotic.

Besides, to the other people I wasn't being negative, but I need hard core gameplay mechanics or other features to go on. Things like the "box art" the "install screen" and "it just feels better and i don't know why" do not really help a lot.

Neverpleased
03-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Well I bought the game and unlike some people I don't care if I can convince the OP because he gets to either play the game or lose out.

Basically the whole Total War has been revamped. AI is still pathetic though but when has it not been in any game ever? But otherwise your actions now matter. 1 Infantry unit exchanging fire with 3 others will be decimated before you can say Peanut Butter Jelly! so it is important to constantly move, reinforce engage and manoeuvre on the battle field, especially since all the artillery is now manoeuvrable and every army has some.

So battles are up, graphics are up and there ARE Sea trade routes you numskulls you need merchant fleets parked on the trade nodes and you get sea routes or you need to trade with another faction that does not connect to your land masses.

But the biggest improvement of them all is Diplomacy. After Crushing the Russian armies ironically and completely coincidently near Austerlitz I made up a treaty for peace detailing they stop trading with Britain and it's remaining Ottoman and Swedish Allies, sign over Poland to me so I could declare it's independence and open their markets to my Protectorates.

It feels great to be able to finally make detailed treaties and really force the enemy to do what you want.

Of course there is COOP and MP but that is full of connection issues and doesn't warrant a mention other than that it rivals MW2's horrid matchmaking system. Still waiting on that patch CA!

Besides you can get it for 30$ at amazon, e-bay or any online store.

So go get it you'll be happy you did (if your a Total War fan/enthusiast).

LA Snow
03-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Well I bought the game and unlike some people I don't care if I can convince the OP because he gets to either play the game or lose out.

Basically the whole Total War has been revamped. AI is still pathetic though but when has it not been in any game ever? But otherwise your actions now matter. 1 Infantry unit exchanging fire with 3 others will be decimated before you can say Peanut Butter Jelly! so it is important to constantly move, reinforce engage and manoeuvre on the battle field, especially since all the artillery is now manoeuvrable and every army has some.

So battles are up, graphics are up and there ARE Sea trade routes you numskulls you need merchant fleets parked on the trade nodes and you get sea routes or you need to trade with another faction that does not connect to your land masses.

But the biggest improvement of them all is Diplomacy. After Crushing the Russian armies ironically and completely coincidently near Austerlitz I made up a treaty for peace detailing they stop trading with Britain and it's remaining Ottoman and Swedish Allies, sign over Poland to me so I could declare it's independence and open their markets to my Protectorates.

It feels great to be able to finally make detailed treaties and really force the enemy to do what you want.

Of course there is COOP and MP but that is full of connection issues and doesn't warrant a mention other than that it rivals MW2's horrid matchmaking system. Still waiting on that patch CA!

Besides you can get it for 30$ at amazon, e-bay or any online store.

So go get it you'll be happy you did (if your a Total War fan/enthusiast).

Finally, some substance. Thank god.

Did not know I could get it for $30. Good to know. Is it a Steamworks title like ETW was?

LA Snow
03-14-2010, 01:19 AM
I should have found this sooner. The creator of the DarthMods for the TW games gave a comprehensive review on his view of NTW.

Keep in mind that DarthMod fixed 90% of the complaints of ETW including things like battle music, sounds of gunshots, AI, etc. etc. I could go on.

This guy's a genius and I only play TW games with his mod and never vanilla. His view is frightening. I'm starting to hesitate.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337315

Mr.Ceefus
03-14-2010, 03:27 AM
I should have found this sooner. The creator of the DarthMods for the TW games gave a comprehensive review on his view of NTW.

Keep in mind that DarthMod fixed 90% of the complaints of ETW including things like battle music, sounds of gunshots, AI, etc. etc. I could go on.

This guy's a genius and I only play TW games with his mod and never vanilla. His view is frightening. I'm starting to hesitate.

aside from bigger unit sizes, darth mod does nothing spectacular. his review is biased as he doesn't have the tools and the same freedom to mod ntw as he did with etw. neverpleased(lol) made a fine post about this and here you are again retorting with this crap. dont get it and stop flaming. just have fun with etw, its a great game

LA Snow
03-14-2010, 03:37 AM
aside from bigger unit sizes, darth mod does nothing spectacular. his review is biased as he doesn't have the tools and the same freedom to mod ntw as he did with etw. neverpleased(lol) made a fine post about this and here you are again retorting with this crap. dont get it and stop flaming. just have fun with etw, its a great game

DarthMod did nothing spectacular? Are you drunk? You've got to be kidding me...

I'm not flaming anyone, I'm trying to decide if NTW is worth it. Darth's opinion holds a lot of weight in the TW community. Most of us wouldn't even play ETW if it wasn't for DMUC. More changes than I can count.

It's obvious that you've never played the DarthMod or you're just not telling the truth. Anyone would definitely notice the AI changes, the diplomacy, the campaign AI, the fire-by-rank being fixed, etc.

Mr.Ceefus
03-14-2010, 03:46 AM
DarthMod did nothing spectacular? Are you drunk? You've got to be kidding me...

I'm not flaming anyone, I'm trying to decide if NTW is worth it. Darth's opinion holds a lot of weight in the TW community. Most of us wouldn't even play ETW if it wasn't for DMUC. More changes than I can count.

It's obvious that you've never played the DarthMod or you're just not telling the truth. Anyone would definitely notice the AI changes, the diplomacy, the campaign AI, the fire-by-rank being fixed, etc.

lol. have played darth mod. not impressed. the ai is no different. he even says so. he just tweaked the gun accuracy so it seems more deadly. diplomacy better? lol! this is the same guy who gave etw a grand review over 9 when it first came out, bugs and all. now giving this vastly improved game a 7.5 and people are supposed to trust his biased opinion? go ahead and go play darth mod. the bugs are still there, his mod only hides them a little. ntw is totally worth the price of admission

LA Snow
03-14-2010, 03:51 AM
lol. have played darth mod. not impressed. the ai is no different. he even says so. he just tweaked the gun accuracy so it seems more deadly. diplomacy better? lol! this is the same guy who gave etw a grand review over 9 when it first came out, bugs and all. now giving this vastly improved game a 7.5 and people are supposed to trust his biased opinion? go ahead and go play darth mod. the bugs are still there, his mod only hides them a little. ntw is totally worth the price of admission

This look like only unit sizes being different?

http://www.youtube.com/user/melin1971#p/u/5/2mSPm3w5W1U

What do you mean he even says AI is no different?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=2334

Right there is goes through AI being one of the main features. I have no idea where you get your information from. If you don't agree with his review of NTW, fine. But don't bash DarthMod for ETW which is a huge accomplishment shared by many many of us who've played TW games since Shogun.

Mr.Ceefus
03-14-2010, 03:59 AM
This look like only unit sizes being different?

http://www.youtube.com/user/melin1971#p/u/5/2mSPm3w5W1U

What do you mean he even says AI is no different?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=2334

Right there is goes through AI being one of the main features. I have no idea where you get your information from. If you don't agree with his review of NTW, fine. But don't bash DarthMod for ETW which is a huge accomplishment shared by many many of us who've played TW games since Shogun.

you got blinders on as does darth. darth wants access to the game he cant get so he bashes it. its sad really. total war is moving on. you know damn well you aren't here to be swayed. there are enough videos and reviews out there to make the right choice and yet here you are with darth's review, which by the way is not even a bad dont get this game review yet it makes you "hesitant".

LA Snow
03-14-2010, 04:04 AM
you got blinders on as does darth. darth wants access to the game he cant get so he bashes it. its sad really. total war is moving on. you know damn well you aren't here to be swayed. there are enough videos and reviews out there to make the right choice and yet here you are with darth's review, which by the way is not even a bad dont get this game review yet it makes you "hesitant".

Well before I read that review I didn't know there was no fire by rank and scripted sequences in the campaign. Most reviews out there just talk about the graphics, stability, blah blah. There are graphical mods for ETW.

Plus, Darth was the first one to post screenshots of 80 men charging full on into gunfire by the AI. Those are the things that make me hesitant. Then all the posts that follow that said that they played NTW for a week, felt like they did all there was to be done, then went back to a modded ETW for an open-ended campaign without scripted sequences.

Mr.Ceefus
03-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Well before I read that review I didn't know there was no fire by rank and scripted sequences in the campaign. Most reviews out there just talk about the graphics, stability, blah blah. There are graphical mods for ETW.

Plus, Darth was the first one to post screenshots of 80 men charging full on into gunfire by the AI. Those are the things that make me hesitant. Then all the posts that follow that said that they played NTW for a week, felt like they did all there was to be done, then went back to a modded ETW for an open-ended campaign without scripted sequences.

its true, ntw is not as open ended as etw, but it excels in just about every other area. like any game, you play too much, you will get bored. the same is true for etw. 1/4 of a grand campaign is enough to see it all. this is true for all total wars. multiplayer is what keeps them fresh

Draksen
03-14-2010, 04:55 AM
Linking twcenter: lol
The anglo-centrico-americano-self prising piece of crap of a site.
But if you're english or american, it's most probably a wonderful place to be, and discuss happy happy joy joy pseudo historical "facts" with the other anglo-centric teenagers...
Sorry had to.

LA Snow
03-14-2010, 04:39 PM
But if you're english or american, it's most probably a wonderful place to be, and discuss happy happy joy joy pseudo historical "facts" with the other anglo-centric teenagers...
Sorry had to.

That's fine. Bash the site when you can't come up with anything better. I don't blame you.

Draksen
03-15-2010, 04:06 AM
That's fine. Bash the site when you can't come up with anything better. I don't blame you.
LA Snow, go play your Darthmod if you think it's so great.
You came here to ask some advice but seem to have decided that the darthmod is better. It's not only pointless, it's also stupid.

All that makes you sound like a troll, which make me think that you'll be fine in the tw-anglo-center forums, it's full of your kind there.

lawsie69
03-15-2010, 10:19 AM
one thing about AI, try playing civ 4 or warlords, that shows you how AI should be done, they land massive troop invasions all the time when your at war.

Mr.Ceefus
03-15-2010, 02:03 PM
one thing about AI, try playing civ 4 or warlords, that shows you how AI should be done, they land massive troop invasions all the time when your at war.

theres combat in the civ series? i never noticed lol! my archer can kill your tank! hows that for ai?

shireknight
03-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Ok guys getting a bit heated here. Mr.Ceefus is correct, Darth has not changed the AI in any way, the AI files are locked away in the core and no-one outside of CA can access them.

What Darth does is trawl through masses and masses of individual minor settings making tweaks here and there until he gets the results he's after. It takes a lot of dedication to do what he does but changing the AI? nah sorry LA Snow that's not what he's doing mate :)

Neverpleased
03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Indeed Darthmod is great but I play DMUC (Darthmod Ultimate Commander) which has about 100 other mods all blended together. We got more units, new flags, music, skins, naval tweaking and what not. Darthmod on it's own actually made the AI worse for me. They just marched up to my units and because Darthmod tries everything to get the melee bug out they sorta pranced back and forth in the early days.

However most files in TW are locked and are still locked for some arbitrary reason (to sell DLC of course). If the mods were actually allowed their old freedoms we could have the TF2 of TBRTS (pronounced tébertes) games.

There is a DEMO!!! so go try it mate, like it buy it (adequate representation of the game although scripted).

Montaigne
03-18-2010, 01:31 PM
LOL.

LA Snow, I appreciate the thread topic and it told me what I needed to know i.e. that there have been some improvements to the engine and enough to keep casual gamers amused but no point in buying if you want a serious challenge.

I always find it funny that when someone is trying to get an honest answer about a subject in a dedicated forum that people either respond with nonsense, which doesn't answer the OP's question or instead chooses to troll.

Answering a post asking about game play with comments not actually related to game play and then bashing the OP for pointing out that these answers fail to answer the original question is just trolling.

Sorry had to.

Yup, cos that was on topic. And god forbid that an English speaking forum is anglocentric? Do you even understand the meaning of the words you are using? lol

LA Snow, go play your Darthmod if you think it's so great.
You came here to ask some advice but seem to have decided that the darthmod is better. It's not only pointless, it's also stupid.

Dude, are you 12 years old or something? The whole point of a discussion is to discuss, which is what LA Snow has been doing. Your response brings nothing to the conversation. All you are doing is throwing out pointless insults just for the sake of it.

The best way to refute a person's argument is not to ignore the topic in favour of calling him stupid lol.

Tibbetts
03-18-2010, 07:58 PM

TWC seems to be down, so I can't check out your links. But I now own both ETW(vanilla) and NTW(vanilla) - yes, I know you said compared to only DarthMod ETW, but I dont' have that Mod installed -, and I have to say that the campaigns in NTW aren't great. I'm trying a campaign as Britain and the campaign features, quite honestly, suck. The multiplayer option is just as fun as ETW. Haven't really tried the mp-campaigns yet, so I won't speak to those.

Regards,

-Tibbetts

Draksen
03-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Montaigne,
Adding "lol" at the end of all your sentences doesnt make you sound smart.
As for the word anglocentric, it seems you're the one who doesnt understand its meaning. Next time you steal a french name (Montaigne) be sure to understand the correct meaning of French terms used in English.

Graphic
03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Darthmod is highly overrated. I'm not a fan of the mod or the man with the hyperinflated ego who created it

rial2209
03-22-2010, 06:39 AM
What I've heard and seen from napoleon, it is better looking, it has minor tweaks to some things, it has a few added elements such as generals having more influence etc, small stuff, but as I've been asking the same question LA has, I haven't heard anything worth while from it. Havent even tried the demo, because people say the demo isnt the real game and should not be trusted.

But from hear say perspective, it's nothing interesting, and mods for empire would be 40 euros or dollars less costly.

dgeast01
03-22-2010, 09:00 PM
I enjoyed working through the Napoleon campaigns. Most of the battles were great. I have just started the Coalition Campaigns, first with Britain.

I have had quite a few sea battles. Still improving my game there.

The land campaign has been a little easier than I thought it would be, so far. France has been building several armies around Paris so I think I am in for in fight.

Thanks.

fvdham
03-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree, it perhaps lacks the trade routes...
but I dont miss them because:
You can play 60+ turns of NTW it's still fluid and you have no CTD.
After 20+ turns of ETW your campaign save file is already most probably corrupted and if it isnt yet, the game becomes laggy and your chances to get a CTD are already higher than 50%...
In one word: ETW is so bugged that good mod or not, it IS NOT worth playing.

ETW has been patched. I prefer ETW as I can play as the Dutch.

coolerking2
03-24-2010, 05:17 PM
There is not a simple yes or no answer to this question. First of all Darthmods review "is" biased for reasons already discussed. What he calls a melee bug does show up at times but not as often as ETW. The AI likes to put all of it's units in a line and when it repositions this line the unit behavior is crap, not a bug just lazy game design. If the AI would organize it's units into groups of two or three it could maneuver properly.
He also fails to understand that it's not a bug when the AI decides that unit X will do more damage to unit y if it just charges into melee rather than be chewed by musket fire and probably rout before doing much damage. Calculating probable combat results is one of the few strengths of the AI. Even if you don't like it the AI is trying to be efficient and sell its troops for the highest potential causalities. However, if he mods the unit stats he can make the units behave differently. I am just guessing that is how he does it. The "dance of death" is not as much an issue in NTW. However generals will sometimes make ill advised moves.
NTW has generals with abilities, unit attrition and replenishment. Things like roads, supply yards etc. increase replenishment rates. You can convert building types. You can make a country a protectorate which is very nice. In NTW you cannot just retreat from battle. NTW "feels" more polished however Darthmod ETW after the last patch is close. Sorry but you will just have to play NTW because I just can't put my finger on why it "feels" more polished it just does. I have had no issues with running ETW or crashes so that is not it.
I am a big fan of Napoleonic era warfare and while I like NTW I find it difficult to get past the scale and the battles while fun don't "feel" Napoleonic. The scale and unit behavior just works better for ETW. By the time of Napoleon gunpowder warfare was highly refined. Army organization and unit formations other than line and square are not really used in NTW. I could get past this in ETW but it's just an itch I cannot scratch in NTW.
In comparison to Darthmod NTW holds up well. There is enough new content and features and I think that you should take a look. With that said, once I finish the campaigns I will go back to my unfinished ETW and MTW campaigns.
Sorry I went on so long and hope this info helps. Your question is a good one.

milkweg
03-26-2010, 02:15 AM
I see one more: It's Napoléon... ;)

Vive l'Empereur et Vive la France!
(THE reason for me héhé)

Nappy was a prat so would choose to play as Wellington anyway. I'm sticking to ETW+DM and skipping Nappy unless add-on content gets released that make it a must buy. Even then I will wait for the Gold version.

milkweg
03-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Montaigne,
Adding "lol" at the end of all your sentences doesnt make you sound smart.
As for the word anglocentric, it seems you're the one who doesnt understand its meaning. Next time you steal a french name (Montaigne) be sure to understand the correct meaning of French terms used in English.

All we need to understand is what is meant by "cheese eating surrender monkey". :D

Herodotus07
03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Nappy was a prat so would choose to play as Wellington anyway. I'm sticking to ETW+DM and skipping Nappy unless add-on content gets released that make it a must buy. Even then I will wait for the Gold version.
NTW is by no means a must-have, but then neither was "M2TW: Kingdoms". Only difference is that this is a full-priced expansion, and despite the improvements it just doesn't qualify for a full RRP. The Campaigns are much tighter, and that alone is worth the price of admission.
All we need to understand is what is meant by "cheese eating surrender monkey". :D
Been watching "Top Gear" lately for that Jezza Clarkson line?

meenchawit
03-26-2010, 08:24 PM
It's better, In every SINGLE way. Darthmod have accomplish in fixing ETW
But I believe CA seems to pick up what the DM have left of.

milkweg
03-27-2010, 03:55 AM

No, I've watched Top Gear before but not sure what you mean. I live in Canada and not the UK. We have our own home grown Frenchies.

I did look up Clarkson though.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/07/mp_clarkson_demand/

Ipswich Labour MP Chris Mole has written a "strongly-worded" letter to the BBC's director general Mark Thompson demanding that Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson be sacked for suggesting that lorry drivers routinely kill strumpets.

Washell
03-27-2010, 08:40 AM

The line was first spoken by groundskeeper Willie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJAw-fuYHk) in the Simpsons. It was then oft-repeated in the press during the first stages of the US operation in Afghanistan. At this point it became part of popular culture and used by Clarkson whenever dealing with the french.

mrsiCkstar
03-29-2010, 10:03 AM
What's funny is that people who were upset about all the bugs in Empire are praising Darthmod but Darthmod has many bugs of it's own. Even in the installation instructions there are things like "oh btw don't enable this or it'll crash your game".

Darthmod has CTDs and bugs galore but for some reason people over at twcenter get pissed off if you critisize it. They like hating on CA for making a buggy game and at the same time kiss the butt of some guy who made a buggy mod with a picture of darth vader on it! Real immersive!

Mods are horrid. Pretty much all of them introduce additional bugs and nearly all of them are a hassle to install, and sometimes even worse, to uninstall. Mod makers are mostly amateurs who just tweak files to what they THINK is more realistic.

milkweg
03-29-2010, 08:36 PM
If Napoleon really is better I would buy it if it wasn't for the fact it is a story driven campaign and you can only play as Napoleon. The scope of the game just does not interest me.

Mr.Ceefus
03-30-2010, 02:00 AM
If Napoleon really is better I would buy it if it wasn't for the fact it is a story driven campaign and you can only play as Napoleon. The scope of the game just does not interest me.

it is better and you dont just have to play as napoleon

mriguy
03-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Mods are horrid. Pretty much all of them introduce additional bugs and nearly all of them are a hassle to install, and sometimes even worse, to uninstall. Mod makers are mostly amateurs who just tweak files to what they THINK is more realistic.

MODS have been the backbone of the Total War series since its inception. The ONLY problem with ETW modding has been that The Creative Assembly/SEGA have placed the selling of DLC over the eternal youth that is offered to a product by an active modding community. It's actually amazing what DarthMod does in ETW considering what tools are available.

"Mod makers are mostly amateurs..." this is extremely shortsighted. Many MODS have grown to become products of their own. Take a look at the upcoming Natural Selection 2. What would Oblivion be without OBSE and its mods or M2TW without the Stainless Steel mod. These "amateurs" many times are professional graphics artists, designers, software engineers and programmers that want to contribute to the community.

It is sad that the desire to sell DLC for small short term profits exceeds the desire to work with the community and create a title that sells for many years after its release date. Even after four years, the M2TW series flourishes and sells well because of the modding community.

-Veritas
03-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi. I've played total war since Medieval 1, mainly for the empire building sandbox element of the Grand Campaign. NTW simply doesn't have this. You are limited to a very linear, scripted, campaign in Europe. The graphics are nice, the supply system is nice, the attrition system is nice, but none of this makes up for the lack of a grand campaign to me. Other flaws of NTW include the absolute irrelevance of population and religion, the fact that towns no longer grow, the removal of different theaters of war, and the very few playable factions. The combination of these factors make NTW feel like a dumbed down, arcade version of Empire.

That's not to say NTW isn't a good game for what it is (or what it should have been); a mini expansion to empire. It is a solid game, but one that I couldn't bring myself to spend more than a few hours playing; it just felt too shallow, too constrained, and too static. if you are a fan of Napoleon Bonaparte, I suggest you buy it. If you are a fan of the TW series for the extremely re-playable, open ended grand campaigns than I would stick with modded ETW, or even modded MIITW.

Darthmod has CTDs and bugs galore but for some reason people over at twcenter get jarateed off if you critisize it. They like hating on CA for making a buggy game and at the same time kiss the butt of some guy who made a buggy mod with a picture of darth vader on it! Real immersive!

Mods are horrid.

Speaking with no interest whatsoever in TWcentre, I can say that DMUC is very stable (I use the most recent version). I have not once had it crash on me, and I use various submods for it as well. Also, by saying that mods are horrid you show that you have almost no experience with the Total war series, beyond maybe Empire total war. Either that, or you are too simple to install one correctly. There are MANY mods for MIITW that are higher quality than retail games. You just sound bitter.

AlJabberwock
04-05-2010, 06:33 PM
THE TOWER OF BABEL

1)To DM or not to DM... Everyone's right, No one's right.

With a few exceptions it is probably true that mods are best for those familiar with their use and their pitfalls. Also those with experience modding, editing and thinking about software potential issues will simply install and troubleshoot mods better than those who do not have that experience or that "way of thinking". Thusly it should be said that there is always a divide between those who mod and those who seek to avoid that, with a slightly muddy area in between where some from each group may wander based on "compatibility" or "availability" for multiplayer.

We build computers - not software, but as such have some neccessary basic troubleshooting skill with software. We tend to use mods, if they aren't too picky, for our favorite games of which TW titles have their representatives. We like mods while maintaining vanilla copies for MP compat... ETW with mods was improved but not polished. DM adds some very good tweaks but they cannot substitute for better code.

NTW simply stated has better code. This is NOT limited to behavioral issues, despite the already stated LIMITED advance in AI. This is quite apparent particularly in morale, and it is deliberately demonstrated with those little morale bars.

Code is also improved for visual, sound, and gameplay options, and while I agree there is probably at least one intermittent memomry leak, the technical execution of the design within 32 and 64 bits is inestimably LESS ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Mad Boris (and lamentably later, CA itself) gave us what improvements could be made AFTER the fact when the evidence of the essential failure of the technical design of ETW became apparent. You may recall the issues with limited address and large-memory systems, essentially NO support for multiple proc cores, none for hyperthreading worthy of the name, and no practical improvement for multiple GPUs either. PATHETIC! Good Christmas, some of the graphics people didn't even have the same version software as they contributed to group activity with all SORTS of ridiculous shenannigans as a result.

Darthmod, and indeed many other mods cannot and DID not undo these underlying essential failures. Mods only moderated them, because NO mod could overcome what must have been a landmark "Tower of Babel" event in the studios of CA as ETW failed to come together.

2)NTW
NTW has better code. Period. It feels better because it IS better at the underlying technical base of each separate area we "see/hear/feel" as we play. It does not get a 'free pass' as "multi-core" procs and gpus are still not used to anywhere near their capabilities, nor is the creaky MP without serious need of improvement, however it IS better in these areas than all of the preceding titles, which is better than nothing.

By all means play the demo as suggested above and know it is a limited version of the final product. With the unit editor and a few other nice tweaks the game offers some interesting potential for the future despite its inately less-open design. ETW in all its glorious failure as well as NTW will both probably continue to be used by us for ingame hardware benching and the occasional game as we enjoy some heavy use of the multiplayer campaign modes which works perfectly for us on lan or net if we are local.

Sure, the eye candy is certainly better, the uniforms more flamboyant, the camera and voice-effect work much more dramatic - arcade like if you denegrate that sort of thing,... but the underlying technical code is better, and that makes all the difference. If later mods with possibly better mod tools improve upon it, they have a far better starting point.

Dimwit[WN]/AlJabberwock

VonKleist
06-23-2010, 06:52 AM
I played NTW & enjoyed it so much I then got ETW hoping I would like that also. Sadly I was dissapointed - ETW is buggy & unstable.

Because the NTW campaign is 10 years long it has a much tighter feel to it. I find the units much more interesting ( from the french viewpoint at least ) and ditto for the building & tech trees. The 3D battles are graphically more polished compared to ETW, as you'd expect.

My system has quite low specs so, as NTW has less factions than ETW in it, the game lag whilst the AI moves on the campaign map is less pronounced. This is quite important when you have finite time to actually play the game ! :cool:

BeefSausage
06-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I would say that NTW is a much better base then ETW for mods. For me the biggest advantage was that each turn was only 2 weeks, instead of half a year, with a distinct feel to all 4 seasons.

In addition there are no more religious units (except for the new Peninsular Campaign), which i thought were always a pain.

Although religious unrest does still play a small role in popular unrest.

All in all I think NTW as a much more in depth and detailed deel to its campaign modes than ETW did, I have also seen posts about a variety of mods for NTW as weel. So if you insist on mods they are out there.

To be honest I never played any mods for ETW, so maybe this post is useless.

AussieN00bLord
06-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Yall ♥♥♥♥ahs are entering a troll thread. OP is just a flaming troll. Do not feed the low lifes

LA Snow
06-23-2010, 07:18 PM
I asked a legitimate question. I'm not a troll. I've got almost 700 posts and about 30 rep points. How many do you have? Oh yeah, zero rep points and 12 posts. Who's the troll?

AussieN00bLord
06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
I asked a legitimate question. I'm not a troll. I've got almost 700 posts and about 30 rep points. How many do you have? Oh yeah, zero rep points and 12 posts. Who's the troll?

676 posts and about 29 rep points. Oh my. You've got quite a life :cool: i notice! However, if i may be so bold to point the obvious, my join date can be easily observed dear youngling. :confused:

Napoleon Total War is a fantastic game! However in inclined to follow ye olde darth in his way of thinking. Having said that, I will not waste the courts time with stating the obvious facts here. :D

BeefSausage
06-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Clearly this has become a discussion on the pros and cons of modding as they relate to the potential future of NTW.

Given Darth's stated posistion that he will NOT mod NTW unless CA makes it easier for him to do so, along with his clear preemminece among the TW modding community , a betting man would have to say that no darthmod or its equivalent will be forthcoming for NTW.

That should answer your question about whether or not to purchase this game LA. If you are a strong believer in darthmod you should probably skip NTW.

Personally I have very little expierence w/mods in general, though I have played total war since Shogun.
In fact that only mod i have ever used for any game was the total realism mod for RTW, which I thought was fantastic, when i was actually able to get it to work.

My expierence with mods has been that they are difficult to implement, and I almost had to wipe my entire hard drive once while trying to DL RTR because the file had a nasty virus in it.

All of this apparent friction between the devs at CA and the modders for TW games is dissapointing as even w/my very limited expierence/expertise w/mods i can see that the loss of the modding community is a major blow to the total war series from the perspective of its customers.

With all that said I personally have purchased NTW and enjoyed it a great deal more than ETW.

jkhuskies09
06-24-2010, 02:56 PM
its got a better ai and better tech systems, plus the battles are more realistic