PDA

View Full Version : Shadows of the Colossus

drealoth
04-02-2010, 06:47 PM
I really hope that for the next game, the horses are done to be more like they are in Shadow of the Colossus. While Mount&Blade certainly has the best mounted combat of any game I've played, in terms of riding horses in a game, nobody has even come close to Shadow of the Colossus.

EDIT: Apparently the game is called Shadow of the Colossus, not Shadows of the Colossus.

Canadian WMD
04-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Care to elaborate?
Never played it.

drealoth
04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
It's difficult if you haven't played it.

Perhaps the best way to describe it is that you are not so much controlling the horse, but giving input suggestions to it - it is its own entity, reacting to your suggestions and the environment. For example, if you try to make it run off of a cliff, it stops - not because it hits an invisible wall, but because the weight of your input is less than its desire to not run off of a cliff. What you end up with is less control, but also closer to what I imagine horseback riding to be.

MaddPhish
04-03-2010, 08:14 AM
It's difficult if you haven't played it.

Perhaps the best way to describe it is that you are not so much controlling the horse, but giving input suggestions to it - it is its own entity, reacting to your suggestions and the environment. For example, if you try to make it run off of a cliff, it stops - not because it hits an invisible wall, but because the weight of your input is less than its desire to not run off of a cliff. What you end up with is less control, but also closer to what I imagine horseback riding to be.

Hardly. It just slams into a hard coded boundary, goes into that "I don't want to go there animation" and stops. Aside from the animation it handles exactly like the ones in M&B. Well that and the Hero's bow can be shot from either side easily, but he's using a rather short bow at that. That only thing it really does that M&B horses don't is come when you whistle.

protyx
04-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Many mods have a feature, that allows you to whistle so your horse comes over.