PDA

View Full Version : Home page spamed with Torchlight. Why makes this game great?

KnightMason
03-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm rather tired of seeing it on the home page. So I'm wondering why it's always showing up?
Is it really that popular or do they advertise it because nobody is buying?

Should I buy it?
Whats so great about it?
Features show nothing special that I can see.
In fact the single-player/RPG idea doesn't go well with me at all. Who would spend hours and hours alone?
I'd rather play any number of free MMO's out there.

Just curious.
If it's so great.. let me know why.

Centy
03-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Damn Valve's superliminal marketing seems to be going well if it's making you consider buying a game you will surely hate.

OK firstly it has a demo so give it a go I loved it and these types of games never really appeal to me it was just fun for a few hours getting my character up the levels it would be better with multiplayer but hey its a great game at a great price.

Also a while back Valve posted a message through steam with pics of their characters as a lot of the people working there were loving the game so maybe they just want to share that love. Or maybe the studio that made it paid to have it on the store but since they are indies and the game virtually sells itself I doubt it.

Diloon
03-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Buy it. It rocks.

Angstrom
03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
If you love action RPGs like Diablo 2 then this game is fantastic, especially for the price. But it sounds like multiplayer is really important to you, in which case maybe this isn't the game for you.

Metro
03-22-2010, 09:51 PM
It's one of the most successful indie/small developer titles of the year and reasonably priced. The people who managed to get it at Christmas for $5 got an absolute steal. If you don't like Action RPG/click fest games, though, it probably isn't for you.

If you do it has good graphics (stylized not ZOMG realistic), good music, good atmosphere, and is a fun little time sink. There isn't much story or class development but the devs are talking about a possible sequel since it was so successful. I have about 90+ hours total logged.

Bigtop305
03-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Not really sure there is much to be added that has not already been said, but I will reiterate that the demo is FREE and gives a really good Idea about the game play.

Yes its solid, yes it's very successful in creating its own atmosphere, yes it looks pretty (for what it is) but those things only matter so much. For me the bottom line is this:

1.) It is an unquestionably well thought out and executed game, surprisingly so for the fact that it is an indie, and its price point.

2.) Is is Fun? (for me yes oh Yes, yes yes!)

3.) In the end this game IS in the mold of the Diablo Series, sans M/P for now, so it excels WITHIN very specific genre' defined borders.

So will this change your perception of this type of game, since you seem not to really be into its game style? No way for me to answer that for you, the demo and your own time in the world will however. Note that for me number 2 up there has been the rule for many hours, and some Diablo fans that are buds of mine can attest to, its just good fun! It's tough to pin down exactly what single element does it for you, then it hits you, it is no single element, most of all the parts come together nicely and create a FUN accessible dungeon crawling experience.

Metro
03-25-2010, 04:46 PM
At $5 now you pretty much have no excuse.

KnightMason
03-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah even at $5 I'm still doubting it.
It's not about the price really, it's more about what I want to spend time on.
And I can't imagin doing all that grind work for no reason.
I guess it would make a good casual game.

Now this sale is going on, I think I'm staying away from the shop for awhile. Strange how that means less sales for them. lol

I've seen that advertisment so much, and now this.. just makes me want to hate on it.
But I won't.

Spectlaser
03-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Spammed? :/

It's just one banner.

KnightMason
03-27-2010, 09:36 PM
lol yeah. I've seen it for months it seems like. Now its on a big banner.
In any case, I caved and got it. :\
I feel bad now.
I fell for it.
WHY!

Moonstrider25
03-27-2010, 09:56 PM
its a great game, and the Steamdeal is a steal, so be glad you got it ;) even if its single only, its great fun

RavN
03-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Torchlight is a great game especially for the current price. I like it better than titan quest. With all the free mods its almost as good as diablo 2 for me. I dont mind the lack of multiplayer. I dont really get the apeal of multiplayer in this style of game, it adds nothing besides stupid BS.

jetah
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
the Multiplayer part would work well with HC characters. If you died, it'd be nice for a friend to grab your gear and hold on to it.

Burbots Revenge
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
this game is realy great and more worth than this low price just buy it and have fun.

Metro
03-29-2010, 04:26 PM
lol yeah. I've seen it for months it seems like. Now its on a big banner.
In any case, I caved and got it. :\
I feel bad now.
I fell for it.
WHY!

In time I'm sure you'll find it well worth the money.

MADDOGGE
03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Heck OP, I don't even play RPG's as a rule and this one is just "nice". I can't explain why I like it. I just do. At $5 thats one fast food meal even if you didn't like it. Play the demo!