PDA

View Full Version : Weak AA, USA>UK

Jebediah
03-14-2010, 09:39 AM
I have two concerns:
1. Some nation's AA units are just too weak and it is very hard to counter paratrooper/bomber-rushes. When the game is starting and I can see, that my enemy is building an airfield, I have to spend about half of my money just to REact to what he's doing, leaving no opportunity for me to act. Some nations have relatively cheap and powerful AA-bunkers and an enemy can't radiosilence the whole map, so these nations have enough time to deploy bunkers, but e.g. USSR/UK have artillery instead of AA. And their only cheap AA units are ♥♥♥♥. AA 37MM/BOFORS actually are so weak, they get destroyed by the units they are supposed to counter. And they are slow. Most of my enemies were just scouting with bombers etc, because even surprise attacks by 2-3 AA guns are not able to bring down a plane before it can retreat. And when the position of these AA units is revealed, the opponent can take them out with the rest of his bombers or fly arount these positions to drop his paratroopers.
2. The UK is supposed to be the nation with the strongest airforce, but the problem is, that the USA is actually superior. Or at least that's my impression. They have a strong AA bunker, so airrushes are not possible against them. Their light Mitchell bomber is fast and can take some hits and is awesome for harrassing supply lines. The only practical UK unit against them is the Spitfire BUT they have to pay 50$ only for researching the Spitfire, then they have to be built (time/money) and the only thing they are good for, is for countering air attacks, while the bombers can also be used against buildings, infantry, tanks.

Maybe there are easy ways to counter air units without spending all your money only for that purpose and I was just too stupid to figure them out, but I still think that the AA units of some nations need a buff (especially the earlygame AA units) and that the UK in this game is a bit like a weaker USA.
I don't care for "I won all games, idiot!" comments, I'd like to read that you agree with me. Or viable tactics (especially as USSR/UK) against early air attacks.
Edit: Yes, I know it's a beta and the balancing is definitely not final.

DrakenLord
03-14-2010, 09:47 AM
because even surprise attacks by 2-3 AA guns are not able to bring down a plane before it can retreat
Surprise attack? Afaik AA artillery can't ambush airplanes...

Jebediah
03-14-2010, 09:52 AM
BOFORs/AA 37MM can lay ambushes and he had no idea where they were hidden until they started firing so I supposed that they could ambush planes...

GepardenK
03-14-2010, 10:05 AM
I almost always play USSR and have no problem defending against air rushes with my light AA. Sure I have to build around 6 of them at the start of every game (they cost 10$ each), but then they are also always useful for the rest of the game as I move them forwards when my front expands. The key here is always hiding them in forests.

I like light AA better than other nations AA bunkers, as AA bunkers are easly killed by a concentrated fighter bomber attack, but my light AA is hidden safe in forests

Jebediah
03-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Mhm, maybe my light AA was too spread out and could not concentrate their fire, because my enemies did not really have big problems against my AA... I'll test it in some more matches :D

DrakenLord
03-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Also you might want to build up to 10-12 AA artillery in forests if enemy is using mass air or heavy bombers that have more health.

Bridger15
03-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Consider the costs.

You can currently build 2-3 light AA (for the worse AA, you might need 4) per plane the enemy is sending at you in order to stop them/kill them. This isn't really an issue for me, as the airfield is much more expensive than the AA building and the AA is much cheaper than air units.

So while he built the air base and his bombers/whatever, you built the counter and stopped him cold, spending less money. You now are also perfectly suited to build some early arty and bomb his supply depots (while you cover it with AA).

If he keeps building planes, you keep building the cheap AA while expanding your econ. You should eventually win th econ battle, as his planes will need recon to shoot your hidden AA, and your AA can shoot down his recon to keep him off you.

camero
03-14-2010, 11:30 AM
well actually with UK their fighter bombers double as early fighters and are teh best early fighers. plus they can bomb the enemy. the spitfire is th best fighter hands down. the typhoon is the best fighter bomber. and the lancaster is the best, soley because while a little weaker then the b17 it is faster. however the USA can outproduce you. that is the whole purpose of the USA. peoducing truckloads of mediocore-good units

angryhobbit
03-14-2010, 12:53 PM
NEWSFLASH --- Spit fire is aweseome vs infrantry and art and aa....anything that is manned can be killed with the spitfire....aa art and planes...lancaster destroys building in 1 run....and fighterbomber destroys tanks ....uk air force owns in this game