PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3 GOTY freezing/crashing Issue Win7 64 bit

Levelouk
04-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Well while i was on R and R leave from Iraq,i downloaded Fallout 3 GOTY edition on steam and i noticed that for no reason(it seems) the game freezes,and i have not even gotten out of vault 101, I deleted Nero Essentials,Changed to windows 7 basic theme,tried running in multiple compatability Modes,and still it continues to freeze.Here are my specs

Alienware M15x(built in 2010)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Intel core i7 M 620(2 cores)@ 2.67 ghz(turboboost 3.33 ghz)
4 Gb of DDR3 ram
Nvidia Geforce GT 240m 1GB Dedicated

If anyone could help me i would really appreciate it,I'm only in iraq for 3 1/2 more months and i really want something else to do lol

thank you

Bottolf
04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the club.

This game is donkey di*k when it comes to stability.

The problem you have is the game not supporting quad core, yep you heard me right, the game that was released in November last year does NOT support quad core.
You have to go into the settingsfile and force the game to use only one core.
There are several good how to out there so just google it, it`s easy.

I had to do this and run the game in windowed mode and so on and so forth to get it to play,but one problem at the time ;)

noodlesoup
05-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Iv just reinstalled it on a vista 32bit machine, while it worked in the past, now, with patch 1.7, I cant even get to the games menu lol, it just crashes after the 2nd slide. But bottolf may be right, I think ill try it myself lol.

MonkeySeeker
05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah I had to limit my quad core to using 2 cores. I still get the occasional freeze but it's now rare and nowhere near the amount I WAS getting.

The simplest way for me was to locate and edit a line on the fallout.ini file.

It is located in

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\My Games\Fallout3 for XP

or

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Fallout3 for Vista/Win 7

Open the fallout.ini and scroll down a little, look for the following line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

It is in the [General] section of the file, if you pass [Display] you've gone slightly too far down. Change it to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

Hit enter (so it adds a new line) and add the following line:

iNumHWThreads=2

So the two lines should look like this:

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

Save the file and close and you're done.

I also had to run in windowed mode to avoid the CTD until I discovered that disabling extended desktop display mode - by either setting it to clone mode (same on both displays) or single display enabled it to run fullscreen.

akwoolf
05-21-2010, 12:13 PM
This method worked for me. No freeze-ups occured after I adjusted the ini file.

Yeah I had to limit my quad core to using 2 cores. I still get the occasional freeze but it's now rare and nowhere near the amount I WAS getting.

It is located in

or

bUseThreadedAI=0

It is in the [General] section of the file, if you pass [Display] you've gone slightly too far down. Change it to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

iNumHWThreads=2

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

I also had to run in windowed mode to avoid the CTD until I discovered that disabling extended desktop display mode - by either setting it to clone mode (same on both displays) or single display enabled it to run fullscreen.

Reviz
05-21-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm having a freezing issue myself but it only happens when I enter buildings. Could this solution also solve my problem?

Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
8 GB RAM
64 bit OS
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

T@F
05-21-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm having a freezing issue myself but it only happens when I enter buildings. Could this solution also solve my problem?

Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
8 GB RAM
64 bit OS
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

Have you tried to install K-Lite_Codec_Pack?
That stopped it saying windows have stopped responding for me when entering buildings.

Reviz
05-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Have you tried to install K-Lite_Codec_Pack?
That stopped it saying windows have stopped responding for me when entering buildings.
No, where would be a legit place to get it at?

Edit: Never mind I found it, I should probably get the 64-bit version right?

andours
06-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Bumping this, as I am having serious isues getting started. random freezing during the birth scene..

windows 7 64 bit, I5, 4gigs ddr3, ati 5650.

andours
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Seriously. Someone should sticky this... I had 5+ crashes before trying this, worked perfect.

eviatark2
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I had this problem too.
if you put on the graphic settings HDR (on the bottom) change it to bloom/none.

Mynameisdamien
06-11-2010, 10:36 AM
What if your using a dual core? Do I limit it to using just one?

juliom
06-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Bumping this, as I am having serious isues getting started. random freezing during the birth scene..

windows 7 64 bit, I5, 4gigs ddr3, ati 5650.

I had the same problem on an ATI 4870. Restart Steam so it begins to download a 400 MB update. After that my problems disappeared.

MrHorrible
06-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the club.

The problem you have is the game not supporting quad core, yep you heard me right, the game that was released in November last year does NOT support quad core.

I had to do this and run the game in windowed mode and so on and so forth to get it to play,but one problem at the time ;)

I didn't realize 2008 was last year.

Spruu
06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
It's been very stable for me, no crash during the 4 hours I put in last night. No problems of any sort. However, while it runs nice and smooth, it beats the crap out of my graphics card. No other game has made it run as hot, it actually hit 100C at one point. Actually, the Starcraft 2 beta was just as bad, but that was before I capped my framerate and V-Sync was broken.

Just a thought, maybe yours is overheating. Doesn't hurt to check. I use Real Temp to monitor that stuff.

MonkeySeeker
06-11-2010, 03:04 PM
What if your using a dual core? Do I limit it to using just one?

Yes, people with dual core cpu's have reported that limiting to one core fixed the random crashes also.

Joreel
06-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Guess I've been lucky. I have a quad core i7 2010 chipset and I haven't had any problems with Fallout 3 not liking the CPU.

Boogeyman-TPF-
06-12-2010, 01:03 AM

The simplest way for me was to locate and edit a line on the fallout.ini file...

This fixed it for me. I was getting lockups every 20 min or so. Played for 3 solid hours with no lockups after your .ini fix. +rep

My system: Core i5 750 quad core, Win 7 64 bit.

Chedda Bredda
06-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Hey Akwoolf, Did What You Said To Do With The ini file.
Worked For Me, Just Want To Say A Very Big THANK YOU, U F'N MAD DOGG!!!!!

dupton69
06-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I had the same problem on an ATI 4870. Restart Steam so it begins to download a 400 MB update. After that my problems disappeared.

this has happened a few times for me with a few games i just hope my steam downloads that patch soon its stressing me out.

mono2k10
06-12-2010, 05:11 PM

It is located in

or

bUseThreadedAI=0

bUseThreadedAI=1

iNumHWThreads=2

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

This worked like a charm. I actually looked for a solution to the constant crashing of this game for a couple days before taking it back to the store several months ago. I risked buying it during the sale this weekend and it crashed literally two seconds after opening the vault during the tutorial. And again like 10 seconds after loading back into the game. Adjusted the ini file and it ran for almost two hours without a hiccup. Excellent tip.

GTB
06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
This fixed my problem too. I'm glad I checked the steam forums.

dupton69
06-13-2010, 05:57 AM

It is located in

or

bUseThreadedAI=0

bUseThreadedAI=1

iNumHWThreads=2

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

Got tired of waiting an tried this it worked ! your a legend duuuuuuuuuuude

techweenie
06-13-2010, 03:06 PM
I had previously played Fallot 3 standard outside of steam and I just bought GOTY through steam and had the crashing problem as soon as I launched the game. I had a different computer previously also, but all my documents and files are on a separate partition so they moved to my current computer. Although I am on a quad core, my crashing problem appears to have been from invalid settings in the ini file from my previous computer. I simply deleted the old file, launched the game again, and have not had a crash yet. Hopefully this helps some of you who have installed the game more than once.

cocokiwi
06-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the club.

The problem you have is the game not supporting quad core, yep/NO you heard me right, the game that was released in November last year does NOT support quad core.OH!:eek:

I have Just switched to a 6 core AM3 3 gig 1090T with 8 gig memory and got a ATI video card! I did have a problem,It crashed at the end of the Birther Bit! I replaced the WHOLE Data file with the one on my laptop! That fixed it! My laptop is a HP dual core Intel 2.5 gig! I used it to while away the boring nights working Security!:p

That Core bit DON'T WORK !! :confused: Mine works FINE without it,and SIX cores WORK fine! Go figure WHY..It worked fine on my Laptop which has TWO CORES,My other system had 4 cores and WORKED fine Also, I found from my digging around the problem was more Flacky Apps that interfered with FO3 causing crashes,getting rid of them fixed ALL the problems I had!and I do NOT use windowed mode! I found I did have to lower the Video settings to High..with a Nvidia GTX 280..Think the settings are a little high for it or Nvidia screwed up on the software,I changed to a ATI HD 5830 1 gig and it flies at Ultra Mode 4x Ant and 15 on the other,realy looks good now!
Hmmm.spreading over TWO 23" HDTV side by side would be fun!

Anyway! I spent $$$$ on this one!Nice father's day gift to ME(grin)

Cheers ,Have a happy father's day Dennis

nicholson101
06-15-2010, 06:07 AM
worked for me...greatly appreciated :)

AMD Phenom II 955
Nvidia GTX 275
Gigabyte MA770FXT-UD4P
4gb DDR3 ram

clearmedium
08-17-2010, 01:53 AM

It is located in

or

bUseThreadedAI=0

bUseThreadedAI=1

iNumHWThreads=2

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

Thank you so much. Worked like a charm.

I just got my new MX15 a 2 months ago and after re-installing Fallout 3 I could only think "ok... so i have better hardware and now it runs like crap".

Thanks for the fix life saver!

bes
08-20-2010, 05:21 PM
I crashed just now, but im on a 6-core system, really only annoyed because the game doesnt autosave if you dont do any missions or enter any buildings.. so 2+ hours of outdoor game play is gone because I forgot to save :-P..

Hopefully it wont happen again or ill probably have to revise that post by MonkeySeeker

Spencer_Ruler
09-01-2010, 09:07 PM

The simplest way for me was to locate and edit a line on the fallout.ini file...

Fixed most of my problem. It still crashes every hour instead of every 10 minutes, but it's bearable if I quicksave often.

Toolhead87
09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
That's why I call the worst best game ever.

DigitalEnvy
09-06-2010, 11:29 AM
I had a very similar and very frustrating (to be polite) experience starting FO3 on Win7 with an i5-760 (4core cpu). I just built the system, last week, so all the drivers, DirectX, C++ rtl,.net Frame work etc. were up to date.

I never had a problem with Steam launching the game. My issue was that FO3 always crashed on start up, right at the slide-show credits to game transition.

After going through all the Steam Support standard boiler-plate suggestions and many on the forums, I found that Fallout 3 does not like any Win7 desktop theme other than basic. I had my theme set to "Aero". It finally hit me that Win7 reports Steam has changed the desktop theme to BASIC, the change just doesn't stick with FO3 beyond the intro credits, so you really must change the theme manually.

I never modified the task properties to run as "Administrator" but I did disable the "desktop composition" property under Win7. I have a feeling that I could go back and enable this property, but it ain't broke now and I don't want to fix it anymore.

I have a quad core i5-760 and I DID NOT need to edit the FALLOUT.ini to limit the cores, but I did clear the game cache.

I agree that people certainly need to get their systems up to date, but under Win7 you should set the desktop theme to Basic and eliminate a lot of frustration.

Jito463
09-06-2010, 12:19 PM
My Win7 system is set to the default Aero theme, and Fallout 3 starts for me.

DigitalEnvy
09-07-2010, 04:12 AM
@Jito463 are you running a multi-core cpu (quad/hex)?

Jito463
09-07-2010, 05:04 AM
Yes, a Phenom II x4. Don't get me wrong, if that works for you, then great. However, I merely wanted to point out that it's not a necessity.

DigitalEnvy
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I was just trying to find some common environmental factors. The "multi-core bug" is a non-issue or has been fixed somewhere along the line. Nevertheless, it could be an AMD/Intel thing or ATI/nVidia thing.

If you have an AMD/ATI combo - cpu/video card... maybe Intel multi-core w/nVidia and Aero Theme = fail. I have a GTS 250 and as I recall the Win7 error mentions something about the video card not supporting the mode. That's why Win7 was attempting to set the "Basic" theme.

Yes, a Phenom II x4. Don't get me wrong, if that works for you, then great. However, I merely wanted to point out that it's not a necessity.

Keonyn
09-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I have a Phenom XII x3 and an ATI 4830 and I was getting the crashes, so that combination doesn't seem to fix it alone. Making the recommended changes to the ini file seems to have done it. I do get brief moments of instability on rare occasions where the game will seem to run incredibly slowly for a few seconds, but maybe only once an hour and they're over quick, so it's way better than it was.

RicoKill
09-08-2010, 05:12 PM
I had the same problem with freezing game, and tryed all of the above things; nothing worked :( but found a solution that worked for my setup and want to share my findings.

I looked in the event viewer but no valid information, uninstalled k-light (32 and 64bit ver.)

Reinstalled the k-light packs, still not fixed, but now in the event viewer there was some usefull information :)

"Faulting application name: Fallout3.exe, version: 1.7.0.3
Faulting module name: ASAudio.ax, version: 1.3.2.3"

Uninstalled total media 3.5 (a mediaplayer/TV from Arcsoft, the ASAudio.ax)

Reinstalled the k-light packs and the 32bit reported an reg. error (the arcsoft) but install was able to fix it

No problem since :)

Intel Core i7 x920
2 x GeForce 285M
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

humansoup
09-09-2010, 10:34 PM
I also have the crash to desktop problem during the loading screen when I try to start a new game or a save.
I have tried the setting visual themes to Basic, taking all graphic settings to minimum, changing settings in the Fallout.ini file and still no luck.
I had played quite a bit of the game when it first came out, then after several months I got the itch to play again. It hasn't worked since, always crashing to desktop during the first loading screen.

My PC:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 6400+ (3.21GHz)
4.00GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Soundblaster X-Fi

Thanks in advance,
Mike

latooots
10-27-2010, 01:34 PM

It is located in

or

bUseThreadedAI=0

bUseThreadedAI=1

iNumHWThreads=2

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

Limiting the thread usage to 2 cores did it for me. Thanks for this useful post. :)

It was working fine on my Core2Duo Windows 7 32-bit PC and when I decided to install it on my Core i5 Windows 7 64-bit laptop it always crashes before character customization. So I thought it was perhaps due to the OS being 64-bit. I finally tried settingbUseThreadedAI=1 iNumHWThreads=2 and it worked like a charm. Core i5s are dual cores with 2 threads per core which the system considers as 4 cores.

Thanks again.

kc96909
07-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I also had freezing problems and finally came across the .ini fix here. Have 64bit sys. with an Intel i5 M460 cpu and an Ati Radeon HD 5650. I could not get the game to run past the first minute or two before it froze. Not a desktop crash but a freeze needing task manager to stop. Tried LOTS of different fixes but only the .ini fix mentioned above worked. Completely solved the problem, thanks guys!!! Why I couldn't find this solution on the Bethesda website is beyond me. Seems so simple and I know there has to be thousands of others w/same situation. Oh well, Thanx again!!

Somepie
07-09-2011, 06:57 AM
If you have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2.8 do you need to do this or is it only for processors with 4 cores?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Hope somebody can reply soon :)

nacho friend
07-09-2011, 01:33 PM
bUseThreadedAI=1 doesn't appear in any of my cfg files?

andersk
07-11-2011, 12:15 PM

It is located in

or

bUseThreadedAI=0

bUseThreadedAI=1

iNumHWThreads=2

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

Ive tried that, still I get "Fallout 3 has stopped working" during immediatly startup.

Somepie
07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Ive tried that, still I get "Fallout 3 has stopped working" during immediatly startup.

Andre, try deleting the files then launch the game (BACK THEM UP FIRST THOUGH)

People with the startup crash deleted the ini files and then stared the game. Try that and get back to me, MAKE SURE YOU BACK THEM UP FIRST THOUGH!

vedicardi
07-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I have a variety of errors going on here.

Running windows 7 SP1
4 GB ram
intel integrated graphics card (it's a laptop of course)
i3 2.3 GHz Processor

First, the game wouldn't get past the first loading screen.
I downloaded the DLL fix from some youtube video and that got me to the opening FMV (I believe, there was some crash related to the game being full screen, which was just fixed by playing windowed). It would crash right after the FMV on a black screen until I did the fix where you change those settings in in the ini file or whatever so it works with multiple processors. After doing this, I'd get far enough so I'd hear the baby cry, see white, and get the blood on the screen. Once it went far enough where I could actually see the father character and such. It crashed a moment after, I never got any further than that.

I've ran as administrator, I've ran using only one process, or I've do most all logical things, I can't figure it out.

Malmern
07-13-2011, 08:47 AM
bUseThreadedAI=1 doesn't appear in any of my cfg files?

Did you do a search for bUseThreadedAI=1 or bUseThreadedAI=0?

Its default value is "=0",
but if you don't have that in "FALLOUT.INI"
(Which is supposed to be right under "SSaveGameSafeCellID"
and right over "bChangeTimeMultSlowly",
then type it in manually/copy-paste it!

FALLOUT.INI is located in
"C:\Users\*Your username*\Documents\My Games\Fallout3"
if you are using Windows Vista/Seven

nacho friend
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
I searched EVERY cfg file using ctrl+f and it's nowhere to be found so I just added it. I only crashed once after forcing vsync off in Nvidia ctrl panel. Now I just leave it on since my rig easily maintains 60 fps smoothly. I left bUseThreadedAI=1 and iNumHWThreads=2, but am guessing it would probably be fine without it.

nrm123
07-25-2012, 02:05 PM
thanks for the help..changing the cores helped. just wondering does limiting the amount of cores the game uses affect the system in anyway? higher temperatures, more strain on CPU? etc.

Janitor_308
07-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Limiting the game to two cores in FALLOUT.INI did the trick. Thanks.

thanks for the help..changing the cores helped. just wondering does limiting the amount of cores the game uses affect the system in anyway? higher temperatures, more strain on CPU? etc.
Nothing to do with temp or strain. Just poorly written code.

nrm123
07-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Limiting the game to two cores in FALLOUT.INI did the trick. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrm123
Nothing to do with temp or strain. Just poorly written code.

thanks. i got a dual core Intel I3 530 processor which has 4 threads. I got it set to
bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=1
but someone said that i can put it the same as quad core?

Tidus755
07-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Nothing worked for me :\

nrm123
07-28-2012, 03:25 AM
Nothing worked for me :\

did you try the above and play in windowed mode?

Tidus755
07-28-2012, 07:01 PM
did you try the above and play in windowed mode?

Yep, everything. Even tried the d3d9.dll thing and nothing worked.

I tried Fallout New Vegas and it worked, but not Fallout 3 :\

EDIT: This is what worked for me
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2837747

Even though I had already done the d3d9.dll fix and it didn't work on the first time, I was able to fix it with the dll given on this thread. It was probably a different dll