PDA

View Full Version : Holy cow...getting to play FFXI is insane

ErichK
03-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I splurged and bought the sale-priced FFXI game. It's been a whole half hour, and the steps I've had to take were just mind-boggling in comparison to other MMO's. The registration process itself...good grief.

Now I'm waiting for the game to finish updating through the play online client. I thought the steam store page said all the content was up to date?

The gameplay better be good. At least it was on sale :P

koeta
03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
FFXI is a hard game but also fun and rewarding, though in these days it is harder to get things done then normal.

TIME TO KILL NIDHOGG!

XE800
03-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Hm. Seems I can only boot into a very low resolution (640x480 or something). I sat the resolution to 1680x1050 in the FFXI config utility, but it seems it is ignored. What could be the reason??

zomgitskyo
03-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Hardest game to install/update ever! I've been trying to play this game on and off for the past 6 years, never once have I made it past updating. I own 3 different copies of this game now it's quite ridiculous actually. I got it off steam today and am in the middle of updating, 12 hours so far and i'm at 9000/20000. Had 4 disconnects so far.

koeta
03-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Hm. Seems I can only boot into a very low resolution (640x480 or something). I sat the resolution to 1680x1050 in the FFXI config utility, but it seems it is ignored. What could be the reason??
You sure you set the resolution in the FFXI Setting and not the Playonline one? not too sure about this issue honestly.

koeta
03-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Hardest game to install/update ever! I've been trying to play this game on and off for the past 6 years, never once have I made it past updating. I own 3 different copies of this game now it's quite ridiculous actually. I got it off steam today and am in the middle of updating, 12 hours so far and i'm at 9000/20000. Had 4 disconnects so far.

The update is a little over 1GB but the playonline server isn't as fast as the steam one, it takes me around 5 hours to fully update FFXI from a fresh install. but only 1 hour to download the full (unpatched) game from steam.

XE800
03-14-2010, 09:44 AM
You sure you set the resolution in the FFXI Setting and not the Playonline one? not too sure about this issue honestly.

Yeah, I am sure :-) But now I don't even get THAT far. I just get a black screen and a message saying "PlayOnline has stopped working". When verifying the files I get a "Microsoft(C) Registry Server has stopped working"... followed by "1000 files failed to validate". Argh. I am sure this is some obscure Vista thing messing about, but what? I have tried running without UAC, without DEP, as Administrator, redownloading, nothing works! If anything, it just gets worse: first I was able to boot to low gfx, then just a black screen where I could see the FFXI cursor (which was not moveable) followed by a crash without any message, and now finally a crash with black screen, no cursor and the message mentioned above. Where will it end? Its like Vista is observing me trying to get the game run, but instead of helping me it thinks "Hm, suspicious activity, better increase security. You there, important FFXI file, don't you dare move! You are hereby under arrest!" Sigh. Soon I will probably not be able to boot at all.

Reading this you probably think my computer is not well protected and filled with viruses and trojans breaking my stuff, but the thing is, this computer is only ever used for playing legit games, is always kept up to date and is well protected. So all my problems with this game (and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing which won't work either) must be related to a Vista or Steam issue. But what? Argh.

Hyozanryu
03-16-2010, 03:39 AM
I had the same problem. You have to launch the FINAL FANTASY XI Config.exe directly from the directory of the game : C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\ffxi\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsEU (or ToolsUS, depending on your version). It worked for me.

XE800
03-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Had to reinstall Vista for it to work. No idea what was broken :confused:

FunkNasty420
04-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Its ♥♥♥♥ing outrageous. If XIV isn't any better than this crappy process I am swearing off Square Enix for good.

starrywisdom
04-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Its ♥♥♥♥ing outrageous. If XIV isn't any better than this crappy process I am swearing off Square Enix for good.

Your complaining is pretty awful - the game is what, 11 years old? Compare that to other mmo's of the same age(aside from WoW) and your complaints will soon be diminished.