PDA

View Full Version : Which Will Come Faster: BMS or EP3?

TempS
03-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Which do you guys think will be released first? Black Mesa: Source, or Half-Life 2: Episode 3?

liamsharkey
03-27-2010, 02:47 PM
gabe newell ate episode 3 and its estimated it will take over 9000 years before it comes out bms is my gues then

Maledict21
03-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Well, Black Mesa was supposed to be released last year, but was delayed. Episode 3 hasn't even been formally announced, and Valve is releasing Portal 2 this year. I would say that it's almost certain that Black Mesa releases first; if it doesn't, then I will be pretty surprised.

AguyinaRPG
03-27-2010, 03:01 PM
BMS because I bet even if they're not entirely finished, they will release it before Episode 3 as to not to worry about the conversions. That project has taken a lot of out them and another year just for conversions is... Stupid.

Metroidman1
03-27-2010, 03:02 PM
over 9000

I see you have met Scouter and yes its probably going to be ages

Rawketlaunch
03-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Black Mesa, I'm almost sure of it. But, with Portal 2 coming out this year and hopefully BMS late this year or very early next year, I think I can wait. I'm still pretty unhappy about how long it's taking Ep3, though.

WildMax
03-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Black Mesa, I'm almost sure of it. But, with Portal 2 coming out this year and hopefully BMS late this year or very early next year, I think I can wait. I'm still pretty unhappy about how long it's taking Ep3, though.

How is it going to take them until late this year to release Black Mesa?

surfrock22
03-27-2010, 04:10 PM
I am almost inclined to go with Episode 3, considering how long the mod has been in development thus far.

BS_1
03-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Episode 3 to be released first; Black Mesa to be delayed to incorporate new Source features.

slayer20
03-27-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm going to say Black Mesa first.

vandoo99999
03-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, Black Mesa was supposed to be released last year, but was delayed. Episode 3 hasn't even been formally announced, and Valve is releasing Portal 2 this year. I would say that it's almost certain that Black Mesa releases first; if it doesn't, then I will be pretty surprised.

This.

backstepper
03-27-2010, 06:06 PM
I would like to see it the other way around. Episode 3 first even so i don't think it will happen. Maybe we are lucky and will see both but who knows what will happen with Episode 3 we can't tell.

If valve goes crazy it might get released next week or next decade that is something we are still not able to say.:rolleyes:

jcool190
03-27-2010, 08:51 PM
You should know that black mesa will release first, from what is known.

Rawketlaunch
03-27-2010, 08:54 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you think it'll take longer, or perhaps less time?

Maledict21
03-27-2010, 09:22 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you think it'll take longer, or perhaps less time?

I think he means that since it was supposed to be released last year, it should release much sooner than the end of this year. And that makes sense given that they said the mod is nearing completion.

Cotan
03-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Episode 3 is released soon! (I hope :()

Flamov
03-28-2010, 01:55 AM
BMS, in my humble opinion.

DAWeeE1
03-28-2010, 04:36 AM
I hope Black Mesa will come out first.

JCD
03-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Which do you guys think will be released first? Black Mesa: Source, or Half-Life 2: Episode 3?

Until I actually play Black Mesa Source, it does not exist, in my opinion. No room for more disappointments.

&T: Source
03-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Duke Nukem Forever will come first.

Flamov
03-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Until I actually play Black Mesa Source, it does not exist, in my opinion. No room for more disappointments.

No pain, no game.

Rawketlaunch
03-28-2010, 12:30 PM
I think he means that since it was supposed to be released last year, it should release much sooner than the end of this year. And that makes sense given that they said the mod is nearing completion.

Yes, very probably. I was saying that I was hoping it would be released some time before that (and no later). At it's current stage in development, the expectation is that it releases within just a few months.

General Frags
03-28-2010, 12:39 PM
I think BMS could come out any day as its a mod and it is in the middle of beta testing atm, since there is no news on ep3 from Valve we can consider this to be a longer term game in a year or so.

Rawketlaunch
03-28-2010, 12:46 PM
I think BMS could come out any day as its a mod and it is in the middle of beta testing atm, since there is no news on ep3 from Valve we can consider this to be a longer term game in a year or so.

It is a mod, though, so they're working on their own hours. I think if it was its own game pending release on the market it could be released sooner. But since they're not getting paid for this mod, the ETA is really unpredictable.

It shouldn't be too much longer though, I think.

Net-Viper X
03-28-2010, 08:10 PM
I think BMS will come out first providing they are actually still working on it. EP3 will never be out because it was cancelled long ago, they just wont say that because they know all the flaming that will cause, so they keep quite and hope everyone just gives up and moves along.

Rawketlaunch
03-28-2010, 09:17 PM
I think BMS will come out first providing they are actually still working on it. EP3 will never be out because it was cancelled long ago, they just wont say that because they know all the flaming that will cause, so they keep quite and hope everyone just gives up and moves along.

In recent news Gabe spoke about the "next Half-Life" and improving the series' scare factor. Unless "next Half-Life" is a sneaky way of saying they scrapped Ep3 and are working on something else, we can probably assume they're still working on it.

SpectralJulian
03-28-2010, 09:58 PM
gabe newell ate episode 3 and its estimated it will take over 9000 years before it comes out bms is my gues then

You will, therefore, be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the Pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all powerful Gabe Newell. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly digested over a…thousand years.

I'd add the next chapter of Minerva: Metastasis to the competition as well. . . seems like I've been waiting for that for a long time too.

I'm kind of thinking there is no Episode 3, and they did, in fact, change it to HL3.

MyNameDidntFit
03-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I want Black Mesa first so that I can play it when I play through all the Half-Life games in preparation for Ep3.

fuegerstef
03-29-2010, 09:26 AM
I want Black Mesa first so that I can play it when I play through all the Half-Life games in preparation for Ep3.

You can replay BMS about 3000 times before EP3 comes out.

surfrock22
03-29-2010, 09:27 AM
It really will be interesting to see which comes first. I just hope that the BM team doesn't revamp everything, if, in fact, episode 3 comes first..

mimaz98
03-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Black Mesa: Source, I suspect.

Are the two really that different?

Rawketlaunch
03-29-2010, 07:03 PM
What do you mean by that?

aaaaaa50
03-29-2010, 07:18 PM
They're both going to come out at the same time. The BMS team is working with Valve, since Valve can't resist the temptation to go over the original Half-Life again.

Rawketlaunch
03-29-2010, 08:06 PM
They're both going to come out at the same time. The BMS team is working with Valve, since Valve can't resist the temptation to go over the original Half-Life again.

...Nnnnnno, I don't think that's it.

mimaz98
03-29-2010, 08:14 PM
What do you mean by that?

They both never come out. :p

Rawketlaunch
03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
They both never come out. :p

That would be unfortunate, but unlike Ep3, BMS I think will release eventually.

surfrock22
03-29-2010, 10:55 PM
They are both a lie. :)

do_it_4_da_lolz
03-30-2010, 05:56 AM
they have said some news about idk when on this day i cbf checking 25 march 2010 saying ep3 will be more scaryer and abit more fading like ur abilitys are fading

backstepper
03-30-2010, 06:11 AM
They are both a lie. :)
A huge and bad aprils joke by valve. Just to kill every Half Life fan that remains on this planet.:p

Most will die instantly after it is revealed what is really going on. That or they say both are just fake and that is the aprils fool.

Second day of april both get released. Just dreaming again.:rolleyes:

JCD
03-30-2010, 06:55 AM
A huge and bad aprils joke by valve. Just to kill every Half Life fan that remains on this planet.:p

Most will die instantly after it is revealed what is really going on. That or they say both are just fake and that is the aprils fool.

Second day of april both get released. Just dreaming again.:rolleyes:

"You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!"

backstepper
03-30-2010, 06:57 AM
"You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!"

Try me Flamov nearly killed me with his thread and im half emotional dead for a few hours now so it might just kill someone else but not me.

Im empty at the moment. Empty like the L4D bottles in the new office.:p

Inimical_rize
03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
I think i speak for every one when i say..

Who cares, give us something! lol

seseorang
03-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Trick question, the answer is neither, but in fact Portal 2

surfrock22
03-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I think i speak for every one when i say..

Who cares, give us something! lol

Lol, not for me. I would rather have nothing for 10 years than something that sucks when it releases.

brabee
03-31-2010, 05:07 AM
BMS. At least I hope so...

David-B-737
04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Episode 3 to be released first; Black Mesa to be delayed to incorporate new Source features.

+rep
Dunno what but this post made something in my brain move, Thank you.

supernaut
04-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Does it matter?

I guess getting Black Mesa first, to have one marathon leading up to Episode 3's release, would be nice, but I don't really care. I'm in the middle of replaying the series right now anyway.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
That's gunna be me soon. But, then you'll get all built up for new Half-Life. :(

alehm
04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
BSM first. As God intended.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I think it will be somewhat of a close race. If Episode 3 comes before, it's possible that BM will delay to accompany the new features.

gorpie
04-05-2010, 02:30 PM
If I were on the Black Mesa team, the last thing I'd want to do is spend yet more time incorporating the new features...

backstepper
04-05-2010, 02:38 PM
I can only agree. The other thing is i really doubt it will be that long until they are finished. I also said this about Episode 3 so pleyse don't quote me on this.:p

Maybe valve and them wait for a special event or something or its just that they still work on it. I can imagine that they want to do everything as good as they can.

DustArma
04-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Neither, they are both competing to see which one takes the longest.

.n.ty|e$
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Probabaly BMS. BMS would have been released last year, but it was delayed.. Since we don't know anything about Ep3, im guessing the release date is along ways off.

supernaut
04-06-2010, 01:55 AM
...it's possible that BM will delay to accompany the new features.

That's not going to happen. Provided those features are crazy easy to implement and take no additional playtesting. The Source 2007 overhaul made sense, but this certainly wouldn't. They'd be crossing into the 3D Realms philosophy of indefinite dedication to "perfection".

phillipjfry6
04-06-2010, 06:56 AM
I'm pretty sure that BMS has most of the core mechanics and gameplay down, and at this moment they're just polishing it off..
But EP3 will probably come out later because Valve is so busy with Portal 2.

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 07:54 AM
That's not going to happen. Provided those features are crazy easy to implement and take no additional playtesting. The Source 2007 overhaul made sense, but this certainly wouldn't. They'd be crossing into the 3D Realms philosophy of indefinite dedication to "perfection".

Well, you could make that very argument for the 2007 updates. I think "the new update wouldn't make sense" (not quoting your posts) is a bit ridiculous to imply, considering that we have no idea what the new version of Source will bring.

DirectVic
04-06-2010, 08:40 AM
I just hope porting mods over to the Episode Three engine is much easier. There are still many mods in development, and if a new Source engine pops up, with completely new features, and these modders have to jump through burning hoops to port their stuff (especially with the fact that if they continue developing on the previous engine and release it, their mod may be ignored), then they might as well wait!

Gordon He-Man
04-06-2010, 10:19 AM
If EITHER of these are released in the near future, I think you'll find it's me that comes fastest.

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 10:36 AM
I mean, if there were a switch to the Episode 3 engine, would it really be that much of a surprise, considering the mod's extensive dev time?

hello moto
04-06-2010, 10:51 AM
At this rate Duke Nukem Forever will be first... (Im being sarcastic, no way will DNF will ever come xD)

Whatthecell
04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Probs Black Mesa

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 11:52 AM
A race with no finish line. :)

gorpie
04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I mean, if there were a switch to the Episode 3 engine, would it really be that much of a surprise, considering the mod's extensive dev time?

Considering how much of their personal lives they've given up over how many years to work on this project, I have no expectations that they're going to port it to a new engine any time soon.

supernaut
04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Well, you could make that very argument for the 2007 updates. I think "the new update wouldn't make sense" (not quoting your posts) is a bit ridiculous to imply, considering that we have no idea what the new version of Source will bring.

Those were different times and it depends on where they were at the development stage. I don't remember the timeline, but they did suffer a leak at one point, so that might have been another reason.

And the reason that it doesn't make sense at this point is because they were aiming for a 2009 release, so that means they're at the final stretch. It's all playtesting right now, so a Source 2010/2011 overhaul to Black Mesa would make zero sense.

It doesn't matter what it will bring, cos the team is not going to allow any more unnecessary delays, so unless they can incorporate something very easily with no additional playtesting, it's just not going to happen.

None of us, including the BM team, haven't got a clue when Episode 3 will be coming out, so no, they won't be withholding the mod just to see what it's Source improvements will be and if they should incorporate some or all of them.

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm just saying that nothing has been "for sure" with this mod, and rightfullly so. It's a huge project. None of us really know if they are in the "final stretch" or not. That was very apparent when the released date was missed by a mile.

I am not saying they will be holding out to see what happens in the next Source upgrade. But, if the next iteration of HL comes before the release of Black Mesa, then there would be a strong temptation to at least incorporate some of the new features.

gorpie
04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm just saying that nothing has been "for sure" with this mod, and rightfullly so. It's a huge project. None of us really know if they are in the "final stretch" or not. That was very apparent when the released date was missed by a mile.

I am not saying they will be holding out to see what happens in the next Source upgrade. But, if the next iteration of HL comes before the release of Black Mesa, then there would be a strong temptation to at least incorporate some of the new features.

Probably depends on which team member you talk to... I'm sure more than one is burned out and just wants the thing to be finished.

And the release date was for them, not for us. If it were something we were paying for, the release date would have been more for us...

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I think that is BS, quite frankly. You don't release a trailer, put it on Youtube for all to see, throw out a release date and say that it wasn't for fans. Of course it was. I'm sure they used it for a motivational tool in order to bring the mod to a final close, but at the same time, there were very, very obvious steps taken to build hype (made very publicly). If it were just for them, also, they wouldn't have issued a statement, essentially admitting their mistake of jumping the gun.

They are proud of their hard work. And they should be. They wanted everyone to see, so they made an awesome trailer and posted it for the masses.

supernaut
04-06-2010, 01:32 PM

You're boring me. :p

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Lol, I have no idea what that means.

Mihai_sm
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
As much as I'd like for HL2: Ep3 to come out first ... I'd go for BMS
At least there is some real proof that BMS is beeing worked on, something that can't be said the same for HL2: Ep3 unfortunately... :(

NitrousX
04-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm guessing Black Mesa.

tschumann
04-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Probably Black Mesa. I wish it was Episode Three though.

slipperywhenwet
04-07-2010, 06:34 PM
BMS actually had a release date for last year and they didnt change it until a couple weeks before it, and ep3 never had a release and they are busy with portal 2 and are probablty jsut doing gameplay stuff and maybe anuimations and maps for ep3. no story or voice acting and most maps until after portal 2.

NitrousX
04-08-2010, 08:36 AM
BMS actually had a release date for last year and they didnt change it until a couple weeks before it, and ep3 never had a release and they are busy with portal 2 and are probablty jsut doing gameplay stuff and maybe anuimations and maps for ep3. no story or voice acting and most maps until after portal 2.

Ding ding ding! You my man, are correct. ;)

TOBI239
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
L4D16

crazyd89
04-08-2010, 12:33 PM

L4D3 :)

Just kidding, I think BMS, and maybe next year EP3, maybe....