PDA

View Full Version : In-game Encyclopedia

WaZzUp115
03-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I got this idea a while back.
Weapon stats and stats for bosses have been discussed a lot lately and I thought this would be a sweet solution to enlighten new and old players alike.

My first thought was to have most of the information "hidden" and I call it "hidden" so it won't be confused with "unlocking" weapons which might come in the future.

The hidden information would be unlocked by playing somehow, because we all love unlocking stuff, right ;) (I know you're an achievement ♥♥♥♥♥ deep down inside)

So there would be detailed information about bosses along with a 3D model viewer like when selecting character profile.

The encyclopedia could also tie in together with stats, you could have stats for zombies killed with each weapon, bullets fired, accuracy, amount of each powerup picked up, zombies killed with the turbine, the amount of times you've selected a perk, etc. The possibilities are endless!

There's already a wikipedia, but it's quite outdated and probably not used that much, an in-game encyclopedia would be much more handy and easier to access.

I did a mock-up example of how it could look:
Encyclopedia Mock-up Example (http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7356/encyclopedia.jpg)

roman2838
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Awesome idea, whole lotta ro... work, though.

WaZzUp115
03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Awesome idea, whole lotta ro... work, though.

Yeah, that's the only downside..
Perhaps something to consider for Nation Red 2 or DP's new games in development ;)

Pandgames org
03-15-2010, 02:14 PM
NR 2 will never happen soon (I hope) but that is a great fake screen shot you made! Love the idea though. We could help write it too. ;)

ColdSeer
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Omfg how do you do that?!?!?
TEACH ME (please!). :D

I'm learning C++ and all I know doing is a freaking stupid card game!

WaZzUp115
03-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Omfg how do you do that?!?!?
TEACH ME (please!). :D

I'm learning C++ and all I know doing is a freaking stupid card game!

Do what?
Photoshop? :D

Oh, I just noticed, I forgot the Nation Red Logo! xD

SpikedRocker
03-15-2010, 03:45 PM
I've collected alot of the information on this game up to 2 updates ago here: http://nationred.abscuredvision.com Its a wiki with a ton of information but I've been tied up in other projects to update it.

CaptainDingo
03-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Apparently I never noticed before that an M4A1 has two triggers.

How odd.

WaZzUp115
03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Apparently I never noticed before that an M4A1 has two triggers.

How odd.

Woha, me neither..
That's a grenade launcher attachment! :eek:

Interesting.. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SOPMOD_2-2005.jpg)

CaptainDingo
03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Odd. So in Nation Red, the M4A1 has a grenade launcher attachment... but does not fire grenades.

Why show the attachment in the weapon art then?

MY MIND IS BLOWN.

Edit: Also...

Rounds fired: 4650
Bullets hit: 4650

Patting your accuracy on the back there in your mockup? XD

ColdSeer
03-15-2010, 05:34 PM
o.O
Photoshop??
Ok it's an excelent work no matter how you did it.

-.- Made me feel really stupid now.
I was like "Oh I didn't know he knew how to program!"

WaZzUp115
03-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Patting your accuracy on the back there in your mockup? XD

I don't like math, so I kept it simple ;D

And thanks ColdSeer.. ^^

SnowBrigade
03-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Hello WaZzUp115, this almost looks like a great idea for a deluxe version of Nation Red.. Could work along with some new weapons, game info, new zombies, etc.:)

WaZzUp115
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Hello WaZzUp115, this almost looks like a great idea for a deluxe version of Nation Red.. Could work along with some new weapons, game info, new zombies, etc.:)

Oh, I like the sound of that!
Delux-DLC addon? ;D

I think that might be an option you could explore after online-coop which I imagine will boost sales and the hype of the game and thus increasing the amount of loyal fans who would surely pay a bit extra for some new features and fluff.

CaptainDingo
03-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I was toying with the idea in my head of making the encyclopedia unlockable.

That is, you can't see weapon entries unless you've picked up that weapon, can't see zombie entries unless you've killed at least X amount of that zombie type, can't see an entry on a powerup unless you've picked one up before, etc.

Would give completionists something else to strive for, filling out their encyclopedia. And perhaps as a reward for making the entries require completion, each entry could have more dense text included with them, offering backstory and deeper information (though the backstory would probably only apply to things like maps and zombies).

The only possible downside to that, is there may be some people who want all that information available without working for it.

So, anyways, just wanted to throw the idea out there.

WaZzUp115
03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah, that's sorta my idea with the "hidden" info..
Bosses could have like a 5% chance to drop a boss trophy which unlocks the info about the boss..
While weapons and power ups could be unlocked when picked up..
Perks and game modes would be best to keep unlocked from the start..

The encyclopedia could also have a section for unlockable weapons/power ups, etc.
The weapons and power ups could be dropped randomly from zombies like weapons and items in TF2 or through achievements.

CaptainDingo
03-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Yeah, that might be cool too, the random drops thing.

Kill your third or fourth Butcher and it drops some shiny gold medal or something (basically anything that's extremely easy to see so you don't miss it, trophies might be a little odd though), and when you grab it, it unlocks a nice dense encyclopedia entry on the Butcher.

Hey SB, want to hire me and Wazzup? :D Hehe.

ColdSeer
03-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Woo TF2 FTW.

@Topic

Well I'm totally favorable for a unlockable encyclopedia.
However, as CaptainDingo said, other people might want everything to be already there, available.

The most obvious solution (adding a button to make it unlockable/instantly available),however, would kill it, in my opinion.

CaptainDingo
03-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Well, yeah, if you could just click a magic button and make everything appear in the encyclopedia, everyone would be tempted to do so, even completionists.

Perhaps the real solution is for everything to already be in the encyclopedia, but make information on each entry to be extremely brief unless you've unlocked its full information.

Or just tell people who want the entire thing filled out by default to deal with it and just do the unlock thing. ;) That's what I would do. They'd learn to like it.

WaZzUp115
03-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Perhaps each boss could have like 10% chance to drop a skull that spins around like a power up, and when you collect 10 skulls you unlock a encyclopedia entry? :)

Would give some sense of progression for those that don't manage to improve their high scores..

CaptainDingo
03-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Pretty shiny silver skulls.

ColdSeer
03-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Well, yeah, if you could just click a magic button and make everything appear in the encyclopedia, everyone would be tempted to do so, even completionists.

Perhaps the real solution is for everything to already be in the encyclopedia, but make information on each entry to be extremely brief unless you've unlocked its full information.

Or just tell people who want the entire thing filled out by default to deal with it and just do the unlock thing. ;) That's what I would do. They'd learn to like it.

Welcome to the Jorge Bush era! "Me, me, me!"
Hahahah, I'm just joking.

Yeah, my point when I said the "magic button" would kill the idea was exactly because we completionists would eventually use it!

But then, here's an idea based on WazZup's skulls :

Just add X more achievements. X would be the number of weapons, bosses, etc etc althogueter.
You get them by collecting Y skulls that always drops (So there's no luck factor, only the skills factor. Would be more than 10, as WazZup said).

In the encyclopedia, once you get an achievement correspondent to the weapon, boss or powerup, deep info about it shows up!

WaZzUp115
03-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Actually there wouldn't be much collecting if each zombie or boss dropped one, then you might as well just unlock it through kills..
Also, it might be kinda annoying to collect one from every single boss.
By making it something rare, you get more excited when it drops and you'll also be more likely to jump into a crowd of zombies just to get one.

In a game like this were you kill loads of zombies and bosses the luck factor and drop percentage becomes more like a solid drop rate, the luck factor won't make much difference when the drop rate is relatively high.

ColdSeer
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
You've got a point.
I must agree when you say the drop rates would be pretty high.
So yeah, I like your idea better now xD

EnsignBlue
03-16-2010, 09:20 PM

If you guys do release a deluxe version, please make it a paid DLC, not a rerelease. I would much appreciate it.

Also, is this something you're doing now, or is it a "Down the road maybe" type of thing?

SnowBrigade
03-17-2010, 04:44 AM
Hey SB, want to hire me and Wazzup? :D Hehe.

If you are both very nice looking girls then definitely yes.

I do like the idea of being able to unlock extra features in the game, like the encyclopedia, etc. I think this is something possible to add after the next coop update.

If you guys do release a deluxe version, please make it a paid DLC, not a rerelease. I would much appreciate it.

Hello EnsignBlue, if we were to make such an update much more than the encyclopedia, meaning new hostiles, levels, etc. then perhaps. It's true that we have a lot of ideas still left which haven't been added yet, including new music etc.

So I won't dismiss such a DLC idea, but you know my reluctance for a paid one;) But, if such a DLC has extras and ideas which we never even thought of in the first place, then that could be more viable.

CaptainDingo
03-17-2010, 06:15 AM
I'm a pretty good-looking guy, but I can't afford the sex change. :(

WaZzUp115
03-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Will cross-dressing be enough?

ColdSeer
03-17-2010, 09:10 AM
If you are both very nice looking girls then definitely yes.

LOOOOL!

About the possible DLC...
If it has enought additions, then ah well...
Make it paid, it's technicly not an update xD

WaZzUp115
03-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Make it paid, it's technicly not an update xD

Yeah, and what excuse could be better than "our fans demanded it"? ;)

Hawkbat
03-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I see two sides to the encyclopedia. I think its a great idea and should be added. On one hand I like unlockables. I like running around the map trying to kill 1000 or so zombies with the .44 just so i can see a popup that says "you have unlocked the .44 encyclopedia entry".

on the other hand, if the encyclopedia is going to have information that's important to gameplay (such as weapon ammo, range, damage penetration power, etc) it really seems pointless for it to be an unlock since by the time you have used the weapon enough to unlock it, you'll already know everything. this is also true with zombies, especially bosses. (by the time you have killed them a few times you know their weaknesses and attack patterns)

possibly there's a happy medium? for zombies we can certainly put relevant game info in without an unlock (speed, health, weakness and strengths) and then after you kill them a few times maybe we can unlock a back story or something about them?

I dunno about guns, maybe with the guns you unlock the survival mode where you play with whichever gun you unlocked (vs just the AK)

Lord_Hawkbat

WaZzUp115
03-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Yeah I see your point..

For example, having a perk being unlocked by picking the perk wouldn't make any sense since you'd already know what it does..

For weapons and such you don't have all the specific info though, like reload time, damage, range..
And it would also be interesting to unlock your own stats like accuracy, times picked up, zombies killed, etc..

As for the bosses, perhaps they could have some very specific weaknesses like certain weapons or perks (which was suggested in another thread) which would be hard to find out by just playing..

Hawkbat
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
yeah. while its true that you wont have exact specifics with the guns I think the general gist is enough. (finding out one guns reload time is 2.2 secs vs another 2.3 isn't going to be a startling revelation) that's why I think the info should be given right off the bat. (I know personally I didn't know about locking weapons so I learned all about the different weapons just by nature of the fact that I would pick them up and be forced to use them till another dropped.) I would LOVE to see weapon statistics though. Major boss weaknesses is also good. I still like the idea of unlocking survival modes though.

CaptainDingo
03-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Funny, but I never actually considered including USEFUL information about the enemies and stuff.

When I was pitching the unlock idea, I was just thinking it would unlock things like height, weight, backstory on how X zombie became a zombie, etc. Not specifics like health, damage, range...

Because I agree it would be in bad taste to have to unlock vital information. But I'm still in favor of unlocking if what we're unlocking is essentially a big chunk of flavor text.

Pandgames org
03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
So This is what I want out of this:

Unlock:
Story Bits
Gun/zombie info/tips
Back story of characters
Level Hints from this forum!
Achievement Hints

Non-unlock:
Zombie Health
Gun Stats