PDA

View Full Version : I totally dont like rpg games but am a big shooter fan, is this game for me?

rashad241
04-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Hello everyone, im a diehard fps gamer but no rpg. Even though the steam has a deal for this game, i mostly like coop style games, like left for dead and MW2. Not sure if this coop will suit me :(

Cypher024
04-02-2010, 07:45 AM
This is an FPS with RPG elements. It's primarily an FPS.

Sian
04-02-2010, 08:40 AM
basically, it's a FPS with a diablo-style skill tree and weapon/armor drops, and MMORPG style mission structure.

Euphytose
04-02-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't like RPGs either ( ok ok, Deus Ex is kind of a RPG, but...blahblahblah ), and I loved that game, don't hesitate.

prentle
04-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I also am in the 'not sure' camp as to buying this game. I do love RPG games and dont mind FPS.

Half price does seem a bargain but just unsure if I will get much enjoyment from it.

RaggedyJan
04-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Hello everyone, im a diehard fps gamer but no rpg. Even though the steam has a deal for this game, i mostly like coop style games, like left for dead and MW2. Not sure if this coop will suit me :(

sooo play L4D or MW2. If you really must buy a new game then go for Team Fortress 2 for a good team based shooter.

elmoi69
04-02-2010, 01:28 PM
i'm also in the "Not so sure boat", i don't like RPGs that much, but, is this game primary a FPS? or is more like a RPG? i got my credit card in hand convince me.

Dark_X2
04-02-2010, 01:34 PM
It is a shooter.

The RPG elements are like in Diablo that you gain better weapons that are basicly the same as before but do more damage...

Foulplay
04-02-2010, 01:51 PM
its about 80% shooter / 20% RPG

I love RPGs and shooters, and for me this game is just about perfect.

Basically you shoot everything in the face with awesome weapons, and run about like a maniac killing specific bosses and collecting some quest items for rewards which allow you to shoot stuff in the face even harder.

As you lvl up in the game you get access to gradually more powerful weapons, grenades and shields, and you can put points into the skill trees to beef up your abilities.

For example, the Hunter has skills for making his pet do more damage, or to make sniper weapons more powerful, or to make pistols better. It allows you to kill stuff in whatever way makes you happy. You can re-train at any point if you decide you are bored with your current selection of skills.

The RPG stuff is really there to make the shooting more fun, and to give you a reason to travel to all the different areas in the world. There is a marker telling you where to hand in your quest, so you never get lost, the RPG elements really are minimal, but have a big impact on the shooting.

If you like shooters definitely give this a go, specially as its so cheap right now.

Dave3d
04-02-2010, 01:53 PM
For all those people who never played a RPG in their life, and wont get any of these "its like diablo' or 'its like stalker' references:

It is mainly a FPS. Lots of run-n-gun. And snipe-n-gun.

The basic rpg elements are this:
1. You dont always hit what you are aiming at at first. The 'skill tree's' are for leveling up your aiming (better guns aim better too).
2. You usually get a companion type skill. The hunter has a hawk, that you can release to damage/kill enemies. The hawk also has his own skill tree, to be more powerful/faster/etc. The other characters you can play all have different things they do.
3. Weapons: Not all weapons have the same kill/hit/aim ratio. You have to get better guns all the time, until you find guns that compliment your character and skill tree.

With all tyhat being said, the rpg elements compliment the game very well.
They add another element (albiet, very basically) to the typical fps, in a good way.

Other than those (VERY basically explained things), the game is a run-n-gun style game.

I never ever liked any rpg game before. Ever.
I loved Borderlands though.

Chetyre
04-02-2010, 02:33 PM
The rpg elements in this game are hardly there. If you like shooters, you'll enjoy this game.

elmoi69
04-02-2010, 03:00 PM
[Dave3d]For all those people who never played a RPG in their life"

You sold this game to me sir! i bought it, thanks for your advice

Dave3d
04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
NP
Hope you like it as much as I did.

Zukabazuka
04-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Every class get the same weapons, similar skills and hardly any story for this game. Very few answer too about the area.

And about finding a good weapon? You can be lucky and find a good one, I did had it for 20-30 levels before even finding a better revolver.

The amount of monsters in the game is not that many really, so you will most likely feel going from place to place only to find the same enemies over and over again.

Lets count them,
1. Bandits,
2. Bugs
3. Spider bugs.
4. Another species
5. Bird monsters
6. Bugs with hard shell on them.
7. Skags
8. Steel soldiers
And there are different versions of them but then again its the same kind.
Sure the list might seems big but really once you went through the first map it will feel like you met every single monster in the game.

The first skill you put on is the only one you use any time you want, the others are passive or becomes active when killing a monster. If you really need those skills to survive or do any decent damage, the bosses are gonna be a problem. Because very few of them have monsters around them.

I liked the first time when playing through, the second time wasn't so fun because for me the fun start at lvl 45 and up.

jsk68
04-02-2010, 03:58 PM
If you like sniping and generally always looking for a better weapon this is the best shooter out there, you can spend hours just running around endlessly searching for better weapons personally I love it, sniping with a badass revolver is fun as hell.:p

the rpg element basically just lets you fine tune the way you like to play, so dont let that scare you away.

Austin007
04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
After watching a few youtubes of the gameplay, I'm on the fence as well. Headshots at point blank range and the enemy still doesn't go down? Come on, I don't need that. I'd be frustrated as heck.

jiminator
04-02-2010, 04:21 PM
headshots do critical damage. critical damage > health = death. and some of the enemies have TONS of health. (but most are easy).

jsk68
04-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Ive never seen an enemy my same level (accept bosses) survive a headshot, usually they end up headless lol.

Chetyre
04-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Ive never seen an enemy my same level (accept bosses) survive a headshot, usually they end up headless lol.
Wait until playthrough 2.

Kiju243
04-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I suppose this game isn't for everyone, mainly due to a few things that each party won't like versus the other one. I'll go ahead and list 'em out for ya! ^^

1) FPS fans will love and hate the fact there's always a better gun out there for you.

2) FPS fans will enjoy the fact that all of the guns function quite well, and are most rewarding in some of the kills and way enemies die.

3) FPS fans might enjoy the fact that there are new twists to old favorites. Rocket launchers that shoot acid, pistols that shoot lightning, and assault rifles that light people on fire.

4) The RPG elements in the game are fairly minor, but integral to the game. Players will level up their characters, getting loot for killing enemies to slowly upgrade their arsenal with new weapons, grenade mods to alter how your grenades work, class mods to increase your character's abilities judging by your play style, and shields to boost your survivability. They will also have to manage what skills they spend their points in upon level up to customize how they play the game. But, don't worry, the bonuses are fairly obvious, and take an immediate, obvious effect; no complicated, 'perfect' builds. Just build yourself up and go according to your play-style. Whether you want, for example, to be a Light Machine gun toting monster with increased clip capacity, the ability to regenerate ammo, and to lay down a line of fire for several seconds without reloading...you can do that with a few skill points placed correctly, or running around with nothing but a levy of shotguns and a smile on your face as you shout 'Get Off My Lawn!' to everything in your path.

To put it quite literally, it's like what Killingfloor did with their level up system, but Borderlands made it more entertaining, simpler to achieve, and much easier to get. Plus, a lot of it is player-driven advancement and strengthening, rather than pre-determined. You don't have to build your skills a certain way to kick butt and chew bubblegum, you can build up however the hell you want and still come out a winner. As a lot of people have said, they took the classic FPS game and threw an RPG element into it. Thankfully, they threw the last remaining rivet into the machine, instead of a monkey wrench.

The only thing FPS fans might not like is that the game revolves around bettering your character. You do not start off all high-and-mighty. You start off with rather laughable equipment, and have to build up from there. It's a fairly quick process though, given enough patience. So hang in there for about...five, six hours, and you'll be rackin' up the kill count. Especially if you play with a few buddies.

If you're still not sure, I'd suggest goin' to a few other forums and readin' up on what people are saying to do when playing. Some tactics, strategies, and tips that can be used to get yourself prepared for this game.

elixenie
04-03-2010, 02:25 AM
This is the best shooter I've ever played, but I'm not a huge shooter fan. I love it first for the atmosphere, the freedom, and sense of vastness.

There's a good balance between mission goals and chance encounters. Fast travel is available but taking your time to traverse the distances has its rewards. I love puttering along in my car and occasionally getting ambushed, my ride blowed up, and stranded out in the middle of nowhere with enemies in both directions. For me the magic of this game lies somewhere between Giants: Citizen Kabuto and GTA Vice City.

The loot factor mainly adds to variety. Borderlands nails the best element of Diablo II which so many games failed to understand: Different good weapons to decide between based on your play style, rather than always a clear-cut superiority of one over the other. I like shock damage on my long range weapons to wear down enemy shields on my approach, and then explosive rounds for when it's time to move in for close combat. But you don't have to do theorycraft or fret over this stuff. My main weapon is usually not my most effective, but the one with the best sound effects. Most or all of the sound in this game is original, so you won't be hearing the same grenade / lightning / town portal sounds that so many other games use.

The skill trees remind me a bit of Guild Wars in that their bonuses feed off each other. For example there are bonuses to specific damage types, and other bonuses that kick in when you kill with that damage type. You won't have the points for every skill so you'll need to make decisions, and your character's strengths will likely be different from from the strengths of others you team up with. Again, the result is not number crunching RPG stuff, but more nuanced gameplay that makes you consider your timing & special abilities in combat, and encourages you to take risks.

The one thing I will warn you about is that this game is no fun to play with people who are more in a hurry than you are. If you're all on the same page it's great, but if you enjoy choosing between weapons or exploring your surroundings, it's kind of hellish to play with people who are looking to get right to the action. To me it seems like they are missing half the game. I'm sure they see it the same way in reverse.

Austin007
04-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Great info guys, thanks alot, I'm closer to deciding now!

Ohnoes!101
04-03-2010, 07:54 AM

As a fellow fps fan, it is more of an rpg than a shooter. Aiming is minimal, (think the game defaults auto aim on..lol)

But still good fun with a few ppl

roverhead
04-27-2010, 12:53 PM
this game rocks and i dont play rts or rpg games i got almost 400hrs in this game there are sum nasty guns in it when you get higher lvls its worth the 30-40 bucks u pay 4 it