PDA

View Full Version : For all C&C fans

HistoricKeeper
03-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Great game fun to play BUTthis game is not C&C as you would of hoped the last C&C game to be.

No base building no harvesting confusing as hell MCV's unit cap at crazy low end looks and plays like an XBOX port.

If there had been a demo I wouldn't of payed for this, as it is I got it gave it a good go.
Now I'm heading back too 3 that was a true C&C game.
have fun all :D

renegader250
03-20-2010, 03:47 PM
k welcome to 4month ago

loa1452
03-20-2010, 04:04 PM
I too was expecting a complete re-hash of the thousands of base building games of the past. To think they did something different is an insult to gamers. Why couldn't they have done something real innovative and made the exact same game again!!

The above was sarcasm, but I do like the game. Why do so many people hate change.

Sepulch
03-20-2010, 04:42 PM
There is one general misunderstanding, this game is to be the last C&C within the Tiberium saga, not the last C&C game. Why is doing something different an insult ? Starcraft 2 beta players are insulted cause Blizzard offers little more than Starcraf 1 in high resolution, EA gets heat for trying something else instead of a copy&paste of last years formula.

I mean haven't we been building bases enough for the past 15 years with this franchise ? Why is it such a big deal if the developers wanted to pursue a different direction. All this complaining is doing is forcing them to believe milking the cow and offer copy&paste sequels is still the way to go.

delusionalsyko
03-20-2010, 05:20 PM
There does seem to be a bit of a contradiction in the RTS industry right now, doesn't there? "SC2 is just the same as SC1! This sucks!" "Supcom1/C&C4/etc/etc are nothing like the originals! They should have just stuck with the old way!" But the contradiction is only superficial - RTS gamers DO want something new, but we want new improvements.

C&C4 and other games that have taken this direction (SupCom 2, another prime example), they're not adding to the game - they're stripping away gameplay to make it a far simpler, far more casual game, in the hopes of appealling to a wider userbase, i.e. consolers. And consoles do not have as much control flexibility - making complex games like RTS's awkward and clunky. Hence, the stripping of as many awkward and clunky things (like base management) as possible.

Leaving PC gamers to wonder why nobody loves them anymore. :(

Deltasparky
03-21-2010, 04:16 PM
some is remaking c&c4
http://www.moddb.com/mods/redux

Jito463
03-21-2010, 04:40 PM
I hope they do a better job with the mod, than they did with their web page. I had difficulty just reading the text, with the background pic getting in the way.

Cybrid
03-21-2010, 05:12 PM
There is nothing wrong with innovation. Just remember that innovation is an inherent risk. You attempt to innovate and if it doesn't pan out, then be ready for the constructive feedback and/or unfortunately, vitriol protest. Innovation can go either way - good or bad. Obviously, this forum's pulse is "bad" while sales may or may not dictate "bad". It would be nice to know how it did in console and PC sales, since money talks (not fans, that is too naive).

The thing unique to C&C4 is the constructive feedback was given extensively during the beta period when everything was visible to fans of the C&C series. EA opted to go full risk with their product knowing that at least the conservative RTS fan base and C&C fanbase was alienated by the new design choices as EA chased the "elusive casual gamer" with their slim pseudo-RTS.

Personally the innovation wasn't the best approach for the last title in the Tiberian series. Maybe they could have done that with the C&C Generals franchise? Perhaps that could have been a better experimental platform. Granted, they probably chose to do it this way because they were planning to ax the entire development team afterwards.

Sometimes the players aren't looking for a complete revolution of the RTS franchise, just updated graphics, technical improvements, and significant features/polish.

Jito463
03-21-2010, 05:22 PM
While I was always more fond of the Red Alert line (and did enjoy Generals also), C&C has always been - to me - a story-driven RTS. To take the final chapter in that series, and strip virtually all story elements from it in favor of straight "deathmatch" gameplay (yes, I know it's actually co-op), seems like an attempt to milk a franchise, and nothing more.

Welcome to The Sims: RTS Edition.

Shame, as I own virtually every C&C game going back to RA2 (also have Tiberian Sun and Renegade, but never did get around to playing them). Even though I wasn't thrilled with C&C3, I did hold out high hopes for C&C4.