PDA

View Full Version : DX11 - Depth Of Field (DOF)

jester1x
03-16-2010, 08:16 PM
To all 5870 owners, turn it off when running DX11. My framerates went from the 30s and now range from 45 to 70fps when I turned it off on "Normal." It was hovering in the low to mid 30s most often prior to turning that DX11 option off. I monitored using the latest Fraps version compatible with DX11.

By the way, I'm running a Core i7-920@2.66GHz, 6GB of ram with a Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB harddrive.

I going to play some more and see if it holds up when the action starts. :o

*It plays very well now in DX11 mode. It ranges now from the high 40s to high 70s in fps. Thanks for the response xMrAx. I may turn off tessellation as well. I wonder how big of an effect it has on visual quality...if any?

Played some more and the range is from the high 40s to approximately 120fps for a high in some interior scenes. I'd say the average is the high 60s to low 70s. Now, off to enjoy the game some more!

xMrAx
03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Did the same thing. Turning off tessellation also helps. DX11 was poorly implemented. It shouldn't be affecting frame rates this much.

annisman
03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
I'd like to point out that even if you don't use the DX11 features (because they butcher the fps) You should still in fact run it in DX11 mode, because you will get fps boost from that, espescially with a quad core.

Don't forget, DX11 is also there for performance increases due to more threads being used.

I have 2 5870's and turning off the dx11 features gives me 70% more frames some times, and it still looks great.

bigtpsychoboy
03-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Yeah I have almost your exact setup jester except my black caviar is 1GB. My game would actually crash with the advanced DOF on. I turned it off and I was able to play fine. I am curious what you have all your other video settings at. I am at 16X AAA, 1980x1080 res, and very high graphic settings. I do have tessellation on as well. I find myself dropping below 30 every so often and there are a few parts where I dropped into the teens.

EDIT: I am going to try turning off tessellation the next time I play and see how much of a difference it makes.

kamm
03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the hint, I'll try this - I was really put off how ♥♥♥♥ty my framerates are o everything maxed out...

TomWeise62305
03-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks. Turning off both of those really improved performance for me. Very high settings are now playable. Before I was having some severe hiccups on only high settings with those enabled. I was really excited about tesselation, but now after seeing it here and in stalker cop it doesnt really provide much visual improvement at all. Just hurts fps way more than it should.

jester1x
03-16-2010, 11:54 PM
bigtpsychoboy, I posted a majority of this reply in another topic but modified it slightly for this thread. Saved me from having to type the same thing again. ;)

Framerates range from a low in the mid 50s to high 120s@1680x1050 (averaging 65 to about 85fps) on normal, DX11 (DOF off), AAA and AF4X. I get just as high a framerate with AF16X as well. I'm running a XFX 5870 on Cat 9.12s, 6GB of ram (3GB Corsair/3GB of nameless, oem ram), Core i7-920@2.66GHz with a Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700 watt power supply.

The game is really nice looking even at "Normal" setting. Gameplay seems pretty tight too. I shot one guy and could hear his death gurgle. You can see blood spray as well. I don't play for the gruesomeness though.

By the way, I'm running the gpu fan@45% with MSI Afterburner with temps maxing@71c. 45% is my sweet spot for this card. Any louder and I would not be able to stand the noise although my card would be cooler.

soldierblue
03-17-2010, 06:46 AM
On or off, DX11 still doesn't run well enough to justify using it on a 5870, assuming you're using tessellation. If you're not using either of those I can't see why you wouldn't want to run it in DX10 or even in DX9 if the object motion blur bothers you.

QuickCon
03-17-2010, 07:03 AM
On or off, DX11 still doesn't run well enough to justify using it on a 5870, assuming you're using tessellation. If you're not using either of those I can't see why you wouldn't want to run it in DX10 or even in DX9 if the object motion blur bothers you.

I have a 5770 and I play in DX11 with tessellation and DOF off on high settings no problems. Runs fine imo.

TheHolyChicken
03-17-2010, 07:12 AM
There is a performance benefeit to using DX11. There is no reason whatsoever to downgrade your DX version unless you're having issues (crashes/virtual artifacts etc), even if you're disabling all the DX11-only features.

kenpojujitsu3
03-17-2010, 07:41 AM
This game is almost like Crysis was in 2007. It's not meant to be run on Very High with all DX11 extra features turned on, anti-aliasing cranked up, high resolution, etc. on most hardware that is currently available.

I'm personally running an OC'd i7 @ 3.59Ghz, 8GB of 1600MHZ DDR3 Ram, 2 5870's in crossfire and an 8800GT for dedicated physx and with everything turned on to the absolute maximum at 1440x900 my FPS is ranging from 29-80 with the average being in the upper 40's to low 50's.

The game is a graphical beast and will last (visually) for a long time to come.

Jove1981
03-17-2010, 08:52 AM
How do you check your FPS?

Also, switching my settings to DX11 seemed to boost my performance as well (after turning off DOF and tesselation).

I'm running:

i7 2.66 ghz
6mb ram
ati radeon 5870

surfrock22
03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
My question:

Is there a noticable difference with tessellation on/off? I tested it in game and could only see that the edges of the arms and legs were a bit more rounded..

Are there direct comparison shots for us to get a better idea?

QuickCon
03-17-2010, 10:58 AM
My question:

Is there a noticable difference with tessellation on/off? I tested it in game and could only see that the edges of the arms and legs were a bit more rounded..

Are there direct comparison shots for us to get a better idea?

I honestly did not notice a difference, but I agree, some direct comparisons would be nice.

surfrock22
03-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I mean, we've got to be missing something pretty significant, if the performance drop is this large..

Personally, I am looking at a good 15-20 FPS drop after enabling tessellation..

bornakiller
03-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Somehow i noticed that the frame drops when grenades explode drops to 20fps :S

surfrock22
03-17-2010, 11:18 AM
do you have 4x AA enabled?

Saolite
03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
From what I've seen playing on and off with tesselation ( and sometimes Depth of Field ), it makes everything more crisp, clear, and " realistic " -- clothes sway a little more with movement, ammo clips bounce slightly when characters jog. It's very, very slight difference, but all that adds up.

And at the end of the game, whatever you do, do NOT turn on Depth of Field or tesselation. I got about 10 - 15 FPS with them turned on, when on average I got around 20-30 FPS with them both turned on, on Very High.

It's basically so that smaller objects stand out more, react more, interact more, etc. Basically an enhancement to otherwise unnoticeable objects -- stairs, ammo, ridges on crates, bullet holes, etc. But it does it to almost all objects, hence the huge FPS drop.

At least, that is my understanding of tesselation from Heaven Benchmark and now Metro 2033.

surfrock22
03-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I would love to see the difference, visually.

Sepulch
03-17-2010, 11:55 AM
The game is created around some new nvidia features. The developers already aknowledges the issues and are talking about a patch that scales performance for ATI cards.

soldierblue
03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
I have a 5770 and I play in DX11 with tessellation and DOF off on high settings no problems. Runs fine imo.

What is "fine"?

There is a performance benefeit to using DX11. There is no reason whatsoever to downgrade your DX version unless you're having issues (crashes/virtual artifacts etc), even if you're disabling all the DX11-only features.

There is no performance benefit. Bench it at DX11 with DOF and tessellation off, then test it with the same settings at DX10.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,706590/Metro-2033-Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-mit-DirectX-11-und-GPU-PhysX/Action-Spiel/Test/?page=2

Take a look at those if you don't want to actually bench it yourself.

TheHolyChicken
03-19-2010, 07:51 AM

There is no performance benefit. Bench it at DX11 with DOF and tessellation off, then test it with the same settings at DX10.

From an tech interview: http://metro2033forums.com/index.php?topic=72.0
PCGH: What was or were the deciding technical advantages of the DX11 API/Shader Model 5?

Oles Shishkovstov: Although the API is still awkward from pure C++ design perspective, the functionality is here. I really enjoy three things: compute shaders, tessellation shaders and draw/create contexts separation. The most significant of those three things - compute shaders. They enable a whole new class of algorithms and performance optimizations.

PCGH: In what way does it allow you to optimize or simplify the rendering process in Metro 2033?

Oles Shishkovstov: The user can disable additional DX11 features, and in that way he/she can find that performance under DX11 is better than for example under DX10.

That's a result of many small tweaks which are now available under DX11.Assuming equal settings, and that all extra DirectX 11 features are turned off, performance under DX11 should be higher.

robs03gts
03-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I mean, we've got to be missing something pretty significant, if the performance drop is this large..

Believe me, you are not missing much with tessellation turned off. I have seen some comparison shots somewhere of Metro 2033 with it on and off and you have to look really really close to see the difference.

Right now it simply isnt worth it.

robs03gts
03-19-2010, 08:00 AM
From an tech interview: http://metro2033forums.com/index.php?topic=72.0
Assuming equal settings, and that all extra DirectX 11 features are turned off, performance under DX11 should be higher.

It should be but it isnt. I find it runs better in DX10 using the same settings that I would use in DX11.

Q9550@3.8ghz
2 HD 5870's at 1ghz each
Vista 64