PDA

View Full Version : Character Transfer

IAmTheCandyman
03-19-2010, 02:03 PM
I've seen quite a few threads asking about character transfer from one PC to another, so I know it's possible. My issue is that I already have a Soldier on this PC, and want to bring Brick from my laptop onto this PC. I've tried transferring the .sav files, and renaming one of them to Save0002 instead of Save0001, but loading the Save0002 just overwrites Save0001 (I backed up my Soldier, fortunately). Does anyone know how to properly and permanently transfer a character across two PCs?

jiminator
03-19-2010, 02:23 PM
hrm, that is a good question. maybe there is something in the file which indicates what save to write. I'd probably check the gearbox forums. There may be some setting that the willow gamefile editor allows you to change.

IAmTheCandyman
03-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I was looking through the files with Notepad and Wordpad, and I was unable to find anything indicating save files. I had some garbage characters, and a bunch of weapon and mission data. Will the Willow editor translate this into something understandable?

jiminator
03-19-2010, 03:35 PM
maybe. I think you can find links to the download here:
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=88209

sweetbeard
03-19-2010, 04:11 PM
I've seen quite a few threads asking about character transfer from one PC to another, so I know it's possible. My issue is that I already have a Soldier on this PC, and want to bring Brick from my laptop onto this PC. I've tried transferring the .sav files, and renaming one of them to Save0002 instead of Save0001, but loading the Save0002 just overwrites Save0001 (I backed up my Soldier, fortunately). Does anyone know how to properly and permanently transfer a character across two PCs?

Do yourself a favor actually create a second character and play with it for about 10 min until you finish a mission or 2. like talk to tk or buy a shield..

then replace the Save0002 with your brick named Save0002 and it will work.

Axianamos
03-19-2010, 04:33 PM
a hex editor should work to actually rename it.

pixelante15
03-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Using willow tree will allow you select which save "slot" the save actually goes in. I've sent one of my friends my char and he just gave it a new slot number and renamed it appropriately.

IAmTheCandyman
03-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll be sure to test this tomorrow morning. Thank you!

EDIT: Tested a new file and overwriting that with Brick, which immediately overwrote the Soldier. Going to try editing the only slot in the SaveInfo tab in WillowTree that has a 1 and change it to a 2, and see what happens.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu203/IAmTheCandyman/WillowTreeBrick.png

IAmTheCandyman
03-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Sorry to double post, but just for emphasis, thank you to jiminator and pixelante15 for your help. It seems to be working properly now, with the magical editing powers of WillowTree! Thank you!

P.S. If you can tell me how to give rep, I will, though it's possible I'm not allowed to until I'm a higher forum level. I couldn't find any info on the rep system.

thePyro_13
03-20-2010, 09:52 PM
P.S. If you can tell me how to give rep, I will, though it's possible I'm not allowed to until I'm a higher forum level. I couldn't find any info on the rep system.

Click the scales under their user names.

IAmTheCandyman
03-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Click the scales under their user names.

I assumed as much, but I only see scales on MY name, which I take to imply I can't give rep yet since I've made no reputation myself. Ah well. If I ever access it, I'll try to get back and give some here. Thanks for all the help, guys!