PDA

View Full Version : Why is TFU so slow!?

darkrider64
03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I only have an Athlon 64 X2 4800+. I know it's nothing like a 500$+ Phenom II X4 10000+, but it still does the job, and does it very well.

With my GTS250 at its side, I can play any game, at any resolution, with very high details, without any problem. Any game... except The Force Unleashed :o

The game usually works very well, but someties it runs at slow motion. The second level (Nar Shaddaa) runs very well most of the time, but the third level (Raxus Prime) is a snail-paced hell!

The game's physics are quite impressive, but IMHO they shouldn't need so much processing power.
Is there any way to get this game running at a decent speed?

Koraboros
03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
game is the issue.

It`s known to be DISGUSTINGLY UNOPTIMIZED.

azzonie
03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Your CPU and GPU are both considered low end. I suspect that is part of the problem if you want to run everything on high. Turn everything to low or medium and try it.

michael89
03-23-2010, 04:30 PM
The game's physics are quite impressive, but IMHO they shouldn't need so much processing power.

Physics have always required nice maount of processing power.
(especially if there are lots of physics activity going on.)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32430/

Also, you really should learn to read the requirements.
They state very clearly in minimum-requirements, that you need at least AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ cpu. (you have 4800).

Petchyy
03-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Your CPU and GPU are both considered low end.

Ay? Those GTS250's are actually pretty darn good for the price range. Easily enough to max out any Source game with a good amount of AA.

It's the CPU letting you down, Source games are a little harder on the CPU and less so on GPU's, your CPU isn't up to spec unfortunately.

Nekomancer
03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Petchyy, TFU doesn't even use the Source engine. But they are right, it's most likely the CPU and the fact that TFU is poorly optimized on PC.

Petchyy
03-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Petchyy, TFU doesn't even use the Source engine. But they are right, it's most likely the CPU and the fact that TFU is poorly optimized on PC.

Thought we were talking about TF2, my bads.
Well especially so, bad console ports are even more CPU intensive.

As a side note, I keep seeing people in TF2 called Nekomancer...Coincidence?!

darkrider64
03-24-2010, 02:35 AM
Your CPU and GPU are both considered low end. I suspect that is part of the problem if you want to run everything on high. Turn everything to low or medium and try it.

Low end? Well... beybe. I can't buy new high-end parts every month, but I'm glad your parents can!;)

To put it short, my PC meets the minimum requirements of all my games (TFU being the exception), and the recommended requirements of most of them.
The other games that run slowly are Flight Simulator X (when I'm flying over Los Angeles or another large city) and ArmA II (when I'm on a battle with 200+ AI around). But in those cases, the need of CPU power is justified by a lot of AIs thinking on the background, not just a bunch of physics calculations!

michael89
03-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Low end? Well... beybe. I can't buy new high-end parts every month, but I'm glad your parents can!;)

Maybe some us have a job and we can save money, unlike some little leechie rider. ;)

+ still, physics tend to be heavy, if there are lots of physics activity going on. Get over with it.

Lord_Gannondorf
03-24-2010, 03:06 AM

You don't need to buy high-end parts every month - I'm still using my 2-3 year old hardware and it's running the game full.

And seriously - go away with the "glad your parents can" as a smartass remark, all you're doing is making yourself look like a ♥♥♥♥. I'd be willing to bet $100 that YOU are the one still living at home, and he is not.

darkrider64
03-24-2010, 04:40 AM
Alright, I admit it, my PC is an old piece of crap :(
But when I bought it almost three years ago, it costed 600€ with a graphics card much worse than the current one.

If I wanted to buy a mid-high end PC now so I wouldn't have to worry about future performance issues, it would cost me 1000€ minimum. I'm serious.

I've been looking to replace the CPU with a newer one, but now I only find processors with socket AM3 (there's no way I'm buyin an Intel :o ), and my motherboard is AM2. I saw somewhere that AM3s still fit into an AM2 socket, but the FSB is capped, so most of the performance would be wasted. :(