PDA

View Full Version : Who ARE the Combine exactly?

Whatthecell
03-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Okay, so this is a question I have had since I started playing Half-Life 2: Who exactly ARE the Combine? First of all, what is their true form? The Overwatch and Civil Protection you face throughout the Half-Life games are just the HUMAN BRANCH of the Overwatch (according to Dr.Breen.) This suggests that they were only formed AFTER the Combine invaded. So what do the actual Combine aliens look like? We caught our first glance t them, when we saw the advisors. But is the entire Combine empire made up of Advisors? That can't be right... Also, what is the Combine OverWorld like? In Half-Life 2, as you are destroying the teleporter, you can peer through the portal, and see what looks like dozens of Citadels rising into a sky of red swirling clouds. Is that the Combine's planet of origin?

Feel free to share with me any theories you have.

Nomad Trooper
03-12-2010, 11:06 PM
When you say "Combine" I would guess that you mean the original race that started the combine no?

fuegerstef
03-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Feel free to share with me any theories you have.

It gets a bit boring to do that the 165th time since HL2 came out.

So let me say it like this:
There is no Combine-race as there is a human race for example. Hence the name c o m b i n e.

relaxeder
03-12-2010, 11:45 PM
It gets a bit boring to do that the 165,000,000th time since HL2 came out.fixed that for you bro

There are no new theories, nobody has had an epiphany since the game came out and its hard to give interesting anwers to those questions when there aren't many good clues and it takes fifteen gazbillion trillion years for Valve to make a new episode.

relaxeder
03-12-2010, 11:48 PM
But yes to REPLY to your questions its assumed the Combine archspecies are slugs and its assumed the plane seen in the portal at the end is the Combine overworld.

If you ever saw any pics from the HL2 artbook there were some different concept renderings of the Combine soldiers as slugs in powered armor and things like that, its possible thats still unused canon.

WalkenOwns
03-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Check out the laidlaw sticky. Lots of interesting info and he even explains a little
bit about the combine.

Myslaw
03-13-2010, 12:59 AM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/
This site offers EVERYTHING you want to know about HL, really cool site. ;)

mimaz98
03-13-2010, 01:12 AM
The Combine are a massive conglomerate of races - an empire composed of countless sub-species, races and civilizations – all annexed, co-opted and purged of their original functions. They have been force evolved and manipulated to serve the Combine's purpose. It is one big machine that assimilates everything it comes into contact with. The original 'Combine' - The Advisors - were a race not unlike man, who simply became too dependent on the technology they had created to improve their quality of life (immortality etc); ultimately to the point where they couldn't survive without it.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/
This site offers EVERYTHING you want to know about HL, really cool site. ;)

A lot of it is unfounded - and, quite frankly, obtuse - conjecture.

Flamov
03-13-2010, 06:14 AM
I noticed this the other day. When the Strider that is blocking your path in Episode 2 is killed, a brain falls out of it.

mimaz98
03-13-2010, 06:39 AM
You only just noticed it?

Flamov
03-13-2010, 06:41 AM
You only just noticed it?

Yeah. I never really went through the decorative props as much as I did.

Jinoruizraged
03-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Watch this:

http://litfusefilms.com/movies/maintenanceman/