PDA

View Full Version : invincible recon?

LucienL
03-18-2010, 07:42 AM
I just lost a game where my opponent wiped out my 5 king tigers, 4 marders, and 8 infantry squads. See, he had a single light recon unit near all of those. So I told them to attack it. My units were constantly in firing range of the light recon but didn't shoot once. This went on for about four minutes with his recon unit backing up SLOWLY and my entire army deciding to not shoot at it. He sent out a dozen fighter bombers over time and I lost everything.

So seriously how the ♥♥♥♥ do I take care of invincible retreating recon?

DrakenLord
03-18-2010, 08:22 AM
So seriously how the ♥♥♥♥ do I take care of invincible retreating recon?
Many ways :

- fighter/bomber, one F/B one shots an armored scout
- Blitz so your units can catch up with it
- light+ tanks
- Long range anti tank unit

Space111
03-18-2010, 08:28 AM
I hate to say things are over powered, but German recon is too much. One has a very long recon range and is very fast - the other one can destroy 2 Heavy tanks - even when spotted ffs! (Happened to me last night)

DrakenLord
03-18-2010, 08:32 AM
I hate to say things are over powered, but German recon is too much. One has a very long recon range and is very fast - the other one can destroy 2 Heavy tanks - even when spotted ffs! (Happened to me last night)
??

Germans have only two recons. One can't attack, and the other has VERY light armor and is very vulnerable vs tanks.

It must have been in a forest and ambushed you, that is all. Even soldiers can kill heavy tanks from prototype base if they ambush from forest or town.

Also AFAIK all ground recon have the same range, even if the description says otherwise. Just put them next to each other and you will see that the recon "circle" has the same size.

bmaker
03-18-2010, 08:37 AM
I think he talks about the PUMA (german prototype recon unit with even more armor/power).

Cant imagine a PUMA pwning heavy tanks though.

Agathorn1975
03-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Its called kiting. By micromanaging your unit you can take advantage of the longer range and faster speed. Just like reality. There is a reason not every unit was made big, armored, and slow.

DrakenLord
03-18-2010, 09:42 AM
The french medium tank SAU is a fine example of this. With its very long range it can kill heavy tanks and even anti tank long range guns by micromanaging it so it stays out of enemy range.

bmaker
03-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Its called kiting. By micromanaging your unit you can take advantage of the longer range and faster speed. Just like reality. There is a reason not every unit was made big, armored, and slow.
Dont recon units already do this on their own? Moving back slowly to stay out of the enemy vehicle's range. Or are there some exceptions?

Agathorn1975
03-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Dont recon units already do this on their own? Moving back slowly to stay out of the enemy vehicle's range. Or are there some exceptions?

To some extent yes, but i've not found units behavior to be 100% consistent personally.

Space111
03-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Exactly and with a puma you cant get close. Ive just played a game where aa was covering it to. so i couldnt get fighters bombers or bombers close. You cant get inf close either. I built TEN Katyusha to hit - not even a scratch. In the end it required jumbo tanks and arty on his AT (which he had built by then) . Its too much for a little cheap recon, which its is easy to spam. Pumas ( which were spotted so not surprise attacks here) should not hold back and very large and powerful army so easily!

The 2 Heavy tanks that one of them killed, were against a Brit heavy tank iirc - but even so - its stupid that a spotted recon could do that.

bmaker
03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Exactly and with a puma you cant get close. Ive just played a game where aa was covering it to. so i couldnt get fighters bombers or bombers close. You cant get inf close either. I built TEN Katyusha to hit - not even a scratch. In the end it required jumbo tanks and arty on his AT (which he had built by then) . Its too much for a little cheap recon, which its is easy to spam. Pumas ( which were spotted so not surprise attacks here) should not hold back and very large and powerful army so easily!

The 2 Heavy tanks that one of them killed, were against a Brit heavy tank iirc - but even so - its stupid that a spotted recon could do that.
Yes, they can be extremely annoying. I think armored assault artillery would be a good try to get rid of this. And if you cant destroy the PUMA itself, take out the AA etc. with the assault artillery and finally send your fighter bombers.

Armored Assault artillery is so underestimated...

DrakenLord
03-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Its too much for a little cheap recon, which its is easy to spam. Pumas ( which were spotted so not surprise attacks here) should not hold back and very large and powerful army so easily!
The PUMA costs 30$, and factor in the cost of the 100$ prototype base too. It is anything but cheap, and thus I say it is balanced.

Space111
03-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Yes, they can be extremely annoying. I think armored assault artillery would be a good try to get rid of this. And if you cant destroy the PUMA itself, take out the AA etc. with the assault artillery and finally send your fighter bombers.

Armored Assault artillery is so underestimated...

Had 4 of them before the 10 Katyusha - still did nothing.

As for the prototype argument - that's a basic base for germans. The french have a prototype armed recon, and it certainly isn't as strong.

DrakenLord
03-18-2010, 12:26 PM
As for the prototype argument - that's a basic base for germans. The french have a prototype armed recon, and it certainly isn't as strong.
Err, the french proto recon is 5$ cheaper, has better armor (45mm while PUMA as 30mm), and does more damage to tanks. (The French copied the PUMA design and improved on it.)