PDA

View Full Version : So how should I play this?

Ba5tard5word
03-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I just got this on Steam, I enjoyed stuff like Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm and thought this one might be cool too. I started up a game and messed around for about 5 minutes but I'm not really sure what to do, I've never played an XCOM-type game before. I can look at my bases and move vehicles like Raptors around, and set up other bases, but I'm not really sure what to do at first. I set the game time to 1 day and eventually a UFO appeared on the globe map but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Is there a useful tutorial website for the game, or a website that does a good job of explaining how to play it? Are there some simple things I can do at the start like attacking a UFO that will get me used to the combat and so on?

zebber
03-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Hmm, to keep it simple for the time being...your job is to:

Intercept UFOs
Investigate Crashed and Landed UFOs, and other sites of Alien Activity
Research new equipment and technologies
Manufacture and purchase equipment
Equip and manage your soldiers
Lead your squad in combat against the Aliens

The game breaks down into two phases: a real-time phase (with controllable increments of time, with 5 secs being essentially paused) in which you manage bases and intercept UFOs, and a turn-based phase in which you lead your troops at alien sites. You shouldn't be sending your interceptor craft out frivolously (there's nothing they're going to accomplish if there's nothing to shoot down).

That's the game in about as small a nutshell as I can get it. If you've played those other turn-based squad games I imagine you'll catch on pretty quick. Don't be surprised if you have to restart your game after a little bit once you have a better grasp of the tactics and research you should be focusing on initially.

NanostrikeX
03-14-2010, 06:42 PM
The game has a manual. Right click on it in Steam and select View Manual. It'll explain how to shoot down and salvage UFOs...

Don't be surprised if you have to restart your game after a little bit once you have a better grasp of the tactics and research you should be focusing on initially.

And yes, I've had to restart a dozen times. The turn-based part can be hard, but the hardest is learning how to fight the UFOs on the world map. Basically, don't be afraid to let a few of them go from time to time. Otherwise the aliens will get uber-pissed and start sending bigger ones. Bigger ones than you can usually handle, too...

Ba5tard5word
03-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Ok thanks, and I'll take a look at the manual.

When a UFO get spotted what do I do, send out a Raptor or whatever to intercept it? Or can they get shot down by my base's defenses?

NanostrikeX
03-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Ok thanks, and I'll take a look at the manual.

When a UFO get spotted what do I do, send out a Raptor or whatever to intercept it? Or can they get shot down by my base's defenses?

Your base doesn't have any defenses unless you build them, so you better shoot them down with raptors. Even if you DO build base defenses, they only work if a UFO is trying to land on and capture your base.

Generally, if any UFO comes near your base, IMMEDIATELY launch whatever you have and kill it/scare if off. If you let any UFO spot your base, even a mere scout, they'll be sending a "Retaliation" mission to try and capture your base soon.

Ba5tard5word
03-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Well I managed to shoot one down then moved in a transport to check it out and went into a ground mission. Unfortunately my guys all got owned quickly even though I have it on easy! I tried having them scout ahead but they can't get close enough to an enemy to shoot at it effectively, and enemies kept coming from all directions.

I'll try again some other time and try different stuff, and will try to avoid getting approached from more than one side, but is there something reliable I can do to see forward or get the soldiers to avoid getting damaged? Also there was some larva enemy that would shoot at my guys, then it would disappear. I would try moving my soldiers to where the larva was and there would be nothing. How do I kill an enemy that won't appear except when it shoots and disappears when it's my round? Also the loading screen you get when the enemies are moving around is annoying as hell, is there a way to turn it off?

Also the manual isn't viewable in steam but there is a manual in the game's file folder.

KT!
03-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Starting vehicle is useful for scouting purposes.

Use terrain and stuff to approach aliens, even having a tree or something between you and them can block a shot. Also make sure you crouch before shooting back.

Likewise that Larva could have been close by but blocked by terrain or have floated off nearby.

If the aliens are coming at you get into a defensive position where they can't shoot at you without coming closer then let them have it.

NanostrikeX
03-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Starting vehicle is useful for scouting purposes.

Use terrain and stuff to approach aliens, even having a tree or something between you and them can block a shot. Also make sure you crouch before shooting back.

Likewise that Larva could have been close by but blocked by terrain or have floated off nearby.

If the aliens are coming at you get into a defensive position where they can't shoot at you without coming closer then let them have it.

Wait until you get to Preachers. They are one of the most BS enemies I've ever seen, hands down. Basically they're flying, heavily armored, very fast, very accurate enemies who have an attack that hits a wide area and leaves the area it hits on fire.

They render all of the covering-fire, and concealed positions useless. They'll out-react almost all of your soldiers with Reactions under 70. You can sneak up behind one with almost full TUs and hit it...only for it to immediately turn around and fire back at you if you don't fully kill it.

And they don't even have to hit your soldier. If they hit that wall he's hiding behind, the whole area AROUND the wall gets hit, even the area behind it where your soldier is hiding.

I cannot stress how BS this is. They're basically enemies with rapid-fire rocket launchers that fire incindiary rockets. If your guy gets hit during the enemy turn, he's gonna get hit AGAIN by the burning area he's standing in at the start of his turn.

And if they fall in the fire? You can heal their wounds, but the fire usually kills them, as you can't drag them out of it! I really hate these guys. They turn tactical combat from something you can win with skill and planning into more-or-less luck based battling...

Bah...sorry for the rant. Basically, if you're having trouble with the starting aliens, don't worry. It gets worse.

employee24601
04-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Interesting post nano! I haven't succumbed to game-rage for a while now, so it sounds like I'd best leave this one alone for the moment :)