PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting the DX9 chipset error, any help?

npa189
04-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm fully updated and I have the latest drivers for everything. I'm on win7 64bit with a Core 2 quad, and a GTS 250. When i first bought it on tuesday I could play no problem until friday. I've verified, reinstalled, and have the latest DX9 and DX10. Is there anything I can do?

Taviyo
04-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I am suffering from the same problem.

I have found 2 solutions to this problem online. Neither work consistently as this problem seems to revisit my computer periodically.

1. Fiddle with your display settings including resolution and color depth (change from 32 bit to 16 bit)

2. change your dpi settings to 96.

The developer seems to be working on a fix for this although they are certainly taking their time. It is not a problem with your system, it is a problem with the game.

T

npa189
04-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the help, I'll try that, but nothing I do seems to work, and its driving me crazy that it worked just a few days ago.

Taviyo
04-06-2010, 03:15 PM
I figured out how to get mine working again and it involves changing the config.lua file in the main game directory to allow for 'windowed' operation which will allow you to get in and hopefully change the games graphics settings that are causing you this issue.

The config files are found here:

Tropico3Windowed.zip (http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/25461175/file.html)

Just download and read the readme.txt for instructions.

Once I changed the config.lua file, I was able to start the game and change my display settings within the game. After that you can change the config.lua back to the original and play the game un-windowed.

Good Luck!

T

BloodShed
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I figured out how to get mine working again and it involves changing the config.lua file in the main game directory to allow for 'windowed' operation which will allow you to get in and hopefully change the games graphics settings that are causing you this issue.

Once I changed the config.lua file, I was able to start the game and change my display settings within the game. After that you can change the config.lua back to the original and play the game un-windowed.

Good Luck!

T

Thanks dude

That fixed it right up ^_^

Have some rep.

Teo
05-17-2010, 03:29 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have not been able to find the config.lua file. I have been able to find other config files from steam games. I am still running XP. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Unc

Alexc26
05-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have not been able to find the config.lua file. I have been able to find other config files from steam games. I am still running XP. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Unc

Its in the Tropico 3 steam folder, so go to the drive is installed, then steam, steamapps, common, tropico 3, and the config.lua is there.

morrins
05-17-2010, 04:26 AM

Good Luck!

T

This solution was fine for me. I could execute the game in windowed mode. Thank you very much. Does anybody know why that error come through?

BloodShed
05-17-2010, 05:23 AM
This solution was fine for me. I could execute the game in windowed mode. Thank you very much. Does anybody know why that error come through?

Im guessing it can't detect your GFX card properly and tries to start in a resolution your GFX or monitor doesn't support.

Primebeef
05-21-2010, 06:57 AM
that worked for me !

you sir are my hero :)

thank you !

Mr_Pantaloons
06-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Just wanted to say that I got this problem too when I was gaming on my monitor and I unplugged it from my laptop. Since the monitor's resolution was higher than my laptop's, the game tried to set a resolution that the laptop's display couldn't handle, and thus it gave me that error. Using the config to windowed mode, going into the game to change the res, and changing back to full mode did the trick.

So general word of advice: if you switch displays from a higher-res display to a lower-res one, make sure you change the game's resolution before hand. Failing that, try this method. It worked for me :D

Ph0rn0
06-25-2010, 11:00 PM

Good Luck!

T

My saviour! I will have your babies if you want, I'm pretty good looking so we will have good looking kids.... unless you are an ugmo. rep'd

jeezy34
06-26-2010, 11:05 AM
how do you overwrite the config.lua witn the config.window?

Meerschweinpari
06-30-2010, 06:07 PM
hi, das Spiel startet und der Monitor sagt ,,außer Reichweite"??? Alle anderen Spiele von Steam laufen bei mir ohne Probleme.

Forrest GIMP
07-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks Taviyo!

sirrusty
08-16-2010, 07:38 AM
This may be a possible solution for people that can't get the resolution thing to work.

RE: Critical Error - NVIDIA OK
My problem was this: The demo that I downloaded was working but the steam special edition would get a critical error. My drivers were fine, my video chipsets were fine, but I couldn't get any help from anyone. I e-mailed Kalypso but I guess they didn't get to check it. There were solutions from some guy I think Taviyo or something suggesting that we should "change the resolution and modify the .lua file of the game to launch it in windowed mode," but that didn't work at all. You can actually launch any game in steam into windowed mode by modifying the launch preferences anyways. This solution by Reno911 worked perfectly for me. It involves locating the crash files junk and deleting them.
From Reno911:

Try erasing everything here D:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Tropico 3 or type this in run %APPDATA%\Tropico 3

this worked for me after 3 days of not playing the game.

After 2 weeks of not being able to play the game after recently buying it, this worked perfectly for me. I am running the game on max settings without any problems so Idk what the deal is with resolution but it doesn't apply in my scenario. This is my attempt to post Reno911's solution in an effort to help answer the frustrating problem of not being able to play this awesome game. I hope everyone gets to read this and I hope that it works.

sulobaid
10-04-2010, 04:11 AM
whenever I replace the config.lua with either the config-windowed rununfocused.lua or the config-original.lua the game will not load or play at all, and if I place the windowed.lua in the file along with the config.lua it changes nothing. What am I doing wrong?

thanks Sulo