PDA

View Full Version : Beta Testers

ash47
03-29-2010, 05:22 AM
I wish I could beta test portal 2, wonder how valve selects who gets to beta test things, anyone have any ideas? From what I remember, they use friends and family a lot...

GrownupLawolf
03-29-2010, 05:49 AM
I wish I could beta test portal 2
You and 20 million billion trillion others.

Pilk
03-29-2010, 06:22 AM
A lot of the testing is actually done by other departments of the company. For example, in a recent interview one of the developers of Portal 1 stated that they are often required to playtest certain elements of Team Fortress 2. Around 2 hours a week I think he said.

www2
03-29-2010, 06:25 AM
They use hoboes, orphans, psychiatric patients, and seniors, of course :p

But seriously, I believe you are correct. Last I heard, they only use friends, family, and co-workers. With one exception of the ongoing TF2 beta involving tournament players.

moldy_tomato
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/1/25/

we11er
03-29-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm pretty sure they do all their testing in-house with gameplay testers. i.e. they pay people to visit the office and record them playing.

peteypiranha128
03-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Valve should seriously get top contributers from their forums to beta test...
Their current beta testers suck...

Krogglidor
03-29-2010, 08:45 AM
I think that they should get people that have beaten portal in less than 20 minutes and gotton all possible gold medals (77) on the xbox version to beta test it. (Me incase you did not get the subtle hints) :D

Kevin The Cop
03-29-2010, 09:05 AM
I think they should give people who own portal a CHANCE to test at least. Like a lottery or something like that

MADDOGGE
03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
They definitely need to make sure real gamers not casuals test the games.

So_Useless
03-29-2010, 09:15 AM
I would hate to be a beta tester for Portal 2. Because it seems like it would just ruin the retail game for you. Being part of the development means you don't get to enjoy the full product as much, is what I mean.

MADDOGGE
03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I would hate to be a beta tester for Portal 2. Because it seems like it would just ruin the retail game for you. Being part of the development means you don't get to enjoy the full product as much, is what I mean.Yah it's kinda just like being a developer in some ways I'd guess. Loving and hating the game at the same time cause your sick of the sight of it after so long.

Takkenrakker
03-29-2010, 11:32 AM
You and 20 million billion trillion others.

Wow. I didn't know 40000% of the human population wanted to beta test this!

reameesh
03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
They definitely need to make sure real gamers not casuals test the games.

They want to make sure any random dude from the streets is able to do it.

Zekiran
03-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah I'm sorry but "real gamers" should never touch a beta. Ever.

Why? Because they add their own bias to the tests. People who do NOT normally play are the ones needed to be targeted for specific things. Yes, they do inhouse testing, but those are more for technical issues. Game play and flow, understanding concepts and the like, those are things which other-than-gamers MUST be involved with.

If all you want to do is make a race car go faster, then yes, you'll want an experienced driver to test it out.

If what you want is to produce something for the general market which everyone can drive, then you need to have *normal everyday people* driving that car.

It's exactly the same with games, and particularly something like Portal which introduced a huge number of "everyday people" to the idea that they can have a great time playing a new game.

"Experienced", "real" gamers... you've got hundreds of other products to throw at each other and act like monkeys about. You can be better at damn near every aspect of play than someone else. But you also don't seem to give two shakes about *how much fun someone else might have* at playing a new game.

THAT is why Valve uses everyday people to test certain aspects of their games. NOT because they want you to be challenged, but because they want people to have FUN.

we11er
03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Yes, this is standard user testing. You get average people in, sit them down, and get them to play your game or use your new piece of software. They are completely new to it, and you can learn a heck of a lot about what's wrong with your game/software just by watching them and getting them to think out loud.

And imagine all the leaked information if they actually did a public beta. This is a silly idea.

Zekiran
03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
lol Yeah. I keep thinking, MAN I'd love to be a beta tester for (whatever) and then realize... no, no I don't. Because the temptation to tell everyone around me everything I see would be so bad. :/

we11er
03-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Also playing pre-release games kind of sucks. The game is glitchy and not polished and the pacing is off. Even when you play the final version, it's not the same as having that first time fresh experience.

JetsamXYZ
03-29-2010, 03:35 PM
I think that they should get people that have beaten portal in less than 20 minutes and gotton all possible gold medals (77) on the xbox version to beta test it. (Me incase you did not get the subtle hints) :D

Nope, that's not good. If someone has been playing a game for years and is familiar with the mechanics, he'd be the LEAST likely person to be chosen to playtest. The goal of a game developer is to make a game that's challenging but accessible, and they can't determine if Portal 2 is accessible with people who have been playing the original for years, and are very experienced at it.

r2on
03-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Several conclusions:

-You do not understand the concept of game testing.
-You do not understand the concept of profit/production.
-You fail to grasp the idea behind Portal.
-You played Portal 1 way too much.
-You are not a 'good' puzzle solver, you just did the chambers 100 times.

mr turkey40
03-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah I'm sorry but "real gamers" should never touch a beta. Ever.

Why? Because they add their own bias to the tests. People who do NOT normally play are the ones needed to be targeted for specific things. Yes, they do inhouse testing, but those are more for technical issues. Game play and flow, understanding concepts and the like, those are things which other-than-gamers MUST be involved with.

If all you want to do is make a race car go faster, then yes, you'll want an experienced driver to test it out.

If what you want is to produce something for the general market which everyone can drive, then you need to have *normal everyday people* driving that car.

It's exactly the same with games, and particularly something like Portal which introduced a huge number of "everyday people" to the idea that they can have a great time playing a new game.

"Experienced", "real" gamers... you've got hundreds of other products to throw at each other and act like monkeys about. You can be better at damn near every aspect of play than someone else. But you also don't seem to give two shakes about *how much fun someone else might have* at playing a new game.

THAT is why Valve uses everyday people to test certain aspects of their games. NOT because they want you to be challenged, but because they want people to have FUN.

Puzzles are supposed to be challenging, that's what makes them fun. I hope it's not like test-chamber 2.

Zekiran
03-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Puzzles are supposed to be challenging, that's what makes them fun. I hope it's not like test-chamber 2.

And shooting 500 enemies is challenging to someone else.

And running through a level without getting hit once is challenging for another person.

And perhaps none of those things are "fun" for someone else entirely.

Do you see the point here?

The devs of this game have been tuned into a wide, general market for years. They know what they're doing. They also know: their engine is available for use for modding. They have given you the tools to make things to YOUR liking and post them to see whether anyone ELSE likes them. Not everyone likes the same thing, thinks the same things are challenging, nor thinks the same things are "fun".

So it is best to hit the widest market possible, than try and shoot for a far more narrow market. The last thing Valve wants to do is alienate many people. They CAN alienate a couplefew. But in the end, what counts is that the most people have the most fun with their game.

Krogglidor
03-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Several conclusions:

It was a joke, for one they only use friends and family, I am also on the xbox so they won't choose me and I understand that the majority of players need to be able to complete it not just the "pros." also how did you even come to the conclusion that I don't understand the concept of portal? I can't realy disagree with your fourth point ;). And just because I played it enough to get a good record does not mean that I am not a good puzzle solver especially since I found out how to get 75 of those golds myself without the help of YouTube.

Zekiran
03-29-2010, 09:17 PM
It still places you squarely outside their beta tester demographic ;)

Though, for any console that's another slew of testing anyway. What might work on the PC might not on a console/other OS, right?

Most companies DO have in-house testing, actually. I know that Paragon Studios who does City of Heroes almost always tests with friends and family first - they've stated as much and have laughed about 'wives who don't play' doing the testing.

Krogglidor
03-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Though, for any console that's another slew of testing anyway. What might work on the PC might not on a console/other OS, right

I guess that is true, and like I said the majority of the players need to be able to beat it so they get people to test it that have not played it yet. ;)

ash47
03-30-2010, 06:35 AM
I guess we will just have to wait...

GrownupLawolf
03-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Wow. I didn't know 40000% of the human population wanted to beta test this!

I didn't know that seemingly only about 10% of the human population understand sarcasm.

Fatikis
03-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Several conclusions:

Your conclusions are baseless.

You do not know if this person understands game testing. I doubt you understand game testing.

You again do not know what this person knows of profit and production (Which have nothing to do with game testing)
You have no idea who grasps what about portal.

I agree he probably played portal too much to earn all the achievments.

You also have no idea how many times it took someone to beat a chamber or if someone is a good puzzle solver.

In other words you fail.

Moose Muscles
03-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Your conclusions are baseless.

You do not know if this person understands game testing. I doubt you understand game testing.

You again do not know what this person knows of profit and production (Which have nothing to do with game testing)
You have no idea who grasps what about portal.

I agree he probably played portal too much to earn all the achievments.

You also have no idea how many times it took someone to beat a chamber or if someone is a good puzzle solver.

In other words you fail.

When people do things like this, I have the urge to yell out "served!"

+1

GrownupLawolf
03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
In other words you fail.
And the test will be terminated.