PDA

View Full Version : Post patch slowdown during sieges

browncg2
04-04-2010, 07:25 AM
After the latest Empire Total War patch, I am experiencing a serious loss of framerate during siege battles. I did not experience this slowdown prior to the patch so I believe it is patch related. The slowdown becomes progressively worse over time, skipping the random frame(s) at first, until eventually I am playing at about 1 frame per 2 seconds.

There are several instances where the slowdown seems to occur more frequently:

1) when pausing the game
2) alt-tabing out to the desktop and re-entering a battle
3) knocking down the enemies walls with cannon.

I should probably add... that the slowdown eventually freezes the game to a virtual standstill requiring CNTRL-ALT-DELETE to quit the game.

black_feather
04-05-2010, 06:52 AM
yeah I had that too the other day when I knocked their walls down with my cannons, I had to ctrl alt delete to get out of the game it was so unresponsive.

Washell
04-06-2010, 01:51 AM
What I experienced wasn't the actual FPS/graphics slowing down, could zoom around the map just fine. But the game and the interface get bogged down to a virtual standstill.

I think one of the AI changes is getting units stuck on a loop or something so your CPU is going 'go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/go here/no here/', leaving little time for anything else.

In my case I was defending and once I knocked them all of the wall, the game returned to normal. When I do a siege battle now, I park all/most my units outside, that worked so far but a fix would be nice.

diabolic_wizard
04-06-2010, 02:18 AM
I'm experencing the exact same slowdown. I think it's cause is some units stuck up or 'inside' the walls that went down. Some wall parts remains, but without a ledder or ramp going down, so remaining soldiers on the wall stuck. If you can find and kill them game will return to normal. This stucking bug also occurs by the tearing down the fortifications on the sides of the main gates of a star fort. Normal forts are less buggy.

Tobus
04-12-2010, 04:22 AM
I also have this, but also find this happens when fighting in cities without walls. When turning the camera away from the town but on my army (looking fromn "the front" instead of "behind", the framerate woes go away, everything runs silky smooth. When moving the camera "over" the town, all is smooth again. When buildings come into picture, the framerate woes are back. A good testcase is the battle for Bunker Hill in Independence III start. The city of Boston is in the background slowing down my game immensely, but not enough to make it unplayable like "normal" citybattles.

Strangely, only some towns and some fortresses give my headaches, and at random at that.

browncg2
04-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Knocking down the walls caused my PC to go unresponsive again. It started skipping a frame update or two at first, then within about 3 minutes I was playing at 0.2 frames per second. The improved A.I. has indeed made these battles much more difficult to win.

Mormacil
04-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Huge slowdown on FastForward in sieges. Seriously unfunny drops to 1-5 fps.

Gosko
04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Having same problem also :(

BDK
04-15-2010, 12:01 AM
It's a path finding issue when the ai (or your troops) get stuck in a gate. Broken game is broken.

Telpeurion
04-20-2010, 04:13 PM
When it does this, reduce speed to slow motion until it goes away, then return to normal.

Ryuga
05-29-2010, 04:55 AM
ew, it didn't get fixed yet? just attacked an Austrian fort and everything got locked as soon as i destroyed a few wall sections and some enemy units got stuck trying to exit through the gates... (definitely not a graphics problem, as i can still move the camera around smoothly, it's a game logic problem)

MeetYourMaker
08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I have this problem and have a little more information on it. I knocked down the corner section of an Fort in Maratha territory (so you know the 'style' of the fort) and tha AI reacted by placing men defending the gap just inside the fort. Slow down happened and steadily got worse like it does and the game crawled along. I fixed the battle slowdown by using my generals caverly to go so close to the enemies units then running away that they 'went for them' ... bang ... game running normal again :p

It is definatly a problem with the AI script.

The only question that I have is ... Is this going to get fixed?

Washell
08-05-2010, 12:14 PM
The only question that I have is ... Is this going to get fixed?

Doubtful, if a fan/modder could fix it, it would have been out by now.

CA already said 1.5 would be the last patch, released 1.6 2 weeks before Napoleon's release to (speculation) improve their image and subsequent sales of Napoleon. There's not going to be a 1.7.

MeetYourMaker
08-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Doubtful, if a fan/modder could fix it, it would have been out by now.

CA already said 1.5 would be the last patch, released 1.6 2 weeks before Napoleon's release to (speculation) improve their image and subsequent sales of Napoleon. There's not going to be a 1.7.

So to get to the point, We have all paid good money for Empire (30 quid in my case plus the downloadable content) only to end up with a broken game that has no intent of being fixed?

The law states that a product must be able to be used as it is intended otherwise a refund is the most likely route.

I am not happy that this game breaker will not be fixed and that instead we should "all buy Napolean".

I WAS going to buy Napolean, now they are not going to see another penny off me until they FIX THE DAMN THING!

browncg2
08-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Siege battles are such a waste now.

A.I. infantry wants to follow 3 simple rules: shoot from the wall, accumulate at a break in the wall, or retreat to the center. The AI doesn't retreat into the buildings for last-line defense. The excellent fields of fire provided by star forts are completely wasted since the AI refuses to set up infantry to the areas accessed by bridges.

Horse-drawn artillary are static for entire battles, sitting like ducks outside the walls. They should be inside the walls, pointing at any holes with barrels full of death shot.

And it seems the enemy cavalry wants to excessively run to exhaustion by peek a booing out the gate and then quickly retreating back inside at full gallop... like they want to tease my cannons or something.

The A.I. glitch just made the entire process even more ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.