PDA

View Full Version : Gmod 10 takes way too long to load...

Qdelta
03-12-2010, 03:50 AM
I don't know what's up with it. There is something like only a 16% level of fragmentation, and I recently reinstalled it all together, as well as a lot of my old models and maps and stuff and it still takes 5 plus minutes to load. Could it be some of my models, weapons, maps/whateverthat's causing the problem?

Like, I get the little "preparing to launch garry's mod" box for about five minutes, once that's done, the game loads like normal. How can I fix this?

And edit: I've defragged the files and it did not fix the problem.

michael89
03-12-2010, 05:14 AM
The more you have content in gmod, the longer it will load.

CaptainDingo
03-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Personally, I have about 2.2 gigabytes of add-ons (total size of my add-on folder). But the "Preparing to launch" process only takes about 56 seconds (I just timed it). I'm pretty sure the launching process isn't affected by your add-ons, just how long it takes to load when you create a game and stuff like that.

I've found that when someone is torrenting something or my internet is running slow for any other random reason, it makes my "Preparing to launch" window take a long time; I'm pretty sure while it's doing that, it's doing something internet-related. So it's probably something internet-related causing it to take forever to launch.

That's about all I can think of.

It's also possible it's bound by your computer's speed. I know a lot of GMod users have slow computers; personally I've got a good gaming PC, so it's never been a problem.

michael89
03-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Speaking the devil, Qdelta, you forgot to tell your specs.
If possible, could you also tell your HDD's model?

If it's IDE HDD, that is one of the reasons, why gmod takes a while to load.
(IDE is nowadays pretty much the slowest channel, that HDD can use.)

Qdelta
03-13-2010, 01:39 AM
It's actually on my laptop, which is perfectly reasonable for Gmod... Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb of RAM, Nvidia 9600GT, and I honestly wouldn't have a clue about the hard drive, but I doubt it's the problem because this just started happening recently, and I've run Gmod on much older computers than mine.

I'll look into the internet thing, often my dad is downloading at rediculous speeds, but not all the time.

p1cwh0r3
03-13-2010, 01:51 AM
Defragment your game files! Clean up any unwanted addons you may have, If you have any svn's look at downloading them out of the addons folder then exporting them into it, delete your garrysmod/cache/dua (anything in the dua folder, remove).

See how that goes from there. Oh also, as a side note, once you clean out the dua folder the first time you join a server it'll re-download any client side lua files you need again but that should only happen once.

ultradude25
03-13-2010, 01:59 AM
The "Preparing to launch Garry's Mod" box has nothing to do with what add-ons you have. At that time it is contacting the Valve servers to make sure the GCFs are fine and making sure everything is up-to-date. The amount of time that dialog is up is dependant on the speed of your internet connection, not your computer.

$αяғαє
03-13-2010, 02:41 AM
The more you have content in gmod, the longer it will load.

100% Correct

Qdelta
03-13-2010, 08:42 AM
The "Preparing to launch Garry's Mod" box has nothing to do with what add-ons you have. At that time it is contacting the Valve servers to make sure the GCFs are fine and making sure everything is up-to-date. The amount of time that dialog is up is dependant on the speed of your internet connection, not your computer.

I find this hard to believe because all of my other steam/source games, well, the "preparing" window is up for no more than a few seconds... It's something I've done wrong with addons I think. I'll try and back up everything then reinstall, again...