PDA

View Full Version : incoming and incoming2

Lemonosity
03-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I just got home from school today and I found 2 odd .txt files in my downloads folder, titled incoming and incoming2.

This is what they said:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/HDLBAR/gmod/Portal2/incoming.txt

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/HDLBAR/gmod/Portal2/incoming2.txt

Messages found in these:
INCOMING

APERTURE LABORATORIES GLaDOS 3.11 ttyS0 1200 1200
This computer system is for authorized use only. The use of this facility may be monitored for computer security purposes. Any unauthorized access to this system is prohibited and is subject to criminal and civil penalties under Federal Laws including but not limited to Public Laws 83-703 and
99-474.
SYSTEM DUMP DATA BACK-PRESSURE LOW: ALTERNATE RETRIEVAL PENDING
**EMSI_REQA77E
GLaDOS login: backup
Password: backup
---- APERTURE LABORATORIES GLaDOS v3.11 ----
-- COPYRIGHT (c) 1973-1997 APERTURE - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
---- RECONNECTING TO BACKUP STREAM ----
---- CONNECTION ESTABLISHED ----

<WALL OF SYMBOLS>

-- WARNING: ERROR NOT FOUND
---- BEGIN RECORD 'C:\05283220.113\04227957.284' (7834 BYTES) ----
<MORE SYMBOLS>

-- ERROR: ERROR NOT UNDETECTED
---- BEGIN RECORD 'C:\00948720.247\01544256.369' (3731 BYTES) ----

<SYMBOLS>

This computer system is for authorized use only. The use of this facility may be monitored for computer security purposes. Any unauthorized access to this system is prohibited and is subject to criminal and civil penalties under Federal Laws including but not limited to Public Laws 83-703 and 99-474.
SYSTEM DUMP DATA BACK-PRESSURE LOW: ALTERNATE RETRIEVAL PENDING
**EMSI_REQA77E
GLaDOS login: backup
Password: backup
---- APERTURE LABORATORIES GLaDOS v3.11 ----
-- COPYRIGHT (c) 1973-1997 APERTURE - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
---- RECONNECTING TO BACKUP STREAM ----
---- CONNECTION ESTABLISHED ----

<A FEW SYMBOLS>

-- WARNING: UNDISCOVERED CORRUPTION IN ERROR CORRECTION ( ABEND 898 )
---- BEGIN RECORD 'C:\09394469.756\07583916.313' (371 BYTES) ----
MEMORANDUMS: Filed under CJohnson: 188454-G
&&^521762 jsow remind you that Aperture Science is built on three pillars. Pillar one: Science without results is just witchcraft. Pillar two: Get results or you're fired. Pillar three: if you suspect a coworker of bein' a witch, report them immediately. I cannot stress that enough. Witchcraft will not be tolerated.
---- RECORD ENDS ----
-- WARNING: OUT OF MEMORY BELOW 640KB ( -689 )
---- BEGIN RECORD 'C:\08849055.101\03175671.255' (4774 BYTES) ----

And it goes on like that.

Crinkz
03-12-2010, 01:33 PM
"This computer system is for authorized use only. The use of this facility may be monitored for computer security purposes. Any unauthorized access to this system is prohibited and is subject to criminal and civil penalties under Federal Laws including but not limited to Public Laws 83-703 and 99-474."

Isn't that what the BBS said when you first started it up?

EDIT: Yeah, just saw the login/password part. It seems like it's data from the BBS.

Lemonosity
03-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Why is the BBS ♥♥♥♥ in my downloads?

TD5160
03-12-2010, 01:40 PM
No idea, but it's definitely just the BBS feed.

Some_weirdGuy
03-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Ah, those files are downloaded from a virus on your computer, the walls of symbols are directory links where it downloads the viral data and dumps it into a hidden folder.

Firstly make sure to wear a face mask when in the vicinity of your computer, as virus' are contagious.
Then you should probably run a virus scan to try and locate the hidden folder, delete the folder and than unplug your computer from the wall. Take your computer and all its components(keyboard, mouse, etc) and dig a large hole in your backyard, throw the computer down the hole and then burn it, making sure not to inhale any of the smoke from the flames.

That should fix your problem.

Twilight Mage
03-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Ah, those files are downloaded from a virus on your computer, the walls of symbols are directory links where it downloads the viral data and dumps it into a hidden folder.

Firstly make sure to wear a face mask when in the vicinity of your computer, as virus' are contagious.
Then you should probably run a virus scan to try and locate the hidden folder, delete the folder and than unplug your computer from the wall. Take your computer and all its components(keyboard, mouse, etc) and dig a large hole in your backyard, throw the computer down the hole and then burn it, making sure not to inhale any of the smoke from the flames.

Come on...only GLaDOS could make a virus that powerful and she was torn to pieces and thrown in a fire...remember?

Now, back to wondering who will be replacing GLaDOS in Portal 2 because GLaDOS is most certainly not still alive.

eyefork
03-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Did you access the BBS? Probably just autosaved logs by whatever program you used. "Incoming" for incoming data.

darkrai88
03-12-2010, 10:39 PM

As Weird Al said:
Shut off your computer and make sure it powers down,
Drop it in a 43-foot hole in the ground.
Bury it completely, rocks and boulders should be fine,
Then burn all the clothes you may have worn any time you were online.

Some_weirdGuy
03-13-2010, 02:57 AM
I was actually thinking of that weird Al song as i made my post. Was tempted just to backspace the whole thing and post a link to that song instead :-P

leahcim
03-13-2010, 03:29 AM

Is this a troll? The 2 links in your OP will create txt files in folks download folders when clicked.

That's pretty obviously how you got yours to, by clicking a URL.

So, are you genuinely completely unaware of the internet or are you just trying to kid us that some mysterious files magically appeared on your computer somehow and, ooh, look, they are related to portal 2. <cue spooky music>

But if you are genuinely ignorant, your browsers history (or the downloads tab), depending which browser you have, will tell you where you downloaded the files from. But it's quite probably the Portal puzzle wiki.

Alternatively, if you google incoming.txt incoming2.txt and portal, there are links to these text files on facepunch. Or, in other words, these files relating to the Portal ARG came from the most stunningly obvious place imaginable : sites with folk playing the Portal ARG.

Lemonosity
03-14-2010, 12:00 AM
No, I never downloaded them. And I use Google Chrome, so all downloads are listed. And those two files aren't on the list.

And if anything, Some_weirdGuy is the troll.

I was serious that I never downloaded these. I had no idea where they came from.

Some_weirdGuy
03-14-2010, 05:21 AM
http://rahiel.dlnet.org/images/TrollFace.png