PDA

View Full Version : Is this game a steamworks game?

DarkestSoul X21
03-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Like if I get it retail, will it have all the steam stuff thanks.

Aesir Rising
03-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Yes.
/10yesses

Scared
03-22-2010, 01:22 AM
yes
5yeses

JEWNICRON
03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Yes
/2.5ys

Creeping Death
03-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Yes, but you should know you'll still need to download around 2.5GB of files after the retail install.

Don't ask my why, its moronic...

aleksanderstorm
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
It's because they prepared a patch for launch on release day and after they had gone gold and started producing the retail copies. You expect the disks to magically have a patch that wasn't available when they were printed?

Creeping Death
03-23-2010, 06:45 PM
It's because they prepared a patch for launch on release day and after they had gone gold and started producing the retail copies. You expect the disks to magically have a patch that wasn't available when they were printed?

No, I expect a release day patch to be maybe a couple hundred meg, not 2.5GB.

If that is really the reason, it makes me wonder how broken this game was on release.

corhen
03-23-2010, 11:45 PM
whine more... preferbly by yourself
but yes, this game incorporates steamworks,

Aesir Rising
03-24-2010, 06:18 PM
@Creep that wasn't the only reason. Most of the game sits in a relatively small number of zip format archives - the .SCD files in ..\Gamedata\.

If a file within those archives changed with a patch, I'm pretty sure this means Steam has to DL the entire file - not just the changed file inside the archive. It's a trade off with Steam. I suppose it's easier to verify a good installation when they do it that way. But that reliability comes at the cost of increased net usage.

Perfectly valid complaint though - if you buy a game disk, you should expect to be able to install from that and play- and perhaps DL the delta of whatever changed. I hope this information addresses your follow-on statement, "it makes me wonder how broken this game was on release."