PDA

View Full Version : Scripts/Bots sending steam group invites

NCi-DaZeD
04-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Can i please get a stance that valve has on scripts/bots sending invites to people to join your steam group when they join your server?

Thank you

Maledict21
04-04-2010, 03:44 PM
They have implemented a 250 invites per hour limit for groups to cut down on invite spam. For more information, see this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145595) thread.

NCi-DaZeD
04-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the link to that thread, it was helpful.

The admins still did not give a clear cut answer though, they basically said it's okay because it's a free service and they won't be able to stop it, so in order to sort of limit the spam they have made a 250 per hour limit.

Can i get an admin to give me a definitive answer though, please?

Thanks

Fuzz Bucket
04-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Bottom line is, people will not appreciate unsolicited invites.

NCi-DaZeD
04-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Bottom line is, people will not appreciate unsolicited invites.

I want to know Valves stance on it.

Fuzz Bucket
04-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I want to know Valves stance on it.
I understand. I'm pretty sure Valve will not appreciate anything that will annoy their customers, though.

NCi-DaZeD
04-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I understand. I'm pretty sure Valve will not appreciate anything that will annoy their customers, though.

Then why is it that nearly every group in the top 50 has these bots and none of them have been punished for it?

Fuzz Bucket
04-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Then why is it that nearly every group in the top 50 has these bots and none of them have been punished for it?
Not sure. Personally, I haven't seen any of these groups you are talking about, nor have I received invites from them.

NCi-DaZeD
04-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Can a admin please get me an answer?

1nsane
04-05-2010, 03:16 PM
250 invites per hour and you can only be invited to a group once.

Seems almost reasonable.

Because if they started punishing groups who had invite bots then those groups would set their invite bots on other innocent groups to get them punished for no reason.

NCi-DaZeD
04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
250 invites per hour and you can only be invited to a group once.

Seems almost reasonable.

Because if they started punishing groups who had invite bots then those groups would set their invite bots on other innocent groups to get them punished for no reason.

I'm trying to get a response from an admin, but i don't think you understand why i said that - i said that because he said it was "frowned upon" and that valve wouldn't take kindly to it etc. etc.

davlyn_20
04-06-2010, 05:53 AM
They have implemented a 250 invites per hour limit for groups to cut down on invite spam. For more information, see this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145595) thread.

250 is already too much, max 10 invite per day :D

dtastones
04-06-2010, 06:23 AM
For the life of me i can't figure out why anyone needs a bot for a public group. I mean why do you want to spam people who join your server to join a group? It's not going to say make myself join that server more, ten to one it will just make me blacklist it. I say let your server grow and let people join who want to join that way no one is being spammed in another form. It's bad enough that we get spammed just from people selling email addresses and i say you probably don't like that happening to you do you? :confused:

Fuzz Bucket
04-06-2010, 06:54 AM
For the life of me i can't figure out why anyone needs a bot for a public group. I mean why do you want to spam people who join your server to join a group? It's not going to say make myself join that server more, ten to one it will just make me blacklist it. I say let your server grow and let people join who want to join that way no one is being spammed in another form. It's bad enough that we get spammed just from people selling email addresses and i say you probably don't like that happening to you do you? :confused:
2 h@v 73h b199357 9r0u9, d00d. :rolleyes:

Mangr0v3
04-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Just like facebook :rolleyes:

dtastones
04-06-2010, 08:11 AM
2 h@v 73h b199357 9r0u9, d00d. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Figured as much

NCi-DaZeD
04-06-2010, 12:09 PM

we want the people joining our servers to join our group because we do tons of giveaways and want our forums popping, etc. etc.

ICantShoot
04-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Invite bots sucks and using them to invite people on your group sucks even more. 250 invites per hour is way too much. 20 invites per day should be enough for most people. If you are a group owner, then 40. Heck, i may use 1 per month, sometimes not even that much. If i want people to join my group, i want it to be voluntarely, not because of invites or forcing them. Current system is just unfair but i guess there is nothing that can be done.

Some people think that if they have lots of members, they appear to be a big honking group and can present themselves in a better light for those who do now know better. Like presenting themselves in a website "we have 50000 members and growing" and then some idiot advertiser thinks oh we gotta get our adds on that site and then the owner of the group and website gets the money. Is it legal? Yes. Is it ethically correct thing to do? No. It's misleading.

Some people even set up a bot because their group was a lot more unpopular than the others. So while they have practically no players on their steamgroup servers, then they suddenly have within a month over 5000 members more within their steamgroup than the other that has genuinely a lot of people joining in out of their own will.

I reject every invite that i get from the big groups or groups which i do not know of before invite. Sadly most people accept the random invites. They are like zombies without their own will.

dtastones
04-07-2010, 02:51 AM
we want the people joining our servers to join our group because we do tons of giveaways and want our forums popping, etc. etc.

Ok then give me your e-mail addy and i'll sign you up for from stuff that i'm giving away. Sure it may include alot of spam but who cares right? What ever happened to having adminmod back in the day spamming something with big green letters saying "vist www.****.*** for a chance to win *****"? Guess that wasn't enough oh well.......