PDA

View Full Version : New Game?

Saolite
03-17-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm trying to decide what new game to get, and thus far, the choices are these three:

Dawn of Discovery
Dragon Age: Origins
Stalker: Call of Pripyat

I know, totally different genre's for all of them, but they all have some open-ended gameplay to them and all of them have high replay value. I'm sure, depending on the thread, I'd get different responses -- but I wanted to know everyones opinion, the good/bad with their respective games ( or gaming experiences ).

JagFel
03-17-2010, 08:24 AM
I have DA:O and CoP.

Frankly I enjoy Dragons Age more.

CoP is fun, and a great open world sandbox, but it feels rather directionless and I had a difficult time getting started with the game as it just dumps you into the world with no introduction. I know that's part of the STALKER charm, but I didn't like having to spend a few hours figuring out how how the main plot lines worked. Once I got into the core of CoP though I have a blast.

Dragons Age reminds me greatly of Neverwinter Nights 2, lots of similar game mechanics and plot devices. Granted that most of these fantasy rpg's are of similar make, I've had a number of 'oh yea' type deja vu moments while playing dragons age reminding me of nwn2 moments and bits. In some ways DA feels like a streamlined variation of nwn.

Being completely different beast's, its hard to say what you should chose. I'd get all of them really, now or later. The question is, what do you feel like playing now; an RPG, a survival FPS, or RTS?

Saolite
03-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Tough question, because I'm a very varied gamer. I play all of the above frequently. I just beat Metro 2033, I've got games ranging from Deux Ex to Mount and Blade to Borderlands to Napoleon Total War. Just trying to find something that I can pour a bit of hours into, or has some kind of sandbox -- something that has either long gameplay or high replayability.

But I do plan to get all of them, when I can. And I -was- going to get Settlers 7, but the new DRM kinda...yeah. Off topic. But still.

JagFel
03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Just trying to find something that I can pour a bit of hours into, or has some kind of sandbox -- something that has either long gameplay or high replayability.

Both DA and CoP have both of these really. On my first played throughs I spent 25+ hours in each, and now that Awakening is out I've spent almost 75 hours total with DA. If you haven't played the other STALKER games I would recommend getting those before CoP however.

I feel your pain on the variation though, genre's hold no boundaries for me either.

jfunk825
03-17-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't know much about DoD, but I would guess that Dragon Age probably has the most base content of the three.

I wouldn't call it sandbox by any means though. It's really a pretty linear game. You can do each "mission" in any order you want, but there really isn't any opportunity to go off the path and do "something else". Lots of opportunity for replay to make different choices, but I honestly have a hard time doing so. It's just boring to me to have to play the exact same quests over again. I'd love to be able to take alternate characters through the game in some kind of "story mode" where you just skip all the battles simply for the sake of seeing the different decision outcomes, but with so many other games to play I just can't bring myself to actually play through the entire game again just to try the various options.

FunkNasty420
03-17-2010, 09:34 AM
I just bought DAO ^^ It's pretty fun. I havn't played Pripyat yet but I like the first stalker even though it's friggin impossible. I decided to go for dragon age instead though because I am kinda burnt out on FPS's after beating Bioshock 2 and playing Metro 2033 for 24 hours straight.

Saolite
03-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Metro 2033 was a damn good game. Though from the sound of it, Dragon Age isn't really non-linear, just has vast amounts of content to keep people occupied with it.

Not saying it's a bad thing, or a bad game, at all. Just really on the fence now. Lol.

jfunk825
03-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Metro 2033 was a damn good game. Though from the sound of it, Dragon Age isn't really non-linear, just has vast amounts of content to keep people occupied with it.

Not saying it's a bad thing, or a bad game, at all. Just really on the fence now. Lol.

Yeah, it is linear for the most part. However, it is REALLY good and you do get to make LOTS of permanent decisions that impact the world a significant amount, which is very cool.

Just keep in mind that unlike something along the lines of an Elder Scrolls or Mount & Blade, you can't just decide to wander off into the wilderness to a random town and "make your own adventure". Think NWN evolved instead.

Again, not saying it's bad. It's the best RPG I've played in a LONG time. And there truly are LOTS of different choices to make and the world responds to different character types different ways (and you get unique starting areas for them...that's the "Origins" part). It's just that it is a purely story driven RPG, not an open-world exploration style.

Zimbu
03-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I haven't played Dawn of Discovery or Stalker: Call of Pripyat, so I can't really help compare the games at all.

What I can say though, is this. Steam indicates that I've logged 257 hours of gameplay in Dragon Age: Origins across 3.5 playthroughs, plus playing all the origins. Aside from some MMO's, I can't think of the last time I've spent that much time playing a single game. Even some of BioWare's previous games like Neverwinter Nights, or other "big" RPG's like Fallout 3 I only played for about 100 hours. That's how much I've been enjoying this game.

YMMV, but I would definitely give DA:O a "Buy" recommendation, especially for anyone who likes RPG's with strong characters, a good story, and great voice acting.

Quickdry
03-17-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm trying to decide what new game to get, and thus far, the choices are these three:

Dawn of Discovery
Dragon Age: Origins
Stalker: Call of Pripyat

I really like Dragon Age, so I vote for that. But since there's so much info already on it, I'll just warn you about Stalker. It's a super eastern block game. You can feel the russian dev team through the entire game. Those guys just have different ideas on how to make a game. It's very technical heavy, ok looking, and mildly buggy. It's the super gritty feeling that even goes into how guns handle. IE, they handly badly, which may be realistic, I dunno, I haven't shot assault rifles before.

It has a very depressing atmosphere (that a lot of eastern european games have) and does very little to hold your hand. I'm talking about degrading guns and armor, you'll die quite often from running into the wrong area at the wrong time, or when an anomaly decides to fry your ♥♥♥. I suggest you watch some gameplay footage (I'd suggest the Quicklook on Giant Bomb's website) before you decide. Stalker games are really aimed at a very specific subset of gamers.

More power to you if you like these, they're not bad games, but I'm not really a fan.

DIENER
03-17-2010, 03:48 PM
I got all 3 of them and I most say all are good games

Anno 1404 Dawn of Discovery
Well the game got me playing it for like 200hrs because it's just fun to build and get the economic right for the islands you settle while fight against other AI. But with the new expansion Venice you can play against or with other player over the internet.

Dragon Age Origins
Well it was fun in the beginning but it wasn't really fun it just got much content in my opinion but it was great in a way with the story.

STALKER Call of Pripyat
It was fun and the AI was great just like the other STALKER games but I would prefer STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl first if you haven't. It is a very free and open world to explore and that's what is great in this game.

JamieKirby1981
03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
I have DA:O and CoP.

Frankly I enjoy Dragons Age more.

CoP is fun, and a great open world sandbox, but it feels rather directionless and I had a difficult time getting started with the game as it just dumps you into the world with no introduction. I know that's part of the STALKER charm, but I didn't like having to spend a few hours figuring out how how the main plot lines worked. Once I got into the core of CoP though I have a blast.

Thats what makes Stalker games crap to me, its too open world for a FPS type game, it should be like Doom 3 or Quake 4......its just wrong on so many levels.

Mr.Ceefus
03-17-2010, 06:56 PM
da is a wonderful game

jfunk825
03-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Thats what makes Stalker games crap to me, its too open world for a FPS type game, it should be like Doom 3 or Quake 4......its just wrong on so many levels.

Just to offer an alternative view, I've only played the original Stalker and loved it for these very reasons.

Keep in mind I just played it this past year, so it was after 10 million patches. But, I just loved the "Hello, you're in a random crazy place...go make something happen" style of the game.

I wish more games were like that. Not that I don't like other styles. Dragon Age is in fact the exact opposite...tightly scripted, VERY well written story that I just get to participate in and choose "left or right" at many junctions. But, there are plenty of other story driven games (most not up to DA quality), and way too few open ended games.