PDA

View Full Version : Chell is an... *spoilers(?)*

skizzo321
03-19-2010, 09:13 PM
After looking at the Portal ARG media that has been added to the web (thank you all who solved the riddles when I dismissed it) and have come to the conclusion that Chell is an orphan.

The main reason?

An Aperture Science Internal Memo from the BBS describing the "Human Enrichment & Testing Initiative, Resource Acquisitions" (http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/File:05083881.801.png)

The second entry is especially interesting:

"b. Child Orphans and Foundlings

Deep-rooted abandonment issues leave most orphans highly susceptible to shame-based psychology (for a complete list of opportune moments to obliterate the esteem of test subjects, please consult Training Video #89-D, "You'd Perform This Test Better if You Had Parents"). Recent advances in the use of scorn, flattery used in an ironic context and naked contempt as motivational tools have yielded similarly profitable results."

This sounds exactly like the verbal treatment that GLaDOS gives to Chell, especially after the escape where she tells you that Chell was adopted. Adopted by Aperture Science maybe?

I pretty much disagree with all the "Chell is an android" theories, but here is some convincing evidence that suggests maybe GLaDOS wasn't lying about this.

And possibly the people that hid or left notes to Chell when she escaped? Maybe they were the letter 'c'...

SeizureDude
03-19-2010, 10:34 PM
<Facepalm>
10Facepalms

Some_weirdGuy
03-19-2010, 11:22 PM
seizure dude, what is the facepalm for? this is much better those most of the crazy crap that people usually come up with

twister06
03-20-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm pretty sure Chell isn't an android anyway. In the dev commentary they tell us that they added the stuff to her legs as sort of an excuse for her being able to fall without taking damage.
Yeah, I can't remember what those leg thingies are called.

skizzo321
03-20-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm not saying that this is a fact, but merely a conclusion that I came to while looking at the ARG images and info.

This is at least some evidence, though indirect, outside of GLaDOS's ramblings that points to what she said as being true.

Does it state that "Chell is an orphan" ? No. But experiencing the game again, you can look at the last three suggested methods of motivating an orphan are similar to what GLaDOS talked about during all of the test chambers.

And Chell being an orphan is not as far fetched as Chell being an android.

Chezzy
03-20-2010, 01:01 AM
You may be onto something OP. I remember GlaDOS saying that you're adopted too, which supports this idea. Although, that could have just been GlaDOS trying to break your spirit.

Zekiran
03-20-2010, 01:26 AM
I think that Chell could be any of those things, but in somewhat descending order:

Orphan (-ed by the 'Bring your daughter to work day' coinciding with GLaDOS being turned on...)
Clone (-ed by GLaDOS when she realized she'd killed all the other potential test subjects)
Android (made when even the clones run out, or a clone with augmented parts?)

Ninto55
03-20-2010, 05:53 AM
Well yeah bring your daughter to work day helps. I belive during that day, they killed all scientists (they being GLaDOS) and stuck them all in these chambers. Making them do what GLaDOS wanted for their life back. Chell however was open many years later after the incident and in now more grown. That is if they age in those odd chambers. Maybe being in so long she has lost her memories.

Solarmech
03-20-2010, 06:17 AM
The POrtal has stated that Chell is not an android. Be interesting, though a bit of a dead end if Chell was GLaDOS's daughter. sm

the unloved
03-20-2010, 06:28 AM
in most sci fi media androids have white blood.

does chell have white blood?

and i think glados only uses that for a joke, if the fact that the player was an orphan was a major plot twist someone would get pissed of

skizzo321
03-20-2010, 01:16 PM
You may be onto something OP. I remember GlaDOS saying that you're adopted too, which supports this idea. Although, that could have just been GlaDOS trying to break your spirit.

If she was trying to break your spirit, it's very well possible that she would be using methods referred to in the memo:

"b. Child Orphans and Foundlings
Deep-rooted abandonment issues leave most orphans highly susceptible to shame-based psychology (for a complete list of opportune moments to obliterate the esteem of test subjects, please consult Training Video #89-D, "You'd Perform This Test Better if You Had Parents"). Recent advances in the use of scorn, flattery used in an ironic context and naked contempt as motivational tools have yielded similarly profitable results."

Again, referring to the little blurb is really the only thing that I can base Chell's past on. With GLaDOS's comment being a starting point, and the fact that this points to something said in the first game, I'm just making a theory with at least some evidence.

EllOhEll
03-20-2010, 01:23 PM
I thought everyone had already guessed this. :confused:

skizzo321
03-20-2010, 01:40 PM

I thought so too, but I did a bunch of searches and nobody had written or connected the memo from the ARG to the possibility of Chell being an orphan. So I decided to do a post anyway.

nickp17
03-22-2010, 11:00 AM

they did.

bigcow200
03-22-2010, 11:42 AM
glados killed chells parent and chell made a full grown clone
she is an orpah and a clone

MADDOGGE
03-22-2010, 12:19 PM
An Aperture Science Internal Memo from the BBS describing the "Human Enrichment & Testing Initiative, Resource Acquisitions" (http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/File:05083881.801.png)I found the reference to invisibility in 1.d quite interesting myself.

Chell was one of those ungrateful to both parents or family runaway type boozer kids living on the streets before Aperture opened their loving arms to her. Just see how she paid back that loving care. Ungrateful gutter snipe.:rolleyes:

STEELCITY32
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
I think that she got cloned during Aperture Science Bring Your Daughter to Work Day.