PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTS losing FPS in steam games

jpinmo
03-21-2010, 05:20 PM
I have a 8800GTS 512 and all of a sudden in steam games I am going from normal 60ish framerates down to under 5. ME2, Asssasins Creed and now its effecting non steam games. Sometimes a reboot fixes it. I have checked and cleaned my card, reinstalled drivers and upgraded them. My temps are fine and voltage is good. Its almost like a memory leak or something the way it runs. Ran Rthribdl for over 2 hours and it stayed at 60FPS. Is anyone else seeing this issue since the last steam upgrade. Been talking on another forum and the only thing all of us have in common is we use steam for some games.

bsnx570
03-21-2010, 06:58 PM
It could be something other than the GPU. Are any other components overheating. What happens if you lower the graphics settings? Do you see a performance increase? Also can we have your whole system specs?

Kaboom
03-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Nvidia braught out a driver a about 2 weeks ago that stops the GPU fan speeding up causing the card to overheat and clock down before it finally crashes In World Of Warcraft many reported performance going up and down. Nvidia removed the driver from their site stating it killed some graphics cards. The Series 8 was most effected. Nvidia told all customers to revert to driver 196.21 or risk loosing their cards.

Maybe the PSU is loosing power they loose power over time and they loose their power output faster if they are closer to max load. it should last you longer than a year it depends on the load its under and the quality of components.

A reboot would cool down your components.

Graphics cards clock down if they are overheating before they crash.
A fan on my graphics card once started to die running very slow was easy to stop with the tipof my finger so I replaced it with a Zaleman GPU cooler.

Is your graphics card fan as loud as it normally is?

What are your older games like I never trouple shoot my PC on the latests games as they have bugs. Some older drivers arebetter than New ones

jpinmo
03-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Its not that driver I hadnt upgraded to it. Until yesterday I was on 188 driver then tried 190, and jumped to the current driver not the fubared one. System is a Xeon 3360 2.8 Quad oc'd to 3 memory 4 Gigs DDR2 1200 power is PC Power and Cooling 750watt, X48 Asus Formula Rampage, vid card is BFG 8800GTS 512. I have plenty of cooling and heat isnt an issue. Power supply has passed all tests. I can normally game all day no heat issues. Just broke system down today for cleaning.

NJuice
03-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Does it only happen in Steam games?
If so, try disabling some stuff that makes Steam what it is, such as the in-game overlay, notifications, etc.