PDA

View Full Version : Gmod. Worth Getting?

Killered
03-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I will be getting a new computer soon (Which will absolutely slaughter Gmod), and I was wondering if it was a game worth getting. My friend had it, I tinkered with it, and from my experience, this is how it usually goes:
1. Start building totally awesome machine
2. 5 hours later, you are done
3. 10 seconds later, someone destroys it.
4. Ragequit
4. Go to different server only to find it is filled with those purple/black squares and a bunch of those red ERRORS.

As I understand, you can pretty much make any game out of Gmod, which seems cool. But I don't want to buy it just to have to download five hundred textures (Which I heard are a pain to install), and to not have any dedicated servers (I heard there are very little). Also, what are the average number of people per server?

KTMartin90
03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
I love Gmod and I play with it all the time. Yes it can get boring sometimes and it's hard to find people to play with who aren't mingebags, but you can have a great experience!
By the way Errors and Purple/Black squares are from missing textures and other things. Not quite sure how to get rid of them most of the time, but having more source engine games makes the occurrence less likely. If you buy Gmod you are going to have to do some downloading unless you are completely content playing with what you have and you only go on servers with minimum download requirements. I do not know the average number per server, but you can always check the number of people in the server listing.
If you want to avoid mingebags either join a server with a person who knows administration very well, or learn it yourself so you can boot them out and whatnot. A Dedicated server is used for people who want to host long-term ones and it is rarely used. If you want an example try http://true-rp.com/ which I believe owns a dedicated server.

PS Feel free to add me on Steam.

Narcotic Clown
03-23-2010, 06:53 AM
GMod isn't only multoplayer; you can also play singleplayer. If you have the right port configurations, you can also create your own server and administrate it as you see fit.

As for the building/destroying/frustration aspect, there are some servers that use "prop protection" which means that only you and people you choose can do anything with things you've made.

Also, when you get more skilled in doing stuff, it's a helluva lot of fun to unleash your creations on the mingebags as payback. >.>

Killered
03-23-2010, 01:13 PM
@KTMartin90- You say if I download source games I won't get as many errors? What are the names of all the source games? And is there any way I can get them all in a convenient little package on steam?

KTMartin90
03-23-2010, 02:39 PM
@Narcotic Clown
Indeed! I am planning on working on a torpedo launcher today.

@Killered
my best suggestion would be this:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2546/

franjrp92
03-23-2010, 02:41 PM
There are also plenty of fun gamemodes other than standard one. Deathrun is GREAT!

Killered
03-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Bump.

WaRRioRTF
03-25-2010, 02:14 PM
See KTMartin's post except for one thing.
Dedicated servers are hosted to be able to have a server without having the game open, saving resources. And normally is used for 24/7 servers

Btw you had the pink&black checker textures and RED errors because you lacked some games or addons. What i recommend finding is PHX3 SVN and Wire SVN and having Orange box + CSS purchased.
For the rest of addons you can go to garrysmod.org.

KTMartin90
03-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Wiremod and Phoenix Storms 3 are popular packages for Garry's Mod.
You will probably have to download them in order for a lot of maps to work. I do not know much about the use of source stuff, but I have few to go on and sometimes I have issues.

cwsault
03-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Definitely get it. It's like playing with toys as a kid but cheaper, thousands more, and with guns and power tools too.

It is best to have Source games like the CSS and the HL series, and Wiremod and PHX do make it a lot more fun too especially with all the new models that come with PHX. But if you don't want to download the mods you don't have to and you can delete stuff from the Source games that are not the models and textures and sounds if you don't want them installed.

Play singleplayer or host a local non-dedicated listen server game with a friend or two if you don't wanna deal with the server being full of idiots or mods that you don't have.

Also, I think an older version of GMod is in the free mods downloads, so you can try that out to see if you like the concept in general.

And KTMartin90 is right about the Valve pack too -- if you don't already have most or any of the games in it it's a steal.

Killered
03-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Definitely get it. It's like playing with toys as a kid but cheaper, thousands more, and with guns and power tools too.

It is best to have Source games like the CSS and the HL series, and Wiremod and PHX do make it a lot more fun too especially with all the new models that come with PHX. But if you don't want to download the mods you don't have to and you can delete stuff from the Source games that are not the models and textures and sounds if you don't want them installed.

Play singleplayer or host a local non-dedicated listen server game with a friend or two if you don't wanna deal with the server being full of idiots or mods that you don't have.

Also, I think an older version of GMod is in the free mods downloads, so you can try that out to see if you like the concept in general.

And KTMartin90 is right about the Valve pack too -- if you don't already have most or any of the games in it it's a steal.
Hm. I heard that you can save/load creations in single player. Can you load these in to multiplayer mode?

cwsault
03-25-2010, 05:40 PM
If you get the Advanced Duplicator addon (comes included with Wire but is technically a separate mod and can be found individually on garrysmod.org) and the server also has it, then yes.

The normal Duplicator tool allows you to point and fire at anything to save a copy in the tool, but it'll disappear pretty quick, either next map, next server, or next time you start the game -- not sure which.

The advanced dupe tool will let you save the data for the copy of the creation into a text file on your disk. So then you can load it up again years later, or transfer it to another computer, or send it to other players, etc.

Spunkeez
03-31-2010, 01:51 PM
I use Garry's mod for making videos and Machinemas, and in that respect, it's an AWESOME tool to use. It's also pretty damn fun to screw around in. Now multiplayer I'd say is an utter peice of crap because who you're playing with usually has so many damn mods installed, that it's almost like they're completely different game then you - hence the "ERROR"s. That and, depending on the server, sometimes you'lle have to wait a long time so that your PC can download massive amounts of random LUA's, Models, etc.

But I'll just say this... If you like Lego, are not afraid to experiment abit, and you're don't mind a bit of a steep learning curve, then you will love Garry's mod.