PDA

View Full Version : Are there any servers?

OtakuManu
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi. I wanted to join a game, but I could not find any. Does anyone play anymore? I cant find any servers.

the_can
04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
There aren't dedicated servers. The game is a P2P Server client, which is to say one person hosts, and all the others are using their comp as a server. It's a weird pain of a system, but it runs pretty well if you have a decent comp and connection.

OtakuManu
04-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Hmm,seems you are right, thanks. Damn, why do they make this on pc? Its ruining pc games.

DaedricFire
04-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I was hosting a server earlier, nobody joined.

Broken89
04-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I never have played this online but oh well I've had a ♥♥♥♥load of fun by myself.

OtakuManu
04-02-2010, 02:50 PM
I was hosting a server earlier, nobody joined.
The same happened to me.

the_can
04-02-2010, 02:52 PM
organize a game prior to playing.

jdub
04-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Its more of a game you play with friends, or set up prior to playing. Pub games are kinda wierd anyways.

EDIT: Yeah, i had a TON of issues at launch of this game as well. Used gameranger for a while to host, and it worked pretty well. Somewhere there was a launcher.exe that set up your UPnP and made things a lot easier, but i think they may have fixed the connectivity issue internally. Heard something about it a while back, but i haven't played Co-op in a few months, so i wouldn't know for sure. Playing pub games gets wierd as, depending on how ur connection is set up, VOIP may not work, levels may be diff and enemys too tough or too easy because of it, distant hosting, loot theives, etc. Highly recommend playing with people you talk to outside of game to limit the grief.

fitsch
04-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Ye try to get friends in to make it enjoyable. Also you need to forward quite a bunch of ports to be able to host and it's still not sure you can. I had like 11 ports forwarded and could never host a game :(

whatisnarwhal
04-02-2010, 06:38 PM
1. Get at least one friend to play with you
2. Make a public server with friend
3. Never stop having fun, even with the random people joining your server leaving after you and your friend talk* about why Twinkies are better than Sno Balls** for 30 minutes.

With this guide, Borderlands will always be fun to play online.

*Talk over the mic for better results
**This can be a conversation about anything no one cares about

deadlybydesign
04-02-2010, 06:48 PM
I dislike the server situation, but I think Borderlands is stuck with it. At least with the way Gearbox has the game's quests setup... The whole game is dependent on the host's quest list. If you're out of sync, you'll often be 'ineligible' for what's going on. You can participate, but won't get the quest completion credit. Because of that, I'm not sure how a dedicated server would handle it, as is...

aforumtotalkon1
04-03-2010, 01:40 AM
So is there still an online community for this game?

elixenie
04-03-2010, 02:45 AM
I played all night from level 10 to 15 and there were usually about 20 games listed that I could join.

Start a game, and put your time zone in the name along with "please join" or similar. You might get some level 61s wanting to powerlevel you, but if they are good they will still let you be in danger so that there's some challenge in it for you.

If that doesn't work, keep starting new games, and ask the people who join if they have characters in range of the one you'd rather be playing with.