PDA

View Full Version : SC-2 really a Failure?

danomano
03-17-2010, 04:34 PM
so..from what I can tell..there was a much bigger community when SC-1 was Released. I guess it shows that PC users just don't want dumbed down games after all and that SC-2 just isn't nearly as good as the original. Hope this doesn't mean they don't release a real sequel in the future.

Spiffington
03-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Well you come here with loaded expressions like "dumbed down" so I hope youre not expecting a proper debate here.

In truth the quality of a game is largely subjective, they tried something different with supcom 2 and not everyone likes it, and a lot of people are still playing the original.

Personally I like the new game, though mainly because it actually runs on my laptop fairly well.

Then again the original really benefited from its expansion, maybe the sequel will be the same.

Apheirox
03-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Not again... Oh dear almighty ACU in the sky, not again!

ThadiusCole
03-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I really like the sequel, although I would like to see something closer to the unit variety of SC1, its still a good game on its own merits. I really wanted to play SC1 and the expansion but it never ran very well on my system and still doesn't now with a much improved PC.

"Dumbed down"? You baiting someone?

LA Snow
03-17-2010, 04:53 PM
so..from what I can tell..there was a much bigger community when SC-1 was Released. I guess it shows that PC users just don't want dumbed down games after all and that SC-2 just isn't nearly as good as the original. Hope this doesn't mean they don't release a real sequel in the future.

What are you talking about? I could NEVER find more than about 5 online games the whole time SupCom and FA were out. I think that SupCom 2 has way more online opponents than SupCom ever did.

MCS500
03-17-2010, 05:14 PM
How do you expect a small developer like GPG to make a sequel if everyone is slamming this version? I see far more complaining for the sake of complaining than I do good suggestions for improvement.

Xenesis
03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
It can't be doing too badly - it seems GPG has the freedom and resources to plug problems as they're arising as opposed to having to wait for the publisher's 'yes okay you're allowed to edit a number in a file'.

ThadiusCole
03-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Also its good to see a publisher listening to its community and patching quickly, rather than leaving it for months before releasing a half arsed patch, which unbalances the game or simply ignored most of the issues with the game from day one.

Friendliest
03-17-2010, 06:43 PM
so..from what I can tell..there was a much bigger community when SC-1 was Released. I guess it shows that PC users just don't want dumbed down games after all and that SC-2 just isn't nearly as good as the original. Hope this doesn't mean they don't release a real sequel in the future.Well, in the sense that the negative comments I've heard about the game -- in general: shallowness and betrayal of core franchise elements -- have killed any interest I had in it, even at a low-commitment level such as checking out the demo, I'd have to say "yeah, it's a failure". (And this is even speaking from a "just got a new graphics card and looking for new games to check out" standpoint!)

The feedback I've heard is basically the worst possible news I could hear about any game sequel of interest -- again, "simplified this", "made more accessible that". It's repulsive in the literal sense. The nerfing of the unit cap, alone, was enough for me to give this game a "meh". (Couldn't run the old one with massive unit cap anyway but at least it gave me something to shoot for, building a new PC! ;) More developers need to understand that getting there is half the fun, instead of laying out "achievement" on a silver platter. But the unwashed masses don't really want challenge; they just want instant, effortless gratification. And the suits, well... let's not even get started on that.)

This builds on the reputation that GPG already has with me, which is, despite many hours of playing DS and DS2, their games have this (sometimes-not-too-) subtle "this is overly simplistic, shallow, and generic" vibe going on.*

The negativity is all-too believable.

There's "true improvement" and then there's "generification to sell more product (especially to console people)". Guess which games I give a crap about and might actually buy...

PC users just don't want dumbed down games...yep. this-on-a-stick.

...after allAfter what "all"? ;) This point was never in debate, in my world; it's just misguided game developers that thought so. :(

I know that phrase was just some rhetorical flavor, but I wanted to make the point.

-----------

*Some points of serious respect, though: the desert and the Pit of Despair in DS1. Who explored those things?? I did! It was arduous, and I didn't relish the thought of going back to either one very often, but I give GPG high praise for at least putting them in there. Heck, my weakness and reluctance to meet these challenges more often is probably just due to being conditioned by too many games that offered nowhere near that level of intrigue.

For those unfamiliar, by the way: the desert was a trackless, featureless ... um, desert ... in which you would ultimately find some cool pyramid dungeons if you searched hard enough. But we're talking 5 minutes of straight walking with no encounters and few if any landmarks. i.e. orders of magnitude longer than the theoretical/developer-perceived "average gamer" attention span -- and that's once you know where you're going! The first time you explore it, it wouldn't be out of the question for you to literally be "lost" hunting around for an hour to either find the pyramids or find your way out. "OOOOH too deep! Too scary! Give me one-button-WoW please!" Trust me: it was fun.

And the pit was a 3-level underground dungeon with a very maze-like layout, pitch black, where your character's light radius was only 2-3 scale meters so it took a long time to navigate. Unfortunately your multi-hour ordeal was rewarded by some junky loot, so, some bad design genericness to be critical of there, yet again! Don't think I ran it more than twice, TBH. A phatter reward at the end would probably have changed that, of course.

Palmerific
03-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Also its good to see a publisher listening to its community and patching quickly, rather than leaving it for months before releasing a half arsed patch, which unbalances the game or simply ignored most of the issues with the game from day one.

here here. I for one am super happy to see this new patch come out so soon addressing so many issues. If they keep this up, I just might hold off buying Starcraft 2. (emphasis on might)

hobo.lord
03-18-2010, 07:16 AM
here here. I for one am super happy to see this new patch come out so soon addressing so many issues. If they keep this up, I just might hold off buying Starcraft 2. (emphasis on might)

lol StarCraft is a completely diff. game, I know a lot of ppl draw comparisions b/w StarCraft and supcom2, but that's b/c they are buthurt not because they are similar games. Star Craft is all about micro supcom 2 is all about strategy.

Latrodectus
03-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Don't feed the troll.

Viscule
03-19-2010, 04:56 AM
No.

Random because No. is just not long enough.