PDA

View Full Version : [CSSfps] how much should i get?

p5666ych0
03-19-2010, 12:32 PM
hey im now playing Counter strike source like a couple years on a pentium 4
first 2 and a half years went perfect but like 6 months ago something strange happend to me.
im getting like 10-30 less fps then i normaly got.

SPECS :
Pentium 4
X1650
2GB RAM
directX9.0c

Without fps config :40-60 fps
With fps config : 45-70 fps :S

isnt that really low?

greetz.

azmothman
03-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Actually you getting those scores based on your rig then you should be pleased. Is it lagging while you are playing? If it is then this could also be related to your internet connection. I would verify that you have updated all your drivers and also ensured that your disk is defragged.

p5666ych0
03-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Actually you getting those scores based on your rig then you should be pleased. Is it lagging while you are playing? If it is then this could also be related to your internet connection. I would verify that you have updated all your drivers and also ensured that your disk is defragged.

its not my ping standard ping = 15-30

Defragging is hopeless :S
One day i went to school at like 8.00 AM
I came back home at 15.30 PM
the defragging was @ 8% forthelose?

Kaboom
03-19-2010, 12:44 PM
60fps is the perfect performance anything above is above your screens refresh rate. For your computer it is very good.

if your playing on a server that is over the atlantic then your computer will be held up while it gets data from other players this can look like 10fps.

p5666ych0
03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
60fps is the perfect performance anything above is above your screens refresh rate. For your computer it is very good.

its is like 60 fps in 2v2 situations.
but in like 5v5 pcw's and mixes it goes down to 30-40 :s
my screen refresh rate is 60;d

azmothman
03-19-2010, 12:47 PM
its not my ping standard ping = 15-30

Defragging is hopeless :S
One day i went to school at like 8.00 AM
I came back home at 15.30 PM
the defragging was @ 8% forthelose?

Next time try booting into safe mode and then launch the defrag. There are some better defrag utilities than what the OS provides. Here is a good one: http://www.mydefrag.com/

p5666ych0
03-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Next time try booting into safe mode and then launch the defrag. There are some better defrag utilities than what the OS provides. Here is a good one: http://www.mydefrag.com/

Aight thankss trying it know see if it improves my perf.

Kaboom
03-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Defrag will only improve load times, once the games is in the Ram the hard drive doesnt matter. If theirs more people in the game then your computer has to do more work if theirs more than two people then one computer has to be the host and has more CPU used. Your computer is about 6 years old so I wouldnt worry about 40fps. DVDS run at 25fps

Hiroshima
03-19-2010, 02:15 PM
That looks right to me, I had about those spec.s back when Pentium D came out. And I had that FPS.

defragen1911
03-19-2010, 06:41 PM
actually there are several things that effect the overall bottleneck and render times
its possible to have 400fps and get 16ms+ bottleneck if you're some dickass who maxes out anti aliasing

you want to have at least 100fps to get optimal networking
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/858/downnx.jpg

to check your bottleneck
create a server and put sv_cheats 1
and in console type +showbudget
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8109/dedust20000dt.jpg
the goal is to have 1ms or lower
5-8ms is pretty good but anything above 8ms is a pretty big handicap
and you will notice a delay in your mousing from all the bottleneck

And yea your fps is low!
UPGRADING is the only real solution .. I wouldn't even bother with fps configs.. its not like they'll stop u from actually lagging
I recommend upgrading your cpu to modern quadcore because source is mostly cpu dependent .. and then your gfx card

if your playing on a server that is over the atlantic then your computer will be held up while it gets data from other players this can look like 10fps.

I wouldn't listen to kaboom's advice because with that mindset its only a setup for failure... 60fps is not enough LOL
Like I said before you need at least 100fps for optimal networking

I for one have a 120hz monitor so I can see up to 120 fps from what my videocard is rendering
but that's not important
Even if you don't see a difference ( with my eyes... because I know there are ppl in here that will try to argue with me on how much fps your eyes can see and all that crap ) you will feel it
Because bottenecking is a simple concept " you are as strong as your weakest link "
so if something is lagging up your game to like 20ms everything then evrything else is gonna be delayed that much
and you will feel it in your mousing

Mark316
03-19-2010, 06:45 PM
It's your pentium 4 bro. You could try hoovering out the dust from your CPU Heatsink fan and also your GPU fan. If either one is getting too hot they'll downclock themselves and give you less FPS.

Sheepdawg
03-20-2010, 04:21 AM
no need for a quad core...unless you plan o continuing to game into the future. as of right now(bar a few exceptions) games can not utilize more that 2 cores...if they even support that.

i have a quad core 4gram and 1g gfx card. i get the same FPS(maybe slightly more) i did with my dual core...in CSS that is.

i had an e6600...2.4g core 2 duo so no need to go buy a dual or quad core extreme...like i said not for CSS anyways

Sheepdawg
03-20-2010, 04:24 AM
also on another note...try disabling some of your service in the background. here is a good site with varios OS;s on it, and instructions on how to do so. he even included all the services for said OS and give u options like 'default, safe, tweaked, and barebones. Ive used the tweaked profile on my vista machine, and never ever had an issue...except with the virtual disk beign diabled(had no way to reformat my new hdd from in the oss untill i reenabled it.

also if you dont feel comfortable DISABLING serviesm you can set them to manual, which just means its there if a app needs it, but its not loaded on startup

dejavecue
03-21-2010, 02:57 AM
Your computer is about 6 years old so I wouldnt worry about 40fps. DVDS run at 25fps

Wow, blatant misunderstanding of framerate in games and movies....thought this myth was "unriddled" years ago...

Anyway, all has been said...aim for 100 fps at all times...