PDA

View Full Version : For you considering a purchase...

El Vultu
03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
I realize that there are a bunch of players out there coming to these forums for information about this game. I think there are some things you should know, and also, I would like to mention that I'm kind of biased towards the game, but read on anyway, as you'll be surprised. Also, if you don't believe what I say, look at the wiki (http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Call_of_Duty_Wiki). Here are my top complains.

The spawn system. It's trash, basically. It gives you the idea that you spawn near team mates, but sometimes it'll put you on the other side of the map for no reason at all. Sometimes it'll respawn you behind an enemy, sometimes it'll respawn you in the same location you're defending even if you're alone, sometimes it will spawn you where there is absolutely nothing going on and make you run half a mile to go back into the action. In my opinion, the worst spawn system I've ever seen and I've played a lot of FPS games. Earlier CoD games' spawn system prioritized safety, then then team mates. In this game, don't be surprised if you spawn, then immedietly explode or similar.

The lag. There's a 'natural' lag, no matter how great your ping is, even on lan, there will be times where you fire off two shotgun shells, die and then see yourself not firing at all while witnessing your own death through the killcam. This also includes those times you thought you were behind a wall, but then you teleport back into the open and die. The hit detections hilariously takes a hit during lag, as the hitboxes seems to sway everywhere even when your indicator shows the second best kind of ping. Sometimes you'll kill someone by firing where they're going, sometimes by where they were and sometimes by where they actually are.

The lobby system. It works pretty well, just a few errors but they don't cause that much trouble. It's generally just a matter of clicking the same gametype over and over a few times.

Balancing. People say that IW has done balance tweaks in the past, but I think they're just undercover IW Agents trying to promote the game somehow. There are big flaws in the balance between weapons and the grenade launchers (Often called Noobtubes, with good reason) are Working as Intended, meaning they won't be nerfed even though they are blatantly overused. Some guns are neigh-useless, like the Desert Eagle, the TMP, the Intervention and some others. They're basically cheap copies of other guns that have downright better stats.

The in-game community. I thought TF2 had dumb players, but this game is a black hole of intellect. Stupidity isn't the only factor, even though I still see 4th prestigers standing on their own claymore after planting it. Some just don't care about the gametype, they're just there to up their kill count. I've never completed a sabotage round, as both teams always end up just running around shooting, but don't worry, you can play other gametypes where the round will end eventually. Don't expect any teamplay. I can tell you that camping isn't that much of a problem, thanks to the generous amount of grenades that work well against campers. In general, a camper will only kill you once before you can return to him and kill him, which you will at least attempt as you'll get 50 more xp for a payback.

The cheaters. Yes, there are cheaters, and a ton of them. Wallhackers, aimbotters and rankhackers. I've played this for a few months and lately I've encountered at least one obvious cheater per day. However, take potential cheaters with a grain of salt as they may just be pretty good players and not cheaters at all. But if you're on top of the building on High Rise and someone follows your random sprinting with a hail of bullets from below you or camping behind an obstacle only to fire out right through without even seeing you, well, they're obvious cheaters. A fun thing to do is to add them to friends. If they accept, you can try to keep track of when they're banned, or if they won't be banned, then complain to the VAC guys. I hear they appreciate the colorful expressions.

When you reach level 70 and you've maxed out the xp bar, you can go into the Barracks and press the "Prestige Mode" button to starting your prestige. When you max our your xp, there's no mention of the prestige, so that's why I'm stating it here.

My personal recommendation? If you're happy with your current FPS game, you might want to look away from this one. If you're looking for something new, sure, try this, but be prepared for a potential letdown.

If anyone would like to add anything, go ahead. I mostly put this up to have more people avoid the shock from this game's crappy sides. This game does have great sides, but it's a crap-in-a-chocolate cake situation.

-=maDMan=-
03-17-2010, 06:06 PM
ITT: Old News

Mastershroom
03-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Good post, Vultu, but maDMan's right. This is pretty much a collection of things we've all known about for months now. :)

Jimmy McNulty
03-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I disagree.

It's about newcomers to the game, not what we already know.

It can never get old, because unless there will be a total meltdown, it will always have new gamers.

Good post.

Mastershroom
03-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Fair point. I guess for a new player, it's rather informative, although it's pretty rare to see anyone browse these forums before buying.

Edwin2310
03-17-2010, 09:01 PM
i agree in most things...except the thing about the spawn system
if you notice the more clear example is FFA
you kill someone and he appears at the nearest place near u without no one in his sight