PDA

View Full Version : Countering Artillery

Pip
03-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Me and my friends are noobs to this game it seems compared to most people (This is my first RTS type game). We seem to manage fine until they enemy gets artillery in attacking range. What do we use to fight off these things.

To kill two birds with one stone. Are all the countries equal in strength. Or do some have more power than others?

Agathorn1975
03-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Artillery is great versus buildings, or tightly grouped infantry, but extremely ineffective against armor, or planes. It also is pretty bad against infantry if you keep them moving and don't clump them up.

Dive bombers if you can, or light tanks otherwise are my preferred method for dealing with artillery. Assuming it is by itself.

Gmer_freak
03-19-2010, 01:10 PM
The Russian artillery seems bad-♥♥♥ compared to others, but maybe that's just me....

Agathorn1975
03-19-2010, 01:23 PM
The Russian artillery seems bad-♥♥♥ compared to others, but maybe that's just me....

It has nice range, but if you look at the stats on it. It does almost no damage to anything with armor on it. Especially the bunkers.

The Russian ISU 122 is the best against armored units, and does a WHOPPING 5,3,1,1,0 - level 1 armor to level 5 respectively.

Compare that to even the BA11 armored recon which does 15,9,6,4,3 against armor.

LucienL
03-19-2010, 02:59 PM
If they're building unarmored artillery (the cannons with really high range) then they are extremely vulnerable to just about everything. A single aircraft can take them out, or you could build some armored artillery to counter it if you can move them in close enough. The long-range artillery cannons are typically really bad at killing anything other than buildings.

Armored artillery have much less range so fighter bombers, medium tanks, tank destroyers, assault guns, anything strong against tanks can take them out. Because they have to get closer they'll usually have less defenses around them. If you're playing a small map and they are heavily defended, camo+radio silence, and build up an army to counter them. Considering they've spent money on artillery you'll have more money left than he does.

Just don't keep building units with no or light armor when your enemy starts using artillery.

Arcbound22
03-19-2010, 03:21 PM
personally i play usa and they tend to have a tough art so i can usually take the other guys art before he takes mine out, but i also radio silence, and camo my most forward position, other wise, like others aid you can just take them out with tanks, or planes, but first try to see if the art is not protected by at or aa's.

StakeX
03-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Dive bombers if you can, or light tanks otherwise are my preferred method for dealing with artillery. Assuming it is by itself.

This is really vital for your method.

When I use artillery (providing I have the time) I like to make sure I have 4-8 heavy tanks and at least some anti-air cover around it and a few fighters never hurt if I can afford them. That way its nearly impossible to take out without a huge fight... and if its not taken out RIGHT AWAY, its almost always too late for the other team, and I can simply walk it forward into range and rain hell on their base. Some might call it cheap, I call it a good combined arms attack :).

What can you do to counter it, from someone who loves artillery? Heres a list:

1. Well the absolute most effective thing someone can do is quickly get a sizable force, even if its light tanks (Heavy are far better tho). That way, when the artillery starts you can move in and take it out before its dug in too well. If its hidden behind a forest or town make sure you have recon with you to counter hidden troops and anti-tank guns. If its early in the game and they have a lot of artty... odds are they don't have a lot of heavy tanks because they aren't cheap so you really have to watch for the cheap, but effective infantry/AT in the woods.

2. Use Camo nets and radio silence Ruses. This is your best defense for your base area. This makes it impossible to direct fire into your base and allows you to build up units under cover.

IMPORTANT: If you are using artillery yourself from your hidden base, make sure its away from buildings or light units because when it fires it becomes attackable even under radio silence... and if its next to your buildings the odds are they will die in the attack. I've killed a lot of bases because people will have firing artillery units sitting next to buildings that are hidden... and I can simply tell my units to shoot them, and it ends up killing buildings in the process.

3. Control the map. Like to sit back in your nice safe base and build up? Do that with me and you'll most certainly lose, especially on larger maps (small maps its kinda moot point since leveled up artty can hit most of the map from your base). My strategy is often to get to the center of the map as fast as possible and then build up my artillery. But if you rush to the center as well then the battle will take place there and away from your base. Sitting back, even if you build a large army while doing so, will result in constant fire on your base and almost certain doom.

4. Air power is good, but don't expect it to always work. A well set up player or team will always have AA or fighters, especially around artillery positions. So while enough planes might be able to break through... it can be very expensive to send waves of air power into an area guarded with ample AA. A large ground army of heavy tanks is your best bet in such a situation.

5. Fight fire with fire. If your playing a team who controls the map and is using a lot of artillery fire.... well return fire yourself. Again its not a good idea to do so from right next to your base, because if they attack your artillery stray rounds may well hit your buildings.

6. Teamwork and combined arms win the day. If it sounds like most of my advice is geared towrds larger games... thats because it is (all I really play). So the final piece of advise is to work together as well as possible. Its far more effective for two/three/four players to rush to the middle then it is for one. And it really helps if you all focus on a different unit type at the start. One of you builds mostly tanks, the other air cover, and someone artillery. Of course everyone should build as much of each as possible but at the start its good to have some sort of plan. If everyones just building tanks, your going to get killed form the air for example.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Being someone who's quite fond of artillery... thats what I believe to be the most effective counters to it. While it doesn't seem it at first... RUSE really does require a lot of strategy. So I hope that helps you next time you run into an artty heavy player.

Agathorn1975
03-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Well in ANY case, mixed units are always going to be a pain to deal with. That is why you should always have mixed units :)

StakeX
03-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Well in ANY case, mixed units are always going to be a pain to deal with. That is why you should always have mixed units :)

Yeah... I guess that would be the general idea of the text block up there :). Oh, and dont forget the RUSEs... Camo netting and radio silence = huge pain for artillery people .

Pip
03-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Good information, StakeX. I will use it, thanks for the time it took you to type that. +Rep

"Like to sit back in your nice safe base and build up? Do that with me and you'll most certainly lose"
Guilty of this.

Garr123
03-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Just keep harassing them and they wont have the ability to spam enough defense on their artillery position, and if they do, it means they've invested so heavily in that position that their base and supply depots will be relatively vulnerable.

Also, assault guns own most artillery flat out. Especially the bunker/building variety.

Papa
03-20-2010, 03:27 AM
Well most artillery can be beaten by artillery aswell. Escpecially if you have USA and take the armored artillery.

If you have another nation that has armored artillery aswell you should counter with it, because after you have dealt with their artillery they now have to deal with yours and that ain't as easy.

Armored artillery can only be taken by tanks, fighter-bomber (not bombers!) and AT-weaponry.

So put some anti air next to it and some AT and you have a VERY good force that is hard to kill.

bigcheese1
03-21-2010, 08:25 AM
french light arty is a bit OP 10$ a pop and they have amazing accuracy. They do have short range but they are a amazing support unit or something to just sneak up with and harass then enemy depot with.

3Form
03-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Artillery seems to be the noob spam unit of choice, but against any player with a modicum of sense your artillery is going to get eaten alive.

I really don't think it's worth going for artillery straight off the bat. They need recon to be useful, and the units they counter (unarmoured AA, unarmoured AT, Fortifications & Massed Infantry) are not really what you'd expect to be rushed with.
Without cover your recons will get eaten by tanks, and then its a simple case of attack moving the tanks in to mop the arty up.

Arty is really situational IMO. I rarely use it, especially as I mostly play French who have an assault gun mounted on the adv med tank, perfect for taking out early bunker pushes. And perfect for taking out light AT.