PDA

View Full Version : The 'start RAILWORKS' button does nothing..

Marklovestrains
03-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi all ,

I have used Railworks on and off, with no problems until recently.

I find that when I enter my STEAM icon on my desktop, then go to the My games tab I click on the Railworks game 100%-ready and launch it, the Railworks window appears and on the bottom right we have the 'start RAILWORKS' tab. When I now click on it nothing happens, so I cannot access my game.
I have recently upgraded my system with 3 monitors as I am using Flight Simulator X aswell.
My system is Windows Vista 64bit.
I am using matrox Triplehead2go digital edition to run 3 screens.
I had tried to fathom the problem out and see if Railworks was in good working order for 3 screens.
I switched back to one screen and still no luck. So I connected 3monitors back up.
I have to rule this out - even though I checked the monitor set up in Railworks itself.
Can anyone tell me what has happened?
Cheers,

Best regards,

Mark.

arizonachris
03-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi, Mark. First thing to do is verify the game files. Right click on the game in your Steam games list, choose properties, Local Files tab, verify. Next, when RailWorks starts, go to the Tools tab and Clear Blueprint Cashe.

If none of that works, which recently happened to me, make a backup of your Steam Games and reinstall Steam. You can copy your Steam Apps folder so you don't have to download any of your games again.

Beyond that, try and think of what you may have installed or updated, programs or drivers, that could have caused RW to stop running. And, if you have System restore enabled, try going back to a point before RW stopped working.

Marklovestrains
03-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi,
Thanks for advice. I had tried your recommendations and still have a useless Start RAILWORKS button.
My Railworks, for some reason doesn't allow me to back up. So that is a waste of time.
The last thing I want to do is totally remove my STEAM and Railworks.
Is there anything else that can be done rather than me banging my head against the wall? LOL. Any suggestions will be of great advantage.
Thanks!

Mark.

arizonachris
03-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Mark, even if the game in your Steam Games list won't let you back it up (right clicking on the game's name should give you that option) as I said, just copy your entire "Steam Apps" folder to another place on your hard drive. That contains all your installed Steam games. Then, uninstall and reinstall Steam, copy the folder you saved back into the Steam Apps and you saved having to download all that stuff again.

Marklovestrains
03-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Hiya,
I have removed my Steam apps folder onto my desktop for the time being.
Do you think that I should now remove my entire Steam and Railworks from my system?
I think that Steam apps should be safe now where it is so it can be placed back into the folder later?
Thanks.

zm4r
03-29-2010, 12:51 PM
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=17936&start=0

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9609-OBMP-2526

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/faq/

I hope it helps!

Your firewall isn't blocking railworksproc.exe2?

Vistax64

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (G92GT/D8P) Driver 197.13 WHQL

Giga-Byte GA-G33M-S2L

8gb PC2-6400 DDR2-SDRAM UDIMM

http://www.hwinfo.com/

1 Monitor Name: SAMSUNG SyncMaster 226CW (Digital)

arizonachris
03-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Mark, what version of Windows are you running? You may have to run both Steam and Railworks as administrator. Did you always start Railworks from the Steam Games list, and not a desktop icon?

As long as the contents of the Steam Apps folder is safe, you can uninstall Steam then reinstall it. He he he, my Steam Apps folder was 120Gb with all my games and "stuff" wouldn't save to the Desktop.

Marklovestrains
03-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Arizonachris,

I tried to send a reply to you, but I sent it in the wrong area. I clicked on your 'Post reply' instead of 'Post quick reply' below. I don't know if you have received it or not. Do let me know, as it was meant to be highlighted right here. lol!

Marklovestrains
03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi zm4r,

I will try to look into my firewall, it could be that, but it hasn't been known before.
Thanks for the website information. See what can help. My monitors are the 23/24ins Samsung SyncMaster2333 units. Operating by matrox Triplehead2go Digital Edition.
My specs are:

Windows Vista Home Premium
Manufactured by Advent
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.33 Ghz
Memory (RAM): 8:00 GB 64bit operating system

Best regards,

Mark.

arizonachris
03-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Mark, I didn't get your reply. :(

This is the same puzzling situation I was in a few months ago, RW was working fine, then it just stopped responding. At least, I could get to the loading screen for a scenario but then I got the "RailworcksProc2.exe has stopped working" error. The way to resolve it was do do as I outlined. I saved the Steam folder and started over. Actually had to do a reinstall of Win 7. At least I have a second hard drive, backed all my stuff up and bit the bullet. It was time anyways to clear out all the acumulated junk.

zm4r
03-30-2010, 02:32 AM
My story isn't exactly the same but at the end, I did the same thing.

But first I would recommend reinstalling RW and start testing with basic content only.(Steam DLC).

Just to eliminate any doubts!

Grtz
Erik

Marklovestrains
04-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi,

Sorry you didn't get my reply.
The windows I am running is Windows Vista 64bit. I usually enter Railworks via my Steam games list.
I have given out my specs as above.

What does concern me though is losing a route I was working on.
I hope to save this on a disk before I take the option of deleting my entire Railworks. If not, it looks like the only option and starting from scratch. The last thing I want to do.
Any how, I have removed my steam apps folder on to my desktop.
Is this where the actual add ons and sounds + my route is kept?
Can it be re-installed again as it was when I re-install Railworks? I would start testing with basic content first. It would be great if this is possible.
Many Thanks.

lonewolfdon
04-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi Mark.
For me, I found the easiest way to "backup" a route I'm working on is to make a "Package" of it via the RailWorks Packager.

From the initial RailWorks launch window, click on the Packager tab. A list of route, assets and such will be loaded in that you should be able to expand. Select your route from the list, along with perhaps your Developer folder under the Assets list (if you made a developer folder for your route, which I found out the hard way that one should make Developer folders/blueprint before making their own route), and any other Assets you make have associated with your route.

Add everything associated with your route using the ">>>" button and it should appear over in the right-pane. Check everything you want to package, then click the "Package" button. You will be asked to name the package and where to save it on your computer. After it makes a package, this can now work like a "backup", and you should be able to install this package via the RailWorks "Package Manager" tab and using the "Install" button there.

This would also be the same way you would do if you want to make a package of your route if you want to zip it (along with any other required files), put it on the internet if you wanted to share your route with other RailWorks owners.

Marklovestrains
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I'll see what I can do. Thanks lonewolfdon.

arizonachris
04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Mark, as far as I understand, all the "stuff" you have in Railworks, including your custom routes, should be in the Railworks folder which is in the Steam Apps folder, as long as you saved those custom routes like Don outlined. So, if you have saved that to the Desktop, you should be fine. (he's gonna kill me if I'm wrong! :o)

Marklovestrains
04-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi, I managed to save the route by checking everything associated with it. It has saved to the desktop and shows as the Adobe reader icon. I double clicked on it and it could not be opened as it claims that the file was damaged or shows as a email attachment instead. It also claims that it isn't decoded.
So what ever is happening, I haven't a clue. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Thanks guys.

lonewolfdon
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
What is the file extension of your "Package". Does it have a "rwp" extension?

If so, then it should be readable and be able to be installed by the RailWorks "Package Manager" and the "Install" option on that tab.

For some reason your Adobe program may seeing files with a "rwp" extension as something associated with it.

There are sometimes completely different programs for completely different purposes that may sometimes use a same/similar extension type that it reads (with the thousands, or even millions, of programs out there, there's bound to be different programs that may associate a certain file extension type to it, even if said file had nothing to do with that program, but only just had the same extension that another program used).

In this case I wouldn't worry much about that, just don't try to open a RailWorks "rwp" package with your Adobe program, and don't try to open an Adobe "rwp" related file with RailWorks.

Are you able to install a RailWorks "rwp" package file with your RailWorks program? If so, then that's what counts.

Marklovestrains
04-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi lonewolfdon,

I am unable to understand what you mean. I was trying to get my head around it. I don't think it is possible to open a rwp package file with my Railworks program.
As far as I know the saved data has come out as an Adobe reader icon.
I can't figure it out why though.

FootplateManWSR
04-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Don,
I think you should take this guy somewhere that allows you to use pictures.
Or better still, another video masterclass. ;)

Andy

Marklovestrains
04-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Possibly an upload to 'you tube?' lol

Marklovestrains
04-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Anyway, I am on the verge of giving up this hobby. There is too much involved. Sometimes I wish that this video game was never invented.

Oh well that's life. Thanks anyway guys.

ON my way to completely remove Railworks from my system and disregard it I suppose.

arizonachris
04-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Mark, the way that Windows is associating a .rwp file with Adobe tells me that you have a problem within Windows. Did you ever run CCleaner like I suggested? And do you run an anti virus and anti spy ware program? You can do a "repair" of Windows without losing any of your data. I have to go to work now but I'll be back later to see how it's going.

Marklovestrains
04-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Hiya arizonachris,

I haven't run CCleaner, but I do run an anti virus antispyware program.
I use Norton Antivirus.
However, I will need to look into that when I can.
I haven't got round to removing Railworks yet, but I will try and see what repairing windows will do.
I'll get back to you.
Cheers for now.
Best regards,

Mark.

Marklovestrains
04-03-2010, 08:32 AM
I have downloaded CCleaner and cleared my system, I tried the Start button again and still nothing.
I have now looked into my folders and have replaced my Steam Apps folder by copying it onto the desktop. It seems to me that everything is in there.
Last time I checked it only had a couple of bits inside. So since replacing the folder, it has much more copied.
So hopefully that's it.
I am not going to give it up like that. I am determined to get it sorted out.
Better than nothing.

Cheers.

FootplateManWSR
04-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I didn't really get involved with this thread before because I figured that Don, Chris and everyone would have you sorted by now.
I hate to hear of anyone giving up on RW so if you have some kind of realtime chat capability like Windows Live Messenger, I would be willing to walk you through the base steps to diagnose the problem.

Andy

Marklovestrains
04-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks for your welcoming advice and help FootplateManWSR.
Firstly, I was checking to see if I could seek support personell from Steam.
Apparently, even that is useless. Forgetting my password and when given an email, that don't even get you anywhere.
However, I do have WLM and have never used it. I am not available right now, but I will take it into consideration.

Many Thanks.

Mark.

arizonachris
04-04-2010, 01:33 AM
Mark, this may fix the problem with the .rpw file. Right click on the file and choose "Open With" then see if Railworks is listed in the programs list. If so highlight that and then click Apply.

(would have posted that before but my "sometimers" kicks in once in a while :eek:)

Marklovestrains
04-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi,
I have now managed to totally delete my Railworks from my system.
Including anything associated with it. Steam is the main thing.

I have tried to re-install the Railworks using my Railworks DVD.
But I don't know what has happened, as now I have the Steam icon on my desktop and an error explaining that: "Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to load library Steam.dll" LOL I just can't win!
So I have seeked support from railsimulator.com, unless anyone knows any different.
Cheers.
Mark

zm4r
04-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I hope Railworks simulator.com will help you, but if they do to you as they did to us, you must not expect any help only a link to Railworks Wiki or steam support.
It's not a bad idea to go to steam support and read everything that's in there. 98 times out of 100 it will solve your problems. For the other 2 times there are people here that are willing to try to help you, but if you for some reason, are not reading the support sites and we notice that, you are asking for to much help.
Sorry if it sounds a little hard doing all this, but I think that's the case for all of us.
At the end you will have a much better working system, and you will have more self confidence.
If in the future you have anymore questions we will always try to answer but please take in consideration that we can't see screenshots etc. which makes it very difficult. Also some of us are working with XP and others with Vista and win7, it doesn't make it any easier.

Unable to load library Steam.dll

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2198-AGHC-7226

I think I did allready mention that you have a router or firewall problem. I can't help you with that because it's different for everyone.

Grtz
Erik

Marklovestrains
04-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks zm4r. I am pleased that you have given me a direct link to the support for my troubles.
I'm going to look into it.
Cheers, very grateful.

Mark

arizonachris
04-04-2010, 05:06 PM
So, have you uninstalled Steam, then downloaded it again, and when trying to install you get the .dll error? And Railworks is on a CD, not the Steam version? I'm confused here.

Marklovestrains
04-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Well to put it straight the Railworks DVD actually installs steam onto your hard drive first.
Then it downloads Railworks direct from its website; Steam itself. This is according to my DVD.
I am pleased to say though, that I have managed to close off my firewall, as this was the culprit that failed Railworks to download.
Many thanks to zm4r for the advice. I am now going to find out how to correct the settings for 3x monitors and see if it works or not.
Then I may be able to see what is missing - add on wise and see if my route is still 'saved' in the Steam Apps. Though if not then, I suppose that's life and it would be a lesson learnt and maybe seek somewhere in the forums on how to save a future route on a disc perhaps. Surely, if you can buy routes from developers on CD, then why not your own.

zm4r
04-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Hiya,
I have removed my Steam apps folder onto my desktop for the time being.
Do you think that I should now remove my entire Steam and Railworks from my system?
I think that Steam apps should be safe now where it is so it can be placed back into the folder later?
Thanks.

Hi,Mark

Your route should be located in the steamapps folder on your desktop. Open
desktop\steamapps\common\railworks\Source
Copy the source folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks.

Your route should be reinstalled?

This only works of course if you did everything right before.

Grtz
Erik

Marklovestrains
04-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi zm4r,

Thanks for pointing that out.
After checking my sources folder - it is empty!
So it looks as if I have lost it.
In the meantime, I have removed Railworks again due to the Steam updater taking far too long to update. I am going to try and re-install it again when I can.
Cheers

Mark.

old timer
04-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi
Have you tried what was suggested way back ie: a windows repair and restore to a date before the trouble started,I have used this several times with success
Ron

Marklovestrains
04-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi Ron,

Yes I did use System Restore, but unfortunately it made no difference.
Though I don't know if that would actually retrieve my route.

Best Regards,

Mark.

lonewolfdon
04-05-2010, 08:19 PM
If you made a package of your route, and if you still have that file the Railworks Packager makes, you should be able to install it from the "Package Manager".

zm4r
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
The file with the Adobe icon, I don't know how this happened?

To unassociate it with Adobe, try the following link

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91920-unassociate-file-extention-type.html

You must end up with a file that windows can't open and has the extention .rwp. How to install: start Railworks and go to Tab package manager, then click on install. Surch the .rwp file on your desktop, click and open. That's it.

If you have copied your Steamapps folder to desktop before you removed Steamapps folder from your most likely C-drive, your route must still be there.

If it's not inside the Railworks\source folder than it's somewhere else.

Look out, there are 2 "source" folders. One is located in the folder "common"

Grtz
Erik

Marklovestrains
04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi,

I have managed to re-install my Railworks. It only seems to like one monitor, probably not compatible with three. God knows what that monitor 3x1set up is in Railworks!
I have re-loaded that Adobe icon into my Railworks and yes it has turned out to be my route. Hence I had changed it to Microsoft Word prior to installing it and had a load of jumbled computer jargon when opened.
So that is good - though it seems a little messed up, with a couple of bits missing ie; fences etc. Unless it was me adjusting the scenery, back then!!
There was a fault with it loading as it had an error regarding a train I had in the station. I think this train was an add on and obviously disappeared when I removed Railworks.
Hopefully, I can get back to it and get things back to normal. I just went into edit mode to check it. So I hope to get it back into shape again.
I'll let you know if I come across any problems, but in the mean time thank you to everybody for their great interest in helping me out with their advice - I wouldn't got this far without you!!!
Thank you all so much.
Best regards,

Mark. ps. Thanks for the recent posts, I do read them all.

zm4r
04-07-2010, 07:43 AM
one monitor problem.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/gxm/selection/

repair route.

Rwtools

http://www.rstools.info/rw_tools.html

Grtz
Erik

Marklovestrains
04-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Hi zm4r,

Thanks for the information to the links.
I will look into them and see what they have.

Cheers!

Mark.