PDA

View Full Version : FC1 From A FC2 Fan's Perspective...early impressions

FreemanForPrez
03-28-2010, 06:40 AM
I never played Far Cry 1 before I got Far Cry 2 on the day it was released through Steam.
Actually, I had never even heard of Far Cry until I heard about Far Cry 2, strange as that may sound. I thought FC 2 looked like an excellent game and was anxiously waiting for it to be released, but had no interest in FC 1, since the graphics looked kind of dated to me.

So as a consequence, I had no preconceived notions of what Far Cry was all about, and had none of that resentment that I've read so much of when FC2 turned out to be... not what alot of people were expecting. I ended up really loving Far Cry 2 and have played it many many times since its release and have been in quite a few threads here defending it.

So a couple of weeks ago I was looking for some new games to play and decided I might as well check out Far Cry 1. I haven't spent too much time playing it, but enough time to realize I really like it. I wouldn't say that FC1 is "better" than FC2, or vice versa, since I have no real opinion on the matter yet, but even so, "better" in a video game means nothing to me. What matters is if a game is good and interesting enough to make me want to play it. "Better" is too subjective. ;)

A few early things I've noticed though:
For one, FC 1 seems to be a lot more difficult, for another, the AI seems to be pretty dumb. Two years of reading in forums about how Far Cry 2 AI sucks made me expect that FC 1 AI must have been way ahead of its time and somewhat better than FC2's AI, but the AI in FC 1 is extremely predictable. In all the situations I've been in so far, I've found I can just stay in one location and take out all the bad guys as they each follow the same path towards me.
So there's something I think I can attach the word "better" to: FC2 AI, IMO, is considerably better. Not perfect, as no AI is, but far more challenging at least and far less predictable.

Then again, I'm just playing FC 1 on Normal difficulty right now. I've noticed that in Far Cry 2, the AI gets better - smarter - as the difficulty level is raised, so for all I know it's the same thing in FC1.

One thing I'm disappointed in is I don't have a map of the region. I don't think I've ever played a game like this with no map available. (Well, except for the Half Life games...) Unless that comes later which is entirely possible. I can't seem to find out either. If I Google Far Cry and Map, obviously the only links I get back are for the map editor and MP maps. And there's no way to tell Google I don't mean "map" as in multiplayer game terminology, but "map" as in, like, that thing you look at when you're lost while driving through a strange town. Or wandering through a strange jungle in a game, as it were. ;)
I'm also kinda disappointed that I don't have a silenced weapon, but again, maybe that comes later...

It's interesting to see how far the Crytek engine improved between FC 1 and Crysis. FC 1 looks alright, but nothing like Crysis, of course. Not bad, but too bright green everywhere, and way too mipmapped. Then again, we didn't have these powerful GPUs back then, so I can forgive them. ;)
Obviously, Far Cry 2 far exceeds the graphics quality of Far Cry 1.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining about FC1. I got off to a slow start because I was playing other games I wanted to finish first, so I've not made it very far at all yet, but I have to say I like it alot and am enjoying it.
This isn't a Far Cry 1 bashing post, just some early observations.

Also, a few simple questions, but no spoilers please:
Do I get a map eventually?
Do I get a silenced pistol or MP5 or something quiet eventually?
Other cool weapons in the game, like a flamethrower or some remotely detonated explosives?
Is there any real possibility for stealth? So far I havn't been able to sneak past anyone. If the FC2 AI is clairvoyant, then the FC1 AI is positively omniscient. ;)

Imarriedglados
03-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Well im going to be extremely biased, because Far Cry is my favourite FPS.

I dont consider Far Cry 2 to be a sequel to Far Cry, it isnt related in any sense. It looks beautiful, but thats the only good thing about it. Terrible voice acting (Yeah, so was Far Cry's, but in a camp, 80's movie kind of way) the environments were just boring (dark, murky green - dark murky brown) and the story was completely atrocious (again, so was Far Cry's, but cheesily so).

When i first played the demo of Far Cry i was gob smacked at how beautiful the game was, i had never played a game with physics, everything about it was an experience, and the entire game was like that for me. I suspect youre a younger gamer, so you're lucky you've been brought up where its normal to have physics, amazing graphics etc...in my opinion, Far Cry is better and there isnt a contest...but im biased.

Anyway, no, you dont get a map.
You do get a silenced MP5
You get the best rocket launcher in a game to date
Theres stealth if you want there to be stealth

MADDOGGE
03-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I will second Imarriedglados on the fact the two games have nothing in common. The title was a pr thing to try to sucker FC1 fans into buying FC2. I own both and enjoy each for what they are, though I feel FC1 is a better all around game imo.

Well if you are enjoying FC1 and are running a 64 bit OS you may also enjoy the 64 bit patch. It makes it look even nicer. Gives more range on the binoc's and other little goodies. It was made by AMD but also works on intel chips too.

It's actually 2 patches one for textures and another for the exe. It also works with the Steam version.

MomentDEFINED
03-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Crysis is more of the spiritual successor to the original Far Cry. FC2 seems to be more of a branch in the direction of the survival aspect the first game instilled.

However, I did not find Far Cry 2 to have boring environments. Depending on where you are on the map you can go from a lush jungle type area to straight desert plains with a beating sun. The game looks great no matter where you are.

MADDOGGE
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Crysis is more of the spiritual successor to the original Far Cry. FC2 seems to be more of a branch in the direction of the survival aspect the first game instilled.

However, I did not find Far Cry 2 to have boring environments. Depending on where you are on the map you can go from a lush jungle type area to straight desert plains with a beating sun. The game looks great no matter where you are.No FC2 is quite pretty. Except for a terrible lack of wild life,:(:( I thought they really captured Africa's look very well. Not a lot of color in the dry season in Africa.

FreemanForPrez
03-28-2010, 09:47 PM
...I suspect youre a younger gamer, so you're lucky you've been brought up where its normal to have physics, amazing graphics etc...in my opinion, Far Cry is better and there isnt a contest...but im biased.

Me a younger gamer? No, not at all. I might be younger than you, but only if you're older than 45. ;)
I started gaming with Pong and other games at the arcade with my dad - Space Invaders, Asteroids, Galaga.... and later got an Atari "console" and a Coleco Tank Combat console and some other stuff and moved up from there to Nintendo, 3D Chess on my wife's sister's Commodore and so on until PC gaming with Diablo, Quake, Half Life, and all that. Typical progression. ;)
Which is why I wrote it was surprising that I had never head of Far Cry. Well, I've never been hardcore about it really, and never have had enough time for gaming, particularly the first half of the last decade was extremely busy for me, so I missed out on alot between 2001 and 2006.
But it's not like I was used to physics and great graphics, it's more like I always wanted that stuff, and came to prefer it when possible, so I generally don't buy older games nowadays. But I made an exception for Far Cry a couple weeks ago when my curiosity finally got he better of me.

As for the graphics in FC2, looking back at it all now, I suppose it was ahead of its time, at the time, just liek Crysis later was. I was playing Morrowind back then, which looked good, but not as good as FC.
I like everything about it so far, and I don't mind the campy dialog at all. It adds to the personality of it.

As for the comparisons to FC2, yeah, I know what happened. I agree it was a shameless deception on Ubisoft's part to link it to FC1. They could have sold that game just fine if they had called it something else, and they should have realized the.... fallout (another similar incident ;))... wouldn't necessarily be too good.
Even so, I do love Far Cry 2, I don't find it boring at all. Story or no story, I can play it for hours just wandering around and battling guards at posts and in the villages, just for some entertainment, and I love playing with the map editor.

Thanks for the info on the map and the weapons!

Yeah, I've installed the 64 bit stuff for FC - the patch and the exclusive content. I don't really think I noticed a difference, since I hadn't really played it much prior to installing that stuff, but it does look pretty good.

Imarriedglados
03-29-2010, 12:50 AM
No FC2 is quite pretty. Except for a terrible lack of wild life,:(:( I thought they really captured Africa's look very well. Not a lot of color in the dry season in Africa.

I also found it very needless for you to be able to run over the wildlife. In a game as realistic and life-like looking, it just seemed wrong to me.

Me a younger gamer? No, not at all. I might be younger than you, but only if you're older than 45.

Oh im shocked lol well you got me beat, i started my gaming with the whole sonic craze. Hope you enjoy the rest of the game

MADDOGGE
03-29-2010, 04:16 AM
I also found it very needless for you to be able to run over the wildlife. In a game as realistic and life-like looking, it just seemed wrong to me. :D My parked jeep once killed a Zebra who nuzzled it!:eek:

IGingerMadManI
03-29-2010, 05:10 AM
Far Cry is greater than Far Cry 2.

I would list the reasons why, I may one day when I have a few hours spare.

Short version.

Cheesy 80's story and voice acting is superb.
Graphics were something else for the time.
Stealth worked fantastically and had a great feeling sneaking through the forest. In Far Cry 2 you just have people spawn near you and find you no matter what.
Lush enviorements in Far Cry, In Far Cry 2 it's brown. Brown. A slightly darker brown.

Far Cry 2 is just a pretty game with no substance. Far cry had substance and was extremely pretty.

The only way you can think Far Cry 2 is better if you are obsessed with pretty graphics.

FreemanForPrez
03-29-2010, 06:30 AM

Stealth worked fantastically and had a great feeling sneaking through the forest. In Far Cry 2 you just have people spawn near you and find you no matter what.
Lush enviorements in Far Cry, In Far Cry 2 it's brown. Brown. A slightly darker brown.

Far Cry 2 is just a pretty game with no substance. Far cry had substance and was extremely pretty.

The only way you can think Far Cry 2 is better if you are obsessed with pretty graphics.

Well, I disagree about the stealth part. So far I've not been able to get even close to a single NPC in FC1 without being seen. On the other hand, I use stealth extensively in Far Cry 2. I made a long thread here a while back with links to You Tube videos in some of the posts, showing stealth play in Far Cry 2:
LINKY. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009922)

But I'm not here to argue about that. This thread wasn't intended as an invitation to bash Far Cry 2. I wrote it up just to give my perspective on FC1, as someone who played FC 2 first, and I'm not going to engage in an argument over which is "better". As I wrote in my first post, "better" in a video game means nothing to me. What matters is if a game is good and interesting enough to make me want to play it. "Better" is too subjective."

And both Far Cry and Far Cry 2 are good and interesting enough to make me want to play.
In the end that's all that matters, unless you have some need to argue over whose opinion is more valid. ;)

But it is kind of insulting and at least very condescending to say "The only way you can think Far Cry 2 is better if you are obsessed with pretty graphics."
In your opinion, perhaps Far Cry 2 has no substance, but that doesn't give you the right to say that those who disagree must just be mindlessly enjoying the graphics and aren't capable of appreciating it any beyond that, like a bunch of half-wits enchanted by shiny objects. ;)

By all means, bring it on, I'm not averse to arguing senselessly on the internet. ;)
But in the end, it's just your opinion, and my opinion, and anyone else's opinion, and in the big scheme of things it's not worth it.
But if you do that, please start a new thread for it, since I don't want this one to become a FC1 vs FC2 thread.
I started this thread just to give my opinion on FC1, with a few minor and obvious comparisons to FC2, none of which I think can be denied.

deadlybydesign
03-29-2010, 07:07 AM
I played both and prefer FC2. What now?

FarCry was at its best when you were allowed to stalk around in the jungle. (also the best parts of Crysis, IMO) FarCry 2 had more of this, and without any of the Trigens or campy story. FC2 has its issues, but I prefer its open flavor to the original's. I do have to give the original credit for being a great game in 2004. It wasn't perfect, but it helped to open up the FPS genre a bit.

To be completely honest, I enjoyed FarCry 2 more than Crysis, too. The narrative isn't comparable, but I tend to put more hours into sandbox-style single-player campaigns.

MADDOGGE
03-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Well I like the Trigens. Then again I like sci-fi. This is one of those games that you think is a normal FPS and it throws the unexpected at you. It was the same way in Crysis. You heard noises and saw the deaths but it wasn't until later you saw what was actually killing people. FC1 would have been boring imo if all we had to kill was people. Thats what makes it different from run of the mill shooters. That and the awesome graphics for it's time.

FreemanForPrez
03-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Actually, speaking of Crysis and the aliens, that's something about Crysis that irritated me at first. I was having a blast fighting the Koreans, and the Core part was bad@55, but after making it out of that mountain into the frozen wastelands and having to protect Prophet against the Impossible Alien Onslaught, I started to get kinda PO'd about it. I just thought the alien thing was way overdone and it took a major turn for the considerably more difficult.
That was my first play-through though. I got through it all eventually, but it was more aggravating than fun.
However, I've played Crysis several times since then and enjoyed it immensely, aliens included. :)
Same thing with Warhead, although I thought I liked Warhead more in many ways, but wish the SP campaign had been longer.

I do know there's some kind of alien thing going on in FC, but I haven't encountered it yet, and have tried to avoid reading too much about it...

Yeah, thinking about it now, it does seem like Crysis is more of a sequel to FC than FC2 is. And as I've admitted, I think it was wrong for Ubisoft to use the FC name for FC 2. I can understand FC 1 fans having been upset about that, for sure...
If Half Life 3 (or Episode 3 *shrug*) were to end up being about some guy named Bob fighting ninjas in Tokyo, I think that would upset me too. ;)

MomentDEFINED
03-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I think the problem is that after they made Crysis, they saw how similar the game really was to FC1. In order to really separate the two franchises, they'd have to take Far Cry is a very different direction. I'm personally very happy with it, and I'm waiting for Far Cry 3 as much as I am Crysis 2. Regardless of how they games may play, they have all been worth the asking price and proven to be a solid gameplay experience.

FreemanForPrez
03-30-2010, 05:34 AM
Oh wow, it looks like IGingerMadManI went and got himself banned somehow. And I was really looking forward to him setting me straight on Far Cry 2. :D

Anyway, I finally see now why some of you big time fans of Far Cry are fans of Far Cry.
Far Cry 1 really rocks!
Now that I've made some progress and gotten used to it some more, I'm really getting into it. Every new place I get to makes me eager to see what the next place is all about.
Fantastic game and I can't believe I didn't check it out sooner!

I think the problem is that after they made Crysis, they saw how similar the game really was to FC1. In order to really separate the two franchises, they'd have to take Far Cry is a very different direction. I'm personally very happy with it, and I'm waiting for Far Cry 3 as much as I am Crysis 2. Regardless of how they games may play, they have all been worth the asking price and proven to be a solid gameplay experience.

I haven't read up much on the development of Far Cry 3. I joined the Ubisoft forum a while back and posted my ideas of what FC3 should be in a thread for that... but my entire post got deleted within about half an hour after posting. I have to admit, it wasn't exactly very politically correct. I guess it was too much for them. ;)
I think I read something about maybe FC 3 will be in Australia, maybe stay in Africa. Who knows.
I'm good with the whole mercenary idea though and I couldn't care less if they stray far from even FC2, but I'm counting on excellent graphics, physics, and splodey things. ;)
More urban warfare would be cool too, and maybe some caves and more wildlife presence. I would have loved to have seen crocodiles and lions and poisonous snakes in Far Cry 2, especially if they could attack you...
Going into the water or the deep jungle should be filled with potential hazards in any game, especially if it's in Africa.

I also do think they need to seriously consider a SDK and/or some kind of mod editor in addition to the map editor, and allow FC3 to be moddable.
And of course it would be great if they actually put a little bit of thought into MP this next time around. I don't know about FC1 since I haven't tried MP yet, but FC2's MP is a crying shame. And it could have been soooo cool with the excellent Map Editor that comes with it.

EDIT:
FC3 also needs to be sandbox, definitely FPS, and no trace of consolitis. ;)

bobsbarricades
04-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I <3 your threads =)

I also miss gaming -.- This thread has hit me with some serious FC1 nostalgia. I think I enjoy Far Cry 1 even more than Half-Life 0.o

FreemanForPrez
04-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Ah well thanks bb, I try to make them interesting. :D

What do you mean you really miss gaming? You still haven't replaced your video card?

Well I'm still having a blast with Far Cry 1, although I think I might have screwed myself by playing it on the "Challenging" difficulty setting for my first time through. I mean, this game is HARD at times, and I'm not exactly unfamiliar with FPS games. I can go through Crysis on Delta settings, Far Cry 2 on Infamous, STALKER on Master and so on.
But I have to keep repeating alot of the checkpoints on Far Cry and there have been many places where I got so aggravated I had to just quit for a while. ;)

Maybe it's just because this is my first play-through, maybe it's easier the second time around, but I'd have to say that Far Cry 1 is one of the most difficult games I've ever played - at least on Challenging. Those Trigens are a serious b1tch, and the mercs are pretty brutal too - I'd hate to see what Realistic is like. ;)

bobsbarricades
04-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Aye, she still sits uncomfortably toasty beneath my fingers =,(

I remember when I played through the game for the first time doing the same thing. I always put games on high difficulty because the sense of accomplishment means more to me =) But with Far Cry I left that puppy at the setting underneath the hardest and found it more.... liveable =) The only game to make me go through MORE save-game attrition was the recent MW2, and then it was only because it was so linear. At least with FC1 I had the chance to rethink my strategy upon failing. I don't know if it's still this way, but there was no way to save inbetween checkpoints so it got REALLY aggravating at times =P But it's that difficulty that makes it so memorable to me.

Like in HL2 when you are in that prison and you have to use the sentry guns to help hold off the guards that keep coming. That was by far the single most difficult gaming experience I've ever had in my life and I will never forget how AWESOME I felt when me and my brother finished. We were shouting like rabid soccer fans. It was amazing.

Wait till you get towards the end of FC1...it gets REEEEEEALLY ridiculous =)

Ricochet_Saw
04-04-2010, 11:02 AM
same franchise?: yes but only by name
sequel?: ubisoft stated this when they announced it XD

"
EDIT:
FC3 also needs to be sandbox, definitely FPS, and no trace of consolitis. "
LOL please god no consolitis XD

foadiron
04-15-2010, 03:25 PM

I love Far Cry and would place it only behind Serious Sam and Painiller in terms of pure action FPS.

However, there *has* been a better rocket launcher in two other games: Half-Life's guidable one, and Soldier of Fortune's Quad one.

So there :P

bobsbarricades
04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
really? serious sam? hrmmmm AND painkiller?

grazman
04-17-2010, 11:31 PM

Short version.

Cheesy 80's story and voice acting is superb.
Graphics were something else for the time.

I disagree on the stealth, think FC2 is much better for that than FC1. Graphics are way better in FC2. Only thing i dont like is the quick respawning of guard posts and the missions can get a bit samey after a while but really enjoying FC2 much more than FC1 at the mo.

jefequeso
04-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Well im going to be extremely biased, because Far Cry is my favourite FPS.

I dont consider Far Cry 2 to be a sequel to Far Cry, it isnt related in any sense. It looks beautiful, but thats the only good thing about it. Terrible voice acting (Yeah, so was Far Cry's, but in a camp, 80's movie kind of way) the environments were just boring (dark, murky green - dark murky brown) and the story was completely atrocious (again, so was Far Cry's, but cheesily so).

When i first played the demo of Far Cry i was gob smacked at how beautiful the game was, i had never played a game with physics, everything about it was an experience, and the entire game was like that for me. I suspect youre a younger gamer, so you're lucky you've been brought up where its normal to have physics, amazing graphics etc...in my opinion, Far Cry is better and there isnt a contest...but im biased.

Quite honestly, I played FC1 before FC2, and found FC2 to be superior in nearly every way. Combat was way more visceral, you had a lot more options for tackling an objective, and best of all it didn't forget its strengths 3/4ths of the way through and become a linear and infuriating sequence of shootouts. I will admit, though, that FC2 has no buisness calling itself "Far Cry," and that I think stealth worked a teeny bit better in FC1. And FC1 still has some really really good parts, when it actually knows what it does well (some of the parts where you're given free reign in the huge jungle environment are still incredible, and I wish that another game would develop on some of what FC1 accomplished).

De A Splode
05-16-2010, 07:33 AM
I thought Far Cry was alot better than Far Cry 2.

I didn't like the fact that the second has absolutely nothing to do with the first.

I loved the Singleplayer when I played it on Xbox and I played Multiplayer to death making maps as well as playing the Predator game mode.

FC2, no Predator game mode, some features were taken out of the expansion of FC1 (ziplines for one) and the weapon load outs and upgrading to unlock new weapons was too "COD" for me.

If FC2 SP was COOP I'd probably enjoy it more, although even if I do try to be stealthy in it, I always seem to be found.

My weapons were basically all silenced, I'd be shooting from a long way away in tall grass and wearing the camo suit so to me there isn't any real "stealth".

I felt more hidden in Jacks shirt tbh.