PDA

View Full Version : Help us decide on the Toki Tori Demo

collin_twotribes
03-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Hi all,

We are very happy with the feedback we have received from the community for Toki Tori and I'd like to ask you all for a favor.

We are currently considering providing a demo for Toki Tori. The goal for this demo would be to make sure that people are not turned off by thinking it is a cute platformer, but to communicate that it is a pretty devious puzzle game.

So my question to you is: at what point during the game did the 'real' Toki Tori experience emerge for you? We can use this to make plans for a demo.

NOTE: This is not a confirmation of a demo, we're just looking into if it makes sense or not :)

Thanks!

Collin

Anhi
03-30-2010, 08:46 AM
I pretty much got the idea of the game at the first few levels already :)

darkgriffin1986
03-30-2010, 09:45 AM
I'd say around the later(not tutorial) parts of the first world.

I think if you include a couple of the tutoral levels(the ones for planks, teleport, and maybe an ice gun level), along with a couple of the first world's puzzle levels, it should work fine. :) Maybe toss in a hard level (or two of different logic?) so that they can get a feel for how devious some of the later levels will get.

From there it would become very obveous that the game is very much a puzzle game, and they would also get a good idea of the difficulty by playing the hard level.

One important thing is that they get a good idea of difficulty without having enough levels to play just the demo and leave. A lot of puzzle game demos tend to give out tutorial levels showing how the game plays, but then fail to properly demonstrate the true difficulty that the main game will become. What happens when there arn't any hard levels in the demo is you get a bunch of people who are very casual puzzle gamers, and the hard core puzzle solvers feel like the game won't offer enough challenge. Toki-Tori gets downright diabolically hard, in a smart way of course, in some of the later stages. It would be very important I think that the demo gets this across as well, while not including so many hard levels it satisfies the player. :)

Good luck to you! The game is fantastic, and really deserves a demo to get people to play it.

CannibalBob
03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Forest hard... 5? (the last one).

Actually, I think if you just gave all the forest levels in the demo, but the rest are locked, then that'd be a good indication of the game.

Personally, I found the forest levels to be the most fun. Bubble levels were quite devious, sewer levels were just... eh didn't like the tileset, castle levels were alright.

Metro
03-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Skip the first few as they are obviously tutorial as people mentioned. Maybe three of the later forest ones and three of the middle castle ones.

BlinkyBlink
04-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I think forrest fall normal 2,3,4,8 and hard 5 and 6 would be good for a demo you got some of the tutorials and a few nice ones. I Don't think there should be more demo levels or from the other worlds.

hazlema
04-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Forest hard... 5? (the last one).

Actually, I think if you just gave all the forest levels in the demo, but the rest are locked, then that'd be a good indication of the game.

Personally, I found the forest levels to be the most fun. Bubble levels were quite devious, sewer levels were just... eh didn't like the tileset, castle levels were alright.

Agreed. The first few levels may be to deceptively easy, need to give a good sampling in any demo.

fakiyo
04-01-2010, 01:36 PM
At least one level out of every setting. Also helps with difficulty. Of course only "early" levels of later stages.

vempajor
04-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I think the levels should be only from 1 or max 2 worlds. And only some, don't need to give a long playing time. Some tutorial and hard levels together.

doomed23
04-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I had a go on the iPhone demo (Toki Tori Lite) which had the first seven or eight tutorial levels from the game, and this convinced me to buy the full game on Steam. This was also the only way I could play a demo of Toki Tori.

I think there should definitely be a demo on Steam, which should have at least a few tutorial levels so the player knows what's going on, and it should include another couple of Forest Falls levels. It would be nice to include one or two levels from a different world (probably Creepy Castle would be best) to show the game's variety. I think other worlds should definitely not be shown though, to keep the surprise when the player unlocks new worlds in the full game.

Great game by the way! :)

Xenesis
04-09-2010, 04:50 AM
I think personally a demo should include enough to get a solid taste of the game, show a little of the variety but not give it all away.

My thoughts:
-Selection of Forest Falls and Creepy Castle levels (No more than about 7-8)
-Tutorial levels for all the required gadgets.
-Don't just give the easy levels (FF as a whole is pretty easy). Chuck in some easy ones, some moderate ones and maybe one really hard one.

fakiyo
04-11-2010, 03:16 AM
So what is the current state of you devs about releasing / making a demo? :)

collin_twotribes
04-12-2010, 12:23 AM
We're not sure if it would help, so that's why I opened this thread. Sometimes demos actually hurt sales, so we are very cautious when it comes to releasing them.

vempajor
04-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I think in the case of Toki Tori it would not hurt the sales, cause this game is much better than it looks like from screenshots or videos. Demos could be not good only games what are not good enough IMO, but TT is an awesome one. :)

Wiezzen
04-12-2010, 08:33 PM
If you decide to release a demo, just make sure to include both normal and hard difficulties. This will show all players who try the demo that there's a difficulty right for them.

For a hard level, I'd suggest tossing in Bubble Barrage Hard 4 as it's currently my all time favorite level :)

With that said, I'd suggest keeping levels that require you to build complicated towers out of a demo (Bubble Barrage Hard 2)