PDA

View Full Version : STO Advisory Concil.....the game is saved!

Conundrum-NSA
04-02-2010, 10:31 PM
The Announcement (http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=147393)

The News Post (http://startrekonline.com/node/1470)

The reaction (http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)

Sometimes I think Cryptic is like a perpetual April Fools joke. I especially like the part where the "Advisory Council" is manned with people who run fansites.

RotorHead
04-03-2010, 03:43 AM
I don't know about you, but the advisory council should get perks for all of their hardwork.

Something along the lines of like o say: (http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2374119)

Exclusive In-Game Chat Channel
Talk shop with other Council Members. Share thoughts and ideas about the game, or anything else.

Front-of-Queue-Front-of-Lifetime Support
Waiting isn’t fun, and we don’t think you should have to do it. Any time the server is queued, you’ll go to the front of it, even in front of the lifers.

In-Game Title
Visibly show off your support.

In-Game VIP LoungeSpend time in an exclusive area inside the game. This social area is limited to Council Members only.

A Unique Costume Piece
Show off that fancy new title in style.

These are no amateurs running the show, and this isn't their first MMO, they act with the precision of a surgeon in all their actions. This was their plan all along, sure they never knew what direction to take the game. But they did know they were always going to have the customer develop the direction for them, all for a fee of course.

Is this just another stall tactic to keep people subbing? Maybe they should take a few pages from the big boys and focus on making a great game, so they don't have to worry about player councils, polls, feedback from people who aren't even interested in playing the game in the first place, and nickel & diming their customers with the newest, latest, greatest c-store fad. I mean come on, focus on keeping your current customers happy before going into desperation mode and trying to grab every last cent you can before moving on to the next cash grab.

Conundrum-NSA
04-03-2010, 04:43 AM
This proves just how dumb Cryptic really is:

First of all, Player councils and committees have been created in MMO almost since their beginning. Without exception ALL of them have been dismal failures.

Second of all, Cryptic has seen what happens first hand when you elevate (or appear to elevate) one group of players above another with the whole "lifers vs monthly" debacle. What do they do, they turn around and elevate another group of players above the unwashed masses....all I can say is...

……………………………………..________
………………………………,.-‘”……………….“~.,
………………………..,.-”……………………………..“-.,
…………………….,/………………………………………..”:,
…………………,?………………………………………………\,
………………./…………………………………………………..,}
……………../………………………………………………,:`^`..}
……………/……………………………………………,:”………/
…………..?…..__…………………………………..:`………../
…………./__.(…..“~-,_…………………………,:`………./
………../(_….”~,_……..“~,_………………..,:`…….._/
……….{.._$;_……”=,_…….“-,_…….,.-~-,},.~”;/….}
………..((…..*~_…….”=-._……“;,,./`…./”…………../
…,,,___.\`~,……“~.,………………..`…..}…………../
…………(….`=-,,…….`……………………(……;_,,-”
…………/.`~,……`-………………………….\……/\
………….\`~.*-,……………………………….|,./…..\,__
,,_……….}.>-._\……………………………..|…………..`=~-,
…..`=~-,_\_……`\,……………………………\
……………….`=~-,,.\,………………………….\
…………………………..`:,,………………………`\…………..__
……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“
…………………………………._\……….._,-%…….`\
……………………………..,< `.._|_,-&``................`\

Kitsunami
04-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Oh-dear.

Might work.

But ive yet to see that work. I was even on one of those, i left because of the petty arguments and all the crap it devolves into. It -always- ends up about 'them' rather than the players.

Cristari
04-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh-dear.

Might work.

But ive yet to see that work. I was even on one of those, i left because of the petty arguments and all the crap it devolves into. It -always- ends up about 'them' rather than the players.

Exactly and have you seen the people on the advisory council lets just say total nerd comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AU045yH-MM&feature=player_embedded
http://shutupwesley.tumblr.com/
http://www.sfi.org/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=486:volunteer-needed-star-trek-online-advisory-council&catid=39:special&Itemid=103 < They haven't even got a volunteer for the council just a position!

None of it looks good at all!

Kitsunami
04-03-2010, 03:34 PM
nerd is not a problem, its star trek ;)

candidates are kinda...wierd though. Reeks of publicity stunt

I sent them a email about a few things xD

bogswan
04-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Hmm why do I keep getting the mental image of the SouthPark kids laughing their arses off at pulling this one off!:D

RotorHead
04-04-2010, 02:22 AM
I must say, the STO forums are priceless in terms of entertainment. It pretty much makes up for wasting money on such a shoddy product. If only the game could be transferred to a real company with gaming interests, but that is beside the point.

They are in full on damage control mode now. Put out a FAQ with more cryptic answers from cryptic which boil down to "sit down and shutup", "oh and please pay $14.99 a month for the privilidge".

The shutupwesley site is no longer in the Cryptic announcement. That page is also no longer viewable and comes up with a page not found screen. All for the better too, that site had nothing to do with Star Trek other then the childish "shutupwesley" name it had going on. It talked about Dr. Who and said hobbies were playing World of Warcraft, not STO lol. Not to mention the lewd laungage, cussing, and down right lack of respect of decency for other human beings. Even the kids own father, whom apparently she was so mad at that she used his razor to shave her hoo hoo to get him back. Star Trek: To boldy shave where no one has shaved before....

You have to love these amateurs at Cryptic, they know comedy.

Then there is the STOked guys they are promoting too. (http://jupiterforce.org/showthread.php?1813-congratulations-to-Chris-and-Jeremy) Whom as it comes to find out don't have any respect for the people that post on the official forums and lump them all into a group as haters. Reading the forums for the STOked guys it's obvious to me they are projecting their own hatered they have. Their forums are just as, if not more hostile then the official STO forums. They see a hater everytime they look in the mirror. Hey maybe that will get whitewashed like the shutupwesley site. :D

Still, lets look at the big picture. One of the things stated over and over again about this whole council is that partly it is to give a voice to people who don't know about STO. Lets take a closer look shall we?

The shutupwesley community, which is strangely no longer being linked to or no longer avaialble to view, was about Dr. Who, World of Warcraft, and saying nasty comments. There weren't even any nasty comments about STO, nothing about STO!

Then there is these STOked guys. Their forum statistics show very small numbers, 500 active users and 1,000 registered, small enough to question why Cryptic would be wasting their time on these things instead of focusing all their time and energy towards making a game so good that you don't need a player council in the first place.

The Trekmovie.com site seems like a good place to go for these kinds of things. Of course this is overshadowed by the fact that the game sucks, good games sell themselves, not "councils". Good developers make good games, not community developed. A little input yes, but the devs should have the vision and direction.

Same goes for the "Starfleet" site. This is overshadowed by the fact that the game sucks, good games sell themselves, not "councils". Good developers make good games, not community developed. A little input yes, but the devs should have the vision and direction.

This really is just more Cryptic amateur hour logic. Wasting time and resources on such little input. All the while completely ignoring the biggest community they should be listening to on the forums. Albeit many of the people who wanted to see the game succeed have been run off by the lifer trolls for not saying the game is the best of the best of the best. So I'm not surpirsed they are looking for alternatives other then the official forums now.

And lets be honest, the majority of people who can find these obscure forums that few have ever even seen, could find or hear about Star Trek Online without a council. Especially if they are Star Trek fans. I think the real issue Cryptic is running into though is how bad their game really is. These are steps they have to take as band aids, cause they are hurting bad judging by the chatter on the internet and the huge amount of posters that dissapeared from the forums once the free 30 days were up.

Foojo
04-04-2010, 02:52 AM
So I followed the one link and went to the forums, and found this gem:

Important Information Regarding Real-Life Threats

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=137153

What a sad player base.

Milkycookie
04-04-2010, 04:40 AM
So I followed the one link and went to the forums, and found this gem:

Important Information Regarding Real-Life Threats

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=137153

What a sad player base.

It's not really a sad player base. If you could find or dig up the old Hellgate London Forums you'll find exactly the same thing.

What we have here is positive reinforcement on a negative purchase. Subconsciously, these lifers are really trying to positively remind themselves that they have invested in a good product and by insulting the non-lifers, positively reinforces themselves that they made the right decision.

To put it simply (Since i cant for the life of me remember the exact term) ever had that feeling after you made a purchase that you paid more than you should have?

Well these guys have having that same feeling. However, reassure themselves that they made the right decision, they will continuously seek out whatever positives available and downplay any negatives they find. Hence the savage attacks on anything negative said by a player.

It's not so much as Trekkie versus non trekkie, but a subconscious need to feel right about a decision they make.

Once they are in the acceptance phase, they'll eventually move on and realize how much a turd their purchase was.

If you could compare the STO forums to the Hellgate Forums, it's the same exact situation. People who jumped on the Life Subscription band wagon before even trying out the game are caught in a personal dilemma. Internally they know they bought a piece of turd, but cannot come to terms how stupid they were for making such a dumb decision. Not stupid mind you, just dumb.

And because they just cannot face the fact of a moment of being dumb, they have to project the mistake to others, just to feel 'right' and 'smart'.

Conundrum-NSA
04-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Buyers Remorse.

RotorHead
04-04-2010, 05:01 AM
Part of their current cover up tactic is to lay blame of this council process at the feet of a social networking group their publishers at Atari employ called DKConnect. (http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2497478&postcount=123)

In Cryptic speak, "we gave the internal team that does our marketing a fancy new name, called DKConnect". Then they just let everyone assume this is some 3rd party company, and be mad at some ghost entity instead of Cryptic and their tactics.

Much like letting the people that pre-ordered Champions Online assume that guarenteed beta access meant guarenteed beta access. Keeping the terms and limits unknown & hidden until beta started while money had already exchanged hands way past refund dates.

I do believe they all see dollar $igns in their eyes from the Star Trek name.

Conundrum-NSA
04-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Well it could be some low rent contractors they hired. That would actually explain why they are clueless about MMO history and player advisors.

HanoverFist
04-05-2010, 09:59 AM
It's just one bad move after another with this company.

RotorHead
04-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Well it could be some low rent contractors they hired. That would actually explain why they are clueless about MMO history and player advisors.

That could be true.

Personally I still feel cryptic isn't just the name of their company, and that they are better business people then they are game developers.

I just read some info on the forums that was fairly enlightening too.

www.startrekonline.com/chat (http://startrekonline.com/chat) (type /join #stoQA once you are connected and see people talking to switch from the default cahnnel to the dev channel)

Session Start: Tue Mar 09 13:35:53 2010
Session Ident: #stoqa
[13:35] * Now talking in #stoqa
[13:35] * Topic is 'Star Trek Online Quality Assurance channel - Rules apply: http://bit.ly/97uqa | Showstopper thread at http://bit.ly/6HZyy7 | Server Status: UP'
[13:35] * Set by baroness on Mon Feb 15 02:20:52
[..]
[22:54] <&Cryptic_Falkoren> EVERY issue is handled by a priority system that users do not dictate unless significant user response is received
[22:54] <deathkittin> alright cool
[22:54] <&Cryptic_Falkoren> It could take less than a day to 6 months before an issue is fixed
[22:55] <deathkittin> yeah it's just i remember submitting bugs with city of heroes mission briefings and they never got fixed ever
[22:55] <deathkittin> no idea if you were around with cryptic then tho
[22:56] <&Cryptic_Falkoren> over 90% of the employees here now were not around
of course this is public knowledge, Jack Emmert and a few others took the company away from a rather abusive publisher, NCsoft (if you think Atari are bad, wow... inside story about how badly things are run there from the former NCsoft Europe Chief Technical Officer (http://t-machine.org/index.php/2009/01/16/we-need-to-talk-about-tabula-rasa-when-will-we-talk-about-tabula-rasa/)) - and remade it - dunno what happened to the others if they all stayed with ncsoft/paragon studios or not, I guess there might be as small a percentage with them too and people just left and joined other companies carried on with their personal careers

so yeah, "less than 10%" of Cryptic as we know it are the people that made city of heroes, it's just a brand name really, like how the famous Atari doesn't actually exist anymore at all, it's just that French company Infogrames bought the Atari company name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari) from Hasbro then renamed themselves, like a sheep in wolf's clothing (yeah, I did put that the right way around)

So yeah, if you want good stuff from THIS cryptic you need to push them, because they are really not the same people, it explains to me why the character creator and skills information is so bad for example compared to how "they" did it in City of Villains

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=148237

Milkycookie
04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
That could be true.

Personally I still feel cryptic isn't just the name of their company, and that they are better business people then they are game developers.

I just read some info on the forums that was fairly enlightening too.

The article is just stating what alot of us gamers already are feeling.

I've not played TR or Pirates though I'd heard of it on the grapevine.

Hellgate London was a different story. As I had some intimate knowledge of it pre-launch. Let's just say I had the opportunity to play the alpha build of a couple of games that was being released.

The story of Bill Roper's "Nobody gets our billing plan" was well known at that time. But the simple fact of the matter was that deep down in every gamer's heart we knew the billing plan was a nickel and diming plan. The thing is, I think alot of us didn't really understand the gaming industry since it was relatively new (my part of the world).

When Hellgate Launched the frenzy was tremendous. I (just barely) snagged a copy of it on launch day. Credit Card in hand, I was about to snap up a Life Plan. The thing was (if i remember correctly) the launch on my part of the world was actually a complete F**K up. The Client build was behind what was available in the US and hence we were in all intents and purposes playing the pre-release BETA Build.

Chat was all screwed up, constant Disconnects, etc. The good thing about all the F**K ups was that most of us didn't need to pay for the upper content till they fixed the billing system which was F**KED on launch. Within the first week, most of us fanbois were already fully aware what a steaming piece of fecal matter Hellgate London was.

It mattered not however, because we were enticed with the glaring fact that was made known to us that we were playing a pre-release Beta or alpha as some more observant players noted.

With the Post Launch Patch dangled before us, most stayed with the game. Cutting a long story short, alot of us were saved by the missing patch. As many players did not 'upgrade' their accounts and played the single player. I left the game within 2 weeks. By then however, if memory serves...the crap started with promises continuously broken and the introduction of the life time subscriptions.

One interesting thing about all this was that I believe, imho that many of us had 'Buyer's Remorse' though not as afflicted as the people on the STO boards. Deep down we knew this was crap on a platter, but we played it anyways with 'hopes' of a better tomorrow with the post launch patch.

Eventually when the patch rolled in plus the Halloween extra thingie I can't remember now...Hellgate London was as good as F**KED up the ♥♥♥♥ royally. From the forums, which i read often, the servers were becoming ghost towns and the game was literally dying...4 months after launch....

What I do remember vividly was spending Halloween trying to get the damn headless horsemans' mount :p (I still don't have it dammit...lol)

Kitsunami
04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Hellgate london was awesome but ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ly easy.

Also, its coming back!

Hellgate Rebirth, with the Tokyo expansion. A korean team got the license and fixed it xD

RotorHead
04-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm
One step forward, two steps back.

So the Disaster-Formerly-Known-As-The-Advisory-Council is based on the individual after all, and not the organisation they represent?Originally Posted by Rekhan
Certainly not. We want to hear from his organization, but we reached out to him to be their representative, since he, you know runs it.

You can take a sentence in a lot of ways, though. Does your first sentence mean you're bad at walking?

Originally Posted by Rekhan
Certainly not. We want to hear from his organization, but we reached out to him to be their representative, since he, you know runs it.

You can take a sentence in a lot of ways, though. Does your first sentence mean you're bad at walking?Originally Posted by UK-Nightwatch
I think you Know very well what he meant Rekhan. I'm glad it was not me that made that post with your answer - you where not to know it but I have mobility issues. No offence taken as non was implied (or is that inferred?) as far as I'm concerned, but that could have gone bad for you.

Any way no QQ!

I am just glad you have answered about this guy being invited to the council and have said you will contact him about the issue.

Oh my my my :eek: (http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=149326)

gogo customer service (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o1-PlON3ss)

Cristari
04-09-2010, 04:28 AM
Yes very Inspector Gadget only they don't have a Penny to help them out!

I think their office is full of Inspector Gadgets. :(