PDA

View Full Version : Steam says I'm still playing after I exit the game.

MrBungle
04-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I have to hit ctrl + alt + delete and manually stop it from the processes tab. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

bogswan
04-03-2010, 11:57 AM
yer i noticed this aswell and have to start the task manager to stop the process but no idea why its happening!

yet another bug to add to the mega long list for BFBC2

tinsteelviper
04-03-2010, 11:59 AM
yer i noticed this aswell and have to start the task manager to stop the process but no idea why its happening!

yet another bug to add to the mega long list for BFBC2

actually this might be a steam bug, because STALKER Call of Pripyat does this to me too.

Beezy
04-03-2010, 12:02 PM
actually this might be a steam bug, because STALKER Call of Pripyat does this to me too.

It is.

Steam bug, not game bug.

sinatosk
04-03-2010, 12:02 PM
using an nvidia card?

using drivers 197.13 whql? ( I don't know about beta )

I went back to 196.21 and this issues stopped for me.

I came home one night and look at BC2 said I played for 48 hours... thought huh? I looked in the task manager and there were 2 processes of the game running :p

tinsteelviper
04-03-2010, 12:03 PM
using an nvidia card?

using drivers 197.13 whql? ( I don't know about beta )

I went back to 196.21 and this issues stopped for me.

I came home one night and look at BC2 said I played for 48 hours... thought huh? I looked in the task manager and there were 2 processes of the game running :p

I usually find out its happening to me when I can't exit out of steam

dapneym
04-03-2010, 12:49 PM
I've had this happen to me as well quite often, but it's happened to me on nVidia driver versions from 197.13 to 197.25. I don't remember if I got it before that.

Shanawa
04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
It does this for me as well.

rabbit54
04-03-2010, 03:19 PM
It's not steam, I have non-Steam version and it still does this.

tinsteelviper
04-03-2010, 05:56 PM
It's not steam, I have non-Steam version and it still does this.

so is it the Nvidea drivers then?

xyos212
04-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Happens to me too. Using Steam Beta, Windows 7 64 bit, 197.13 Nvidia driver, and it only does it with Battlefield.

OJ191
04-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Wrong it is not a steam bug. If you check task manager bfbc2game.exe is still running

this can cause lag too if it happnes and you don't end it.

wazups 2x
04-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Wrong it is not a steam bug. If you check task manager bfbc2game.exe is still running

this can cause lag too if it happnes and you don't end it.

Yep, this is not a Steam bug, it's a BF:BC2 bug. BF:BC2 process will hang in the background so Steam still thinks it's running. Open the task-manager, check the precesses and you will see that the BF:BC2 process is still running.

davep
04-03-2010, 07:51 PM
do you guys know for a fact it isn't a Steam bug? have you had this happen to you in the retail version of the game not using Steam?

Overt.Enemy
04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
This hasn't ever happened to me that I know of. Interesting.

wazups 2x
04-03-2010, 07:57 PM
do you guys know for a fact it isn't a Steam bug? have you had this happen to you in the retail version of the game not using Steam?

Yes, I know for a fact. Many people in the official forums were also having this issue with the retail version.

davep
04-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Yes, I know for a fact. Many people in the official forums were also having this issue with the retail version.

ok, just thought it was a Steam issue. Thank you for confirming.

Buick72
04-03-2010, 08:08 PM
It is.

Steam bug, not game bug.

Happens to me now and then and I don't run the game on steam. Nor do I have steam running when I play. So, I don;t think it's steam related.

xyos212
04-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Luckily I noticed easily since I have all my games to disable desktop composition and Windows Aero on launch, then re-enable when the game closes.

If windows does not change back to Aero when I close the game, it makes me aware that the process is still running.

If you guys are not disabling Windows Aero with Vista/7 DO IT! You gain a nice 5-10 FPS boost in any game despite your hardware. Its just extra strain on the GPU that you dont really need if your in Full screen mode.

Sk1lld
04-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I have to hit ctrl + alt + delete and manually stop it from the processes tab. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

If you have a nVidia card you'll find this happening with some of their drivers, I can confirm that the 197.25 beta's from nVidias site fixed this issue for me.

Win 7 X64

XEshamX
04-04-2010, 10:15 AM
its the nvidia drivers.

Go back to an older driver and the behaviour stops

wazups 2x
04-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Luckily I noticed easily since I have all my games to disable desktop composition and Windows Aero on launch, then re-enable when the game closes.

If windows does not change back to Aero when I close the game, it makes me aware that the process is still running.

If you guys are not disabling Windows Aero with Vista/7 DO IT! You gain a nice 5-10 FPS boost in any game despite your hardware. Its just extra strain on the GPU that you dont really need if your in Full screen mode.

You don't have to set it to do that. Anytime a game goes into fullscreen Vista/Win7 already disables aero without changing anything.

xyos212
04-04-2010, 02:55 PM
You don't have to set it to do that. Anytime a game goes into fullscreen Vista/Win7 already disables aero without changing anything.

No, it does not. Its disabled when you launch the game, see the taskbar change to flat old XP style, and get the windows prompt saying its been changed to W7 basic.

You HAVE to right click application, settings, disable visual themes, and desktop composition on launch.

Dont do this for the Steam App, just the Launcher for whatever game your running, usually in the steamapps/common/yourgame section of the Steam folder.

Windows Aero does NOT automatically turn off when games are launched, you have to change it like I stated above. Please dont say things that you know nothing about...

wazups 2x
04-04-2010, 05:54 PM
No, it does not. Its disabled when you launch the game, see the taskbar change to flat old XP style, and get the windows prompt saying its been changed to W7 basic.

You HAVE to right click application, settings, disable visual themes, and desktop composition on launch.

Dont do this for the Steam App, just the Launcher for whatever game your running, usually in the steamapps/common/yourgame section of the Steam folder.

Windows Aero does NOT automatically turn off when games are launched, you have to change it like I stated above. Please dont say things that you know nothing about...

In Vista and Windows 7 Windows Aero is automatically disabled when a game is launched in fullscreen. I know this for a FACT. Please dont say things that you know nothing about...

xyos212
04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Alright, Im not trying to win a random internet forum argument, just Do what I said. Without changing those two settings Aero and Windows graphical enhancements will NOT be turned off. Your theme will stay the same as you launch, and it will run in the background.

What your referencing is Windows disabling Aero automatically for the GAME ALONE, NOT WINDOWS ENTIRELY. This means that all the snazzy features will be available for other programs and windows, but off for the game itself.

For performance reasons you can turn it all off when the game is running. This method disables it entirely when the game runs freeing up extra un-needed stress on the GPU, and a small amount of memory.

Yes, your correct it disables aero for THE GAME APPLICATION, but does not turn it off.

STEVENXO
04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Happens to me as well. Only game I have that this occurs with, both on and off Steam.

wazups 2x
04-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Alright, Im not trying to win a random internet forum argument, just Do what I said. Without changing those two settings Aero and Windows graphical enhancements will NOT be turned off. Your theme will stay the same as you launch, and it will run in the background.

What your referencing is Windows disabling Aero automatically for the GAME ALONE, NOT WINDOWS ENTIRELY. This means that all the snazzy features will be available for other programs and windows, but off for the game itself.

For performance reasons you can turn it all off when the game is running. This method disables it entirely when the game runs freeing up extra un-needed stress on the GPU, and a small amount of memory.

Yes, your correct it disables aero for THE GAME APPLICATION, but does not turn it off.

I'm a little confused as to what you're saying. Windows Aero is completely disabled when I play a game in fullscreen. The taskbar goes to basic, and everything goes to basic. No more transparency on any program in the background.

I'm lost, what does your method do exactly? I'm not seeing how it's any different than what Windows already does automatically without changing any options?

Tony Danza
04-04-2010, 08:43 PM
This happens to me with ATI Catalyst 10, 10.2 and 10.3

Don't blame nVidia.

nelsinho11
04-05-2010, 04:33 AM
it's not nvidia's fault, it's not a steam issue.

it's either BC2 itself, or 64bit OSs having problems closing BC2 cuz it's a 32bit process.

Stronin
04-20-2010, 10:05 PM
it's not nvidia's fault, it's not a steam issue.

it's either BC2 itself, or 64bit OSs having problems closing BC2 cuz it's a 32bit process.

I tend to wonder if this is the case as well. I'm running Win7 64bit and the same thing happens to me.

I also happen to be running a gtx260 with latest Nvidia drivers though. *shrug*

Or is it just a coincidence related to the fact that a lot of people use 64bit OS these days?

Beezy
04-20-2010, 10:08 PM
I tend to wonder if this is the case as well. I'm running Win7 64bit and the same thing happens to me.

I also happen to be running a gtx260 with latest Nvidia drivers though. *shrug*

Or is it just a coincidence related to the fact that a lot of people use 64bit OS these days?

To clear the air on the previously mentioned hypotheses:

I had this happen with other games. It's not just BFBC2.

I had this happen when I ran an Nvidia 8600gt.

It still happens with an ATI 5770.

I had this happen with Windows XP. (32bit)

It still happens with Windows 7 64bit.

So I don't think any of the assumptions are right.

I for one think it's a Steam bug, but that's just my opinion.