PDA

View Full Version : Savegames lost after Crash? - Bad support

_dp
03-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Hi

I have to write about this, because I'm a little upset right now.
After all this negative criticism and comments I red about the game, I thought I might give it a shot, how bad can it be?
So I spent 50 for the game last night and played it. A lot.
(and it does this a lot, either because it doesn't like my PC (running on win7 64 bit) or because it lost connection to ubisoft (thx for the DRM which made this game even better *sarcasm-off*))

I noticed, that every time the game crashes, the controls are reset. I had to reconfigure them every time. After 4 times re-mapping all keys on my controller I finally managed to close the game, so the new settings were saved. Then I played all night, about 5 hours.
In the cinematic scene, where you get your clothes out of that big treasure box, my PC completely freezed and i had a sound-loop. It was late and I just switched off the PC instead of reset.
Now I wanted to resume my game... and the last save is right at the beginning... oO 5 hours of gameplay just LOST !?
That's impossible! I've seen this little save icon several times. At least i think it meant saving...
Why do i start at the beginning? This is definitely the savegame, where i exited the game properly the last time, before playing until the last crash occured.

How can i recover my savegame? It HAS to be somewhere D:

Regarding the support, I tried to contact the ubisoft support and tried to write in the ubisoft forums, but every time i get a server timed out message. I can't even login. This is just bad and I'm very dissapointed in Ubisoft.
I wrote to the steam support and i hope that they can help me.
I also post this here, because perhaps someone had the same problem and knows what to do?

Dudette
03-17-2010, 07:05 AM
i'm looking at the ubisoft forum right now, by the way. Sorry you cant get through.

You won't get much help from here, unfortunately. most people here are either protesters against the DRM, or people who are in complete denial about any kind of problem. They'll probably say its your pc and totally your fault. However, I think your problem is entirely in the hands of ubisoft. they have some known issues with the saved games. You may or may not get your game back, but right now you are SOL. Sorry. :(

DJ_Professor_K
03-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Dudette is right, it will be hard to get support in this forum, and steam support will re-direct you to ubisoft support, since it's a game by ubisoft, not valve.

Ubisoft lost some safegames yesterday (possibly to one of the DDoS attacks or like i know, their servers simply fail, like all previous servers they owned) and they were forced to make a rollback, so lot's of people lost their progress.

It's annoying, but online services also have this problems (losses of data).

I suggest is that you switch to local safegame storage (it should be in the options somewhere, sorry i can't give a direct... direction, but i don't have the game and probably won't have it any time soon).

Well, wish ya a better luck next time.

Cheers

_dp
03-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Well, this is at least much more support I ever got from Ubisoft (none :P) ^^

I did not know you can store them local as well, I'll change that. Thx.

tolman
03-17-2010, 07:28 AM
If you don't need your savegames to be stored on their servers you can turn it off. Then your savegames will be stored localy on your hard drive. You can do that in the launcher. Just click little cog icon near minimize control. This should also help people with very bad internet connection because it reduces traffic to ubi servers (slightly but it can be helpful) and you are independent of server failures.
Btw I guess ubi don't backup user data very often if such things happen.

Dudette
03-17-2010, 07:29 AM
i was under the impression people lost savedgames even then, because when you store offline they still have to sync with the server.

unless all the locked threads on ubi's forum are wrong!

DJ_Professor_K
03-17-2010, 07:39 AM
i was under the impression people lost savedgames even then, because when you store offline they still have to sync with the server.

unless all the locked threads on ubi's forum are wrong!

That's when they are to be stored online and for some reason you loose your internet connection, when that happens, the safegames stay stored temporarlly on your machine until you regain your internet connection.

Cheers.

Dudette
03-17-2010, 07:46 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4721051016/m/1641051148 people reporting problems with saves.

DJ_Professor_K
03-17-2010, 07:54 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4721051016/m/1641051148 people reporting problems with saves.

Well, that seems to be another problem, sorry about what i said, i missunderstood it.

That is really troublesome to know too :/

Hope the OP doesn't get 2nd toughts now.

teamster776
03-19-2010, 06:27 AM
Im having same problem..game seems to crash my computer every couple hours. I lost an hour of saved game last night after freeze up. I updated drivers,turned down video settings...still freezes.sometimes i lose saved progress,sometimes not.