PDA

View Full Version : Preacher Tactics?

NanostrikeX
03-16-2010, 11:26 PM
They are one of the most BS enemies I've ever seen, hands down. Basically they're flying, heavily armored, very fast, very accurate enemies who have an attack that hits a wide area and leaves the area it hits on fire.

They render all of the covering-fire, and concealed positions useless. They'll out-react almost all of your soldiers with Reactions under 70. You can sneak up behind one with almost full TUs and hit it...only for it to immediately turn around and fire back at you if you don't fully kill it.

And they don't even have to hit your soldier. If they hit that wall he's hiding behind, the whole area AROUND the wall gets hit, even the area behind it where your soldier is hiding.

I cannot stress how BS this is. They're basically enemies with rapid-fire rocket launchers that fire incindiary rockets. If your guy gets hit during the enemy turn, he's gonna get hit AGAIN by the burning area he's standing in at the start of his turn.

And if they fall in the fire? You can heal their wounds, but the fire usually kills them, as you can't drag them out of it! I really hate these guys. They turn tactical combat from something you can win with skill and planning into more-or-less luck based battling...

I'm having a ton of trouble. I've been able to gather a bit however...

-Advanced Mind Shields are essential. Those and a bravery of ~50 make their psi-attacks a joke.
-Tanks are useless against them, as they almost never miss tanks and tanks have crappy fire resist.
-Waspkeeper Armor has the best Fire Resist, which can help, but still is inadequate...

Any tips would be great! These things are ridiculous...

zebber
03-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Hmm I actually found my most costly encounters being those after I switched my squad to Desert Viper armor and encountered KingLarva. Their chemical attacks claimed a number of very highly trained soldiers, making that portion of the game very disheartening. Especially since normally Larva and KingLarva are not a problem. I had to make a choice, though, between chemical resistance or mechanical, and I sided with mechanical...maybe in another game I'll skip Desert Viper and wait till I have Waspkeeper.

Anyway, preachers...

Personally, I didn't have too much trouble with their psionic attacks...I believe only their commanders have the ability. Granted, if you're playing with the modification that drastically increases their presence I could see that being a problem. Sounds like you have that under control.

Perhaps you could invest the rather costly amount of cash and time into outfitting most or at least some of your troops with personal anti-gravity generators? By the end of the game I had one on each person, just to help them carry more equipment. The benefit against preachers would be that if your soldier isn't on the ground, area attacks like fire and chemical clouds aren't such a big deal. I'm not sure if there's an accuracy penalty for being off the ground, but you probably have your soldiers aiming stat raised high enough to compensate for that.

Also, if they're hitting you too much when you're taking cover, perhaps you should try more aggressive tactics. Push forward more aggressively, so you can challenge them on your terms rather than theirs.

Personally, I don't use vehicles at all. In most transports, they take up slots that four soldiers could be using, they don't gain experience, they don't carry equipment, and (as far as I can tell), units that take up 2x2 spaces usually have an increased chance of being hit. Use soldiers in their place. Speaking of transports, have you built one of the more advanced ones? With enough engineers (and I recommend working towards at least two advanced manufacturing facilities...by endgame I had four) you can crank out a transport relatively quickly. Having an extra two or four soldiers along for the ride really helped my usual tactic of having my men fan out in a well spaced line, clearing territory and making sure there was nothing behind us as we moved forward.

NanostrikeX
03-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I've got the Devilfish. Due to the game being stupid, you can't transfer them to any other bases, but they're BY FAR the best anti-battleship craft. HUGE HP and can carry weapons. I have 2 empty ones in my main base for interception and JAGs everywhere else. And the PSI attacks don't really get me. As I said, they're a joke with Advanced Mind Shields and ~50 Bravery.

But for some reason, after EEEW Rifles, my research is kinda stalled. I don't have the EEEW shield coming up for research or anything like that. Maybe I'm missing something? Was a second type of alien supposed to start appearing with the Preachers, similar to how Destroyers and Sentinels appeared together? Cuz I'm only getting craptons of Preachers...

I tried flying with Jetpacks and, though that makes their fire not hurt you, it makes you an easy hit for the shots themselves, as you have almost no cover. Also, maybe it's a glich, but none of my troops can hit anything when flying. The accuracy will be 99%, and they'll outright miss every time.

zebber
03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I've got the Devilfish....they're BY FAR the best anti-battleship craft. HUGE HP and can carry weapons. I have 2 empty ones in my main base for interception and JAGs everywhere else.

Well damn, I'd never considered using the Devilfish offensively...I just was using Jags with Particle Cannons, Shields, and Imperators at the end....a couple extra DevilFish as backup would have been an incredible help with their armor and fuel...maybe next game

NanostrikeX
03-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Well damn, I'd never considered using the Devilfish offensively...I just was using Jags with Particle Cannons, Shields, and Imperators at the end....a couple extra DevilFish as backup would have been an incredible help with their armor and fuel...maybe next game

Like I said, though, the game considers then "Transports" and you can only have transports at your main base. Kinda limits the use, but you can't really argue with a 700HP flying beast or two at your main base!

Personally, I think they really screwed the pooch on interception in this game. Your fighters, even late-game ones, just plain don't stack up to the big UFOs unless you mass them in huge numbers. It's the X-COM Apocalypse Hoverbike Swarm nonsense all over again...