PDA

View Full Version : Most memorable quote from Half-Life 2

Pages : [1] 2

Whatthecell
03-11-2010, 05:59 AM
What was in your opinion the best line of dialogue in Half-Life 2?

Mine was when Dr. Breen was talking to you, and he was like "Fortunately, the Resistance has shown it is willing to accept a new leader, and this one has proven to be a fine pawn for those who control him."

It made me ponder about the Gman, and if he was actually controlling me, or if he was on my side.

What about you?

TeleProd
03-11-2010, 06:09 AM
I really like the Breencasts. Breen is persuasive, charismatic and awesome. If I had to choose one I'd say the first one:

"Welcome. Welcome to City 17. You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers."

It's the one that's been burned into my mind.

anthill955
03-11-2010, 07:54 AM
HM. A COMBINE ZOMBIE. THAT'S LIKE A, A, A, ZOMBINE! RIGHT?

`dt0x.
03-11-2010, 10:46 AM
"This... is the Free Man. The Combines reckoning... has come."

My favorite.

iToasterHD
03-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I am in 100% agreement with TeleProd. I still can recall Breen's words when I first played the game.

Zekiran
03-11-2010, 01:25 PM
While it's not my "favorite", the quote of Breen when he's assailing Gordon's willful challenge to the new world order... and says "You have destroyed so much. What is it you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not."

HOPE, Dr Breen, HOPE. I always wind up yelling at the game about then. It makes me want to send a portal to Rapture and swipe one of Ryan's golf clubs, and smack Breen upside the head with it.

My favorite line however, remains "we will speak in the Human tongue while in your presence. Unless we wish to say disparaging things about you. *begins speaking Vort again*"

Zeaphor
03-11-2010, 02:33 PM
"It's safer here."

AguyinaRPG
03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
"About that beer I owed ya."

I didn't even play HL1 and yet I was laughing so hard.

Leushenko
03-11-2010, 03:55 PM
"...what cat?"

bluz74
03-11-2010, 04:06 PM
my favorite quote is in the opening comentary track by gabe newel in episode 1 where he states that they are releasing episodes hoping to be able to release new content quicker.....fast forward three years......

hazzard4123
03-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah it's gotta be the intro part with Breen. I've played that part so many ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ times it's engraved in my head.

"Welcome to City 17, you have chosen, or been chosen..."

RussianWolf
03-11-2010, 05:20 PM
"wake up, and smell the ashes."

FreemanForPrez
03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
"When you see Dr. Breen, tell him Barney said 'F*** you!'"

Might not be the exact wording, but it's close.:D

darkrai88
03-11-2010, 09:49 PM
While it's not my "favorite", the quote of Breen when he's assailing Gordon's willful challenge to the new world order... and says "You have destroyed so much. What is it you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not."

I always said FREEDOM, but the same thing - I yelled at the game every time.

My favorite line however, remains "we will speak in the Human tongue while in your presence. Unless we wish to say disparaging things about you. *begins speaking Vort again*"

So I'm not the only one who noticed that!

Anyways, my favorite line has to be "Man of few words, aren't you?" That made me laugh, even though when I heard it my total Half Life Series gameplay time altogether was about 10 minutes.

KryptoKrunch
03-12-2010, 02:37 AM
I really like the Breencasts. Breen is persuasive, charismatic and awesome. If I had to choose one I'd say the first one:

"Welcome. Welcome to City 17. You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers."

Same here.

reggit
03-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Gordon Freeman throws a knife into a combine - pinning him to the wall - then says in his finest Arnie voice "Stick Around!"
hmmmm, i maybe confusing Predator with Half Life 2 tho! lol! =P

Egyptman786
03-12-2010, 12:21 PM
G-Man: The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Share this quote
[first lines]
G-Man: Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No-one is more deserving of a rest. And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has come again. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes.

Share this quote
Alyx Vance: Dog, throw something bigger!

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: Well, Dr. Freeman, under other circumstances I like to think we might have been able to work together in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect. Certainly, judging from your brief tenure at Black Mesa while I was its Administrator, you showed every promise of becoming a valuable and productive contributor to the scientific process. And yet... I'm not sure what spurred you to it... but there is really no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist.
Dr. Wallace Breen: Your mentors are partly to blame, of course. My disappointment in Eli Vance and Isaac Kleiner is far greater than my sorrow over your unfortunate choice of career path. In a way, I suppose you could not have done otherwise. Who knows what seeds of iconoclasm they planted when you were young and gullible. But while they certainly share a great part of the responsibility for the recent troubles, it is you alone who have chosen to act with such willful disregard for humanity's future.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: Dr. Freeman. You really shouldn't be out there. At the moment of synapse, as I teleport, this chamber will be bathed in deadly particles that have yet to be named by human science. Perhaps when I have the leisure to do the work myself, I'll name one after you. That way you won't be completely forgotten.
Dr. Wallace Breen: When the singularity collapses, I will be far away from here. In another universe, as a matter of fact. You, on the other hand, will be destroyed in every way it is possible to be destroyed-and even in some which are essentially impossible.

Share this quote
Dr. Judith Mossman: They can tunnel through from their universe, but once they're here they're dependent on local transportation. If they knew what we're doing with entanglement - Oh, listen to me, I sound like a post-doc.

Share this quote
Dr. Isaac Kleiner: Never fear, Gordon, she's de-beaked and completely harmless. The worst she might do is attempt to couple with your head. Fruitlessly!

Share this quote
Barney Calhoun: [after Gordon is congratulated for being a major help in an experiment] Great job, Gordon! Throwing that switch and all, I can see your MIT education really pays for itself.

Share this quote
[G-Man has just frozen time at the end of the game, finishes Alyx's phrase cut off in the process]
G-Man: Time, Dr. Freeman? Is it really that time again? It seems as if you only just arrived. You've done a great deal in a small time span. You've done so well, in fact, that I've received some interesting offers for your services.
[G-Man picks something off the frozen body of Alyx]
G-Man: Ordinarily, I wouldn't contemplate them... but these *are* extraordinary times.
[the world around Gordon fades away, into the familiar "Star Tram" from Half-Life 1]
G-Man: Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you... if and when your time comes round again. I do apologize for what must seem to you an arbitrary imposition, Dr. Freeman. I trust it will all make sense to you in the course of... well... I'm really not at liberty to say. In the meantime... this is where I get off.
[G-Man walks away from Gordon, adjusts his tie, and walks into a white opening]

Share this quote
Barney Calhoun: And if you see Dr. Breen, tell him I said: "F...
[profanity-masking crash]
Barney Calhoun: ...you!"

Share this quote
Alyx Vance: Man of few words, aren't you?

Share this quote
Dr. Isaac Kleiner: [the teleportation device malfunctions] What happened?
Barney Calhoun: It's your pet, the freakin' head-humper!

Share this quote
Dr. Isaac Kleiner: Well, Gordon, I see your HEV Suit still fits you like a glove. At least, the glove parts do.

Share this quote
Barney Calhoun: [after taking off Combine helmet] Now, about that beer I owed you. It's me Gordan! Barney, from Black Mesa!

Share this quote
Dr. Isaac Kleiner: We can't leave without Lamarr. She's around here somewhere
Alyx Vance: Come on Dr. Kleiner we can find you another pet headcrab.
Dr. Isaac Kleiner: There's only one Hedy!

Share this quote
Barney Calhoun: Hey Gordon, you dropped this back in Black Mesa
[throws crowbar]

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: Welcome. Welcome, to City 17. You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers. I thought so much of City 17, that I elected to establish my administration, here, in the citadel, so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors. I am proud to call City 17 my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through to parts unknown, welcome, to City 17. It's safer here.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: Let me read a letter I recently received. 'Dear Dr. Breen. Why has the Combine seen fit to suppress our reproductive cycle? Sincerely, A Concerned Citizen.' Thank you for writing, Concerned. Of course your question touches on one of the basic biological impulses, with all its associated hopes and fears for the future of the species. I also detect some unspoken questions. Do our benefactors really know what's best for us? What gives them the right to make this kind of decision for mankind? Will they ever deactivate the suppression field and let us breed again? Allow me to address the anxieties underlying your concerns, rather than try to answer every possible question you might have left unvoiced. First, let us consider the fact that for the first time ever, as a species, immortality is in our reach. This simple fact has far-reaching implications. It requires radical rethinking and revision of our genetic imperatives. It also requires planning and forethought that run in direct opposition to our neural pre-sets. I find it helpful at times like these to remind myself that our true enemy is Instinct. Instinct was our mother when we were an infant species. Instinct cuddled us and kept us safe in those hardscrabble years when we hardened our sticks and cooked our first meals above a meager fire and started at the shadows that leapt upon the cavern's walls. But inseparable from Instinct is its dark twin, Superstition. Instinct is inextricably bound to unreasoning impulses, and today we clearly see its true nature. Instinct has just become aware of its irrelevance, and like a cornered beast, it will not go down without a bloody fight. Instinct would inflict a fatal injury on our species. Instinct creates its own oppressors, and bids us rise up against them. Instinct tells us that the unknown is a threat, rather than an opportunity. Instinct slyly and covertly compels us away from change and progress. Instinct, therefore, must be expunged. It must be fought tooth and nail, beginning with the basest of human urges: The urge to reproduce. We should thank our benefactors for giving us respite from this overpowering force. They have thrown a switch and exorcised our demons in a single stroke. They have given us the strength we never could have summoned to overcome this compulsion. They have given us purpose. They have turned our eyes toward the stars. Let me assure you that the suppressing field will be shut off on the day that we have mastered ourselves... the day we can prove we no longer need it. And that day of transformation, I have it on good authority, is close at hand.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: We now have direct confirmation of a disruptor in our midst, one who has acquired an almost messianic reputation in the minds of certain citizens. His figure is synonymous with the darkest urges of instinct, ignorance and decay. Some of the worst excesses of the Black Mesa Incident have been laid directly at his feet. And yet unsophisticated minds continue to imbue him with romantic power, giving him such dangerous poetic labels as the One Free Man, the Opener of the Way. Let me remind all citizens of the dangers of magical thinking. We have scarcely begun to climb from the dark pit of our species' evolution. Let us not slide backward into oblivion, just as we have finally begun to see the light. If you see this so-called Free Man, report him. Civic deeds do not go unrewarded. And contrariwise, complicity with his cause will not go unpunished. Be wise. Be safe. Be aware.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: I have been asked to say a few words to the transhuman arm of Sector Seventeen Overwatch, concerning recent successes in containing members of the resistance Science Team. Let me say up front that I regret having to temper my heartfelt congratulations with a strong measure of disappointment. But I wouldn't be doing my duty as your Administrator if I didn't pass along the message I have received from our Benefactors. The capture of Eli Vance is an event of major significance, make no mistake. And while it's true that conceivably we could have taken him at almost any time in the last several years, the manner of his capture may prove to have unexpected benefits. It cannot have gone unnoticed by all resistance members that Doctor Vance's capture coincided with the act of giving shelter to Gordon Freeman. This might cause other resistance members to think twice before harboring Doctor Freeman. It might cause them to question his allegiance; even prompt some to turn him out, or turn him over to our cause. However, we cannot count on such developments. Doctor Freeman's reputation is such that other desperate renegades are likely to grant him a great deal of license in the spirit of spreading general chaos and terror. This brings me to the one note of disappointment I must echo from our Benefactors. Obviously I am not on the ground to closely command or second-guess the dedicated forces of the Overwatch, but this does not mean I can shirk responsibility for recent lapses and even outright failures on their part. I have been severely questioned about these shortcomings, and now must put the question to you: How could one man have slipped through your force's fingers time and time again? How is it possible? This is not some agent provocateur or highly trained assassin we are discussing. Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist who had hardly earned the distinction of his Ph.D. at the time of the Black Mesa Incident. I have good reason to believe that in the intervening years, he was in a state that precluded further development of covert skills. The man you have consistently failed to slow, let alone capture, is by all standards simply that - an ordinary man. How can you have failed to apprehend him? Well... I will leave the upbraiding for another time, to the extent it proves necessary. Now is the moment to redeem yourselves. If the transhuman forces are to prove themselves an indispensable augmentation to the Combine Overwatch, they will have to earn the privilege. I'm sure I don't have to remind you that the alternative, if you can call it that, is total extinction - in union with all the other unworthy branches of the species. Let's not allow it to come to that. I have done my best to convince our Benefactors that you are the finest the species has to offer. So far they have accepted my argument, but without concrete evidence to back it up, my words sound increasingly hollow even to me. The burden of proof is on you. As is the consequence of failure. I'll just leave it at that.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: It has come to my attention that some have lately called me a collaborator, as if such a term were shameful. I ask you, what greater endeavor exists than that of collaboration? In our current unparalleled enterprise, refusal to collaborate is simply a refusal to grow - an insistence on suicide, if you will. Did the lungfish refuse to breathe air? It did not. It crept forth boldly while its brethren remained in the blackest ocean abyss, with lidless eyes forever staring at the dark, ignorant and doomed despite their eternal vigilance. Would we model ourselves on the trilobite? Are all the accomplishments of humanity fated to be nothing more than a layer of broken plastic shards thinly strewn across a fossil bed, sandwiched between the Burgess shale and an eon's worth of mud? In order to be true to our nature, and our destiny, we must aspire to greater things. We have outgrown our cradle. It is futile to cry for mother's milk, when our true sustenance awaits us among the stars. And only the universal union that small minds call 'The Combine' can carry us there. Therefore I say, yes, I am a collaborator. We must all collaborate, willingly, eagerly, if we expect to reap the benefits of unification. And reap we shall.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: I'd like to take a moment to address you directly, Dr. Freeman. Yes. I'm talking to you, the so-called One Free Man. I have a question for you. How could you have thrown it all away? It staggers the mind. A man of science, with the ability to sway reactionary and fearful minds toward the truth, choosing instead to embark on a path of ignorance and decay. Make no mistake, Dr. Freeman. This is not a scientific revolution you have sparked... this is death and finality. You have plunged humanity into freefall. Even if you offered your surrender now, I cannot guarantee that our benefactors would accept it. At the moment, I fear they have begun to look upon even me with suspicion. So much for serving as humanity's representative. Help me win back their trust, Dr. Freeman. Surrender while you still can. Help ensure that humanity's trust in you is not misguided. Do what is right, Dr. Freeman. Serve mankind.

Share this quote
Citizens: [Over the Resistance radio channel] I repeat, Gordon Freeman has returned! It is essential he gets to Black Mesa East!

Share this quote
Alyx Vance: What cat?

DirectVic
03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
You just quoted the whole damn game!

On-topic: It's a tough one. It's definitely something from Breen though, perhaps his "can you name even one thing" Breencast, the "fine pawn" speech or the opening Breencast.

Myslaw
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I really like all those crap that Vortigaunts say cuz they say lots of stuff that seem sensless but actualy they tell the story.

Myslaw
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
G-Man: The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Share this quote
[first lines]
G-Man: Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No-one is more deserving of a rest. And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has come again. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes.

Share this quote
Alyx Vance: Dog, throw something bigger!

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: Well, Dr. Freeman, under other circumstances I like to think we might have been able to work together in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect. Certainly, judging from your brief tenure at Black Mesa while I was its Administrator, you showed every promise of becoming a valuable and productive contributor to the scientific process. And yet... I'm not sure what spurred you to it... but there is really no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist.
Dr. Wallace Breen: Your mentors are partly to blame, of course. My disappointment in Eli Vance and Isaac Kleiner is far greater than my sorrow over your unfortunate choice of career path. In a way, I suppose you could not have done otherwise. Who knows what seeds of iconoclasm they planted when you were young and gullible. But while they certainly share a great part of the responsibility for the recent troubles, it is you alone who have chosen to act with such willful disregard for humanity's future.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: Dr. Freeman. You really shouldn't be out there. At the moment of synapse, as I teleport, this chamber will be bathed in deadly particles that have yet to be named by human science. Perhaps when I have the leisure to do the work myself, I'll name one after you. That way you won't be completely forgotten.
Dr. Wallace Breen: When the singularity collapses, I will be far away from here. In another universe, as a matter of fact. You, on the other hand, will be destroyed in every way it is possible to be destroyed-and even in some which are essentially impossible.

Share this quote
Dr. Judith Mossman: They can tunnel through from their universe, but once they're here they're dependent on local transportation. If they knew what we're doing with entanglement - Oh, listen to me, I sound like a post-doc.

Share this quote
Dr. Isaac Kleiner: Never fear, Gordon, she's de-beaked and completely harmless. The worst she might do is attempt to couple with your head. Fruitlessly!

Share this quote
Barney Calhoun: [after Gordon is congratulated for being a major help in an experiment] Great job, Gordon! Throwing that switch and all, I can see your MIT education really pays for itself.

Share this quote
[G-Man has just frozen time at the end of the game, finishes Alyx's phrase cut off in the process]
G-Man: Time, Dr. Freeman? Is it really that time again? It seems as if you only just arrived. You've done a great deal in a small time span. You've done so well, in fact, that I've received some interesting offers for your services.
[G-Man picks something off the frozen body of Alyx]
G-Man: Ordinarily, I wouldn't contemplate them... but these *are* extraordinary times.
[the world around Gordon fades away, into the familiar "Star Tram" from Half-Life 1]
G-Man: Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you... if and when your time comes round again. I do apologize for what must seem to you an arbitrary imposition, Dr. Freeman. I trust it will all make sense to you in the course of... well... I'm really not at liberty to say. In the meantime... this is where I get off.
[G-Man walks away from Gordon, adjusts his tie, and walks into a white opening]

Share this quote
Barney Calhoun: And if you see Dr. Breen, tell him I said: "F...
[profanity-masking crash]
Barney Calhoun: ...you!"

Share this quote
Alyx Vance: Man of few words, aren't you?

Share this quote
Dr. Isaac Kleiner: [the teleportation device malfunctions] What happened?
Barney Calhoun: It's your pet, the freakin' head-humper!

Share this quote
Dr. Isaac Kleiner: Well, Gordon, I see your HEV Suit still fits you like a glove. At least, the glove parts do.

Share this quote
Barney Calhoun: [after taking off Combine helmet] Now, about that beer I owed you. It's me Gordan! Barney, from Black Mesa!

Share this quote
Dr. Isaac Kleiner: We can't leave without Lamarr. She's around here somewhere
Alyx Vance: Come on Dr. Kleiner we can find you another pet headcrab.
Dr. Isaac Kleiner: There's only one Hedy!

Share this quote
Barney Calhoun: Hey Gordon, you dropped this back in Black Mesa
[throws crowbar]

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: Welcome. Welcome, to City 17. You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers. I thought so much of City 17, that I elected to establish my administration, here, in the citadel, so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors. I am proud to call City 17 my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through to parts unknown, welcome, to City 17. It's safer here.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: Let me read a letter I recently received. 'Dear Dr. Breen. Why has the Combine seen fit to suppress our reproductive cycle? Sincerely, A Concerned Citizen.' Thank you for writing, Concerned. Of course your question touches on one of the basic biological impulses, with all its associated hopes and fears for the future of the species. I also detect some unspoken questions. Do our benefactors really know what's best for us? What gives them the right to make this kind of decision for mankind? Will they ever deactivate the suppression field and let us breed again? Allow me to address the anxieties underlying your concerns, rather than try to answer every possible question you might have left unvoiced. First, let us consider the fact that for the first time ever, as a species, immortality is in our reach. This simple fact has far-reaching implications. It requires radical rethinking and revision of our genetic imperatives. It also requires planning and forethought that run in direct opposition to our neural pre-sets. I find it helpful at times like these to remind myself that our true enemy is Instinct. Instinct was our mother when we were an infant species. Instinct cuddled us and kept us safe in those hardscrabble years when we hardened our sticks and cooked our first meals above a meager fire and started at the shadows that leapt upon the cavern's walls. But inseparable from Instinct is its dark twin, Superstition. Instinct is inextricably bound to unreasoning impulses, and today we clearly see its true nature. Instinct has just become aware of its irrelevance, and like a cornered beast, it will not go down without a bloody fight. Instinct would inflict a fatal injury on our species. Instinct creates its own oppressors, and bids us rise up against them. Instinct tells us that the unknown is a threat, rather than an opportunity. Instinct slyly and covertly compels us away from change and progress. Instinct, therefore, must be expunged. It must be fought tooth and nail, beginning with the basest of human urges: The urge to reproduce. We should thank our benefactors for giving us respite from this overpowering force. They have thrown a switch and exorcised our demons in a single stroke. They have given us the strength we never could have summoned to overcome this compulsion. They have given us purpose. They have turned our eyes toward the stars. Let me assure you that the suppressing field will be shut off on the day that we have mastered ourselves... the day we can prove we no longer need it. And that day of transformation, I have it on good authority, is close at hand.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: We now have direct confirmation of a disruptor in our midst, one who has acquired an almost messianic reputation in the minds of certain citizens. His figure is synonymous with the darkest urges of instinct, ignorance and decay. Some of the worst excesses of the Black Mesa Incident have been laid directly at his feet. And yet unsophisticated minds continue to imbue him with romantic power, giving him such dangerous poetic labels as the One Free Man, the Opener of the Way. Let me remind all citizens of the dangers of magical thinking. We have scarcely begun to climb from the dark pit of our species' evolution. Let us not slide backward into oblivion, just as we have finally begun to see the light. If you see this so-called Free Man, report him. Civic deeds do not go unrewarded. And contrariwise, complicity with his cause will not go unpunished. Be wise. Be safe. Be aware.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: I have been asked to say a few words to the transhuman arm of Sector Seventeen Overwatch, concerning recent successes in containing members of the resistance Science Team. Let me say up front that I regret having to temper my heartfelt congratulations with a strong measure of disappointment. But I wouldn't be doing my duty as your Administrator if I didn't pass along the message I have received from our Benefactors. The capture of Eli Vance is an event of major significance, make no mistake. And while it's true that conceivably we could have taken him at almost any time in the last several years, the manner of his capture may prove to have unexpected benefits. It cannot have gone unnoticed by all resistance members that Doctor Vance's capture coincided with the act of giving shelter to Gordon Freeman. This might cause other resistance members to think twice before harboring Doctor Freeman. It might cause them to question his allegiance; even prompt some to turn him out, or turn him over to our cause. However, we cannot count on such developments. Doctor Freeman's reputation is such that other desperate renegades are likely to grant him a great deal of license in the spirit of spreading general chaos and terror. This brings me to the one note of disappointment I must echo from our Benefactors. Obviously I am not on the ground to closely command or second-guess the dedicated forces of the Overwatch, but this does not mean I can shirk responsibility for recent lapses and even outright failures on their part. I have been severely questioned about these shortcomings, and now must put the question to you: How could one man have slipped through your force's fingers time and time again? How is it possible? This is not some agent provocateur or highly trained assassin we are discussing. Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist who had hardly earned the distinction of his Ph.D. at the time of the Black Mesa Incident. I have good reason to believe that in the intervening years, he was in a state that precluded further development of covert skills. The man you have consistently failed to slow, let alone capture, is by all standards simply that - an ordinary man. How can you have failed to apprehend him? Well... I will leave the upbraiding for another time, to the extent it proves necessary. Now is the moment to redeem yourselves. If the transhuman forces are to prove themselves an indispensable augmentation to the Combine Overwatch, they will have to earn the privilege. I'm sure I don't have to remind you that the alternative, if you can call it that, is total extinction - in union with all the other unworthy branches of the species. Let's not allow it to come to that. I have done my best to convince our Benefactors that you are the finest the species has to offer. So far they have accepted my argument, but without concrete evidence to back it up, my words sound increasingly hollow even to me. The burden of proof is on you. As is the consequence of failure. I'll just leave it at that.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: It has come to my attention that some have lately called me a collaborator, as if such a term were shameful. I ask you, what greater endeavor exists than that of collaboration? In our current unparalleled enterprise, refusal to collaborate is simply a refusal to grow - an insistence on suicide, if you will. Did the lungfish refuse to breathe air? It did not. It crept forth boldly while its brethren remained in the blackest ocean abyss, with lidless eyes forever staring at the dark, ignorant and doomed despite their eternal vigilance. Would we model ourselves on the trilobite? Are all the accomplishments of humanity fated to be nothing more than a layer of broken plastic shards thinly strewn across a fossil bed, sandwiched between the Burgess shale and an eon's worth of mud? In order to be true to our nature, and our destiny, we must aspire to greater things. We have outgrown our cradle. It is futile to cry for mother's milk, when our true sustenance awaits us among the stars. And only the universal union that small minds call 'The Combine' can carry us there. Therefore I say, yes, I am a collaborator. We must all collaborate, willingly, eagerly, if we expect to reap the benefits of unification. And reap we shall.

Share this quote
Dr. Wallace Breen: I'd like to take a moment to address you directly, Dr. Freeman. Yes. I'm talking to you, the so-called One Free Man. I have a question for you. How could you have thrown it all away? It staggers the mind. A man of science, with the ability to sway reactionary and fearful minds toward the truth, choosing instead to embark on a path of ignorance and decay. Make no mistake, Dr. Freeman. This is not a scientific revolution you have sparked... this is death and finality. You have plunged humanity into freefall. Even if you offered your surrender now, I cannot guarantee that our benefactors would accept it. At the moment, I fear they have begun to look upon even me with suspicion. So much for serving as humanity's representative. Help me win back their trust, Dr. Freeman. Surrender while you still can. Help ensure that humanity's trust in you is not misguided. Do what is right, Dr. Freeman. Serve mankind.

Share this quote
Citizens: [Over the Resistance radio channel] I repeat, Gordon Freeman has returned! It is essential he gets to Black Mesa East!

Share this quote
Alyx Vance: What cat?
Holy ♥♥♥♥ dude, wtf?

Zekiran
03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Maybe they're saying "everything in the game" is their favorite quote?

FreemanForPrez
03-12-2010, 04:06 PM
And here I thought the "quotebot" was only a myth. ;)

tschumann
03-12-2010, 04:12 PM
"When you see Dr. Breen, tell him Barney said 'F*** you!'"

This is the one that sticks with me.

Krabman7
03-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Breen - "What is the meaning of this? Who are you? How did you get in here!?"

*Talking to advisor*: That man I saw, I was all but certain it was... Gordon Freeman.

KazooieBanjo
03-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't recall the words exactly, but:

Alyx: You have no idea how lucky you are to be in that Hazard Suit. The water down here is disgusting. Is there room for two in there?

STEELCITY32
03-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Prepare for unforeseen consequences.
That one always gives me the chills.

Arquebusierx
03-12-2010, 07:58 PM
" Would we model ourselves on the trilobite? Are all the accomplishments of humanity fated to be nothing more than a layer of broken plastic shards thinly strewn across a fossil bed, sandwiched between the Burgess shale and an eon's worth of mud?" - Dr. Breen

I've always loved that quote. It says so much about Breen's character and his motivation. His greatest fear is humanity's extinction, and he'll do anything necessary to end "resistance" to his plans.

gorpie
03-12-2010, 08:17 PM
" Would we model ourselves on the trilobite? Are all the accomplishments of humanity fated to be nothing more than a layer of broken plastic shards thinly strewn across a fossil bed, sandwiched between the Burgess shale and an eon's worth of mud?" - Dr. Breen

I've always loved that quote. It says so much about Breen's character and his motivation. His greatest fear is humanity's extinction, and he'll do anything necessary to end "resistance" to his plans.

Including ending humanity as we know it. :rolleyes:

seseorang
03-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Holy ♥♥♥♥ dude, wtf?

Did you need to repeat everything exactly in the quote???

Arquebusierx
03-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Including ending humanity as we know it. :rolleyes:

I dunno, it always seemed to me that Breen honestly thought what he was doing was best for humanity, albeit in a really short-sighted, power-crazed dictator way. Then again, all he could care about is power and he's just feeding everyone bull♥♥♥♥. :P

Myslaw
03-13-2010, 03:37 AM
"wake up, and smell the ashes."

Ah man that was so depressive, that sentence really tells the story for itself.

Myslaw
03-13-2010, 03:40 AM
I always said FREEDOM, but the same thing - I yelled at the game every time.
Hah I do thaat too, he really pisses me of when he says that :)

gorpie
03-13-2010, 07:18 AM
I dunno, it always seemed to me that Breen honestly thought what he was doing was best for humanity, albeit in a really short-sighted, power-crazed dictator way. Then again, all he could care about is power and he's just feeding everyone bull♥♥♥♥. :P

Breen wants human-kind to continue. He doesn't care if we're no longer really human, or maybe he doesn't see it that way. Maybe as long as our DNA is around, that's all that matters to him.

ollyhl2
03-13-2010, 08:24 AM
"....."-Gordon Freeman

cco
03-13-2010, 09:19 AM
"I assume that you will want to leave, and I cannot disagree that out is the best place to be. As for me.... a shepherd must tend to his flock, especially when they have gone astray"-Father Gigori.

STEELCITY32
03-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Ahh yes I forgot Grigori. I love every quote he has.

AguyinaRPG
03-13-2010, 09:49 AM
"....."-Gordon Freeman

So Epic that he can speak in elipses!

cco
03-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Ahh yes I forgot Grigori. I love every quote he has.
To be honest, this is the only Gigori quote which I liked, he saw all of his friends killed, mutated, and now he has to kill them again, Sunshine and Daisies Gigori was dumb, and I hated him (To the point where I didn't take his Shotgun, I found my own instead) but in the Graveyard, that's where the part of his character which I liked came out.

seseorang
03-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Something along the lines of "Lamarr must be scared of that crowbar of yours, Gordon!" said by Eli when you return to his lab and hang around ... (or words to that effect)

Raknia
03-13-2010, 01:27 PM
"Prepare for unforseen consequences"

Mazaveli
03-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Grigori: I've seen you've already met my, congregation, mwhuhahahaha

FreemanForPrez
03-13-2010, 05:38 PM
"I can't take too long or they'll get suspicious. I'm way behind on my beating quota."
-Barney to Gordon at the beginning in that quaint little torture room.

JgcxCub
03-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Mine would definitely be Dr Breen's speeches. I love the one where he taunts Freeman as the latter goes through the Citadel.
"Well, I am nothing if not pragmatic".
I can't stop using that IRL.

maturin
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Every Breencast is gold.

Otto-Grainer
03-15-2010, 06:20 PM
I agree. Every dialogue is gold, really. I can't pick one because I love and remember them all, and every one that's been picked here has a special place in my mind. A humorous one that comes to mind, however, is:

"Did you hear a Cat just now? That damn thing haunts me..."

Yeah, this is no doubt one of the best lines. Although, to be perfectly, obsessively correct, the exact line is:

"Freeman must excuse us. It is rude of us to commune by flux shifting
in front of those whose vortal inputs are impaired."
"Yes, we will vocalize in your auditory language as a matter of courtesy."
"Unless we wish to say unflattering things about you."
"Just so." :p

And here I thought the "quotebot" was only a myth. ;)
Heh, boy you should have seen me in my old day. Though I believe a better term would be "QuoteCorrectorBot".

P.S. I like colourful quotes. Colourful quotes are important.

crazyboxheadman
03-15-2010, 11:07 PM
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

Otto-Grainer
03-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Of course. Who could forget?

:) Welcome to the Forums :)
crazyboxheadman
λ

Scutchington
03-16-2010, 12:15 PM
"Now... about that beer I owe ya." - Barney, Half-Life 2

"Is Dr. Kleiner really telling everyone to... get busy?" - Alyx Half-Life Ep. 1

"Ah! No pit would be complete without a Freeman climbing out of it!" - Vortigaunt - Half-Life Ep. 2

FreemanForPrez
03-16-2010, 02:02 PM
"Ah! No pit would be complete without a Freeman climbing out of it!" - Vortigaunt - Half-Life Ep. 2

I gotta admit, that one makes me LOL every time I hear it. :D

FoXoF
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in wthe world." Gman - Half-Life 2

"Is Dr. Kleiner really telling everyone to... get busy?" - Alyx Half-Life Ep. 1

NitrousX
03-17-2010, 09:21 AM
"Rise and shine Mr. Freeman, rise and shine."

Hiroshima
03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey Gordon when you see Dr. Breen tell him I said ♥♥♥♥ YOU!

hjman
03-17-2010, 09:57 AM
"You need me..."
"Is it really that time again?"

"We'll see.. about THAT"
"Relay these words: >>Prepare for unforseen consequences<<"

Draim
03-17-2010, 11:47 AM
No pit is complete without a Freeman climbing out of it.

Draim
03-17-2010, 11:47 AM
"Rise and shine Mr. Freeman, rise and shine."

I have that as my SMS signal. ;)

Revolution 9
03-17-2010, 12:44 PM
"Gordan Freeman"

spinky7
03-17-2010, 07:20 PM

That is definitely mine also. For some reason it has been stuck in my head, repeating itself over and over, recently.

gorpie
03-17-2010, 07:52 PM
I have to go with the vort: No pit would be complete without a Freeman climbing out of it!

I think it's only triggered if you climb into the pit (which I don't think has have anything in it), too.

Zekiran
03-17-2010, 08:56 PM
I have to go with the vort: No pit would be complete without a Freeman climbing out of it!

I think it's only triggered if you climb into the pit (which I don't think has have anything in it), too.

I think he says that when you're in the mines heading for the larva, actually.

Scutchington
03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
He says it when there's a lift that crashes and you have to find your way back up to him.

trogdor1424
03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
"Well, end of the line."

That just gave me the feeling that something bad was gonna happen to me.

Fsta-Atls
03-18-2010, 06:24 PM
"Great job, Gordon, flipping that switch and all. I can see your MIT education really pays for itself!" I couldn't stop laughing for such a long time. :D

trojanrabbit.gg
03-18-2010, 10:02 PM
"Its your pet THE FREAKING HEAD HUMPER!:o"

-quote- barney

Asuterisuku
03-19-2010, 02:24 AM
I haven't been through Water Hazard for a while - and this one's a little obscure - But "Faraway eyes control the both of us."(Or something of the like.) That Vortigaunt is either completely demolishing the fourth wall... or he's referring to G-man. :p

japanimater
03-21-2010, 07:55 AM
".................................."
-Gordon Freeman

gmodperson
03-21-2010, 08:34 AM
you are all mad , the best quote is "Sometimes i dream about cheese" spoken by male and female characters.

Dark Energy
03-21-2010, 11:26 AM
"Something secret steers us both. We shall not name it." - All Knowing Vortigaunt

"...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...Impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary!" - Dr. Wallace Breen

gorpie
03-21-2010, 12:25 PM
you are all mad , the best quote is "Sometimes i dream about cheese" spoken by male and female characters.

Until now I never realized that meant something has happened to all the cows and goats (or most of them)... :(

gmodperson
03-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Until now I never realized that meant something has happened to all the cows and goats (or most of them)... :(

I know the only signs of animal life are birds or fish :( , oh another quote "hurry up Gordon , crank that thing"

Hive Mind
03-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Sometimes... I dream about cheese...

gmodperson
03-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Sometimes... I dream about cheese...

Yes another vote for this quote

`dt0x.
03-23-2010, 01:32 PM
<Entire dialogue transcript of the entire game>

The point was to post your favorite. Grats on trying to impress the forums with your ability to listen to the game you played.

Metroidman1
03-23-2010, 01:37 PM
"Sometimes.... I dream about cheese"
-Various Citizens
Well I too dream of cheese. Mmmmmm.... Motzerella.....

terminators cuz
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
"don't drink the water thy put something in it to make you forget it, i dont even remember how i got here"

my fav

gmodperson
03-23-2010, 02:04 PM
"don't drink the water thy put something in it to make you forget it, i dont even remember how i got here"

my fav

how does he remember it was the water , or even there was water.

ElChrisman99
03-23-2010, 02:46 PM
"Great job, Gordon, flipping that switch and all. I can see your MIT education really pays for itself!" I couldn't stop laughing for such a long time. :D

My votes for that :)

XyzKiller
03-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Dr. Breen: "You have chosen, or been chosen...."

That specific quote will forever stick in my mind.

Chucko815
03-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Dr. Breen: "You have chosen, or been chosen...."

That specific quote will forever stick in my mind.

Alot of my memorable quotes are from breen. Like "Welcome. Welcome to city 17."

The one that comes to mind when I think HL2 is "Wake up and smell the ashes."

Schizoid
03-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Pick up that can.

gmodperson
03-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Pick up that can.

"and put it in the trash can"

General Frags
03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
"Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it, exactly, that you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not."

This quote from Breen at the end of the game hit home to me the fact that all Gordon does is shoot and kill, he never once uses his knowledge of science to help people unless its with a crowbar.

gambler
03-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Eli: [to Gordon] I knew that if you two stayed together you could get through anything.
Alyx: Yeah, we make a pretty good team.
Eli: Yeah, well, that's good, now that the suppression field is down... we all have to do our part.
Alyx: [embarrassed] Dad!
Eli: Can you blame an old man for wanting grandkids?

Gordon probably needed to change his HEV suit after hearing that

gorpie
03-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Eli: [to Gordon] I knew that if you two stayed together you could get through anything.
Eli: Yeah, well, that's good, now that the suppression field is down... we all have to do our part.

LOL. I kind of had the same reaction myself. Or I at least rolled my eyes. :)

Chucko815
03-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Well CAN you blame him for wanting grandkids?

gorpie
03-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Well CAN you blame him for wanting grandkids?

No, I don't blame Eli for wanting grandkids. I blame VALVe for practically forcing Alyx on me, though. :p

Metroidman1
03-25-2010, 01:27 PM
"Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it, exactly, that you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not."

This quote from Breen at the end of the game hit home to me the fact that all Gordon does is shoot and kill, he never once uses his knowledge of science to help people unless its with a crowbar.

Yet he has created something. Hope.

Gordon He-Man
03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
No, I don't blame Eli for wanting grandkids. I blame VALVe for practically forcing Alyx on me, though. :p

HOT PIXEL-ON-GIRL ACTION!!!

cwsault
03-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Yet he has created something. Hope.

Heh I recall seeing that in someone's signature on an HL forum. It's such a great response; I like that Gordon doesn't talk but having him respond with "hope" ingame would be kickass.

Most memorable for me would be Breen freaking out as you blow apart the portal. "Go back, Freeman! You have no idea what you are doing! . . . Think, man, think of the people below!"

Though if noises could count as quotes, I'd pick the sound of the sirens echoing around the city (apc_alarm_pass1.wav and scanner_alert_pass1.wav are the best IMO).

gorpie
03-25-2010, 03:28 PM
HOT PIXEL-ON-GIRL ACTION!!!

:rolleyes:

I think you said your wife played HL2? Does she feel like Alyx was pushed on her, too. :)

And ditto about Gordon "creating" hope!

Metroidman1
03-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Heh I recall seeing that in someone's signature on an HL forum. It's such a great response; I like that Gordon doesn't talk but having him respond with "hope" ingame would be kickass.

Most memorable for me would be Breen freaking out as you blow apart the portal. "Go back, Freeman! You have no idea what you are doing! . . . Think, man, think of the people below!"

Though if noises could count as quotes, I'd pick the sound of the sirens echoing around the city (apc_alarm_pass1.wav and scanner_alert_pass1.wav are the best IMO).

:rolleyes:

I think you said your wife played HL2? Does she feel like Alyx was pushed on her, too. :)

And ditto about Gordon "creating" hope!

Only way he would have said it if he had a sign. Breen asks him what he has created and he just stands there... with a sign... it says hope. Then he proceeds to blast Breen out of existance.

seseorang
03-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Eli: Yeah, well, that's good, now that the suppression field is down... (http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/91270778-4.jpg) we all have to do our part. (http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/91270823-4.jpg)

Just some screenshots I took when playing a couple weeks ago. Two links there with captions :cool:

seseorang
03-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Anyone who's anyone knows what this is about (http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/91270849-4.jpg) OK - so it's Half-Life 2: Episode 2

Hiroshima
03-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Anyone who's anyone knows what this is about (http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/91270849-4.jpg) OK - so it's Half-Life 2: Episode 2

Gordon made a casserole explode in HL1.

Triple Cow
03-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Secret Vortigaunt yet. It's a little hard to understand what he says because of his dialect, but reading it on Wikiquote... that ♥♥♥♥'s deep...

We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous. There is no distance between us. No false veils of time or space may intervene. We see you still in Black Mesa. Clearly we see you in the Nihilanth's chamber. We bear witness to the bright eternity of the Nihilanth's demise. You leap, you fall, we see you flash beyond the barriers. We are there still, in observance of your final stroke. While our own lay scattered at your feet, you severed the vortal cord that bound the Nihilanth to life, and to us. That sharp spur of hope has not dulled to this day. For once the lesser master lay defeated, we knew the greater must also fall in time

For a brief time you joined with us. You are one. Between the worlds. Communion of the Vortessence. And that other: a deeper mystery. No deeper than the void itself. We cannot forget those whose cords you cut. Forgiveness is not ours to bestow. Unity of purpose, the shattering of common shackles, a single road we tread. Your song we sing and shall sing for eternity. No matter the consequences of this struggle. You have brought us grief and jubilation beyond measure. With you beside us, a talisman of victory, the day of freedom draws nigh.

Your bright face obscures your darker mask. We call you sib, although your mind and meaning are a mystery to us. Far distant eyes look out through yours. Something secret steers us both. We shall not name it. We have endured these chafing bonds for eons, yet a single moment of further servitude seems intolerable! How often have we slipped our yoke, only to find it choking us again. Let this war end in either total victory or our extinction. No further compromise shall we allow. We take our stand beside you, here, upon this miserable rock.

The way ahead is dark for the moment. What seems to you a sacrifice is merely, to us, an oscillation. We do not fear the interval of darkness. We are a tapestry woven of Vortessence. It is the same for you if only you would see it. How many are there in you? Whose hopes and dreams do you encompass? Could you but see the eyes inside your own, the minds in your mind, you would see how much we share. We are you, Freeman. And you are us.

Zekiran
03-25-2010, 06:25 PM
It's actually not even just that vort that says those things. If you click on the vortigaunt that installs the cannon on the airboat, he says them all too. And, you don't have to get half-dead on the way and back out from him. ;)

Triple Cow
03-25-2010, 06:43 PM
I know. But it's alot cooler when heard around a small campfire in a dark cave in the middle of nowhere lol

gorpie
03-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Gordon made a casserole explode in HL1.

My Gordon didn't. But that's 'cause my Gordon didn't try (the idjit). ;)

Zekiran
03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Maybe YOUR Gordon didn't and disappointed Magnussen because he'd hired Gordon to sabotage another scientist's lunch... ;)

seseorang
03-25-2010, 09:31 PM
OK, so Gordon may have degrees in science, but it looks like he can't cook :)

Zekiran
03-25-2010, 10:06 PM
He's a bachelor and a scientist, I couldn't imagine he would know anything other than chemistry :)

MazzaTheFirst
03-26-2010, 01:51 AM
"Now put it in the Trash Can."

"All right, you can go. Hehehe."

gorpie
03-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Maybe YOUR Gordon didn't and disappointed Magnussen because he'd hired Gordon to sabotage another scientist's lunch... ;)

Clever. :D

pash1k
03-26-2010, 08:44 AM
He's a bachelor and a scientist, I couldn't imagine he would know anything other than chemistry :)

He's a physicist ...

Zekiran
03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
He's a physicist ...

Physicists qualify as scientists, do they not? And, um.... physicists do still need to know plenty of chemistry. They just don't necessarily build their careers around it.

gorpie
03-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Physicists qualify as scientists, do they not? And, um.... physicists do still need to know plenty of chemistry. They just don't necessarily build their careers around it.

LOL Zekiran.

(I hate to say it, but if he were a chemist, Gordon might have been an excellent cook. :p)

Zekiran
03-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't know that I would trust a chemist to cook normal food. :) It seems like a very quirky, sitcom-like talent that a professional chemist might be excellent at cooking but they always describe the food in the chemical terms and confuse the crap out of their friends.

On topic:

"They sure don't TASTE like crab."

pash1k
03-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Quoted text said that Gordon wouldn't know anything other than chemistry. Pretty sure that physicists know something other than chemistry. That's all.

Zekiran
03-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Quoted text said that Gordon wouldn't know anything other than chemistry. Pretty sure that physicists know something other than chemistry. That's all.

Quote referred to 'scientists'.

tippy25
03-26-2010, 07:45 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/2949864845_94255a7e2a_o.jpg

credit to bjornolsson for the photo (I wish [img] tags were enabled)

killermaniac2
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
My fave was when breen said:
"Tell me Dr. Freeman if you can, you have destroyed so much, what is it exactly that you have created, can you name even one thing? ... I though not."

Pata De Loro
03-29-2010, 02:03 AM
I met Odessa Cubbage once. What an idiot.

ruthlessebk
03-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Prepare for unforeseen circumstances

SupremeSoviet
03-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Same as Killermaniac.

"Tell me, Doctor Freeman, if you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing? ...I thought not."
- Breen

R.I.P. Robert Culp

The rebels say some damn humourous things. ;D

TheDaringPastry
03-29-2010, 03:25 PM
"Its your pet THE FRICKING HEADHUMPER!!" barney right before you get teliported with lamar.

Chucko815
03-29-2010, 04:45 PM
"Time? Dr. Freeman? Is it really that time again?"

damonstein
03-29-2010, 07:25 PM
"can you feel it?" - rebels

gambler
03-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Griggs: I think we misunderestimated!

super31
03-29-2010, 08:51 PM
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the diffrence in the world."-Gman.

ninotoreS
03-30-2010, 10:35 AM
"Great job, Gordon! Throwing that switch and all, I can see your MIT education really pays for itself."

-Barney Calhoun

For me, the best quote in the series, because it's the first and so far the only time Half-Life has tacitly acknowledged how completely ridiculous Dr. Gordo the Commando Quantum Physicist is as a character.

FreemanForPrez
03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
"Great job, Gordon! Throwing that switch and all, I can see your MIT education really pays for itself."

-Barney Calhoun

For me, the best quote in the series, because it's the first and so far the only time Half-Life has tacitly acknowledged how completely ridiculous Dr. Gordo the Commando Quantum Physicist is as a character.

Not entirely, because in Nova Prospekt, as he makes his way through the prison, you can hear Breen saying over the intercom to the Sector Seventeen Overwatch:

"This is not some agent provocateur or highly trained assassin we are discussing. Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist who had barely earned the distinction of his Ph.D. at the time of the Black Mesa Incident. I have good reason to believe that in the intervening years, he was in a state that precluded further development of covert skills."
SOURCE (http://www.hlfallout.net/topic/24251-complete-transcripts-of-all-of-breens-speeches/)

That entire speech also being one of my favorite HL 2 moments/quotes - I always make sure I hang out in that room long enough to hear it in its entirety. ;)

gambler
03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I have good reason to believe that in the intervening years, he was in a state that precluded further development of covert skills."

So Breen knows Gordon was in stasis? That changes a lot!

AguyinaRPG
03-30-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't think he knows complete particulars, as that sentence just means he was gone for a really long time and might have been training. Of course not though. He's just well-rested and MIT brains.

Alex4Life
03-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Time.. Dr Freeman?

Is it reaaly that time again..?

minilandstan
03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Poor lazlo
He was the finest of his generation

Legoshoes
03-31-2010, 07:55 AM
"Tell me, Doctor Freeman, if you can: you have destroyed so much... what is it, exactly, that you have created? Can you name even one thing?! I thought not."

Ah, Breen...

FreemanForPrez
03-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Ah, Breen...

Yeah, it's a good thing that Gordon killed him in the Citadel - now that Robert Culp has died, I wouldn't be able to accept a Breen with a different voice.

Not that it matters much, since there's never going to be an Episode 3 or Half Life 3 anyway, as long as it's more profitable to make mindless and repetetive zombie killing games. ;)

At least I'm assuming that Breen actually died in that explosion...

damonstein
03-31-2010, 01:40 PM
even if he did survive and was in a host body he would sound like whatever host body he was in.

stereophonical
03-31-2010, 01:45 PM
"Rise and shine Mr. Freeman, rise and shine"

Seriously, that's the only quote can remember from HL2 so there's not a lot of competition for me.

General_Bays
04-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Citizen at an outpost in the sewers, the one that you save from the manhacks-

"Be thankful you're not the one they are looking for. That poor bastard doesn't stand a chance."

Captain Odessa-

"(Speech on RPG to rebels)... Who would like to volunteer? Ah, Gordan Freeman,..."

Vortigan in Ep 2, after falling down a pit-

"What is the Freeman hoping to find down there? The great Freeman surly leaves no path unexplored."

Dr. Kleiner, Barney, and Alyx-

Dr.K: "... couldn't be more ideal!"
B: "That's what you said last time. I still have nightmares about that cat."
A: "What cat?"
Dr.K: "We have made great strides since then."
A: "What cat? Hey w...(weird distortion of whoa)."

Barney-

"Did you just hear a cat? That thing still haunts me."

G-Man-

"Prepare for unforeseen consequences."

Father Gregori-

"(Fading Laughter)"

Inimical_rize
04-01-2010, 05:18 AM
''The last thing they remember is a crowbar heading toward them down a steel corridor.'' (Something along them lines) - Gman

Highway Chile
04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
most memorable ?

the one when gordon said:

B3D4
04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Best one?
G-Man:
"Wake up and smell the ashes..."

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 01:27 PM
"You have destroyed so much. What is it you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not."

^^That is definitely one of my favorites. It really centralizes on one of the main themes of the entire series.

G-Man, to Alyx:

That really smacked me in the face the first time I heard it. Best moment in the entire series, for me.

InfiniVide
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
I love all of the G-Man monologues, but his speech in Episode 2 is the one that most interests me. It's probably the least cryptic thing that he has ever said.

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah, that was a surprisingly thorough explanation.

InfiniVide
04-06-2010, 06:57 PM
^^That is definitely one of my favorites. It really centralizes on one of the main themes of the entire series.

G-Man, to Alyx:

That really smacked me in the face the first time I heard it. Best moment in the entire series, for me.

I'm so glad I remembered "Unforeseen Consequences" as being the title of the chapter immediately following the resonance cascade in Half-Life. So that moment where he says it to Alyx...that floored me. :P

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Exactly! That's why it was so ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ awesome. :D

It just really reminds you of when ♥♥♥♥ hit the fan, oh so many years ago. :)

D3N1ZFTW
04-10-2010, 04:53 AM
Man of a few words, aren't ya?

Dr. Headcrab
04-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Sometimes, I dream about cheese.
This text here is just so it says my post is at least 5 chars.

gorpie
04-10-2010, 12:07 PM
This text here is just so it says my post is at least 5 chars.

10chars :)

slipperywhenwet
04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
"This is the Freeman. The Combine's reckoning has come"

that or Eli's lines in the ep2 trailer. epic. you know what its Eli's lines then the vorts line about gordon bringing the combines reckoning.

Zekiran
04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
10chars :)

it might be 10 for folks with lower post count. I noticed mine went to 5, recently.

gorpie
04-10-2010, 07:54 PM
it might be 10 for folks with lower post count. I noticed mine went to 5, recently.

They might have changed it to 5 for everyone, since Dr. Headcrab only has 28 posts...

Geez, the people who've been here for awhile are still going to go "10chars" and the newbies are going to think we're dorks. Oh well. :)

FreemanForPrez
04-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Huh?
5char
;)

Xia
04-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Dr. Kleiner: "We can't leave without Lamarr. She's around here somewhere"
Alyx: "Come on Dr. Kleiner we can find you another pet headcrab."
Dr. Kleiner: "There's only one Hedy!"

And of course...

Barney: "And if you see Dr. Breen, tell him I said f*** you!"

Huntbassador
04-11-2010, 10:30 AM
"pick up that can"

surfrock22
04-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Eli, talking about destroying the Borealis. Don't remember the exact quote, but I loved it.

Holy Toaster
04-11-2010, 10:39 AM
"...And the ones that do arrive...Th-they never leave! You never see them go! They're always full, n-no-one ever gets on! They're always departing but they never arrive..."

FreemanForPrez
04-11-2010, 11:40 AM
"pick up that can"

I always pick it up and throw it at him, then run away until he stops chasing. I do that over and over again until I get tired of it, but I WILL NOT throw it in the trash just because he says so. ;)

mimaz98
04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I quite think that the ending to Half-Life 2 left a lasting impression. G-Man delivers some cryptic wording to you in the opening, without giving you any real direction, but puts you on the right path and subtly directs you to where he wants you to go. Half-life 2 lasts for three days, and all you see of G-Man since that time you first had direct contact with him in the opening, is brief glances of him walking into the distance. Three days is just long enough to lull you into this sense of false security – long enough to forget the control he has over you. Caught in the moment of stopping Breen it just totally catches you off guard completely, and you're right back where you were in the beginning. It's very clever and very subtle.

Eli, talking about destroying the Borealis. Don't remember the exact quote, but I loved it.

I'm a quote specialist. :p

"Gordon, hold up a second. The more I think about that warning from our friend, the more I'm convinced it has to do with Borealis. Don't be deceived. That ship must never be used. You've got to destroy it, whatever the cost.

Actually, given the challenge, I'm quietly confident that I could re-write the entire script from memory.

Ralexand
04-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Poor lazlo
He was the finest of his generation

Haha yeah, that was so awesome, I lol'd about that. Even if it's so tragic. Poor Laszlo indeed.

"Dear God! Poor Laszlo! The finest mind of his generation, come to such an end!"

But the best quote didn't made it into the final game :(

"Remember when we thought Black Mesa was as bad as it could get?" and then Barney starts to shoot the hell out of the Metrocops. :D

Flamma Man
04-24-2010, 10:02 PM
"We now have direct confirmation of a disruptor in our midst, one who has acquired an almost messianic reputation in the minds of certain citizens. His figure is synonymous with the darkest urges of instinct, ignorance and decay. Some of the worst excesses of the Black Mesa Incident have been laid directly at his feet. And yet unsophisticated minds continue to imbue him with romantic power, giving him such dangerous poetic labels as the One Free Man, the Opener of the Way. Let me remind all citizens of the dangers of magical thinking. We have scarcely begun to climb from the dark pit of our species' evolution. Let us not slide backward into oblivion, just as we have finally begun to see the light. If you see this so-called Free Man, report him. Civic deeds do not go unrewarded. And contrariwise, complicity with his cause will not go unpunished. Be wise. Be safe. Be aware. "

- Dr. Wallace Breen

From then on, I knew Dr. Breen wanted me died.

phillipjfry6
04-24-2010, 10:39 PM
"I don't miss Dr. Breen, but I do miss his show. Remember when he had jugglers on?"

surfrock22
04-24-2010, 10:52 PM
"I seem to be seriously wounded."

slipperywhenwet
04-24-2010, 11:47 PM
"I don't miss Dr. Breen, but I do miss his show. Remember when he had jugglers on?"

XD i remembver that.

I didnt start hearing them until i fell into that pit with zombies and realized there was a door. (the other playthroughs i staked stuff up like the book shelf and stuff, guess i was jut being clever... or stupid) i heard them through the crack in thw floor. i felt like a spy... or a peeping tom :-\.

phillipjfry6
04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
XD i remembver that.

I didnt start hearing them until i fell into that pit with zombies and realized there was a door. (the other playthroughs i staked stuff up like the book shelf and stuff, guess i was jut being clever... or stupid) i heard them through the crack in thw floor. i felt like a spy... or a peeping tom :-\.
Yeah, I also stacked stuff to get out, but only to get some ammo, and then jump back in, and found out about that conversation.

Notice how to rebels use terms like "How 'bout this weather?" and then pauses, waiting for the other one to talk.

zelda_man222
04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
"watch out for the 'headhumpers' Gordon" ~Barney

SickMinder
04-25-2010, 09:42 AM
What do they say in the end of HL2? When everything freezes. Anyway, G-man's whole end speech.

I get chills just thinking about it.

joeylawn
04-25-2010, 12:18 PM
"Longer if we're Lucky"

- Barney, in reference to Lamarr going into hiding for a long time.

:D

And in the citadel, just before you face off against a Strider, Breen says something about "we even haven't caught a Glimpse", I always reply, "GLIMPSE THIS!"

surfrock22
04-25-2010, 12:23 PM
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

joeylawn
04-25-2010, 12:26 PM
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the diff -er -ence in the world."

fixed it 4 ya. :D

Luroberto
04-25-2010, 01:25 PM
"The only thing the knew of humans was a CROW-bar flying at them down a steel corridor."
Damn.
Just love it.

Also everything in Portal.

gorpie
04-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Much of what GLaDOS says is golden--but it's not HL2... :)

ThatoneJeff
04-25-2010, 03:25 PM
"DOCTOR FREEMAN I AM COMING WITH YOU."
I always try to avoid this guy.

gorpie
04-25-2010, 03:27 PM
"DOCTOR FREEMAN I AM COMING WITH YOU."
I always try to avoid this guy.

I always try to run away from the ones who way that (female NPCs do, too), but it never works... :( ;)

Sable_shadow
05-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Quote:
[Originally Posted by TeleProd

It's the one that's been burned into my mind.]

me to as well. also "Did I not tell you to seek the church?":D

aslo: "what cat?"

Sable_shadow
05-23-2010, 05:18 PM
my favorite quote is in the opening comentary track by gabe newel in episode 1 where he states that they are releasing episodes hoping to be able to release new content quicker.....fast forward three years......

that doesn't count!

Internetianer
05-23-2010, 05:45 PM
"Griggs: Sheckley!
Sheckley: What?
Griggs: SCECKLEY!
Sheckley: WHAT?:o
Griggs: Ahh forget it."

How much i love HL2EP2 ^^

ArBee
05-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Hey Gordon if you see Dr. Breen tell him I said ♥♥♥♥ YOU

seseorang
05-23-2010, 08:34 PM
First section with the manhacks; "You should be lucky it's not you they're after!" lol - if only he knew

ry8an25oliver93
05-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Agreed.

Luroberto
06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
The place where you have to open a gate for the boat to get through, and there is a Breencast, I always sit in the chair and watch it.
It's fun.

Holy Toaster
06-05-2010, 01:14 PM
"No matter how many times I've been relocated I-I never get...used to it..."

Really sets the tone of the environment on the spot.

surfrock22
06-05-2010, 01:23 PM
"It's your pet, the freakin' HEADHUMPER!"

ChosenOne54
06-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Mine was:
"Tell me Dr. Freeman, if you can; you have destroyed so much. What is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not."

asahdeaf
06-05-2010, 01:24 PM
"I descend!" - Victory Mine Vortigaunt

This was in Episode 2 right before you get the Antlion Larvel Extract. He says this while he's riding the elevator. It cracked me up. In Half-Life 2, though, it has to be:

"Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can: you have destroyed so much — what is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing? ... I thought not." - Dr. Wallace Breen

surfrock22
06-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Wow, coincidence?

shresht93
06-05-2010, 01:58 PM
All the breencasts and GMan monologues were amazing.

Great acting by the late voice actor who played Dr. Breen. "...when we have just begun to see the light?" was pretty nice imo

G-Man's monologue in episode 2 was pretty good too.

So was Eli's "Now that the suppression field is down ...", and Alyx's facial reaction to it.

And the aprt where dog shakes his head abuot not doing the math

Lots of memorable things in the game.

ChosenOne54
06-05-2010, 02:10 PM
I like threads like these :)
I'd give the OP Rep if he wasn't banned lol

shresht93
06-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I liked the AR3/AR2 joke in Episode 2

I like the way they show how rebels still have some humanity in them

_'M
06-05-2010, 02:21 PM

HOPE, Dr Breen, HOPE. I always wind up yelling at the game about then. It makes me want to send a portal to Rapture and swipe one of Ryan's golf clubs, and smack Breen upside the head with it.

HA! I don't eremember this one? When/who is this said (by)?

shresht93
06-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Just before you get the bugbait :P

_'M
06-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't know that I would trust a chemist to cook normal food. :) It seems like a very quirky, sitcom-like talent that a professional chemist might be excellent at cooking but they always describe the food in the chemical terms and confuse the crap out of their friends.

On topic:

"They sure don't TASTE like crab."

AAARRRRGGGHHHHHH
SOOOO STUPID!!!:o
That would so be in a sitcom... and make me rage...

Kavinsky
06-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Watch for the headhumpers Gordon!

Solar Schystem
06-06-2010, 01:04 AM
I love it when Alyx says: 'Maybe we have...' and then the G-man comes and finishes it with 'Time, Dr. Freeman?'

Alixey
06-06-2010, 07:31 AM
This one
"And if you see Dr.Breen, tell him I said F**K YOU!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKyPfjTaUo8

jeanlain
06-06-2010, 07:36 AM
"Then let's do it"
I love how Alyx says that.

David-B-737
06-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Is it really that time again, It seems as if you only just arrived.

mmatique
06-06-2010, 08:14 AM
i am just fascinated with the g-man.
love everything he says. especially the beginning of the game

JackSkull
06-06-2010, 10:35 AM
"Do he just tell eveyone to get...to get busy?"

ĞMλRCOğ
06-06-2010, 10:55 AM
"Sometimes, i dream about cheese"

Mendozacheers
06-06-2010, 12:30 PM
"Wake up, Mr Freeman, wake up and smell the ashes"

trenmost
06-06-2010, 12:42 PM
"hey Freeman! I'm coming with you!"

"Wait for me Freeman!"

"*Shotgun fire*"

"Argghhh!!! *citizen dies*"

surfrock22
06-06-2010, 01:01 PM
"Limiittttttlessssssss potenttttttttialllllll"

seseorang
06-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Eli: You know, now that the suppression field is down,[Looks to Alyx] we all have to do do our part!
Alyx: DAD!! [Holds hand over face in embarrassment]
Eli: You can't blame an old man for wanting gradkids

Alyx: [To Gordon] Got room for two in there?

Barney: [To Isaac] You mean it's working? For real this time. Cos I still have nightmares about that cat
Alyx: What cat?
[In the telporter] Alyx: Uh, yeah. About that cat!

Rebel after Gordon dies: Dibs on the suit!

seseorang
06-06-2010, 04:03 PM
HA! I don't eremember this one? When/who is this said (by)?

The Vortiguants say this when you're in their camp after taking out your first Ant-Lion Guard.

Srgtbahn
06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Prepare for unforseen consequences

The right man in the wrong place can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world

Barney as you cross the bridge (Alyx goes first) in half life 2, "Go on Gordon, she's waiting for you on the other side, you lucky dog you." made me chuckle

Any of Sheckley and the other guys arguements especially when Sheckley says something I can't quite remember as you ascend the elevator with Alyx. Then the other dude says "what the hell does that mean?" "I dunno, sounds like something the vorts would say"

"Ahhh poor Lazlo, the finest mind of our generation"

The Zombine joke

nightcabbage
06-07-2010, 01:55 PM
"You have destroyed so much. What is it you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not."

I believe this is central to Half-Life and a commentary on games and the "gaming hero" in general. It is the line I remember most often and is inherently tied to the entirety of the story.

Ghostbreed
06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
everything gordon says ofc

CrAzY_NuTtA
06-07-2010, 03:25 PM
From Ep2, the vortigaunts chanting there stuff. This line was from the EP2 trailer, and has always been memorable.

"This is more than anyone can bear...but we will persevere" The way they say it is epic.

adz
06-07-2010, 06:09 PM
"Now, about that beer I owed you. It's me Gordan Barney, from Black Mesa"

Commander132
06-08-2010, 06:24 AM
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world...."

Solar Schystem
06-08-2010, 07:06 AM
"Now, about that beer I owed you. It's me Gordan Barney, from Black Mesa"

Who's Gordan Barney?

FuuKuy
06-08-2010, 08:01 AM
"Wake up Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes."

Ghostbreed
06-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Who's Gordan Barney?
i lol'd.

surfrock22
06-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Who's Gordan Barney?

Haha, nice.

lawlzomg
06-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Who's Gordan Barney?

:'D...

surfrock22
06-08-2010, 12:51 PM
New meme? :p

DirectVic
06-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Half-Life Full Life Consequences 4: Vengence of Gordan Barney

g859
06-08-2010, 01:11 PM
"Dr. Freeeeeeeman, I realize this moment may not be the most convenient for a...heart to heart.."

"Prepare for unforseen..consequences"

Both are from EP2, epic.

seseorang
06-08-2010, 02:17 PM
"Now, about that beer I owed you. It's me Gordon, Barney, from Black Mesa"

/fixed :)

erb1054
06-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Prepare for unforseen consequences

Any of Sheckley and the other guys arguements especially when Sheckley says something I can't quite remember as you ascend the elevator with Alyx. Then the other dude says "what the hell does that mean?" "I dunno, sounds like something the vorts would say"

This is how it goes:

"Okay Freeman be adequate"
"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"
"I dunno sounds like something the vorts would say"

Ghostbreed
06-08-2010, 04:28 PM
/fixed :)
NOOO, YOU BROKE IT :(:(:(

SanchoKobe
06-08-2010, 05:30 PM
I haven't read through the entire thread yet, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but...

"When all this is over? I'm gonna mate."

Does it strike anyone else as odd that at the beginning of HL2, Gman refers to Gordon as "Mr. Freeman", but from then on, he always calls him "Dr. Freeman"? Gordon was always a doctor!

SKiLLY2
06-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Dr. Breen's voice actor was so awesome. He brought so much life to the character.

greenman19
06-08-2010, 05:44 PM
"If you dare say that's gotta' hurt, I'll kill you."

"He's done this before, he'll be ok."

erb1054
06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
"If you dare say that's gotta' hurt, I'll kill you."

When was this said?

greenman19
06-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Rebels sometimes say it when you die, as well as the other line.

erb1054
06-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Wow I've never heard that before neither of them

SanchoKobe
06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Dr. Breen's voice actor was so awesome. He brought so much life to the character.

Yeah, Robert Culp was great. Sad that he passed away earlier this year. :(

Srgtbahn
06-08-2010, 07:04 PM
This is how it goes:

"Okay Freeman be adequate"
"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"
"I dunno sounds like something the vorts would say"

Yeah that's it lol...just the way the guy says what the hell does that mean was funny to me.

Father Gigori from Ravenholm was pretty good too, espceially his hearty laugh

Zekiran
06-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I haven't read through the entire thread yet, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but...

"When all this is over? I'm gonna mate."

And generally the girl with him usually says "and that's enough out of YOU."

goldrunout
06-09-2010, 05:34 AM
"Time, Mister Freeman?". This is awesome. but if i consider also episode2 i would say "No pit would be complete without a Freeman climbing out of it" and the gman monologue

Zekiran
06-09-2010, 10:41 AM
I think by the end, he does say "Time, Doctor Freeman?" not mister. It did change by then I'm pretty sure.

FozzeY
06-09-2010, 10:47 AM
"We'll see... about that".

Friggin' awesome.

Karva
06-09-2010, 01:43 PM
"What cat?" is clearly the best quote.

ZincAzN
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
"My gut!" -Different rebels when they got shot below the stomach or a little under the stomach :3

surfrock22
06-09-2010, 02:44 PM
"This is where I get off"

FreemanForPrez
06-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't know about "most memorable", but it's at least funny, and a great example of Valve humor in action:
In Nova Prospekt, when Alyx and Gordon find Judith Mossman, Alyx says to Gordon,
"There she is. Leave the talking to me..." :D

greenman19
06-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't know about "most memorable", but it's at least funny, and a great example of Valve humor in action:
In Nova Prospekt, when Alyx and Gordon find Judith Mossman, Alyx says to Gordon,
"There she is. Leave the talking to me..." :D

LOL, totally forgot that one, classic.
+1 Rep cookie.

miklkit
06-09-2010, 06:47 PM
The book "Timeline" By Michael Chrichton (1999) is about time travel, in a weird quantum physics sorta way. (No one understands quantum physics). When they are developing their uh phone booths (yeah that's it) they use a cat at first. It gets "split". It is pretty ugly.

"what cat?"

That cat.

JBBooks
06-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Well, so much for Dr. Freeman.

-random rebel npc after Gordon gets offed.

HeyItsFree
06-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Well this is from HL1 but I have no idea how you could not forget it.

"Good morning, and welcome to the Black Mesa Transit System. This automated train is provided for the security and convenience of the Black Mesa Research Facility personnel. The time is eight-forty seven A.M... Current outside temperature is ninety three degrees with an estimated high of one hundred and five. The Black Mesa compound is maintained at a pleasant sixty-eight degrees at all times. This train is inbound from Level Three dormitories to Sector C Test Labs and Control Facilities. If your intended destination is a high security area beyond Sector C, you will need to return to the Central Transit hub in Area Nine and board a high security train. If you have not yet submitted your identity to the retinal clearance system, you must report to Black Mesa personel for processing before you will be permitted into the high security branch of the transit system. Due to the high toxicity of material routinely handled in the Black Mesa compound, no smoking, eating, or drinking are permitted within the Black Mesa Transit System. Please keep you limbs inside the train at all times. Do not attempt to open the doors until the train has come to a complete halt at the station platform. In the event of an emergency, passengers are to remain seated and await further instruction. If it is necessary to exit the train, disabled personnel should be evacuated first. Please, stay away from electrified rails, and proceed to an emergency station until assistance arrives. A reminder that the Black Mesa Hazard Course decathlon will commence this evening at 1900 hours in the Level Three facility. The semi-finals for high security personnel will be announced in a separate secure access transmission. Remember, more lives than your own may depend on your fitness. Do you have a friend or relative who make a valuable addition to the Black Mesa team? Immediate openings are available in the areas of "Materials Handling" and "Low Clearance Security." Please contact Black Mesa personnel for further information. If you have an associate with a background in the areas of "Theoretical Physics," "Biotechnology," or other high-tech disciplines, please contact our civilian recruitment division. The Black Mesa Research Facility is an equal-opportunity employer. A reminder to all Black Mesa personnel: Regular radiation and biohazard screenings are a requirement of continued employment in the Black Mesa Research Facility. Missing a scheduled urinalisys or radiation check-up is grounds for immediate termination. If you feel you have been exposed to radioactive or other hazardous materials in the course of your duties, contact your radiation safety officer immediately. Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it. Now arriving at Sector C Test Labs and Control Facilities. Please stand back from the automated door and wait for the security officer to verify your identity. Before exiting the train, be sure to check your area for personal belongings. Thank you, and have a very safe, and productive day."

Man, if we could have words like that before every time we had to fight for our lives and the fate of humanity...

prd3d132
06-09-2010, 07:17 PM
I am not even going to tell you to shutup-rebel in half life 2 episode 1

nightcabbage
06-10-2010, 06:28 AM
"Good morning, and welcome to the Black Mesa Transit System."

I bet this is the most heard line of most HL fans.

DirectVic
06-10-2010, 06:33 AM
The book "Timeline" By Michael Chrichton (1999) is about time travel, in a weird quantum physics sorta way. (No one understands quantum physics). When they are developing their uh phone booths (yeah that's it) they use a cat at first. It gets "split". It is pretty ugly.

"what cat?"

That cat.

Hehe, that cat. By split you mean split in half vertically? I guess that could be an inspiration for the cat in-game, especially with the 1958 film The Fly having a cat being lost between two teleports, and the baboon replacing it in the 1986 remake being turned into a deformed, dying monstrosity.

Old sounds from the development of HL2 also hinted that the cat became so deformed that it had to be turned right side-out again just to make sure it still was a cat, while the achievement "What cat?" hints that it was completely disintegrated.

But I digress, I tend to deviate a lot.

Smertnik
06-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Sometimes I dream about cheese..

Taliesin
06-10-2010, 07:42 AM
"What next in the parade of constant interruptions?"

You hear your fellow Vortigaunt saying so when he follows you, and then, when Magnusson used the same phrase again, I laughed hard.
It really makes you understand ALOT about the vortigaunts, since they must've been taught language and uses right by himself.

miklkit
06-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Hehe, that cat. By split you mean split in half vertically? I guess that could be an inspiration for the cat in-game, especially with the 1958 film The Fly having a cat being lost between two teleports, and the baboon replacing it in the 1986 remake being turned into a deformed, dying monstrosity.

Old sounds from the development of HL2 also hinted that the cat became so deformed that it had to be turned right side-out again just to make sure it still was a cat, while the achievement "What cat?" hints that it was completely disintegrated.

But I digress, I tend to deviate a lot.

It was more like it got chopped into pieces and then put back together again, but the different pieces didn't quite match up anymore. It lived but became vicious from brain damage.

gmodperson
06-20-2010, 03:47 PM
" " - Gordon Freeman , 2004

bladerunner67
06-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Alyx Vance: Gordon, you know what'd be cool? Actually, I can't think of anything cooler than what just happened. Think it's dead? Maybe you should whack it with the crowbar just in case.

EnsignBlue
06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
This is from Episode 2, but my favourite quote of the whole series is "Freeman! Be... adequate!" It's like my life motto now. :p

But if I have to choose from just HL2, I'd say the speech Breen makes in the train centre after his welcome speech. Absolutely mesmerizing propaganda that truly makes you think.

NinjaFang
06-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Basically anything Dr. Breen says. He has a good script and he has a good voice actor that really brings the character out.

TO PortalStorm
06-20-2010, 08:10 PM
"...And if you see Dr.Breen, tell him I said, ♥♥♥♥ you!"

Luroberto
07-09-2010, 10:23 PM
"You better hurry up Gordon, you lucky dog you!"

wiggdogga
07-09-2010, 10:57 PM
whenever im being an ultimate badass, i can just imagine freeman yelling 'YEAH IM GORDON MOTHER♥♥♥♥ING FREEMAN'

I love every quote by the g-man, its so creepy and disturbing. I like the line at the start of ep 1 'well....we'll see..about THAT' when the vorts are keeping him away

CortTy
07-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Alyx: Mrarraaaooowraaarrrr...
Gordon: Turns and looks at Alyx with flashlight pointing at her.
Alyx: Haha! I got ya!

Barney: Watch out for those head-humpers, Gordon!

Rebel: Sometimes, I dream about cheese...

HEV Suit: Serious wounds detected... Applying Morphine. (Or something to that effect :P)

GMan: Prepare, for unforseen consequences...

GMan: Well... We'll see, about THAT.

Dr. Breen: Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can... You have destroyed so much. What is it, exactly, that you have created? Can you name even one thing? ...I thought not.

And, of course..
Zombie: YABBAAA! YABBA MY ICING!

mimaz98
07-11-2010, 08:01 PM
"Tell me Dr. Freeman, if you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing?..

...I thought not"

Brilliance.

surfrock22
07-11-2010, 08:05 PM
And, as an answer, I would remark:

"Power."

Manmade3
07-11-2010, 09:41 PM
You said memorable, not good so it would have to be, unfortunately

"ITS GORDAN FREEMAN!"