PDA

View Full Version : dead

skittlesareyum4
03-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Is this game dead, as far as development goes? And also will there be a sequel? I was talking to some guys and they said that source was the last DoD. I don't believe everything I hear so I guess I might as well ask here.

Eddyz Aquila
03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Game dead? No way.
Development wise? Yes.
Sequel? 99% no. 1% hope. Hope dies last.
Mods and custom maps? YES. Check them out, it makes a totally new game.

igor-qwe
03-30-2010, 05:59 AM
well, it's not dead, but it's already sick. since February achievements died, therefore, many dod players lost hope and got sick... VALVE! FIX THE ACHIEVEMENTS. Lots of players have no goal in the game.

Guyver.
03-31-2010, 12:48 AM
well, it's not dead, but it's already sick. since February achievements died, therefore, many dod players lost hope and got sick... VALVE! FIX THE ACHIEVEMENTS. Lots of players have no goal in the game.
Achievements aren't the goal in this game, there aren't even that many of them.

The goals of this game are: Playing as a team, helping your team, learning to play better, ...and having fun.

If you play a game strictly for achievements you're missing a huge chunk of the fun.

Yes, they need to be fixed, but they're not the goal.

ReidloStonE
04-02-2010, 02:01 PM
of course the game is sick

it sucks

who was the ♥♥♥♥♥♥ responsible for the gameplay
5 seconds sprint and you can not move
sniper sucks, when aiming you almost can not move
also I doubt VAC, play to many shooters to know what is going on
also same with TF2, people involved with a server give themselves privilege over non clan with better weapons or additional armor or advantage

the whole system sucks and is sick

Ustwes R. Dewo
04-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Reidlostone, what are you talking about? 5 seconds sprint? You want unlimited sprint, I take it?

And you want to sprint while in scope with the sniper? How about you don't sit in scope with the sniper. In fact, I cant think of any game that lets you sprint while scoped in.

also same with TF2, people involved with a server give themselves privilege over non clan with better weapons or additional armor or advantage

How is dods like this? There is a limited amount of weapons that everyone can choose from, there is no armour either. In short, theres nothing that can be done to give clan players an advantage over non-clan players - in game.

ReidloStonE
04-02-2010, 03:58 PM
what are you playing

mickey mouse

of course you can take advantage

you can change any setting you want and take advantage when running server
some offer them when giving payment of slots

additional speed etc or lower damage when hit etc

it sucks man

Kiff
04-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Yes development is dead.

Valteq
04-02-2010, 08:30 PM
what are you playing

mickey mouse

it sucks man

I've never played on a server like the one you are describing. Having admins with increased speed, lower damage when hit, and other stuff would piss me off too. I'd say try another server, I've never experienced this.

Kiff
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Actually if anyone's interested, there's a video of valve headquarters and they show Matt Boone (the original day of defeat programmer) busily working on the new left for dead 2 update.

http://gameinformer.com/games/portal_2/m/portal_2_media/272494.aspx

So that's why it's dead. Too much work to be done on the newer games.

Guyver.
04-02-2010, 09:06 PM
what are you playing

mickey mouse

it sucks man

I've played DoD:S for nearly five years and I've NEVER heard of that.

It's not the game that sucks...it's the servers you're playing on.

Negative!
04-02-2010, 11:15 PM
what are you playing

mickey mouse

it sucks man

im pretty sure you cant lower the damage you recieve unless you chaneg the weapon files and take off sv_consistancy or something like that, meaning you can also make your gun do 99999 damage. you should probably just stop playing in clan servers run by 13 year olds and that would solve your problem.

Ustwes R. Dewo
04-03-2010, 11:53 AM
what are you playing

mickey mouse

Dods.

And i've never heard of, or seen this, before.

I think you need to take a closer look at whats going on, because something tells me this isn't it.

Ballin
04-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Achievements aren't the goal in this game, there aren't even that many of them.

The goals of this game are: Playing as a team, helping your team, learning to play better, ...and having fun.

If you play a game strictly for achievements you're missing a huge chunk of the fun.

Yes, they need to be fixed, but they're not the goal.

There is no reward to it.
You do all that hard work winning a match and it doesn't really pay off in the long run

Lancer
04-03-2010, 09:19 PM
You do all that hard work winning a match and it doesn't really pay off in the long run

So you'd rather have an okay k/d ratio and have the rest of your team get trounced with cap outs every 2 minutes than actually cap flags and help your team?

On topic though. Development is dead, only one guy pays attention to it and thats rarely, or whenever something big is broken by a TF2 update. Sequel? We all hope so eventually, but for now some guys are working on a mod called V for Victory. Whether we like it or not DoD is dying in its present form/forms, albeit very slowly.

Ustwes R. Dewo
04-03-2010, 10:19 PM

You do of course, acquire skill at the game, which is much better than any stupid virtual hat you can wear.

Imarriedglados
04-04-2010, 06:06 AM

What do you mean pay off? If you want unlockables then you should stick with TF2 with all the other kids.

Its a shame not as much work is being done on it. I would love to see Caen back on the official map list

Lancer
04-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I would love to see Caen back on the official map list

Same. Pity that valve completely ignored the CAMP3 team's suggestion about a steam hosted map pack

:(

Left4Bread676
04-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Would be nice iff Valve did want to create some sort of map pack and new weapons/classes as DLC. But i guess that would never happen soon anyway.:(

igor-qwe
04-06-2010, 04:05 AM
I'm not hoping to get DLC, guess they have lots of work on new games.
But I hope they'll do everything to fix FREAKING ACHIEVEMENTS, shame not having fully playable game. And +1 for releasing map pack (even if it'll consist user maps only).
And coming back to cheaters. I remember playing VAC server having players who could easily aim, shoot and run with ".30 cal". While after shooting for a second with it you are barely moving, the guy could run and shoot without having his gun pointed in the sky after couple of shots. Don't know what he did, but everyone was annoyed with the fact, that few changes like that could ruin the gameplay.

RosietheRiveter
04-06-2010, 05:29 AM

I haven't run into any quite that bad
Suggestions:
- play on servers advertised as sv_pure 2 or vanilla
- find servers that you like, add them to your favourites.
- Use the filter to omit servers with modifications such as gravity, gungame, warcraft
- add any server with objectionable game play to the browser blacklist.

the same process works with TF2

You will be left with a list of servers to your liking.

Puddle's Pills
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Another thing to consider is the way FPS games have changed. Long gone are the class based teams. The games are now dumbed down to appeal to the more casual ADD 2010 gamer. Level ups and achievements have over taken teamwork. In many cases FPS games are far and away from the glory days of DOD.

The issue of having to play 400 hours to open up the new weapons and attachments. New perks and achievements. Mainly what I see is it leads to camp a holics. Many people do not even use a mic, especially on my ps3. And if they do they are used to spout nonsense and immature insults.

This game is far from dead. Also the vast majority of servers are well admined and fair. I have been away for DODS for a bit but came back on the weekend. All my favorite servers were still there and almost all were full.

I am not expecting any sort of update to DODS as the dev's are now under the schedule of valve. The priority will be the new games and that is a fact. We could use some low hanging fruit like Caen. But I sure am not holding my breath.

Like all games DODS will fade in time. However it has far outlasted many of the other games! Take Battlefield 1942, Soldier of fortune 2, and how about even TFC.

;)

Pande
04-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Actually if anyone's interested, there's a video of valve headquarters and they show Matt Boone (the original day of defeat programmer) busily working on the new left for dead 2 update.

http://gameinformer.com/games/portal_2/m/portal_2_media/272494.aspx

So that's why it's dead. Too much work to be done on the newer games.

That's too bad, because L4D isn't even that fun :mad:

Razgril
04-07-2010, 01:06 PM
I agree with Puddle's Pills. DoD seems to appeal to an "older" or "more mature" community in the sense that most of us have been playing the game since the early beta days and pre-Steam days. Clans and other gaming communities have been around for years now, so most people know each other and many of us casual pubbers enjoy the aspects of class teamplay and fast paced shooting that the game offers.

It is not a perfect game, but it is still fun, and there are people still playing it. So, as long as we remain here and enjoy playing DoD, it will be alive.